Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 11:46   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Does anyone has update on Rannebannur BP COCO?

Google maps display it as closed, I would not be surprised to find the restaurant along with the bunk closed since it was empty most times. However closing bunk seems a bit strange.

Google maps is known to show wrong updates earlier, hence the doubt.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20150108114026.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 8th January 2015 at 11:48.
Old 8th January 2015, 11:52   #1667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Google maps display it as closed, I would not be surprised to find the restaurant along with the bunk closed since it was empty most times. However closing bunk seems a bit strange.

Attachment 1325331
Its very much functional but the Synonymous Ghar Dhaba with BPCL changed hands and got so many new owners and is now unofficially "Ghar Rajasthani Dhaba".

Good place for refueling but considering its hardly 300 kms from Bangalore, it becomes a not so famous filling station.

Its got a proper U Turn if one is driving towards Bangalore and makes access easier.

Just 30 minutes ahead you have an IOCL on your right (Non Operational Kamat) on Davangere bypass which is now 24×7 too.

Bottomline - The COCO is very much functional but avoid the restaurant.

Edit- Driving Mumbai tomorrow evening. So will post latest details about this station

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th January 2015 at 11:58.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 22:11   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpreetsingh View Post
I encountered traffic from Mumbai -Pune expressway onwards( heavy vehicle traffic) and then a lot of locals on the road till Maharashtra border. This made my average speed to be on lower side...Almost on each and every toll booths in Maharashtra side, I observed long queues and that also slowed me down. While the toll booths on Karnataka side, it was faster access....I encountered lesser traffic within Karnataka limits. Once into MH limits, the local traffic( 2 wheeler, tractor with trailers etc.) actually slows you down. Then the traffic to cross Pune city was another downer.

Nice detailed trip review.

Agree, it certainly takes much more time in Maharashtra, particularly the Kolhapur Mumbai leg. I feel it is because of higher traffic volumes because of so many hill stations and towns.

The Nippani Kolhapur stretch is pretty quick, though.
Old 11th January 2015, 22:27   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Nice detailed trip review.

Agree, it certainly takes much more time in Maharashtra, particularly the Kolhapur Mumbai leg. I feel it is because of higher traffic volumes because of so many hill stations and towns.

The Nippani Kolhapur stretch is pretty quick, though.
Thanks Mooza.

Yes once you cross Kolhapur ( on the way to Bangalore) then the traffic is lesser and then its easy to maintain a good avg speed ( without too much speeding)

Also, my experience, it took 30 min extra time for Mumbai - Kolhapur in Morning on 25th Dec than the return trip on 29th ( when I crossed this stretch in afternoon)

The toll booth had longer queues in morning on 25th ( may be lot of people going out on long christmas weekend or thats the time for heavy vehicle traffic) and I spent more than 10 min of waiting time in almost every toll booth.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:48   #1670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
Yes, this is exactly under the Railway Bridge and it is only on one side - Pune - Bangalore. The other side (BLR-Pune) does not have a hump - strange.
Drove Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore last weekend. As many reported, the roads in Karnataka side have indeed improved. The tradition continues as NHAI exhibits its love for faster tollways with speed breakers .

The latest list is as below:

Quote:
Bangalore-Pune:

Zero Point – NTBL Toll

For the benefit of those who get onto NH4 from NICE, I have opted to keep the NTBL toll soon after exiting NICE as zero point. So even if one is driving from Yeshwantpur, you can set one of the Trip meters to “0” exactly when you pass this booth on your left while on the main corridor.
  1. 46.2 Kms
  2. 213 Kms
  3. 262 Kms
  4. 291.5 Kms
  5. 333.7 Kms
  6. 370 Kms
  7. 449.5 Kms
  8. 451.7 Kms

Pune-Bangalore:

Zero Point – Kognoli Toll Booth – This is where the current toll fare is 35 INR. Else you can simply read the receipt and get to know the toll booth name.
  1. 115.3 Kms
  2. 117 Kms
  3. 197 Kms
  4. 240 Kms
  5. 304.8 Kms
  6. 355 Kms
  7. 366.8 Kms
  8. 372.7 Kms
  9. 388 Kms
  10. 389 Kms
  11. 522.7 Kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Attachment 1325331
The update is that the Fuel station is very much functional like I had earlier mentioned. Took a snap of it while we passed this during our onward Journey around 7pm.
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0055.jpg

Pune - Satara - Kolhapur with a Sunday noon departure:

We know its horrible to drive this stretch during the day due to miscellaneous traffic and thousands and thousands of 2 wheelers cutting your speed to single digits, often!

Here's what the highway looked like on a Sunday between Karad till Karnataka Border-
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0019.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0020.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0022.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0023.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0024.jpg

This is the COCO Fuel station I was referring to that one gets soon after getting into Karnataka. Stop here for cheaper fuel (easily 2 Rs cheaper than MH) and he accepts cards as well.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20150112wa0032.jpg

Chalagere Toll booth scam alert:

This happened for the 4th time in the last 45 days.

The toll amount is 95. No matter you pass a Rs 100 or 500 or 1000 denomination note, you will be asked for Rs.5 change. If you decline, you get the printed toll receipt as usual along with a set of coins.

In a hurry you may only count the notes but not the coins thinking it will be right but NO. You are returned on Rs. 4.

Why am I fussy about 1 Re now?

This happened for the 4th time. My dad counted it after we moved and I said it may have happened by mistake and during the next drive they did that again. So when you say its 4, they take back the coins and return a soiled 5 Rs note (which I am still OK).

Yesterday, I simply got annoyed as it had become a regular occurrence.

The booth attendant was arrogant (despite his mistake) and said a lot of people pass him 4 instead of 5. I said "What am I supposed to do? Why are you passing that on me for that loss?"

I also said - "would you have told you have a rupee less, please adjust, I may have simply continued"

This fella has all the arrogance to say nothing will happen even if we called his manager!!

Now, all 3 of the occupants get down (there was only a truck behind) as it was almost 12:00 midnight. We explain him that the argument and the futile efforts are not for a Rupee but against a con-job that was on since god knows how many months.

A solo driver may never count the coins, most of the times.

I said, If I may, I will stay for the next 2 hours, stopping every car and tell them to count the coins and ensure I ruin their business. An well educated (supposedly) man sporting NHAI Shirt comes walking and I explain him the reason behind our anger. He agrees, apologized (the booth fellow still didn't) and said please move ahead and continue.

I was so angry that other occupants suggested we pull over after the booth for a cup of tea and continue. We did that and reached Bangalore around 2AM.

I am sure I am writing this with the picture of the toll receipt to NHAI and as well posting this on their FB Page to seek answers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th January 2015 at 17:04.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 17:36   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Chalagere Toll booth scam alert:

You did the right thing by standing upto this scam Parag. The question is not about 1 rupee, but being cheated of that rupee and being dismissive about it. If at all it was a genuine case of having no change, the toll operator could have just apologized and informed you that he was short on rupee coins. A polite request is all that is needed. This is a clear case of cheating as you yourself have experienced it 4 times recently. Hope the NHAI takes some action on this.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 18:26   #1672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The update is that the Fuel station is very much functional like I had earlier mentioned.
Thanks. So this looks like another wrong update from Google. They have infact removed the entry of bunk from maps, I was able to get the 'closed' update since I have saved it in my 'favorites' list.

Quote:
This happened for the 4th time in the last 45 days.
Well, with the frequency with which you are doing Bangalore - Pune, a Rs. 1 difference will be a bigger amount ovehead in a years time

You can also try this number. Had seen this pasted in may toll booths on NH 4. PIC
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 18:42   #1673
Team-BHP Support

A rupee per vehicle adds up to a sizable amount over a period of time, plus it's the attitude more than the amount itself that's disappointing. Corruption isn't an event/occurrence for most Indians anymore, it's a way of life and it's the ones who don't do it who are considered the fools.

We've all been in similar situations at other places (public buses, all sorts of ticket counters) and more than the thieving operator, it's the other people in queue who are noisier about the 'inconvenience' caused to them because the one person who stands up is berated for being too stingy to let a few rupees go.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:18   #1674
BHPian

We did Nashik - Mumbai - Bangalore yesterday. We left Nashik at 2:40 am and reached exited Mumbai around 5 am. Reached ITPL via Dabbaspet, Devanahalli, Budigere at 7.30 pm. We have taken breaks for around 2 hours between Mumbai and Bangalore. Pune to Satara is potholed at places, and has many diversions. It is a scam that they ask us to pay toll for this road.

He gave us back a 5 rupee coin at the above mentioned tollbooth. I was waiting for him to give me 4 bucks ;-)
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 00:45   #1675
BHPian

Is 05:00 PM start from Bangalore for Mumbai a good time?

I have done Bangalore to Mumbai around 7-8 times, and all the time I have left early in the morning. This time I have a short break and hence planning to leave Bangalore after kids come back home from school.
I will start from Banaswadi just wondering is it a good time to leave since the City traffic in Bangalore will begin by this time and whether any bus traffic to expect en-route.
Old 19th January 2015, 09:44   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Is 05:00 PM start from Bangalore for Mumbai a good time?

I have done Bangalore to Mumbai around 7-8 times, and all the time I have left early in the morning. This time I have a short break and hence planning to leave Bangalore after kids come back home from school.
I will start from Banaswadi just wondering is it a good time to leave since the City traffic in Bangalore will begin by this time and whether any bus traffic to expect en-route.
5PM is very much a good time to start from Bangalore.

Crossing Tumkur is the only irk at this time since you will reach here when most of the schools,colleges, Industries shut down and misc traffic would be at its peak. After Tumkur its a cakewalk all the way.

You can plan an early dinner either at Kamat, Ranebennur or at Kamat before Hubli.

You need not worry about refueling as well since most of the COCOs mentioned are 24/7.

Be sure not to rely on just cards as you may get surprises in the last minute that the card machine is not working (Typical answers at late nights). Last time I drove (last weekend) we refilled at the BPCL COCO and Nippani and he accepted cards at 11:30PM though.

We had left from our Bangalore home at 0415PM and were at Gateway of India at 5:30AM with one super long dinner break soon after the KA-MH Border for over 90 minutes.

The only word of advice here - Expect light to medium for between Hubli and Belgaum (Typical of here) & Stop for bio breaks only at reasonably crowded places (Toll booths, Well lit fuel stations etc). This is a generic advice and nothing to do with NH4 per se'.

Have a safe trip!

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th January 2015 at 09:45.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:27   #1677
BHPian

Thanks Parag!! Your comments are always valuable.
I have listed down the COCO outlets, speed humps details etc.

Leaving tomorrow, will update once I reach.
Old 19th January 2015, 16:13   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Pune bound on the 26th January long weekend, anybody else also doing this route around that time.
I am with my family on my Cedia, starting on 22nd
Old 19th January 2015, 23:46   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
I too have become fussy about coins and toffees. In the run-up to a long road trip, I collect a lot of coins and use them at the toll booths. Some of the honest toll booth operators even thank me for providing exact change!

Thankfully the toffee exchange business has stopped on this stretch largely.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:14   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanp23 View Post
I am with my family on my Cedia, starting on 22nd
Starting tomorrow morning

Most Viewed