Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 07:16   #2836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I too hope, it does! It's been going on for time immemorial. Easily, more than 5+ years!
5+ years? Chitradurga - Hubli 4 to 6 lane expansion work started only around 2018 and to be honest the pace at which the work is progressing is certainly acceptable.

May be you are confused with Satara-Pune?
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:28   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Experts have a query.

Planning to drive down to Pune from Bangalore next week most probably, hence closely following this thread. I am aware that the distance between Pune and Bangalore is 12 hrs on road + 2 hrs for the rests/breaks. So what should be the ideal time to start from Yelahanka Bangalore? In case it is felt that a halt needs to be taken, where can that be? In Belgaum or Kolhapur?
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:48   #2838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts have a query.

Planning to drive down to Pune from Bangalore next week most probably, hence closely following this thread. I am aware that the distance between Pune and Bangalore is 12 hrs on road + 2 hrs for the rests/breaks. So what should be the ideal time to start from Yelahanka Bangalore? In case it is felt that a halt needs to be taken, where can that be? In Belgaum or Kolhapur?
0400 is a better time as always.

With this, Belgaum or Kolhapur become ideal stops. Belgaum should take anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5 hours with relaxed driving and breaks.

If you think you are in good shape to drive further, I would suggest not to book any hotel. Instead do this based on progress you make. Availability should be good given the lean season (compared to normal days).

The other option is to leave at noon, take the Doddaballapura Dabaspet route to hit the Pune highway and reach Belgaum between 2000 and 2100 hours and halt for the day.

Next morning start at 5, cross Kolhapur by 630, and reach Pune between 10 and 11 am.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2020 at 13:50.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:07   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case it is felt that a halt needs to be taken, where can that be? In Belgaum or Kolhapur?
I would recommend Belgaum, as there are quite a few decent hotels like Sankam Residency, Pai Resorts, Ramdev within a couple of kms from the highway. For Kolhapur, you will have to go at least till Tararani Chowk to find a decent place to stay, which is maybe a 10-15 min drive from the highway in evening traffic. Also, Belgaum to Pune with an early start on the next day won't take more than 5.5 hours.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:50   #2840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I would recommend Belgaum, as there are quite a few decent hotels like Sankam Residency, Pai Resorts, Ramdev within a couple of kms from the highway. For Kolhapur, you will have to go at least till Tararani Chowk to find a decent place to stay, which is maybe a 10-15 min drive from the highway in evening traffic. Also, Belgaum to Pune with an early start on the next day won't take more than 5.5 hours.
I will tell you from my personal experience the real advantages of choosing Kolhapur over Belgaum even if it meant driving little inside the city for that hotel:
  • If you have reached Belgaum, the road to Kolhapur is breeze there after and can be covered in less than 90 minutes without really hurrying it up
  • You may reach little later (Kolhapur) than Belgaum but the next day even if you are starting at 0700, traffic getting out of Kolhapur and then driving till Pune is still going to be a peaceful affair
  • For those travelers who are confused whether Belgaum makes senses or Kolhapur, the real advantage of Kolhapur is that mentally you know you have entered Maharashtra, covered an additional 100+ kms from Belgaum, have lesser to travel next day to Pune
  • Starting from Belgaum even at 0730 means you will cross Kagal-MIDC Kolhapur-Islampur section during peak morning time and encounter a lot of 2 wheelers and rickshaws ferrying industrial workers. If you are at Kolhapur already and start at 0730, you may nearly avoid all this completely.

We have stayed at Kolhapur during our Monsoon drive return trips and have left from here at 7am too and found the traffic reasonably acceptable during this time of the day. It only gets busier post 0930/1000.

I will tell you, this is like those wanting to stop at Tumkur/Nelamangala when crossing Bangalore towards Chennai the next day. I would really opt for Hosur because this is another 90 minutes drive from Nelamangala NICE toll really and much peaceful next day since you have already crossed into the state of TN.

Another ideal example is to opt for Thane, Ghodbunder, Vasai when driving towards Gujarat from Bangalore instead of Panvel, CBD Belapur or conversely when driving down to Bangalore from Gujarat/Rajasthan.

Helps a lot the next day!

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2020 at 14:55.
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:52   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post

Kolhapur to Satara roads are good but two lane with no service roads. It was raining so less 2 wheeler traffic and was to cover this stretch faster.

Satara to Pune district border (Nira river bridge) most of the potholes has been patched up, but work is shoddy so you will have to speed down a bit. Post Nira bridge beware, there is a huge pothole which might damage you wheels if you are speeding up. Road maintenance was on in many places, I guess in few weeks road condition should be ok till then drive cautiously as potholes spring up randomly specially on right lane.
True that, Kolhapur--Satara has always been a super fantastic stretch, the tarmac is smooth and infact with lush green fields alongside, tall plantations on the medians as well as on the sides, its my most favourite stretch to drive between Belgaum and Bombay. And if you have noticed, year round, even in the middle of summers, this is the only stretch that remains absolutely green ( thanks to all the dams and irrigation development in western Maharashtra post independence ).

Yes, potholes on the Satara--Pune as well as Pune--Satara are being filled up, noticed this on my last drive. Nevertheless the overall quality is shoddy. Its just that the scenery makes up for a nice drive.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 01:02   #2842
BHPian

Also people travelling to Mumbai there is a newly opened food mall just after Khed Shivapur toll. The toilets were very clean and had children play area. Lot of options of food and beverages with ample parking space.
autoweirdo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:55   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I will tell you from my personal experience the real advantages of choosing Kolhapur over Belgaum even if it meant driving little inside the city for that hotel:
Helps a lot the next day!
Totally second that, Have done a few mumbai - bengaluru - mumbai over the years.
On the way back, have always found that reaching kohlapur is not too difficult, always made it before sundown - 1600 - 1700 with a bengaluru start at 0630 - 0700

And for those who are spiritually inclined, a quick darshan at kolhapur Mahalaskmi temple becomes possible.

On the subsequent day, if one starts around 0630 , then one can reach mumbai - western suburbs by 1330 - 1430.

However, kolhapur may not be the ideal place to break journey when traveling from mumbai, Of late, i have made it a three day affair, starting late afternoon, stop at satara and then take a second stop at davengere and reach bengaluru on the third day by 1100 - 1200. Dharwad is also a very good option to break journey enroute to bengaluru, but there is always a chance that one will get caught in evening traffic in/near bengaluru.

Was thinking of traveling down later this month, but in current circumstances i am little skeptical if my trip will materialize.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:13   #2844
BHPian

Hi guys,

I'm planning a BLR-BOM-BLR drive in 2 week's time. Are there any documents required at border crossing now? I know there are no COVID restrictions now, but do authorities ask to verify/submit any documents?
Old 7th December 2020, 14:42   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Hi guys,

I'm planning a BLR-BOM-BLR drive in 2 week's time. Are there any documents required at border crossing now? I know there are no COVID restrictions now, but do authorities ask to verify/submit any documents?
No restrictions or documents needed for KA-MH travel. I recently travelled Pune-Belgaum- South Goa. No restrictions whatsoever.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 16:15   #2846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Hi guys,

Blackwasp who was recently in Bangalore while driving back to Mumbai was asked for usual car documents (RC, DL, Insurance, PUC etc), where exactly is not known. Nothing specific to Covid.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:37   #2847
BHPian

Any route updates based on the ongoing Bharath bandh/farmer agitation ? I hope it doesnt impact this route.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:40   #2848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Any route updates based on the ongoing Bharath bandh/farmer agitation ? I hope it doesnt impact this route.
Wasn't the bandh call only for today between 1100-1500 and that it wasn't indefinite?

So in case you plan to travel tomorrow or later (or even now), it shouldn't be an issue.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:31   #2849
BHPian

Just completed Mumbai to Coimbatore stretch this week.

Start from Goregoan Mumbai at 4.15 am.

Carried lots of fruits this time and home cooked food.

Khedshivapur toll. At 7.15 am, traffic at toll booth was less than usual, it being Monday morning.

First major stop was at Sai International, about 30kms before Kholapur. It was Halt was for 16 minutes for fruit breakfast. Had covered this distance in 5hrs 30 minutes.

Next stop was for fuel at BP Coco Kognoli after Kholapur.

After Kholapur, cops stopped is for checking papers. Since I had soft copy uploaded in mparivahan apps showed the virtual documents of driving licence, registration, PUC, insurance details. It took less than one minute. The cops are really good. Professional and understanding when we cooperate with them politely.

Roads between Pune and Sahara need careful and cautious driving due to potholes.

The next major halt was for fuel fill and parked the car under the nearby shade and had our home made lunch at RELIANCE Fuel pump after Hubli.

Reached Hotel Seven Stars Davanagere at 4.00 pm for overnight halt as this time did not want to stretch myself upto Hi sue in Tamilnadu

Total driving time taken was 11 hrs 45 minutes, which includes stop over for breakfast and lunch and fuel break.

Disappointed with some of the hotel staff at Seven stars as they were not wearing masks. Restaurant food was good. Rooms are clean and linen tidy. Carried sanitisation kit and used the same before using the room.

Left this hotel from Davanagere at 430am the next day morning for Coimbatore.

The diversions between Davanagere to Chitradurga early morning was managed as there was fewer heavy vehicles.

It was raining mildly from Chitradurga to Krishnagiri and hence covered the stretch at an average speed of 70kmph.

Cash of Rs. 180 has to paid for NICE Road stretch upto GoAir as FASTAG is not operationalised by the toll operator.

Next halt was at HP Coco near Krishnagiri. Toilets were clean at "Sugam" at this COCO. (Company owned Company Operated fuel pump). We again had fruit breakfast.

Next halt was at Sankari for lunch near Sree Sravana Bhavan. Had home made food. Also, toilets were clean.

There were diversions due to road works between Salem to Coimbatore which slowed down our pace.

Next went up to Coimbatore taking the bypass that goes towards Kerala, to reach Ondipudur.

The total driving time from Davanagere to Coimbatore was 11 hours which includes one hour 30 minutes for breaks.

Total toll expenses from Mumbai to Coimbatore was Rs.
1982 via Nice Road.

Since I had made trips at least seven times from Mumbai to Coimbatore, this is the latest I could share. Thanks.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:49   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blackwasp who was recently in Bangalore while driving back to Mumbai was asked for usual car documents (RC, DL, Insurance, PUC etc), where exactly is not known. Nothing specific to Covid.
Here's my trip report:

Left Navi Mumbai home around 10:30 am in the morning on 29th Nov and reached Dharward around 7 pm. (approx 550 km).

However, due to the odd timing, we encountered traffic on Lonavala Ghat as well as post Katraj areas. Till about Satara, progress was slow with bad roads and just high traffic. Toll implementation seems to have gotten better. Someone also tried to scam us with low air in tyre and one puncture guy did say there's a puncture in the front left. I just said if there's a puncture I will change to spare and drive ahead.

Satara to Dharwad was a nice trip. We had packed lunch and ate around 3 pm after one of the tolls.

Reached Dharward around 7 pm with not much exertion as even dad drove the car.

On 30th, left Dharwad at 2:30 pm and reached Bangalore City Centre at 9 pm. Roads were good, infact even the diversions were well marked and there was no sharp cuts or joints when we went off the highway. However, this meant high speeds could not be done constantly and we preferred to stick to 80-90 kmph speed range.

Return leg was done on 4th Dec. This time, dad wasn't with me, so would be a solo drive. I was ready to halt overnight in Dharwad, but was confident to make it to Mumbai in one go.

Left Bangalore at a leisurely 8:30 am. Reached Dharwad at 2:30 pm. Stopped for lunch and picked up some Mishra pedha. Joined the highway at 4 pm. Stopped at White House (before Nippani) for a tea break at 5:40 pm and asked them to pack up sandwiches for dinner.

Aanewadi toll came up at 8:30 pm and Fastag was showing blacklist despite having balance. I think they manual scan a tag which has low balance and ask to pay in cash. I was adamant and refused to move. I was let go eventually when people behind started making a ruckus.

It was smooth sailing after that and reached home by midnight. Overall thought, I feel that things have improved a bit, but sad to say that MH roads are worst than even the diversions in KA.

Hope things improve after the new year when fastag would be made mandatory for all.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2020 at 15:42. Reason: Typo
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks