Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 16:30   #1516
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndalal02 View Post
Hi,

Did Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore over the Christmas holidays. The road conditions are pretty much what everyone has recently described.

Started from Bangalore at 2.30 AM on 20th Dec and reach Wakdewadi (Shivaji nagar) at around 1.15 PM.
Return leg started at 4.30 AM on 1st Jan and reach Bellandur, Sarjapur Road at around 3.30 PM.
Both runs includes a half an hour break for coffee.

My timings were around 11 hours door to door of which 1.5 hours was spent in the city traffic. The timings from Majestic to Katraj was around 10 hours.

The return leg timing would be touch more since I did the Pune Kolhapur stretch in the dark and couldnt get any speeds beyond 100kmph due road diversions, no reflectors or markings on the road and very poor quality of the roads.
Pune - Bangalore has couple of disadvantages:
Ghat section between Pune - Satara which does not exist for Bangalore - Pune since they have a tunnel there.
Plus at Harihar there is no bypass on the return leg.

The timings could be further reduced but for the 15 odd toll plaza and improved road conditions between Hubli Dharwad and Pune - Kolhapur.

Thanks,
Nirav.
Hmmm, it's the opposite for me and I've done this Bangalore-->Pune-->Bangalore stretch around 4 to 5 times.

Pune-->Bangalore saves me more than an hour because of less traffic.

From Bangalore to Pune, I struggle when I hit Maharashtra because I find more traffic going with me. I don't know why. It's probably because a lot of them travel to Pune/Mumbai. In the return journey, the traffic is relatively less dense although I go through the same area.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:45   #1517
Distinguished - BHPian

^ It all again depends on smart timings to start on either ends that helps you beat the traffic at strategic locations.

Leaving at 4am you can actually reach Kolhapur by 11:30am with speeds between 110-120kmph all through out.

You take a break here for lunch for an hour (earlier than others do) and then continue towards Pune/Mumbai when most of the "Junta" is relaxing at a hotel parking their cars and the roads are little free too as 2 wheelers are also lesser between 1-3pm.

You easily make it to Pune by 3:30PM and cross the bypass before traffic begins to build up here too.

You Drive non stop on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to reach Panvel in 2 hours max and decide where you want to head in Mumbai and beat that traffic accordingly.

If you either leave at 3:30am or have a knack of maintaining good average speeds (not too slow, not to fast, cover good distance on stretches where you can, plan breakfast and refueling breaks properly), you can very well reach your destination in Mumbai by 5:30pm.

Having said that, for a journey that spans 1000 kms at stretch, it is stupid to keep tab on timings when you cross each via point and try to match to rate it Fast, Slow or Adequate and then try to push the throttle to gain average speeds.

Similarly, when driving back to Bangalore too, you may have to beat the Expressway truck traffic on Khandala-Lonavala Ghats during wee hours even if you start at 4am.

Also, between 3-6am, it is the worst time to do Chitradurga-Bangalore as you will experience more trucks and loads of Bangalore bound KSRTC and Private buses rushing against time, irritating you and making you wait at the last 4 toll booths before Bangalore.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 12:09   #1518
BANNED

Driving from Bangalore to Nasik with halt At Satara,
What are good options for breakfast on Pune -Mumbai bye-pass morning around 7 to 7-30 am , before taking the Dehu Road- Chakan route for Nasik,
will driving within pune city (swargate to Shivajinagar -Nasik) have significant traffic or better to go via Dehu Road- Chakan route bypassing city
Old 9th April 2014, 14:51   #1519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Driving from Bangalore to Nasik with halt At Satara,
What are good options for breakfast on Pune -Mumbai bye-pass morning around 7 to 7-30 am , before taking the Dehu Road- Chakan route for Nasik,
will driving within pune city (swargate to Shivajinagar -Nasik) have significant traffic or better to go via Dehu Road- Chakan route bypassing city
Actually, you are better off having breakfast before Khedshivpur Toll itself.

You have Mc Donalds and CCD attached to HPCL on the right hand side (When driving towards Pune). Apart from this, soon after the Khedshivpur toll you will get plenty of options (not all are good) on the left hand side for breakfast.

On the route to bypass Pune for Nashik Route: Assuming that you are on the Dehu Road bypass at 8AM, it is still a bad time to enter the city, Pass the messy area of Swargate.

Hence the Dehu road-Chakan holds good for now. But if you want to take the city route, getting down at Chandani Chowk followed by Karve Road - Shivajinagar- Old Mumbai Pune Highway and Nashik Phata is not a bad deal but Peak hour traffic in Pune gets bad too..
Old 28th April 2014, 18:15   #1520
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to pune from bangalore on 1st May and need some advise.
I am travelling with family and plan to start around 4 am from bangalore,so wanted to know where should be plan to stop for breakfast and lunch .

Also if i start by 4am from bangalore by what time i can expect to reach Sakore Nagar, Nr. Symbiosis College .

Please advise.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2014, 18:26   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I am travelling with family and plan to start around 4 am from bangalore,so wanted to know where should be plan to stop for breakfast and lunch .
3 Options depending on the progress that you make:

1. "Sai International" - 30 Kms after Karad and 30 Kms before Kolhapur (Left side)
2. "Mc Donalds" at Kolhapur Bypass (Right side)
3. "Amar - Only Veg" - After Nippani town, beginning of Tawandi Ghats on the right hand side

Quote:
Also if i start by 4am from bangalore by what time i can expect to reach Sakore Nagar, Nr. Symbiosis College .
4AM will be a very ideal time and you can very much reach your final destination by 5PM with regular cruising speeds than rushing (with all your breaks!) Since I read your destination as Sakore Nagar which is near Viman Nagar, budget at least 45-60 minutes to traverse from Pune Bypass to this place in the city traffic.

Take Swargate - Shankarseth Road - Camp - Koregaon Park option to reach your destination around this time of the day. There are few options(read better) to avoid the traffic when it comes to reaching Nagar road areas from NH4.

EDIT: By the way, if you actually meant breakfast and lunch options for Bangalore-Pune then here is the list:

1. Kamat - Ranebennur Bypass
2. Ghar - Beginning of Haveri Bypass
3. Garuda - Shiggaon
4. CCD - Attached to Garuda, Shiggaon

For lunch,
1. Sankam - Off Belgaum Bypass
2. Amar Only Veg - End of Tawandi Ghat on left side
3. Mc Donalds - Kolhapur Bypass
4. Hotel Prasad - Sangli fork on Kolhapur Bypass

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th April 2014 at 18:34.
Old 28th April 2014, 18:32   #1522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am driving to pune from bangalore on 1st May and need some advise.

4AM : Perfect time to start.

8AM : Ranebennur Kamat
1-2 PM : Kolhapur (McD or any place for lunch). Or Sai International. (some what beyond Kolhapur)
7PM : Pune

If you intend to use any part of NICE road, I would say take the ORR all the way. It ends right at the point where the elevated toll road on NH4 starts. And early morning no traffic on ORR as well.

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2014 at 18:34.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:04   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
3 Options depending on the progress that you make:

1. "Sai International" - 30 Kms after Karad and 30 Kms before Kolhapur (Left side)
2. "Mc Donalds" at Kolhapur Bypass (Right side)
3. "Amar - Only Veg" - After Nippani town, beginning of Tawandi Ghats on the right hand side

4AM will be a very ideal time and you can very much reach your final destination by 5PM with regular cruising speeds than rushing (with all your breaks!) Since I read your destination as Sakore Nagar which is near Viman Nagar, budget at least 45-60 minutes to traverse from Pune Bypass to this place in the city traffic.

Take Swargate - Shankarseth Road - Camp - Koregaon Park option to reach your destination around this time of the day. There are few options(read better) to avoid the traffic when it comes to reaching Nagar road areas from NH4.

EDIT: By the way, if you actually meant breakfast and lunch options for Bangalore-Pune then here is the list:

1. Kamat - Ranebennur Bypass
2. Ghar - Beginning of Haveri Bypass
3. Garuda - Shiggaon
4. CCD - Attached to Garuda, Shiggaon

For lunch,
1. Sankam - Off Belgaum Bypass
2. Amar Only Veg - End of Tawandi Ghat on left side
3. Mc Donalds - Kolhapur Bypass
4. Hotel Prasad - Sangli fork on Kolhapur Bypass
Thanks Parag.
By what time we can expect to reach kolhapur ?

Last edited by Schoudhury : 28th April 2014 at 19:05.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:16   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag.
By what time we can expect to reach kolhapur ?
Kolhapur between 12:30 and 13:30 - This, with normal cruising speeds between 100-110KMPH with breaks and a 4AM confirmed start.

Sankam to Amar is around 60 minutes
Amar to McDs will be around 30 minutes
McDs to Sai International will be 30 minutes

And I also forgot that there is Vittal Kamats now just before Karad on the left hand side.

During my Gujarat drive in Jan, I started from my North Bangalore residence at 4:30AM, stopped at Kamat (near Hubli) for Breakfast and was at Karad (Vittal Kamat) which was 625+kms away from Home at 13:30 Hours for my lunch and was on Pune Bypass around 3:30PM.

My speeds were usually between 110-120kmph.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th April 2014 at 19:20.
Old 29th April 2014, 09:48   #1525
Senior - BHPian

I am doing Bangalote-Mumbai now and having breakfast at Kamat, Ranebennur. What is the ideal place for lunch? Any non veg eateries enroute?
Old 29th April 2014, 09:52   #1526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am doing Bangalote-Mumbai now and having breakfast at Kamat, Ranebennur. What is the ideal place for lunch? Any non veg eateries enroute?
Early 12PM: Belgaum : Sankam
Ideal: Kolhapur McD
A bit late : Sai International (30km beyond Kolhapur). Its on the other side of the highway when you are heading towards Pune.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:55   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Early 12PM: Belgaum : Sankam
Ideal: Kolhapur McD
A bit late : Sai International (30km beyond Kolhapur). Its on the other side of the highway when you are heading towards Pune.
Having lunch at kolhapur McD.
Noticed two only veg hotels in the ghat near Nippani. Anyone been there?

Thanks,

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th April 2014 at 13:56.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:17   #1528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Having lunch at kolhapur McD.
Noticed two only veg hotels in the ghat near Nippani. Anyone been there?

Thanks,
Ghar is no good.
For lunch your are better off with Sankam on the Bypass or Amar-Only veg (End of Tawandi Ghat) or Mcd on Kolhapur Bypass.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:33   #1529
BHPian

I am also going on 1st of May to Pune and I think 4 am is the best timing. Last time I went I reached Satara by 1 pm and then had to take a break for lunch. Had I carried lunch I probably would have been home in Pune by 2-30.
Anyway since I will start late , I will probably be in Belgaum by 1 pm. Where is hotel Sankam exactly ? We usually go to Ramdev which is near KLE college just off the highway.The food is OK and it is quite near the highway. Would like to try Sankam.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:54   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Where is hotel Sankam exactly ? We usually go to Ramdev which is near KLE college just off the highway.
Ideally, don't take any of the exits marked for Belgaum city as you are nearing Belgaum.
You will then see a service road at your level on the left with oncoming traffic. Soon after this the bridge descends and on the left you will see a shop with Belgaum "Kunda" written on it.

Soon after this shop, there will be a flashing Orange lamp post on the left indicating/cautioning merging traffic from Service lane.

Take a Left Handed U-Turn here and drive back for around 150-200 meters and take a right.

You will first spot an IOCL Fuel station on the right and Sankam next to it.

Drive ahead to take a U-Turn and enter Sankam.

Here is the Map URL for your assistance:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/15.8...d15.862278!3e0

Note: Sankam Residency has a huge neon sign visible from a good distance. You will see this coming closer as you drive towards Pune and at one point cross this Hotel on the left and soon after this is where you descend from an overbridge and take a Left handed U-Turn.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks