Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 14:27   #1771
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Anyone gone recently can update on the cost of tolls from Bangalore (Neelamangla) upto Mumbai (Vashi)?
Drove till Panchagani 3 weeks before:

Excluding the Kharghar Toll but I suspect it was 30 INR (or 35/-) when I passed it in May on the way to Ahmedabad.

Quote:
  1. NBTL Rs. 30.00
  2. JAS Nelamangala Rs. 35.00
  3. Karjeevanahalli Rs. 70.00
  4. Guililalu Rs. 55.00
  5. Hebbalu Rs. 80.00
  6. Chalageri Rs. 95.00
  7. Bankapura Rs. 70.00
  8. Hubli Bypass Rs. 50.00
  9. Hirebagewadi Rs. 80.00
  10. Hattaragi Rs. 15.00
  11. Kognoli Rs. 40.00
  12. Kini Rs. 68.00
  13. Taswade Rs. 68.00
  14. Anewadi Rs. 55.00
  15. Khedshivpur Rs. 80.00
  16. Expressway Rs. 195.00
====================
Total Rs. 1,086.00
====================
Note that you can buy toll for 12 & 13 at Kini itself and merely show the receipt at Taswade Toll.

New Speedbreaker/Rumbler Alert: As soon as you get down from NBTL soon after the NH48 (Mangalore)-NH4 (Pune) Intersection, just a few hundred meters before JAS Toll, speedbreakers are installed 10 days back.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th August 2015 at 14:29.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 16:03   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Excluding the Kharghar Toll but I suspect it was 30 INR (or 35/-) when I passed it in May on the way to Ahmedabad.

Kharghar toll is no more there (for private vehicles).
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:26   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a trip to Goa but updating this thread on the highway south of Belgaum.

The road surface in the south bound carriageway between Haveri and Raneebennur is breaking up fast. Huge potholes are present randomly so extra care to be taken here. Good news is that in some places they have started repairs, but this adds obstruction to the road. Strangely the north bound carriageway was perfect.

At crossings they have started putting up barricades in a zig zag manner to slow down the speed and could be dangerous at night.

Speed breakers have started popping up haphazardly. They are the small rounded ones like rumble strips but in sets of 2/3.

New eating joint has come up before the Chitradurga toll. If coming from Bangalore it is on the right side of the road approx 170 from Bangalore. It is frequented by busses and has a self service counter and a service counter. Toilets are clean, Parking adequate. Sign post is inadequate you will need to scan for it.

On the Left of the road just before the cancer hospital at Devangere there is a nice looking resort on the Left of the road (coming from Bangalore).

Tumkur Chitradurga stretch remains superb.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:53   #1774
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some help with trip planning
Bangalore-Mahabaleshwar-Bangalore, total 5 days

Day 1:Bangalore-Kaas valley-Panchgani. Stay overnight at Panchgani
Day 2:Visit places of interest in Wai & Panchgani. Stay overnight at Panchgani.
Day 3:Visit places of interest in Mahabaleshwar. Stay overnight at Mahabaleshwar.
Day 4:Visit Pratapgarh fort. Stay overnight at Mahabaleshwar.
Day 5:Mahabaleshwar-Bangalore

Last edited by NPV : 24th August 2015 at 14:55.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:00   #1775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thats too much of driving in 5 days.

You need a day to spend around Kaas and esp go around Bamnoli/Thoseghar etc. Cant say much about Wai. And then couple of days at Mahabaleshwar. Along with add the drive times.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:49   #1776
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats too much of driving in 5 days.

You need a day to spend around Kaas and esp go around Bamnoli/Thoseghar etc. Cant say much about Wai. And then couple of days at Mahabaleshwar. Along with add the drive times.
Driving can be managed as there are 2 or 3 drivers.
What I'd like to know is if this itinerary looks too packed - maybe drop Kaas and just do Wai, Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar in 3 days peacefully with 2 days for driving up and down ?

Last edited by NPV : 24th August 2015 at 17:52.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:42   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Day 1:Bangalore-Kaas valley-Panchgani. Stay overnight at Panchgani
Day 2:Visit places of interest in Wai & Panchgani. Stay overnight at Panchgani.
Day 3:Visit places of interest in Mahabaleshwar. Stay overnight at Mahabaleshwar.
Day 4:Visit Pratapgarh fort. Stay overnight at Mahabaleshwar.
Day 5:Mahabaleshwar-Bangalore
Quote:
Driving can be managed as there are 2 or 3 drivers.
What I'd like to know is if this itinerary looks too packed - maybe drop Kaas and just do Wai, Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar in 3 days peacefully with 2 days for driving up and down ?
I have high doubts on Day 1 because you are driving almost 800 kms and then have these sight seeing as part of the same day. I am more than sure that the energy levels would be very less to do accommodate this.

With an extra day, the plan looks easy one considering that I was just there 4 weeks before and most of these places are closer (Panchagani-Mahabaleshwar-Wai) barring Kaas.

EDIT:Now that we spoke over the phone, I realize that this is not a family drive. With a 4AM start, you can manage Kaas and then drive to Panchagani/Mahabaleshwar and settle for the night.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th August 2015 at 19:05.
Old 1st September 2015, 08:51   #1778
Senior - BHPian

The 6 lane stretch between Tumkur-Chitradurga is a nightmare to drive on. Speeding, rash driving and overtaking , tailgating , flashing lights are extremely common. Small cars like Alto were doing 100+ the last time I drove on this stretch. I'm extremely careful on this stretch when changing lanes. I usually stick to a lane maintaining 80-90 speeds.
Old 1st September 2015, 09:09   #1779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The 6 lane stretch between Tumkur-Chitradurga is a nightmare to drive on. Speeding, rash driving and overtaking , tailgating , flashing lights are extremely common. Small cars like Alto were doing 100+ the last time I drove on this stretch. I'm extremely careful on this stretch when changing lanes. I usually stick to a lane maintaining 80-90 speeds.
If you refer to this usually low traffic stretch as nightmare, You must drive Mumbai Baroda and am sure you would redefine it ☺.

I agree that we often witness speedsters on this stretch but due to so much less density and almost every town/village bypassed over an elevated section, its still incomparable to most of the deadly 6 lane roads in our country.

In fact, accidents on this part of the stretch are very very less too (in comparison).
Old 1st September 2015, 10:11   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 6 lane stretch between Tumkur-Chitradurga is a nightmare to drive on. Speeding, rash driving and overtaking , tailgating , flashing lights are extremely common.
Quote:
If you refer to this usually low traffic stretch as nightmare, You must drive Mumbai Baroda and am sure you would redefine it ☺.
In fact, accidents on this part of the stretch are very very less too (in comparison).
I agree with Parag. This is one of the best stretches of highway I have encountered. Super smooth surface, 6 lane well marked road, no speed breakers, bypass through most towns/villages, what more can you ask for? Alto doing 100+ is not a problem to me at least.
Go further towards Pune and see the chaos there with 2 wheelers, trucks and bypasses in shambles.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 11:07   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I agree with Parag. This is one of the best stretches of highway I have encountered. Super smooth surface, 6 lane well marked road, no speed breakers, bypass through most towns/villages, what more can you ask for? Alto doing 100+ is not a problem to me at least.
Go further towards Pune and see the chaos there with 2 wheelers, trucks and bypasses in shambles.
Its in fact the good shape of the highway and mostly sparse traffic that makes for rash driving. 100+ is breaking the speed limit. Its a fact that nobody sticks to speed limits on the highways. A good example is the Hyderabad ORR with 8 lanes thats become a hot zone for accidents. 4 lane roads with humps are good enough for most of the populace - at least people are forced to control their speed. I'm sure towards Pune the speeds are much controlled due to the poor highway shape.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st September 2015 at 11:21.
Old 6th September 2015, 20:39   #1782

Quote:
Its in fact the good shape of the highway and mostly sparse traffic that makes for rash driving. 100+ is breaking the speed limit. Its a fact that nobody sticks to speed limits on the highways. A good example is the Hyderabad ORR with 8 lanes thats become a hot zone for accidents. 4 lane roads with humps are good enough for most of the populace - at least people are forced to control their speed. I'm sure towards Pune the speeds are much controlled due to the poor highway shape.
I was shocked to read your nightmare remarks about the stretch but then saw your viewpoint about how a good road can side-produce indiscipline in our people
But let me tell you, and if you have not stayed abroad for long years to understand this, since it is rare to have a very good road (infra) and less traffic together, people tend to "(ab)use" the good road as soon as they get to see it. Had we had similar good roads across the country, people would have driven by rules as it happens in more developed countries.
Old 6th September 2015, 20:58   #1783

Guys I am planning to drive Mumbai to Karad on 15th September at night.
Will be starting from Vashi at 00:00 hrs. Please suggest any good restaurants that are open at night for loo breaks and refreshments along this stretch.
Also would like to confirm if this stretch of NH4 is safe for night driving, as i am traveling with family.
Thanks in advance !
Old 7th September 2015, 00:07   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner_sid View Post
Guys I am planning to drive Mumbai to Karad on 15th September at night.
Will be starting from Vashi at 00:00 hrs. Please suggest any good restaurants that are open at night for loo breaks and refreshments along this stretch.
Also would like to confirm if this stretch of NH4 is safe for night driving, as i am traveling with family.
Thanks in advance !
Expressway food court is your safest bet. After this the McD and CCD Attached to BPCL COCO at Khedshivpur is the next safer Option. I am not sure if the resturants remain open but the Fuel station is 247.

After this, highly unlikely that you will get cleaner options barring those restaurants where ST Buses stop. Keep and eye and stop here. A bit of compromise on cleanliness but anyday a safer bet than stopping at a secluded location. Please do not stop alongside the highway anywhere after Pune till Khambhatki!!
Old 10th September 2015, 13:17   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Expressway food court is your safest bet. After this the McD and CCD Attached to BPCL COCO at Khedshivpur is the next safer Option. I am not sure if the resturants remain open but the Fuel station is 247.

After this, highly unlikely that you will get cleaner options barring those restaurants where ST Buses stop. Keep and eye and stop here. A bit of compromise on cleanliness but anyday a safer bet than stopping at a secluded location. Please do not stop alongside the highway anywhere after Pune till Khambhatki!!
Hi, on all previous occasions, I have found the Food Plaza closed barring working CCD which I think is 24 hours but hardly anything to eat. However, I have seen people making a pit stop for a quick nap at the Food Plaza. As suggested by ParagSachania the petrol pumps are operational 247.

Well guys, I am planning to do Mumbai-Blr starting from Mumbai at 4.30pm tomorrow. I need to be in Bangalore well in time to attend a Saturday evening party (need to be fresh for this). I was hoping for guidance point on any places for sleepover (travelling with family). I can think Kolhapur I should be able to make it by 11pm or Belgaum by 12.30pm (kinda late). So I was looking for any good budget option for sleepover around these points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks