Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 10:21   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post

~ Best Fuel Pump/Bunk whilst returning. While going I am filling up diesel thru the Shell Bunk in Bellandur.
~ Are Reliance Fuel Bunks worth a try?
~ Last time while returning from Goa I completely missed the NICE road entry due to heavy traffic and rains. GPS ditched at the last moment. Any landmark I need to bear in mind before entering NICE.
Fuel bunks - Sira BP COCO along next to Kamat Location

Ranebennur Reliance bunk along with Kamat. Not sure if this bunk has started operating though. Link

BP COCO at end of Ranebennur bye-pass. Restaurant along with this bunk is no good. Link

MRPL bunk at fork of Hubli bye-pass. Just before toll booth. Link

IOC soon after Hubli bye-pass. While coming from Belgaum side, it is easier to pass this bunk go ahead around 600 meters, get on to service road and drive back. Link

BPCL COCO between Belgaum and Hubli. Link

Then there is Nippani bunk which is discussed in this thread at multiple times. However, I have not been there hence no much detail on the same.

For NICE road entry, they have signboards put up mentioning Hosur or Mysore (I am not able to recollect) pointing towards left service road when you come down the flyover. You can see Bangalore International exhibition center on your left, however it is just as you enter the service road and easy to miss.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:26   #1937
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on the work in progress sections between Kohlapur, Satara, Sangli and Pune ?

*I heard from a friend that 5 of the flyovers in the Bangalore-Pune direction have been opened up for traffic and helps reduce driving time. Could not get more details as it was a quick message from him after his drive to Navi Mumbai from Bangalore last week.

Last edited by NPV : 10th June 2016 at 11:32.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:44   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any update on the work in progress sections between Kohlapur, Satara, Sangli and Pune ?

*I heard from a friend that 5 of the flyovers in the Bangalore-Pune direction have been opened up for traffic and helps reduce driving time. Could not get more details as it was a quick message from him after his drive to Navi Mumbai from Bangalore last week.
I am not sure about the counts but overall the improvement is tremendous ever since most of the travelers faced a harrowing time 2 years before.

My last drive was 5 months back in the end of January when I was returning from Rajkot and I had a pleasant drive.

Pune bypass was almost complete then with all flyovers operational including the one near Honda Show room

Khambhatki Ghat ascent is what was WIP and continues to be so even today - This can be a potential consumer of time if driving with regular traffic and weekend as there will be lot of Mahabaleshwar Bound Traffic from Mumbai/Pune on weekend.

The Flyover for Wai Phata (Turn off for Mahabaleshwar for Mumbai/Pune traffic) was almost done when I passed this.

Apart from this, the diversions itself remain good and wherever 6 lane work is over, the road condition is fantastic

In reality, Pune-Satara in its present state should not be a cause for concern at all. What really happens when folks post their displeasure here is when you get 600 kms of super good roads from Bangalore to Kolhapur, then drive on dense roads of MH and the last leg of 110 kms to Pune from Satara becomes a mixed bag with excellent 6 lane to few diversions here and there. The last few hours of drive before destination and your perception of a normal road with clean diversion changes to horrible which is not really the case at all.

Also, there is no Sangli here between Kolhapur and Pune. I am sure that was a typo?

Quote:
~ Best Fuel Pump/Bunk whilst returning. While going I am filling up diesel thru the Shell Bunk in Bellandur.
This BPCL COCO Station 4-5 kms after the Kagal/Kognoli toll booth is the best one for you. Remember that Diesel is cheaper in KA than MH and this station is located soon after the Border.

Location.

Quote:
~ Are Reliance Fuel Bunks worth a try?
Never tried so far but Suhas has mentioned the locations.

Quote:
~ Last time while returning from Goa I completely missed the NICE road entry due to heavy traffic and rains. GPS ditched at the last moment. Any landmark I need to bear in mind before entering NICE.
  • ~6 kms from NBTL toll booth where you pay 20 bucks - Stay left
  • Himalaya Drug Company that you will pass on the right side
  • Followed by IOCL Station on the left Side
  • Start moving left after crossing IOCL station and you will notice exit from NBTL and Entry for NICE

You can also refer to this post for a complete list of all good fuel stations on this route, in both directions.

Fuel and Eateries list - Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Ranebennur Reliance bunk along with Kamat. Not sure if this bunk has started operating though. Link
This one is operational now.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2016 at 09:43. Reason: As requested
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 16:18   #1939
BHPian

This BPCL COCO Station 4-5 kms after the Kagal/Kognoli toll booth is the best one for you. Remember that Diesel is cheaper in KA than MH and this station is located soon after the Border.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a ton Parag.

Pardon my ignorance, but how would we identify if a Fuel bunk is a COCO?

Thanks for your help again.
Old 10th June 2016, 16:46   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how would we identify if a Fuel bunk is a COCO?
You will surely find a signboard like this apart from the details given in TBHP.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 16:29   #1941
BHPian

Quote:

Adding to what others have replied, I would like to talk about Kagal-Kolhapur-Satara-Kagal sector in particular. I am actually not competent to give this update as I didn't ride or drive myself, but talking from what I saw and experienced from a SRS Scania multiaxle that I was travelling in to Bombay during day time ( about 25 days ago) . Alternatively, I would like to request fellow BHPians who drove/rode on this sector recently, to validate my update.

There is a welcome change in NH4 of Maharashtra. Last year around this time, there was reasphalting work undertaken between Kagal-Kolhapur-Satara, but it was done only on certain segments of the road in between (witnessed it during my solo ride). This year though, it seems they have begun laying down a fresh layer of tarmac in its entire length (140kms) and the work is on in full swing. On the opposite. carriageway i. e Satara-Kolhapur-Kagal which is largely a concrete stretch, they had begun reasphalting work on the intermediate "tarmac" sectors about 6 months back ( witnessed from a private taxi). It appeared to me that the work is now almost complete on the opposite carriageway including neat markings. I was constantly looking outside the SRS SCANIA from my RHS window seat and noticed these changes. It appeared to me, the entire road on Satara-Kolhapur-Kagal is a supersmooth stretch now and gone are the bumpy days. I can vouch that the tarmac on both carriageways is brand new, because I am a regular on this sector and could easily see/ feel a change. A second opinion is however required.

I suppose work on Kagal-Kolhapur-Satara direction might have also been completed by now. It was being done till Shirwal when I travelled. The new surface is really smooth as you see in some parts of NH4 in Karnataka. NO speedbreakers in MH though and at many places on this new road, new set of rumblers have come up. Also, new crossings in the median are being created past an year. Needless to say, Traffic density in MH remains high , 5 times of KA anyday anytime ! Cars outnumber bikes here at times !

You will love the Kambhatki ghat (7 kms) stretch today, as the widening to 3 lanes is over (towards Pune too).

Fellow BHPians please confirm my updates, as I might not have got a clear 360 degree picture of roads being inside a bus.

Here are some pics of reasphalting work being carried out on Kagal-Kolhapur-Satara. Last picture is of opposite carriageway (Kolhapur bypass) which is a brand new tarmac.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20160602_104307.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20160602_103520.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20160602_103554.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20160602_103726.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 22:24   #1942
BANNED

If you are heading from Blr, you may consider having breakfast at Davangere. It's 4 hrs. from Blr. The Thatte Idly is world famous.

Never mind avoiding traffic and starting at 3 am. Owls and bats get upset with car headlights.

Plan the journey around your bread basket. Everyone will be happy.
Old 13th June 2016, 06:46   #1943
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Plan the journey around your bread basket. Everyone will be happy.
Belgaum - Hotel Regal Irani - best butter chicken this side of the Vindhyas.

If you're in Belgaum at tea time, go to Ghee Depot. The cutlets are quite good.

Someone had asked about places to visit on the way.
3 places you may like are - Chitradurga fort, Badami temples and Sawantwadi.

A bit of diversion may be needed. Maybe a Km or two or 50.

Have dinner at Kolhapur. At the Opal Kolhapuri. Their specialty is Marathi mutton items.

One thing. As you travel around hubli and dharwad and listen to people interact, you may find them being rude to each other. They aren't. It's the normal way of speaking. A grandmother will address her grandkids exactly the same way.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 07:55   #1944
BHPian

Niyaaz, in Belgaum, is also great. Stopped there on a lark after Google recommended it. Weren't disappointed at all. Not too far from the highway either.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 08:16   #1945
BHPian

I did go to Bengaluru in 1 st week of June but went by train up to Mumbai from Gandhidham and then by air . The family was not too keen and I too developed cold feet.

Went to Mysore for one night stay and Coorg too on a drivearound mission in a taxi . It was enjoyable and I felt that the time invested in these two detours from BLR was just correct.

OYO rooms at Mysore, Hotel Royal Inn, was good . BLR traffic was bad and rains made it worse. Nice road is nice to get out of BLR early morning but on a Sunday evening while returning , its approach was clogged after driving out 90 kms from Srirangapatna.

Mod Note: Instead of creating back to back posts, please edit the original post, if you are within the edit timing window

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 13th June 2016, 08:56   #1946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Last year around this time, there was reasphalting work undertaken between Kagal-Kolhapur-Satara, but it was done only on certain segments of the road in between (witnessed it during my solo ride).
True that & the re-asphalting work even in bits and pieces actually made the driving experience better between Kolhapur and Satara.

I must also add that when driving from Bangalore, 10 kms before you exit for Satara City the ascent is exactly where the roads were usually in bad shape due rains. Thanks to 6 lane expansion that spills beyond Satara for few kms, the experience is much better now.

Quote:
This year though, it seems they have begun laying down a fresh layer of tarmac in its entire length (140kms) and the work is on in full swing.
My last drive was in January end and I recall a lot of diversions right from Satara bypass onwards due to this asphalting that was in full swing.
Quote:
It appeared to me, the entire road on Satara-Kolhapur-Kagal is a supersmooth stretch now and gone are the bumpy days. I can vouch that the tarmac on both carriageways is brand new, because I am a regular on this sector and could easily see/ feel a change. A second opinion is however required.
It is indeed. Also, the concrete section that starts right after Satara till Kolhapur and extends till Kagal is something I always waited to hit during each of my return drive only because the Pune-Satara was bumpy and this was welcomed with all eagerness. Now that Pune-Satara 6 lane work is in good shape, this doesn't make much of a difference and barring just those diversions for flyovers, like you mention, one can refer the entire Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Kagal as butter smooth.

Quote:
NO speedbreakers in MH though and at many places on this new road, new set of rumblers have come up. Also, new crossings in the median are being created past an year. Needless to say, Traffic density in MH remains high , 5 times of KA anyday anytime ! Cars outnumber bikes here at times !
Precisely! So much misc traffic, high density, lot of urban zones in 240 kms right from Kagal and yet not even a single speedbreaker!!

In fact , you may have also noticed the rumblers between Kagal-Belgaum which are very well designed, marked well and will easily caution the drivers of a potential danger zone.

Quote:
You will love the Kambhatki ghat (7 kms) stretch today, as the widening to 3 lanes is over (towards Pune too).
To me, this is super good news. I remembered my last few drives on return super slow in this sector only because the expansion work was in progress. An extra lane is always welcome but knowing how Lonavala/Khandala Ghats are post 10pm, In future, I expect Khambatki to become that way owing to increase in traffic density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
If you are heading from Blr, you may consider having breakfast at Davangere. It's 4 hrs. from Blr. The Thatte Idly is world famous.
You certainly meant Benne Dosa didn't you? Or have I never been able to learn the fact that Davanagere is also famous for Thatte Idlies?

Quote:
Never mind avoiding traffic and starting at 3 am. Owls and bats get upset with car headlights.
Way "Too early" for Davanagere! I remember how we once started at 0430 and were in Davanagere at 0730 and straight away drove to Kottureshwara Hotel for Dosas and the owner was still igniting the platform and said it will be another 20-30 minutes before we get the serving! This dates back to 2012 when Tumkur-Chitradurga had 19 diversions due to 6 lane work. Today even without crossing 100 KMPH you can be in Davanagere in 3 hours if you start at 4am too.

I would say, you are better off relishing these dosas with a 5am start.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 09:09   #1947
BHPian

Hi Parag. Recently with the directives of Central Government, NHAI has been mandated to remove all the speed breakers on National Highways. Probably that is the reason we are seeing less speed breakers on NH. Speed breakers which are still there are in process to the removed.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:25   #1948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Hi Parag. Recently with the directives of Central Government, NHAI has been mandated to remove all the speed breakers on National Highways. Probably that is the reason we are seeing less speed breakers on NH. Speed breakers which are still there are in process to the removed.
Thanks Kabir, I am aware of the news Article and there is a thread here on T-Bhp soon after the news went public.

However, for a fact, let me tell you that MH has Zero speedbreakers between Kognoli all the way till Mumbai.

On the contrary, the KA Part of NH4 was always infamous for its speedbreakers and few of these have already killed many lives! There is no decrease in these speedbreakers and the numbers has only increased over time. Right here on this thread, if you flip back you will notice innumerable posts by me where I have even mentioned the exact location of these speedbreakers!

The new ruling is still fresh and when I drove to Goa 3 weeks before, I could notice that the speed breakers remained intact (too early to knock them off), but a new trend is already in place as an alternate - Barricades and Drums all over to cut your speed .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 14:48   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
overall the improvement is tremendous
Had been to Shirdi & took the route on 11th & 12th June for the onward & Return journey.
Yes some of the flyovers are opened and some yet to with lot many deviations. Most of the road surface is freshly tarred & it's beautiful to drive.
Good thing is, there was not even a single bottleneck or traffic jam for the entire journey.
sushrutha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 10:08   #1950
BHPian

Did this stretch yesterday, started at 1030 am from Navi Mumbai and reached Hebbal at 3 am.

Road update - To bypass Pune even though 2 flyovers are open there are still 3 - 4 diversion which creates bottleneck and the incessant rains does not help the cause either.

Pune to Satara was not great section though manageable

Road post Khandala was butter smooth. Once in KA the usual bumpiness, uneven roads and speed breakers

Overall a good drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks