Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2024, 11:35   #3721
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac01 View Post
We did a Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore return trip recently, both journeys via the Chitradurga-Solapur-Pune route given the better road conditions compared to the conventional Belgaum-Kolhapur route under repair.

For the overnight break during the onward journey we stayed at - Hotel Swamiraj Executive, at Sardewadi toll plaza after Solapur. While on the return trip, we stayed at - Royal INN, just before Solapar. We skipped our breakfast at both places as we had an early start in the morning.

Was checking Royal Inn since I too might need a night stopover , it looks more of a restaurent than a Hotel for lodging,also the reviews are of food only. Can you please confirm.
Old 7th June 2024, 14:41   #3722

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic303 View Post
Hi Mik,
Can you advise which route did you finally ended up taking and your feedback?
Regards,
Nitin
Late post: We completed our Bangalore trip via the Solapur - Vijaypura route. The road conditions are good. However, as most of us have pointed out, the clean bathrooms and good hotels are not as many.
Here are some stats for our trip:
Started from Pune (Undri) at 5.30 am and reached Bangalore (Nikoo Homes, Bhartiya Nagar) at 7.30 pm. Took 3 breaks of about 30 min each.
On the way back from Bangalore, started at 6 am (Yeshwanthpur) and were in Pune (Undri) by 7 pm.
Old 7th June 2024, 18:41   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also update on the 4 laned road between Dharwad and Hubli - is this operational now or still under construction.
It is still under construction. I am not sure how long it would take for it to be completed.
Old 11th June 2024, 21:00   #3724

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Was checking Royal Inn since I too might need a night stopover , it looks more of a restaurent than a Hotel for lodging,also the reviews are of food only. Can you please confirm.
Yes, I am surprised too that none of the reviews cover anything about accommodation.

But, I can confirm it has decent accommodation as we stayed here overnight, early in May. It's also tagged as OYO Royal Inn on G-map. The lodging rooms are located on the rear side of the reception lobby. They had both AC and non-AC rooms with ample Car parking space by these rooms. It's an OYO chain hotel.

The only downside was that they could not give us morning tea/coffee at 6 am when we had planned to leave, even after giving them a heads-up. Hope this helps.
Old 13th June 2024, 15:51   #3725

An update: Travelled from Bengaluru (Nagarbhavi) to Pune (Pimpri) on 09-Jun and based on all the suggestions took the Solapur road.
My travel time was high; almost 17 hrs. The car was a brand new Honda Elevate (1483 kms) when I started. Two small kids (6 and 3) with a boot full of luggage and I had to keep the speeds in check; multiple stops and slightly longer breakfast and lunch stops.
The rains until Solapur was very light, not more than 5 mins. But around 100 kms before Pune, it rained very heavily; more than half hour. And again after entering Pune while crossing Hadapsar.
Based on the drive, I would from now on prefer this road and one of the main reason is Tar roads all the way instead of Concrete roads.
Prash1407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 21:13   #3726
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all who are keeping this thread updated.

I will be doing Bangalore to Pune on 17th, June, via the Chitradurga - Solapur route, which seems to be most preferred. Return to Bangalore on the 19th June.
Old 15th June 2024, 22:07   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Is this the route being recommended these days? I thought that the Solapur route can be quite a long drive. With even all the diversions after Belgaum, won't the standard route via Hubli still be faster? (14 hours?)
Old 15th June 2024, 22:24   #3728
Senior - BHPian

Long but stress free except for few sections having unmarked speed bumpers. But good all the way to Solapur, as per my understanding. Even Google recommends it based on my travel times (early morning start; very early).
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 16:38   #3729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimal_67 View Post
2. The A2B at Sira is ideally located for vehicles exiting Bangalore for a food and bio break.
Good to note. I was not aware. Post Sira I only remember seeing a Shell for which one has to exit much earlier. An A2B is perfect. I have been looking for one such place for a long time.

Last edited by ampere : 16th June 2024 at 22:55.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 17:18   #3730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I thought that the Solapur route can be quite a long drive. With even all the diversions after Belgaum, won't the standard route via Hubli still be faster? (14 hours?)
You are correct. From my recent drives, I say that the usual NH48 via Belgavi and Kolhapur is still the faster route in spite of all the diversions and road work. It takes 14 hours to Pune instead of earlier 12 hours by that route. On the other hand, Solapur route takes anywhere from 14 to 16 hours depending on where you want to go in Pune and what time you reach there.

I think it all depends on where exactly in Pune one wants to reach in the end. From my own experiences of driving on these routes frequently, I would summarize this as follows:

1. If your destination is anywhere near Western Pune or Pune-Mumbai highway, then the regular Belgavi-Kolhapur-Pune (NH48) route is still the best. The diversions are not as bad as they are made out to be. It is more of a shock reaction of those who were expecting a fast highway drive. Once you are mentally prepared to tackle those diversions and accept some delay and slowdown, it is not that bad at all. I still prefer that road fully knowing the diversions.

2. If your destination is Eastern parts of Pune, or if you are reaching/starting from Pune at very late night or very early morning (zero traffic hours), only then the Solapur route makes sense. Else you have to cross entire Pune city in horrible traffic and that more than negates any time saved (in fact there is no time saving in the first place - Solapur route is longer by an hour or two than Kolhapur route in spite of all the diversions there, and then on top of that crossing Pune city is a terrible idea).

Last edited by Dr.AD : 16th June 2024 at 17:32.
Dr.AD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 16:24   #3731
Senior - BHPian

Started from Bangalore at 3.30am (R R Nagar) and reached Viman Nagar, Pune, at parking at 3pm . Had stopped for an 30 minutes for brunch and refueling. Early morning start really have a mostly traffic free road till Solapur.

Total distance covered 890kms.

Roads getting out of Bangalore and inside Pune were the worst. Once you get on to Chitradurga toll road, it is smooth sailing all along. Except for short burst of 120kmph, drive was mostly in cruise at either 100kmph or 80kmph. Came down to 80kmph because I was predicted to reach much earlier than unwanted to.

There are speed bumps between Hosapete and Vijayapura. Almost all are marked in varying degrees of a sign board. Just follow the norm that if there is an intersection, a speed bumps will be there and reduce speed accordingly.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 13:51   #3732
BHPian

Quick update from my Pune BLR(via hubli) drive earlier this week
1. Total Drive time was 11.5 hrs
2. Thanks to my start time of 330am from Camp in Pune, the first Pune Satara was a breeze with 2 bad quality diversions
3. Satara to belgaum was painful, too many diversions and multiple speedbrakers on them make it horrible. the time for this route of 220kms took 4hrs+
4. satara to kolhapur is slightly dangerous as small sections of newly laid 3 lane tarmac would endup in 2 lane old tarmac with no warning. So need to be very careful
5. kolhapur to belgaum stretch was totally on Diversions with speedbrakers.
6. Belgaum to Tumkur was super good, just watch out for speed cameras
7. Tumkur to bangalore was painful again thanks to construction.

Suggest to stick to Solapur route, with rains ongoing the diversions will get more painful.
i had some work in belgaum hence this route.
thanks
W@SIM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:14   #3733
Senior - BHPian

A note on food stops on the Pune - Solapur - Bangalore route.

There is a Sukh Sagar right on the highway exit ramp from NH50 to NH48 (which bypasses Chitradurga). This is right off the road and no detour needed.

There are other places post that, but most of them looked deserted some needed service road detour.

The Bangalore - Pune route seems to be devoid of such options, apart from A2B, which ends up coming up too soon for early starters from Bangalore.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 17:43   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also update on the 4 laned road between Dharwad and Hubli - is this operational now or still under construction.
Just drove to Kerala on the 8th of June and came back y'day. NH48 is a little difficult to navigate from Satara to Sankeshwar, in Belgaum. Multiple diversions in between and they have huge speed breakers. The stretch from Hubli to Dharwad is still two way, and the 4 laned stretch hasn't opened yet. But, there is a saving grace. You can catch up on the lost time from Dharwad to Bangalore since that stretch is excellent.

But despite all of the diversions, would still recommend NH48 because taking the longer route via Solapur doesn't make sense.

Last edited by KK2001 : 21st June 2024 at 17:49.
KK2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 18:03   #3735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Suggest to stick to Solapur route, with rains ongoing the diversions will get more painful.
Please also exercise caution with rains and roads flooding with water. These high speed corridors during rain become very risky cases for aquaplaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A note on food stops on the Pune - Solapur - Bangalore route.

There is a Sukh Sagar right on the highway exit ramp from NH50 to NH48 (which bypasses Chitradurga). This is right off the road and no detour needed.
Another good find besides the Sira A2B. Thanks for pointing to this. Good even for Hubli bound folks.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed