Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 12:57   #571
BHPian

I did this stretch yesterday.

I did notice the Ranibennur bypass being ready with reflectors and all but was there by 8:00 PM and hence did not venture into it.

There is no effect of rains in Davengere-Harihar roads. They are the same. I did notice some nasty speed breakers in Davengere - Chitradurga section. The road was well marked with reflectors giving the impressing everything is fine and dandy but all of a sudden these humps appear for no reason in the highway!!! I came across atleast three of them, unmarked and I had to jump through them at 90kmph!!

Overall the situation is improving and if Ranibennur bypass opens, it will be such a great relief.

Nainar
Old 9th June 2010, 14:28   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
I did this stretch yesterday.

The road was well marked with reflectors giving the impressing everything is fine and dandy but all of a sudden these humps appear for no reason in the highway!!! I came across atleast three of them, unmarked and I had to jump through them at 90kmph!!
Nainar
Totally agree with you on those unmarked speedbreakers on a completely ready stretch when suddenly you spot them. I almost bumped over one with my 3 month daughter onboard but hinted at my wife to hold her tight as I was not fully sure if I would be able to stop in time!

Here are pictures taken on my way back from the Davanagere-Chitradurga stretch.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_2456.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_2455.jpg
Old 10th June 2010, 10:50   #573
BHPian

Bangalore to Shimoga (Peenya or Yelahanka Route) ?

Hi All,

I am traveling tomorrow to Shimoga and would be traveling from Whitefield area(from my office). I will be starting at 3.30PM and would have to pick my inlaws from Hebbal and then driving to Shimoga.
Need help in deciding the route to reach Tumkur road, since I think I am traveling in peak-hours thru the Hebbal/Tumkur road.

1. Would it be faster to reach tumkur road by going - Yelahanka - Doddabalapur- Dobbaspet - Tumkur?
2. Would it be good to travel from Hebbal - Tumkur road - Nelamangala- Tumkur.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
Anup
Old 10th June 2010, 11:14   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming that you'll be in Hebbal around 4-30/5-00pm It makes sense to take the BEL HMT Jalahalli cross to reach Tumkur road and you'll just have to pass 2 signals which as of today are not a pain during this time of the day. Also, whenever i've started around 4/5pm from Vidyaranyapura I always opt this route. Taking Dobspet route makes sense only while returning into Bangalore during morning and evening peak hours.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:52   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Assuming that you'll be in Hebbal around 4-30/5-00pm It makes sense to take the BEL HMT Jalahalli cross to reach Tumkur road and you'll just have to pass 2 signals which as of today are not a pain during this time of the day. Also, whenever i've started around 4/5pm from Vidyaranyapura I always opt this route. Taking Dobspet route makes sense only while returning into Bangalore during morning and evening peak hours.

Thanks Parag.

I have my next query as to how long does it take to reach Nelamangala from Hebbal say if I start from Hebbal by around 4.15? depending on this I can guestimate my landing time in Shimoga.

Thanks,
Anup
Old 10th June 2010, 15:42   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Thanks Parag.

I have my next query as to how long does it take to reach Nelamangala from Hebbal say if I start from Hebbal by around 4.15? depending on this I can guestimate my landing time in Shimoga.

Thanks,
Anup
I usually start from Vidyaranyapura and then go towards HMT, Jalahalli Aiyappa Temple, the Jalahalli arch signal and then Join NH4 (Tumkur Road) and after this there is just one signal (8th Mile/Reliance office). The Jam you might encounter is between these two signals and I am sure from the very recent road conditions, you should be able to manage this sooner. They have opened the 3 lanes below the bridge here and traffic flows smoothly these days.

From Hebbal, I advise you to take the ring road till BEL Circle and then deviate right towards Jalahalli and join Tumkur road to avoid getting stuck at the railway crossing on the ring road and even saving a good time avoiding Goreguntepalya and Jalahalli Cross signal from City side towards Tumkur Road.

In all, if you start from Hebbal at 4-15pm, you would be in in Nelamangala within 50-60 minutes for sure. If you are lucky, it might just take 45 minutes.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:22   #577
Team-BHP Support

Any rain update on NH4? Is it raining on this part of the country?
I was thinking of a day trip to Chitradurga fort.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:40   #578
BHPian

I dont know now, but last week on June 8th it was raining cats and dogs between Kholapur - Belgaum. But you can anticipate more rains as monsoon has kicked in at Maharashtra.

Nainar
Old 14th June 2010, 20:05   #579
Team-BHP Support

Folks,

Does that mean, its not worth venturing to Chitradurga, in this weather?
Old 21st June 2010, 11:54   #580

Hello All,

I have done around 15 times Mumbai - Bangalore in last two years. Yes the trick is starting early to avoid traffic in Mumbai or Bangalore. Usually I take around 11 to 12 hours if I start early in the morning. If you start late then it can go up to 15 hours. If you are travelling from Mumbai Hotel Sai 10 kms before Kolhapur is a good place for breakfast. Also they have some clean toilets.

Road between Harihar - Ranibennur - Chitradurga part of it is under construction and which will reduce your average speed. Also on the same stretch be aware of unmarked humps as well as culverts which is really bumpy.

Another unmarked hump is between Chitradurga and Tumkur near Sira, I have seen lot vehicle’s axel got broken be speeding through this particular hump

The kind of vehicle I drive are Merc E 240, Captiva and Swift. The humps they put near the elevated highway construction are really big and can ground clearance can be issue and have to be careful.

Also some of the Indian oil pumps will not accept credit cards, so keep enough cash for refueling and tolls.

This July I am going to drive all the way to Kerala and back. Hope it will be raining and I enjoy driving during rains.

All of you wish a pleasant journey
Old 21st June 2010, 13:45   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnleks View Post
Hello All,

Another unmarked hump is between Chitradurga and Tumkur near Sira, I have seen lot vehicle’s axel got broken be speeding through this particular hump
The same has been removed 6-8 month before and moreover it was a single speed breaker (either sides) small in size but good enough for a bigger scare while one is cruising in comfort zone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnleks View Post
Also some of the Indian oil pumps will not accept credit cards, so keep enough cash for refueling and tolls.
Most of the Fuel station on this route do not accept cards as the mode of payment unless you are venturing into bigger towns like DVG, Hubli, Belgaum and Kolhapur.

Also, for the increase in the number of private vehicles/traffic between Kolhapur - Pune/Mumbai, there are a few fuel outlets who accept card however, it is best to carry cash whenever driving on any of the Indian highways.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st June 2010 at 13:46.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:47   #582
BHPian

Any latest updates on this route, especially because of rains? Am traveling next weekend to Pune.

Nainar
Old 12th July 2010, 16:54   #583
BHPian

I might be doing this route next week, anybody has any updates on the most recent road conditions, monsoon updates?
Thanks
Old 12th July 2010, 17:03   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
I might be doing this route next week, anybody has any updates on the most recent road conditions, monsoon updates?
Thanks
No significant change in road conditions from earlier time.
Old 12th July 2010, 17:26   #585
BHPian

I did BLR - PUNE two days back. One good thing!! Ranibennur bypass is open and one doen't have to go through the town. For some strange reason they have opened only one of carriageway. So, you share the 2 lanes but it is way better anyway. The wretched railway gates are still around and will take a while. I lost around 25 minutes waiting for one of the gates to open.

Chitradurga-Davengere has seen improvements as well. Watchout for speed breakers appearing out of nowhere as mentioned earlier in that stretch.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks