Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2024, 10:30   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
I have to drive from bangalore to Mumbai with my dog for his surgery in Mumbai. Was planning on leaving blr at 430 am and driving via belgavi Kolhapur to hinjewadi side of pune and sleeping there and next morning to Mumbai.

I heard of many roadworks, but please give your opinions. I heard Solapur route which google suggests has barely any places to stop.
I would suggest to halt at Kolhapur instead of Pune as this would be mid way approximately. If you start at 4.30 am from Bangalore you would reach Kolhapur approx at 2 -3 pm. If you start early next day (say 4.30 am) you will negotiate the diversions till Karad in the wee hours and no traffic. You would also cross Pune before the traffic starts and reach Mumbai leisurely if needed.

In all these planning do take care of your dog and its needs accordingly.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:45   #3707
BHPian

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same after seeing the google route. Now changing from Pune to Kolhapur on your recommendation.
Old 9th May 2024, 19:01   #3708
BHPian

Please do suggest the best eateries from blr to pune to Mumbai on the northbound side of the road and back on the south side. And clean toilets too.
Old 13th May 2024, 01:27   #3709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrofloyd View Post
I drove Mumbai - Bengaluru and back last week. To test out the two main routes on this thread, I decided to take the Kolhapur-Belgaum road on the way towards Bengaluru, and Solapur on the way back.

Hereís my experience:
The feeling I had till Belgaum was: Man, whatever this is, it isnít a highway. And I felt cheated paying the tolls along the way.

My peace of mind was preserved on the other route despite the tyre change. So I might stick to that in the future till I hear more updates. Your mileage may vary - safe driving!
Perfect piece of information for my upcoming Pune - Bangalore Trip. Thanks for posting this
Old 19th May 2024, 13:08   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Perfect piece of information for my upcoming Pune - Bangalore Trip. Thanks for posting this
i just did blr to mumbai via kolhapur (stop) and the roads were perfectly ok except for a lot of diversions off the main highway post belgavi. but it wasn't terrible as the road surface was ok. only slowing progress and some speed humps.

stopped at nisarg resort after kolhapur which is decent and pet friendly.
gautam99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 15:40   #3711

We did a Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore return trip recently, both journeys via the Chitradurga-Solapur-Pune route given the better road conditions compared to the conventional Belgaum-Kolhapur route under repair. My experience, traffic is relatively low density so a peaceful drive, though one has to be watchful for nasty speed humps between Hosapete and Vijayapura. Crossing Pune took over an hour for both onward and return journeys as we encountered peak traffic and some rain. Overall it took a good 18 hours inclusive of breaks, so a night halt was a must.

For the overnight break during the onward journey we stayed at - Hotel Swamiraj Executive, at Sardewadi toll plaza after Solapur. While on the return trip, we stayed at - Royal INN, just before Solapar. We skipped our breakfast at both places as we had an early start in the morning.

A few break options sighted on this route, esp. between Chitradurga and Pune
- Anand Vihar, near Hosahalli. They have a nursery so you get a few minutes of much-needed quality break.
- Hotel Samruddhi Garden, near Solapur Bypass
- Sri Siddheshwars Cafe and Family Restaurant, Vijayapur Bypass
- Besides Aashay Hotel and Irani Cafe in Pune

My verdict, though a tough call, I would still prefer the Solapur route over Kolhapur, until the roads a repaired.
zodiac01 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 18:39   #3712
BHPian

There was a huge 5km+ jam yesterday before Tumkur Bypass towards BLR, at a place called Oorukere. Perhaps caused due to flooding after yesterday's downpour in that area.

One of the rare cases where Google Maps actually saved the day (or night ). Some cars in front of us referred it and turned to the service road, we followed, along narrow roads through farm lands and little villages, until it put us on a main road connecting Tumkur, where we again hopped on the highway just before Kythasandra.

The convoy of 30-40 cars must surely have surprised the residents that they came out to see what was going on. The roads had mostly good surface, perhaps better than some localities in BLR.

The police should have been more pro-active and divert cars to alternate routes, manning the route every 1-2 kms. But as always, they were nowhere to be found when they were needed.

Even at 1 AM when I checked the maps, the traffic was full red on the highway.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 21:07   #3713
BHPian

Hello All, repeating my query from the Mumbai - Hampi thread as this one seems more active and bulk of the route is same.

I plan to do Mumbai - Hampi trip early September. I will be traveling with my wife and 3.5 year old toddler.

The tentative plan is:

6th September: Depart from Mumbai at 5:30 AM/6:00 AM
Drive either to Belgaum or Vijaypura depending on route taken.
7th September - start at 8:30 and reach Hampi by 1:00 PM
8-9th September - Hampi local.
10th September - Start for Mumbai around 11:00 AM. Overnight halt at Karad or Satara.
11th September: Start at 10:00 AM and reach Mumbai by early evening.

Any inputs about routes to take and where breaks can be had will be highly appreciated.

Just for context all my longish drives have been to West of Mumbai towards Gujarat except a sole trip to Malabaleshwar and a trip to Goa that involved going beyond Pune. So I will take any help I can get. I have tentatively planned to halt overnight at either Fern Belagavi or Fern Vijaypura for my onward journey and may stop at Fern Karad or Satara on my return leg.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2024, 06:02   #3714
Team-BHP Support

Finally looks like the Pune ring road project is taking off. I guess like me many have mentioned, the need for a Pune bypass in the form of a ring road. Pune especially needs it give any access from east half the Pune circle one has no option but to enter the city.

Hope this work completes soon!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 20:37   #3715
BHPian

I drove Pune - Belgaum on 22 May. Too many diversions, reducing the pace considerably. The Karad - Kolhapur section has sharp cuts on the left side and if anybody is less careful, it may result in big accidents. There are not even barricades kept on the side. The whole route is in a mess, with traffic jams in between. There is no reduction in toll anywhere here as someone pointed out above. I regretted not checking the route enough before starting the journey.

The single-day Pune - Bangalore drive is a thing of the past, at least till the massive work is completed. But unless it is an entry controlled highway, it is going to result in reckless, wild and haphazard driving.

And yes, a ring road in Pune will help. I had difficulty in crossing Pune from Chakan side towards Satara.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 25th May 2024 at 20:41.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 13:48   #3716

The return back to Pune is planned this weekend, 08-Jun. Based on all the suggestions, I am looking to take the Solapur road.
We had the BPCL COCO at Belagavi which was ideal to tank up. Do we have anything similar in Solapur road? Preferably in KA since Petrol is cheaper
Old 4th June 2024, 15:58   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash1407 View Post
The return back to Pune is planned this weekend, 08-Jun. Based on all the suggestions, I am looking to take the Solapur road.
We had the BPCL COCO at Belagavi which was ideal to tank up. Do we have anything similar in Solapur road? Preferably in KA since Petrol is cheaper
You can refuel at BPCL COCO Zalki, this is after Vijapur.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y1HSmJUHxiXu1SXH9
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 09:52   #3718
BHPian

I took the Solapur-Bijapur-Chitradurga route both ways for my trip to Kerala ( left Pune on 15th and came back on 4th ). Starting point was Kharadi, so this option made even more sense to me

- On the drive to Kerala, left Pune at 5.30 am and reached Chitradurga at 5pm. Stress levels were much less overall, as the roads were less congested. Pune-Solapur can usually be a pain, but it was ok on the day we drove.

- On our return trip, we had stayed at Tumkur (as we had started late from Kerala ). Started from Tumkur at 5.15 am, reached Pune (Kharadi) at 6.30 pm . We got into some good traffic during the last one hour or so, but it was still not too bad.

For me ( considering where I stay) this is now a much better option as I don't have to cross Pune City especially on the way back. The advantage will be reduced a bit once the road works in the Pune -Belgaum-Hubli sections are completed, but let us see when that happens.

The main challenge in the Pune-Solapur-Bijapur-Chitradurga road, as some have already mentioned, is the shortage of decent restaurants/rest stops and most importantly clean washrooms along the route ( especially between Solapur and Chitradurga).

Last edited by Bigzero : 6th June 2024 at 09:56.
Bigzero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 21:03   #3719
BHPian

Members,
Leaving for Kerala from Mumbai, on the 8th, which is the day after tomorrow. I will be sticking to Pune Bangalore only since it's a familiar highway, although I must be mentally prepared to not be frustrated due to the sheer number of diversions. Stay tuned to this thread. Will update the condition of the highway once I reach Kerala.

Last edited by KK2001 : 6th June 2024 at 21:05.
Old 7th June 2024, 07:26   #3720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
Members,
Leaving for Kerala from Mumbai, on the 8th, which is the day after tomorrow. I will be sticking to Pune Bangalore only since it's a familiar highway, although I must be mentally prepared to not be frustrated due to the sheer number of diversions. Stay tuned to this thread. Will update the condition of the highway once I reach Kerala.
Also update on the 4 laned road between Dharwad and Hubli - is this operational now or still under construction.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed