Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 23:54   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Thanks Vivek. I agree. It takes around 3 hours in the car. I missed writing that I'll start off at 0430 as mentioned in my earlier posts. So between 2 to 3 hours is what it'll take I think.
Took me 2:45 after exiting Pune at noon. I was hammering 110 all through, reaching Kolhapur McD in 3:15 hrs.

Quote:
Let me know once you are done surprising me with such intricate details
There's a post in this very thread on the milestone of each speed breaker, during KA's glory speed breaker days Of which 2 of them are still there (one after Jas northbound and one ahead of Haveri bypass southbound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
You can start from Aurangabad at around 7 AM so you will be in Pune post peak hours (around 12.30 - 1 PM).
I've done this timing 3 times from Shirdi. It will still take 1:45 hrs to reach the other side. The drive on either side of Pune is a breeze. Only at dead of the night can you breeze through Pune, took me exactly 40 min from Sinhagad Road to Wagholi Shell (1:45 am to 2:25 am). By 3:10 am, I was at Shirur (destination for that night)

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 20:04   #2522
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Firstly, thanks everyone for your advice. Reached Nashik per plan on the dot. Rained the while way and quite hard in someplaces. I have nothing much to add to the great detail that is already there. Below are some observations which may have not come out.

Started from Sarjapur road and google maps sent me via jail road and nice road. On Jail road, the less said the better. Even NICE has pot holes and ones got to be careful.

Started 4:50am and reach Satara at 4:50pm...break 2.5 hrs. The road till Tumkur was ok, traffic etc. so slow going. Stopped at Apurva Resorts for breakfast at 8 and it was nice. While it is not known for breakfast, decent options and clean restrooms.

The road diversions till Hubli are ok. Not too bad. Cops are there with speed guns...was looking for Taveras but all the three I crossed were Innovas. Watch out!

Stopped at Mariott Belgaum for lunch. Spent an hour and a little there...we were the only people. Near the highway, good service but very slow. I think they switched on the stove after we went.

Stayed at Fern residency in Satara. Nice place, good service. Try the bigger rooms, they are nice for a little extra money. I got a room with a huge balcony garden and it was 400rs more than the regular room. Kids could play and lot more space.

Drive to Pune from Satara was OK. Started 8:30 am after breakfast, lots of unexpected potholes, road works and traffic jams. Hit Pune traffic and slow going. Pune to Chakan was bad...lots of traffic and then slowly road gets better. Not many break options and used a BP bunk (after Chakan) for restrooms. Was reasonably OK. The last 100kms to Nashik was good but till then it was horrible. There are hotel options after Peth. I would definetly doing this stretch at night if feasible. Reached at 3:00pm

Thanks again to Parag for your input. Will update the other road conditions to Aurangabad and back as I go along (a little out of topic for this thread).
rohing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 22:59   #2523
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Couple of questions for the planned BLR-Kolhapur drive.

We are starting from MG Road and would like to reach Kolhapur around 6 PM. At what time should we start from MG road to avoid Bangalore traffic. Considering the suggested time, which place should we aim for the breakfast ?

Also, what is the speed limit on Bangalore - Kolhapur highway ? Any specific locations to watch out for cops or speed gun's presence ? Flexible with the timing and not in a rush to reach the destination either however we wont be driving during the late night though.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:04   #2524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
At what time should we start from MG road to avoid Bangalore traffic. Considering the suggested time, which place should we aim for the breakfast ?
Start no later than 630am. Have breakfast before Tumkur around 0730am.

Shree Rathnam can be a good option.

Quote:
Also, what is the speed limit on Bangalore - Kolhapur highway ? Any specific locations to watch out for cops or speed gun's presence ? Flexible with the timing and not in a rush to reach the destination either however we wont be driving during the late night though.
Standard Highway Speed limits are applicable which is 80 Kmph. Please read few posts in previous pages about location of speed Interceptors.

If you are flexible with timing, better to start at 0400 or 0430 and get the max coverage in terms of better average speeds.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 15:37   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Stopped at Mariott Belgaum for lunch. Spent an hour and a little there...we were the only people. Near the highway, good service but very slow. I think they switched on the stove after we went.
Had a similar experience with Sankam as well. Food was great, but they took their own sweet time, was our longest lunch stop This was the reason to suggest Roti Ghar.

The reason to drive more on day 1 was to avoid the traffic mess on Pune-Nasik.

Quote:
The last 100kms to Nashik was good but till then it was horrible.
Its a lot better now, was much more traumatic as a 2-lane highway, when going via Bombay was considered an option.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 17:30   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Start no later than 630am. Have breakfast before Tumkur around 0730am.

Shree Rathnam can be a good option.

Standard Highway Speed limits are applicable which is 80 Kmph. Please read few posts in previous pages about location of speed Interceptors.

If you are flexible with timing, better to start at 0400 or 0430 and get the max coverage in terms of better average speeds.
Thank you very much. This is very useful.
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:57   #2527
BHPian

Wanted to provide an update on the road conditions on my BLR, Pune, Nashik, Aurangabad, Badami, BLR trip. The update till Nashik is a few posts above, providing the rest here although it maybe out of topic for the thread title.

Nashik to Aurangabad - Ok road till Shirdi unbearable afterwards. In about 20 odd kms, we started getting back pain that was not there was last 1000. Checked google maps and took a diversion to Gangapur and then Aurangabad. It adds 20-30 extra kms but well worth it. The road is work in progress and tough to drive at night but much better than the direct route.

Aurangabad to Badami - Was skeptical based on the Nashik to Aurangabad route and was thinking through the other options as suggested by members here. But all my fears were ill founded. The road from Aurangabad to Solapur was super smooth and empty..I drove on cruise control at 110 quite a bit of distance! After Solapur, road is single lane but still decent. Went into Vijayapura to see Gol Gumbaz and it was well worth it. There was a place called Terrace Lounge just opposite the Gol Gumbaz gate and it was decent restaurant. Not much options after Solapur otherwise. Bijapur to Badami was also easily doable. This route was much much faster and better than it would have been doing this through Pune. Highly recommend.

Badami to Bangalore through Aihole and Chitradurga than the Hubli route. All roads good,...two laning in progress. Cops in Innovas there at random places and even beyond Chitradurga towards Tumkur. Stopped at Mayura near TB dam for lunch..decent, nice and neat.

Thanks all.
rohing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 15:39   #2528
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled to Belgaum after a long time and just wanted to give an update on the road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli where 6 laning work is in progress.

The number of diversions have surely increased and you feel like you are spending more time in the service roads than the regular carriageway. The service roads are in good conditions from Chitradurga upto Haveri or so. Speedbreakers are also small and easily manageable and no potholes and such. But post Haveri right up to Hubli the service roads are in pathetic condition. Lots of cement rubble, stones, craters, dust, narrow sections, unscientific humps etc... Negotiating these sections at night or in rains can be very tricky.

Overall it added about 1.5 hrs to my usual driving time to Belgaum. It has progessively increased from half hour to one hour to now adding one and half hours to my usual 500 km trip. The good thing is that the quality of work is top class and the completed sections are pure joy. Can't wait for the completion!

Also one better watch out for giant tyre killer potholes on the other stretches which have experienced heavy rains this season.

Advice : When in service roads do not follow the vehicle in front very closely. Keep a good enough distance so that it allows you to scan the road surface and avoid potential hazards.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 15:58   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The good thing is that the quality of work is top class and the completed sections are pure joy. Can't wait for the completion!
I am very glad to learn this. I am a Belgaumite too and regularly drive on Mumbai/Pune--Belgaum--Mumbai route and we have been dealing with this never ending ordeal called as Pune--Satara 6 laning work Its been 8 years since the work started on this section and is still only about 85-90% complete. The pace of work had been horribly slow right from the beginning and the pending work would easily take another year. Also, the quality of completed stretches is not top notch. I am sure the Hubli--Chitradurga expansion work would be completed on time and the road quality would be top class ( akin to Belgaum--Dharwad ). Maharashtra of late is as hopeless as it can get !
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 10:45   #2530
BHPian

Anyone travel in the last couple of weeks? since @santoshbhat's post.

Am planning to drive down later this week, it has been a rather wet October. Contemplating if it would be more prudent to fly down rather than drive. Messy, wet roads and traffic just bring in additional stress, things that i would like to avoid.

Planning to break the journey at hubli/dharwad, any recommendations on places to stay? Last time i halted at hoysala near the jubilee bus stand at Dharwad. Was an ok place for a night halt, the only problem was the basement parking, not an issue for mid sizers but for longer ones it was rather tricky, nerve racking for me, with all the pillars around,

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 20th October 2019 at 10:46.
Old 20th October 2019, 21:27   #2531
BHPian

Hello All,

Nice to meet fellow Belgaumites like myself!

I drove from RMV 2nd Stage in Bangalore to RPD College Road in Belgaum on Friday, 18th October and it took me a whopping 11 hours to complete this 500 km drive. Some points to note:-

This is my first road trip to Belgaum in ages as I generally take a flight. Reason for driving was to pick up some stuff from my grandma's house. It was a solo drive.

There is one stretch near the town of Vijapur, about 50 km before Davangere which is an absolute nightmare. I was stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours as there is a stretch in which only one vehicle can pass at any given time. I have shared the images below.

Spot my car!?
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img01.jpg

Behind me
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img02.jpg

The number of diversions is so great that I felt I spent more time on the service roads than the main highway. And they still charge toll for this, which I felt is unfair. The service roads are mostly decent but at some places there are potholes which appear suddenly. A few are the size of moon craters.

As I neared MK Hubli, it poured mental. So much so that I felt my car slowing down suddenly with a jerk as I went through the massive puddles of water that had accumulated and I swear I felt a little bit of sway. Visibility was low and at one time as I went through a puddle I was completely blinded as a lorry next to me entered at the same time and my windshield was splashed with water continually till we exited the huge puddle. Luckily it was a straight stretch of road and not a curve or else, I would have collided with the center median. I decided to follow a fellow Honda City driver who was driving cautiously in the middle lane. Could not take a picture to share as I had my heart in my mouth.
NHAI needs to do something to prevent such puddles of water getting accumulated on highways.

That 2 lane stretch between Hubli and Dharward is dangerous. NHAI should widen this road instead of 3 laning the other stretch(s). Lorries come barreling down the slope of this 2 lane road at like twice the speed of sound (exaggeration, but to show how fast really) and overtake as they please. 3 times I was pushed to the extreme side and once I had to go off the road. Absolutely ludicrous. Accident statistics must be mind boggling on this road.

I am leaving Belgaum on Monday, 20th October and am contemplating on taking the Bachi-Raichur Highway via Koppal and rejoins NH4(8) at Chitradurga.

For the Foodies - after I got out of the 2 hour rut, I was extremely hungry. Just after Davangere, there is a dhaba called 'Kola Kolhapuri Dhaba'. I had a memorable lunch here. Spicy Chicken Masala and hot rotis. Not exactly Kolhapuri, but the fact that you get to sit on a 'khat' (cot with a wooden plank for serving food) and have food while watching vehicles wizz by is a good feeling. Make sure to feed the friendly dog your leftovers.

Hope this helps. Drive safe!

Rohan Jalihal
rjalihal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:47   #2532
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
That 2 lane stretch between Hubli and Dharward is dangerous. NHAI should widen this road instead of 3 laning the other stretch(s).
Unfortunately nothing can be done by NHAI since it is outside their jurisdiction at least for now - the Nandi Infrastructure company has an agreement of lease that runs till 2021/2022, not sure. Till the lease period expires, they will not allow any widening or improvements on this stretch.

This toll and the one on Coimbatore bypass leased out to L&T are 20+ (21 or 22 I think) year leases, unlike most other toll roads that are usually leased for 15 years. It is a very similar situation there as well since there are 4 & 6 laned section on either side and the 2 laned section becomes the bottleneck, slow and unsafe most times.

Last edited by NPV : 20th October 2019 at 21:48.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 09:49   #2533
BHPian

@Rohan

Thank you for your detailed report. Have decided to postpone my drive/visit . My little one who was very keen about the drive is very upset about it but then no point in driving through endless jams.

Do post your experience on your drive back to bengaluru, Thank you again.
Old 24th October 2019, 06:04   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
18th October and it took me a whopping 11 hours to complete this 500 km drive.
In June I did NICE Tumkur Road exit-Kolhapur McD in 8 hours both ways. Is this just an one off day or the same story everyday?

Quote:
contemplating on taking the Bachi-Raichur Highway via Koppal and rejoins NH4(8) at Chitradurga.
Gooty-Bellary-Hubli has been undergoing 4-laning for a while now. So it should be in worser shape than NH4 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
agreement of lease that runs till 2021/2022
Hubli-Dharwad current contract runs till 2024.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 13:22   #2535
BHPian

Planning to drive down from Bangalore to Mumbai tomorrow.Any updates on the condition of the roads -- little concerned after reading ' rjalihal' on the delays in this route.
Can fly down if it's not worth driving at present.

Most Viewed