Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 13:16   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Came back from the Mumbai-Bangalore trip yesterday. Stared out from Mumbai (Dahisar) at around 5.40 am. Reached R.T. Nagar-Bangalore at 9.15 am. Approx 15.5 hours of total time, including 2 hours of stopovers. Some key points:
1. More speedbreakers have come up as Lavish mentioned. These are immediately after the Belgaum toll gate when coming from Mumbai. But there are some signages of go-slow, humps ahead etc, which will help you. Similarly some more right after Kamat’s at Ranibennur when driving from Bangalore towards Mumbai
2. There is this big speedbreaker at Tumkur on both directions approx 50 kms from Bangalore. It’s a busy road with a big junction and well marked. So you would not miss it.
3. The toffee transaction is well on. If you give them Rs.60, they give you 2 eclairs for a Rs.58 toll. The next time, I plan to take éclairs along and give them Rs.8 worth of éclairs. Let’s see how they react.
4. Looks like a severe shortage of Rs.5 coins at all toll operators, since most of the tolls are in multiples of 5, try to carry some coins with you to avoid time waste.
5. Road condition in Karnataka is much better than Maharashtra. I was somewhat happy that my high road taxes are yielding some results. That being said, lots of lane widening and concretization work going on both the sides
6. If you plan your to and fro on a weekday, you would find less traffic than weekends or holidays
7. The Railway flyovers at Ranibennur are a boon. No more time wasted now.
8. Harihar Bypass into the city is a bit of a surprise, but you cannot miss it. Once this is over (you will pass by Grasim cement etc) you will come at a point where the straight ahead road looks like a crowded market place. There is a yellow non-descript board showing the direction towards Bangalore pointing towards the right. This takes you back to NH4. When you follow this service road and see NH4 parallel to the service road on the right, ensure you join the NH4 only where the roads actually converge. I made the mistake of going slightly uphill from an unmarked point to connect to NH4 from the right, and found Pune bound traffic coming towards me. Fortunately it wasn’t too dense so was able to turn back and join the road correctly.
9. In Maharashtra, the 2 wheeler and sugarcane cart menace is too much. The state buses adamantly run on the right most lane, leaving you with only one lane on the left to overtake, while avoiding 2-wheelers. Also watch out for the vehicles and trucks suddenly sprouting from the right side of the road and cutting across the highway, in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:24   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Another update which i missed out.

Look out for a speedbreaker aftre Haveri bye pass if you are coming from Mumbai - near a village Kakolu. "Go Slow" signs and handpaineted raod hump signs are there.If coming from Bangalore yoou will encounter this after you cross Havri flyover.

Till Hubli there are speedbrekers only

a) At Kyatsandra on outskirts of tumkur
b) Bharamasagara between Chitradurga and Davanagere
c) Kakolu as mentioned above

There is some work happenning between Tumkur and Chitradurga near Kallambella and Hiriyur and hence diversions at these places. Properly signaged. Hence no worries.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:35   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
"the old signage for Bangalore" is actualy a new signane and is supposed to be followed when one goes to Bangalore. Many dont do it and take the road meant for Bangalore-Pune direction and surprise those drivers. I think it was discussed with maps here or elsewhere.
In fact, on my way to Bangalore I found a police vehicle take this road meant for Bangalore-Pune direction and there was a traffic cop who signalled me to use this road.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:47   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi Nekfar. Sorry read your post just now. You must already be on your way. We had taken food from home last time. But there are a couple of Kamat's and some Reliance A1 plazas on the way where you can pick up food.

Took the Yeshwantpur-Neelamangala-Tumkur route. It was at about 5.30 in the morning. except for a 5 minute jam opp yeshwantpur, was absolutely no traffic. Could also be because it was a weekday.
While travelling from Mumbai to Shantinagar-Bangalore on 28th Dec night, I took the Tumkur-Neelamangala-Yeshwantpur route and I guess since it was after 11pm, there was hardly any traffic. However, when coming back on 3rd Jan, I took the Mysore road instead to join the NICE road. Even though it meant that I had to take a longer route and pay a toll of Rs. 58/- it was fast even though some metro work was going on en route. (I had found that even at 6.30am there was traffic on Hosur road on my way to Coimbatore the next day on 29th Dec. However, the BETL is a breeze upto Athibelle)
Old 4th January 2012, 16:35   #1070
BHPian

Even I was traveling to Pune on 30th and came back on 2nd.

Quote:
3. The toffee transaction is well on. If you give them Rs.60, they give you 2 eclairs for a Rs.58 toll. The next time, I plan to take éclairs along and give them Rs.8 worth of éclairs. Let’s see how they react.
Well said. Even I was feeling the same way while receiving the chocolates!!! . We passed two toll gates which are getting ready and not collecting the fees. I guess this is the best situation were you use the good roads and at the same time not required to pay for it. Something like 100% discount sale!

Quote:
4. Looks like a severe shortage of Rs.5 coins at all toll operators, since most of the tolls are in multiples of 5, try to carry some coins with you to avoid time waste.
Fortunately I keep all the 5 rupee coins in my car to tip the petrol pump guys after air pressure check. I used all those coins this time.

Quote:
6. If you plan your to and fro on a weekday, you would find less traffic than weekends or holidays
On 1st, we we were coming back from Ganapatipule to Pune and touched NH4 for last few KMs. Gosh, what a traffic! I think MG Road of BLR in weekdays office time are much better!

Quote:
9. In Maharashtra, the 2 wheeler and sugarcane cart menace is too much. The state buses adamantly run on the right most lane, leaving you with only one lane on the left to overtake, while avoiding 2-wheelers. Also watch out for the vehicles and trucks suddenly sprouting from the right side of the road and cutting across the highway, in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
My experience was a bit close while coming back from Pune on 2nd Jan. One state bus was on the left lane (for a change) and I was going to overtake it from right but few metre's behind. Suddenly it started moving towards right lane and the horns or the blinking of lights didnt help to stop the bus from changing the lane. No doubt, even I felt these buses are the most irritating factors on the Highway (its the same in Maharastra or Karnataka).

Last edited by musafir_blr : 4th January 2012 at 16:38.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:25   #1071
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Normally, you will encounter fog going south as you cross the Khandala tunnel just before reaching Khandala-LOnavla
Fog was encountered on my way to Bangalore early morning on 28th Dec'11 at this stretch. During my return from Coimbatore, there was early morning fog at Thoppur ghats only and thereafter from Bangalore towards Mumbai there was no fog encountered. I guess the cyclone 'Thane' which crossed land between Puducherry and Cuddalore blew away the cold air over the land and weather was pleasant and slightly warmer on 2nd and 3rd Jan'12 compared to 28th and 29th Dec'11.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 5th January 2012 at 20:26.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 13:17   #1072
BHPian

Hi all,
Did my BOM-BLR trip on the 30th of last month. started at 5.00 am from andheri and was in Bangalore by 7.30pm. nothing much to write about on my first leg except that encounterd some rain close to tumkur (possibly the Thane cyclone effect) which slowed my speed for the last few kms.

Returned to Bombay on 7th Jan. Left at 6.40 am and reached home at 10pm.

My fellow travellers have covered much of the points on the speedbreakers, road conditions in MH and KA, traffic sense in MH etc.

however, just wanted to share a thing which I observed at some of the Tolls in maharashtra. Many of you may have noticed that. I was aware that passing through Tolls (particularly at Khedshivapur and anewadi) would be time consuming due to heavy traffic and was prepared for it. However, to my pleasant surprise when i took the left most toll lane at these tollgates, traffic was moving quicker on account of toll collectors using a hand machines to issue the toll. In this way i avoided much delay at the toll booths.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:37   #1073
BHPian

Nevertheless even without the toll collection hand-held machines used by the collectors, I observed that it applies to many of the other toll booths in Karnataka and Tamilnadu as well.

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 9th January 2012 at 19:40.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:57   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Just an update for users: There are 3 diversions just after Sira toll coming from bangalore to mumbai. These are preceded by a huge speedbreaker so be careful. The first is 5-6 km after the toll the next is 17 km and the third 58 km after the sira toll.
Entered mumbai on Sunday 8 Jan afternoon and traffic was light. Split into 2 days driving on NH4 was a pleasure and good FE too :-)
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:14   #1075
BHPian

I would like to ask my fellow BHPians. Has anyone noticed and noted the various locations on the NH4 from Pune to Benguluru which have shops that repair flat (punctured) tyres. A friend of mine asked me this query and since I am not aware about this, am raising it in this thread.

I am sure most of us have a spare tyre with us for such long distance driving. And some of us have in order to minimise / get some relief from tyre puncture problems have been using Special tyre liquid sealant to protect the tubeless tyres from punctures.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:36   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
I would like to ask my fellow BHPians. Has anyone noticed and noted the various locations on the NH4 from Pune to Benguluru which have shops that repair flat (punctured) tyres. A friend of mine asked me this query and since I am not aware about this, am raising it in this thread.

I am sure most of us have a spare tyre with us for such long distance driving. And some of us have in order to minimise / get some relief from tyre puncture problems have been using Special tyre liquid sealant to protect the tubeless tyres from punctures.
Most of the places on the highways where you see trucks parked around eateries will usually have a puncture repair shop. If not, ask the shop or the truckwala and they can direct you to one.

In the past 7 years, the only time I had to look around for a Puncture shop was in the middle of the night while driving back from Pune towards Bangalore in 2009.

There are a few in Karad town which had all the lights to indicate a repair shop but they never obliged to fix the flat in my car.

The next set of puncture repair shops are located exactly at Kagal Commercial tax checkpost. If you take the service lane it is not difficult to miss them.

We woke them up and they charged us double to fix a flat tire around 2am.

I am on Tubeless for good since the past 2 years and carry a DIY kit with me and so far have not encountered a flat tire.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd February 2012 at 14:38.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 11:50   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekfar View Post
Hi all,
Did my BOM-BLR trip on the 30th of last month. started at 5.00 am from andheri and was in Bangalore by 7.30pm. nothing much to write about on my first leg except that encounterd some rain close to tumkur (possibly the Thane cyclone effect) which slowed my speed for the last few kms.

Returned to Bombay on 7th Jan. Left at 6.40 am and reached home at 10pm.

My fellow travellers have covered much of the points on the speedbreakers, road conditions in MH and KA, traffic sense in MH etc.

however, just wanted to share a thing which I observed at some of the Tolls in maharashtra. Many of you may have noticed that. I was aware that passing through Tolls (particularly at Khedshivapur and anewadi) would be time consuming due to heavy traffic and was prepared for it. However, to my pleasant surprise when i took the left most toll lane at these tollgates, traffic was moving quicker on account of toll collectors using a hand machines to issue the toll. In this way i avoided much delay at the toll booths.
>>>
nekfar,

How do you do?

Since you have done the Bombay Bangalore run recently, I am curious to know the following from you :

1. The speeds that you were able to maintain on the segments ( I mean safe driving speeds)
2. Details on stopovers for breakfast, lunch etc., etc.
3. Any stretches where one has to drive (extra) carefully due to bad road and/or traffic conditions

Thank you
issigonis
Old 27th February 2012, 12:46   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
nekfar,

How do you do?

Since you have done the Bombay Bangalore run recently, I am curious to know the following from you :

1. The speeds that you were able to maintain on the segments ( I mean safe driving speeds)
2. Details on stopovers for breakfast, lunch etc., etc.
3. Any stretches where one has to drive (extra) carefully due to bad road and/or traffic conditions

Thank you
issigonis
a) You can comfortably cruise at 120 KMPH on this Highway. No worries. It also depends on which car you are driving.

b) There are many places for breakfast/lunch. You can see it in the thread.

c) There are no bad roads except for road humps between Chitradurga and Davanagere. Apart from that, truck traffic increases after Chitradurga after evening. Two wheeler traffic increases between Satara and Pune between 8-10 AM and 5-7PM
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:09   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

I completely agree with the captain but for me personally car has not made a difference during all my trips which were mostly in my WagonR and thrice in our ANHC.

Apart from that, here is the additional info that might help you.

The idea is to start as early as possible from Mumbai so that you cross Pune-Kolhapur stretch when traffic is thin.

Though driving in 3 digit speeds will help maintain a good average in the end you will almost match anyone who is able to maintain 2 digit speeds.

Here is a break-up of the road conditions:-

1. Mumbai-Pune expressway:-
Your only bottleneck should be the start of Khandala Ghats on the e-way where it is usual to get stuck behind a beeline of trucks hogging all the lanes and doing single digit speeds. But this is only at the climb and the rest of your drive is going to be smooth.

2. Pune-Kolhapur:-
The usual irritation on this stretch is the miscellaneous traffic that builds up during the day as well as the 4 toll booths before you hit Kagal (KA-MH Border) which at times can witness long queues. Hence leaving early from Mumbai helps.

3. Kolhapur-Dharwad Bypass:-
This will remain the fastest stretch of your whole journey where you can easily maintain 3 digit speeds (and safely).

4. Dharwad-Hubli Bypass:-
This is 2 lane road without a median spanning 30 kms but remains in excellent shape.

5. Hubli circle-Davanagere:-
Good roads all the and no more waiting at the railway gates at Haveri and Renebennuer (since more than 8 months now). Harihar bypass while driving south (towards Bangalore) has a diversion where essentially you will have to take the left at the fork). No confusions here, simply follow the traffic and you will join the other side of Harihar and the main highway after about 5 kms.

6. Davanagere-Chitradurga:-
This stretch is notorious for speedbreakers and hence advise you to drive cautiously and there are enough warning signs to slow you down and stay in control.

7. Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelemangala:-
This stretch witnesses additional traffic as compared to the previous one and usually trucks occupy the fast lane and at times you will see them overtaking each other at single digit speeds. Nevertheless, this is not of much concern during the day/evening unless you are passing this after 10pm.
(also, this stretch has about 2 diversions to facilitate bridge construction /6 laning)

8. Nelemangala-Bangalore:-
You will glide over the tollway and additionally you may need to decide to exit or continue on this stretch depending on your final destination (whether taking NICE road etc).

Here are the details of the eateries both ways:

Eateries during the day (Bangalore-Pune) in the order they appear when driving north:
  1. Kamat at Dobspet & Sira.
  2. Kathewadi Dhaba after Ranebennur. Supposed to be really good.
  3. Kamat at Ranebennur (Before bypass)
  4. Ghar BPCL Ranebennur (after bypass)
  5. Garuda at Shiggaon (Easy access via service lane after Shiggaon town)
  6. A restaurant attached to a water park before Hubli Circle
  7. Sankam (Belgaum and hardly 1 km away from highway)
  8. Mc Donalds at Kolhapur – Good signage to reach this place.
  9. Prasad – At Sangli Phata, at Kolhapur
  10. Vittal Kamat – Somewhere before Khedshivpur

Eateries during the day (Pune-Bangalore) in the order they appear when driving south:
  1. Mc Donalds : Near Khedshivpur
  2. Annapoorna after Karad
  3. Nothing worth in Kolpahur on the left hand side except Sai Resorts before Kolhapur (Before Kini Toll).
  4. Nothing worth in Belgaum on left hand side – Approach Sankam taking the service lane and crossing to other side below the bridge.
  5. Gokul (A very normal place for snacks) at Kittur.
  6. Kamat after about 10 kms from Hubli circle.
  7. Genysis after Harihar and before Davanagere.
  8. A regular hotel (forgot the name) at Hiriyur close to HP fuel station.
  9. Kamat at Sira and Dobspet.

More info on eateries by others is welcome as I could remember only so much from my past drives.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th February 2012 at 13:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:46   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
a) You can comfortably cruise at 120 KMPH..
c) There are no bad roads except for road humps between Chitradurga and Davanagere. Apart from that, truck traffic increases after Chitradurga after evening. Two wheeler traffic increases between Satara and Pune between 8-10 AM and 5-7PM
>>>

Fauji, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I completely agree with the captain
Here is a break-up of the road conditions:-

1. Mumbai-Pune expressway:-
Your only bottleneck should be the start of Khandala Ghats on the e-way where it is usual to get stuck behind a beeline of trucks hogging all the lanes and doing single digit speeds. But this is only at the climb and the rest of your drive is going to be smooth.
>>> This is fine
2. Pune-Kolhapur:-
The usual irritation on this stretch is the miscellaneous traffic that builds up during the day as well as the 4 toll booths before you hit Kagal (KA-MH Border) which at times can witness long queues. Hence leaving early from Mumbai helps.
>>> Yes, this stretch is a troublesome; remember a bad speed breaker on a curving and long lefthander leading to Satara. Plus traffic around Poona is bad.
3. Kolhapur-Dharwad Bypass:-
This will remain the fastest stretch of your whole journey where you can easily maintain 3 digit speeds (and safely).
>>> Think so too, although have only driven to Ramnagar- Anmod enroute Goa, and the roads were not exactly top notch at all.
4. Dharwad-Hubli Bypass:-
This is 2 lane road without a median spanning 30 kms but remains in excellent shape.
>>> A single carriageway, you mean.
5. Hubli circle-Davanagere:-
Good roads all the and no more waiting at the railway gates at Haveri and Renebennuer (since more than 8 months now). Harihar bypass while driving south (towards Bangalore) has a diversion where essentially you will have to take the left at the fork). No confusions here, simply follow the traffic and you will join the other side of Harihar and the main highway after about 5 kms.
>>> Ok.
6. Davanagere-Chitradurga:-
This stretch is notorious for speedbreakers and hence advise you to drive cautiously and there are enough warning signs to slow you down and stay in control.
>>> Will do.
7. Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelemangala:-
This stretch witnesses additional traffic as compared to the previous one and usually trucks occupy the fast lane and at times you will see them overtaking each other at single digit speeds. Nevertheless, this is not of much concern during the day/evening unless you are passing this after 10pm.
(also, this stretch has about 2 diversions to facilitate bridge construction /6 laning)
>>> Ok.
8. Nelemangala-Bangalore:-
You will glide over the tollway and additionally you may need to decide to exit or continue on this stretch depending on your final destination (whether taking NICE road etc).
>>> Ok.

Alternatively I am thinking of driving in a relaxed manner and halting for the night in Hubli, which is about 580-590 kms from Bombay and doing the balance 400 odd to Bangalore the next morning.

Here are the details of the eateries both ways:

Eateries during the day (Bangalore-Pune) in the order they appear when driving north:
  1. Kamat at Dobspet & Sira.
  2. Kathewadi Dhaba after Ranebennur. Supposed to be really good.
  3. Kamat at Ranebennur (Before bypass)
  4. Ghar BPCL Ranebennur (after bypass)
  5. Garuda at Shiggaon (Easy access via service lane after Shiggaon town)
  6. A restaurant attached to a water park before Hubli Circle
  7. Sankam (Belgaum and hardly 1 km away from highway)
  8. Mc Donalds at Kolhapur – Good signage to reach this place.
  9. Prasad – At Sangli Phata, at Kolhapur
  10. Vittal Kamat – Somewhere before Khedshivpur

Eateries during the day (Pune-Bangalore) in the order they appear when driving south:
  1. Mc Donalds : Near Khedshivpur
  2. Annapoorna after Karad
  3. Nothing worth in Kolpahur on the left hand side except Sai Resorts before Kolhapur (Before Kini Toll).
  4. Nothing worth in Belgaum on left hand side – Approach Sankam taking the service lane and crossing to other side below the bridge.
  5. Gokul (A very normal place for snacks) at Kittur.
  6. Kamat after about 10 kms from Hubli circle.
  7. Genysis after Harihar and before Davanagere.
  8. A regular hotel (forgot the name) at Hiriyur close to HP fuel station.
  9. Kamat at Sira and Dobspet.

More info on eateries by others is welcome as I could remember only so much from my past drives.
>>> A wealth of info. on the eateries is very welcome.

From Bombay, if I make an early start (which is 6.00 am), it will likely be tea after the toll on the Bombay -Poona Expressway or at McDonald's in Panvel. Breakfast at Ginger, Wakad, then lunch at McDonald's Kolhapur ( on the other side of the road) from past experience. After that there could be tea in Belgaum perhaps. Your info. comes in handy thereafter!

Regards
issigonis

Most Viewed