Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 06:41   #2326
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Is this the place you mentioned about ?
Yup, this is the place. Will search the thread.
Old 5th November 2018, 08:08   #2327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bangalore - Pune Sector:

So I had mentioned about a new SHELL coming up after Hubli towards Bangalore on my post few days back.

It is well marked on google now and that also means it is operational (hopefully).

[Have reported mods to merge these back to back posts]

I was driving to Panchgani yesterday and did spot this shell fuel station. This isn't operational yet , though it looks like it might open anytime soon.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 08:15   #2328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I was driving to Panchgani yesterday and did spot this shell fuel station. This isn't operational yet , though it looks like it might open anytime soon.
Thanks. It wasn't marked on Google till last week. So I merely posted the URL/location and still assumed that it may or may not be operational as I mentioned in my post.

Till then we are very much happy and content with the COCOs anyway
Old 5th November 2018, 17:41   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Not anything to rely anywhere near NICE Road junction or even Tumkur road for that matter.

If your destination is beyond Bangalore towards Hosur/Krishnagari, you have 2 options:

1. Halt for the night at Tumkur - Naveen Regency - Mixed reviews but still a better place compared to shady options on Tumkur Road.

2. Cross NICE Road and stay at Hosur - Sarovar Portico is quite popular here.

3. If you are running really late that you want to settle for the night much before Tumkur, Apoorva Resorts is a good location after Davanagere Bypass ends (See my main post for the Maps link).

Apart from this, you have Golden Palms and Taj Vivanta on Tumkur road that would almost take 10-15 minutes for you to enter NICE Road but not VFM options unless you are lucky and manage some cheaper prices due to some offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
Armed with the treasure of information amassed from T-BHP, did a round trip of Pune-Mysore-Ooty-Bangalore-Pune (2500Km). It was an absolute bliss to drive on the NH4 and more so on the 36 hairpins in Kalahatty en route to Ooty. As reported somewhere, I was apprehensive whether I would be allowed to climb down the Kalahatty route, but there were no issues whatsoever.

The comprehensive information posted by Parag earlier on eateries and fuel stops on NH4 were very useful along with the texts I exchanged with him. The icing on the cake was to meet him in flesh whilst I was Bangalore bound ( coordinated by him - I just had to mention how many Kms I had travelled from Pune ).

Parag, your help is much appreciated buddy - many thanks.
Hey guys,
I am leaving for Ooty on the 7th of November i.e. on wednesday. I wanted to halt near Tumkur on the first day and continue the journey the next day. So is Naveen Regency still the best bet in Tumkur or has any other good Hotel come up, since it was a 3 year old post?

I will be starting from Mumbai around 6 am and am comfortable driving 16-17 hours or approx 1000kms. Please suggest a comfortable and safe place for us.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:29   #2330
BHPian

To answer my own question, I decided against staying at Tumkur or Mysore. Stayed in Nelamangala, Bangalore at Holiday Palms instead. Left Mumbai at 6.00 am and reached Nelamangala at around 7.00pm including 3-4 breaks for breakfast, lunch and refueling. Next day morning took the Nelamangala-Bellur cross-Mysore-Ooty Route.

Would recommend this route for any one wanting to do Mumbai-Ooty.
dean5545 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 17:32   #2331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Would recommend this route for any one wanting to do Mumbai-Ooty.
In fact, this is the recommended route, both for Ooty as well as Coorg from Mumbai/Pune.

It saves good time and offers a peaceful drive too.

In fact, even for we North Bangaloreans, we take that route to hit Mysore or beyond .

How was your experience with the Resort? There are quite a few at Nelamangala but never heard reviews from BHPians here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 18:13   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, this is the recommended route, both for Ooty as well as Coorg from Mumbai/Pune.

Parag, just asking, but isn't the Harihar--Shimoga--Arsikere --Hassan--Madikeri /CR Patna--Mysore a better route ?? Or the Hiriyur--Huliyar--Mysore one ?? Sorry, I am totally out of touch with this region but last year when I had driven Belgaum--Hassan--Belgaum, the Harihar--Shimoga was a newly laid supersmooth 2 lane road and Shimoga--Arsikere--CR Patna was anyways a good road.

Will it not consume more time staying on NH4 till Nelamangala and then taking a right onto NH75 ( erstwhile NH48 ) ?? I am just trying to update myself and clarify my doubts
Old 13th November 2018, 18:23   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Parag, just asking, but isn't the Harihar--Shimoga--Arsikere --Hassan--Madikeri /CR Patna--Mysore a better route ?? Or the Hiriyur--Huliyar--Mysore one ??
Between the 2, the Hiriyur route is always preferred over Harihar Shimoga. This is because you have to cross more Big and small towns (Shimoga-Bhadravathi, Tarkere, Kadur, Arasikere, Hassan, Holenarasipura) on the Shimoga route.

With Hiriyur option, you get to drive another 2 hours from Harihar on fast 4 lane roads and only then deviate off the GQ and still not take that trouble to cross too many towns except Nagamangala and Pandavapura.

Quote:
Sorry, I am totally out of touch with this region but last year when I had driven Belgaum--Hassan--Belgaum, the Harihar--Shimoga was a newly laid supersmooth 2 lane road and Shimoga--Arsikere--CR Patna was anyways a good road.
My first ever road trip to Pune as a passenger was through this route as this was the de-facto option then to drive from Belur to Pune and it was in a Tata Sumo of my relative . This was 1997. Prior to that we were driven in a Chevy People mover (I forgot the model) all the way to Gujarat for a family wedding and even in those days, we started from Belur at 0300 and were in Pune at 2130! The 2 lane NH4 is simply a nostalgia.

As of today, the road remains same, except that in between the Shimoga - Honnalli - Harihar was reported to be bad that has now got back in shape.

Quote:
Will it not consume more time staying on NH4 till Nelamangala and then taking a right onto NH75 ( erstwhile NH48 ) ?? I am just trying to update myself and clarify my doubts
It will take more time against the Hiriyur option. So when such queries come, it is always good to check the mood of the requester and then respond. If it is someone who wants more of 4 lane roads and used to just that, Nelamangala option works best for them. If they are used to 2 lane roads, Hiriyur option works better.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th November 2018 at 18:39.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:08   #2334
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am planning to drive from Pune, MH to Krishnagiri, TN soon. Could you please provide input on below points.
  1. Start time: I am planning to start by 3.30 AM to beat traffic till Belgaum. Should I start more early?
  2. Day: I am planning to start to drive on Friday morning, should I change the plan to Thursday to beat weekend Rush while bypassing Banglore.
  3. Speed Traps: Are there any speed traps on this route?
  4. How is the recent road condition?
Old 13th November 2018, 19:23   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Hello Folks,

I am planning to drive from Pune, MH to Krishnagiri, TN soon. Could you please provide input on below points.
Just take the NICE Road from Tumkur road to Hosur Road ( which I am sure you will take ) and should be good to go.
Old 13th November 2018, 20:19   #2336
BHPian

Quote:

In fact, even for we North Bangaloreans, we take that route to hit Mysore or beyond .

How was your experience with the Resort? There are quite a few at Nelamangala but never heard reviews from BHPians here.
Good to know that I picked up the right route. I too went to Coorg from Ooty and used the same route while coming back.

The resort property is big, however the rooms felt a bit outdated in todays time. They were clean and big in size though.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:37   #2337
BHPian

Completed a longish drive totalling 2754 kms on the following circuit in my VW Polo between 14th to 21st November 2018 -->> Mumbai--Pune--Belgaum---Bangalore--Hassan--Kukke Subrahmanya--Dharmasthala--Udupi--Kollur--Kundapur--Ankola--Hubli--Pune--Mumbai. Here are some updates on NH4 Mumbai--Bangalore sector ( none of them are significant ) :-

1. Mumbai -- Pune Expressway --> continues to remain super awesome

2. Pune city bypass --> 95% good surface, the flyover at Warje for the south bound traffic has been finally thrown open.

3. Pune -- Satara --> about two to three diversions till Shirwal. Shirwal--Kambhatki ghat--Satara is excellent all throughout although the surface could have been made even more supersmooth.

4. Satara -- Kolhapur --> excellent. This is my most favorite stretch to drive. It's the tree lined roads, nice huge median plantations, smooth road surface and lush green fields alongside that makes a drive here totally blissful.

5. Kolhapur -- Belgaum -- Dharwad --> excellent

6. 2 laned Dharwad -- Hubli bypass --> excellent but most indisciplined road behavior exhibited here. People want to continue driving here as if on a 4 lane.

7. Hubli -- Haveri -- Davangere -- Chitradurga --> road expansion to 6 lanes is in progress but all diversions are well marked and overall road surface is good/decent. Pace of work is very good unlike the pathetic pace of Pune -- Satara.

8. Chitradurga -- Bangalore --> excellent.

Reiterating some observations that I have always been mentioning--

1. Traffic, hotels and wayside amenities in MH = 10 times that of KA

2. Road infrastructure in KA is marginally better than MH ( excluding Mumbai--Pune Expressway )

Last edited by vivek95 : 23rd November 2018 at 12:45. Reason: Erasing repeated sentences
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 00:36   #2338
BHPian

Folks,
Planning Mumbai to Old Goa via Belgaum on Dec 15. What are the best options for lunch in Belgaum? Safe & hassle free parking is as important as good food. Read somewhere Belgaum city has lots of parking voes, is that true?
Old 18th December 2018, 15:53   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
Folks,
Planning Mumbai to Old Goa via Belgaum on Dec 15. What are the best options for lunch in Belgaum? Safe & hassle free parking is as important as good food. Read somewhere Belgaum city has lots of parking voes, is that true?
Hi,

In belgaum, Hotel Ramdev is the best option for lunch (My experience). It is very close to the highway and has good parking space too. Belgaum being comparatively small does have some parking issues, but if you go to hotels or restaurants which are well known, they do have their own parking.

Regards,
Devyaani.
devyaaniverma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:17   #2340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
Folks,
The most tried and tested by most of all at Belgaum is Sankam. Not only the food tastes good (No such complaints in general) but it offers safe parking too. Ramdev also offers safe parking within their compound and is one of the oldest good places to eat at Belgaum as it is located on the good old PB road which witnessed all north bound traffic to Maharashtra taking this road before the city got itself a bypass. Ramdev is also very popular with Private Bus operators even today, so typical early mornings and nights (Dinner time) you will spot quite a few of these buses.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed