Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 15:03   #1231
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Bangalore - Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Friends - am planning a Mumbai-Bangalore itinerary this saturday in my new Yeti and plan to do the distance in a day - starting early morning from Mumbai. Going through posts, I get to understand that this could translate into a 16-18 hr journey (have 2 kids and hence speeds will be, well, governed!). Wanted to know if anyone in this group has done this stretch in the last 30 days and has any trip plan to share. Thanks!

Cheers!

Siju
Been on that route a couple of weeks back. Left Mumbai at 4:30 AM and was in Bangalore at 6:30 PM. This is including a breakfast,lunch and evening tea break.
Roads are excellent all along and hence you can maintain decent speeds. I too travelled with kids.

On the way back, it was the same story, left Bangalore at 4:00 AM and reached Mumbai at 6:15 PM.

Hence you should be able to do it easily in 14-15 hrs.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 16:57   #1232
BHPian

Thanks, f1fan, that gives me a lot of confidence! Was it the standard NH4 route that you took or were there any devoations? and where did you stop for food and tea?
Old 5th November 2012, 21:03   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, f1fan, that gives me a lot of confidence! Was it the standard NH4 route that you took or were there any devoations? and where did you stop for food and tea?
Yup, the normal NH4 all the way !!

Following were my timelines:
1. Left Mumbai - 4:30 AM
2. Stopped at Sai International Kolhapur for breakfast - 9:00 AM
3. Stopped at Kamat Upchar - Rannebenur - 2:00 PM
4. Some small place before Tumkur for a glass of tea - 4:30 PM
5. Reached Bangalore - 6:30 PM

The pain areas are:
1. Roads between Pune and Satara have broken patches.
2. Due to road widening, there are some diversions post Hubli.

Absolutely peaceful driving as I too had my family including kids along. I believe if you leave early, it is easily doable in 14/15 hrs max.
f1fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 23:28   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Check this thread for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...teries-81.html

Mumbai-EW-Pune-NH4-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore.

Leave early around 3 am frm Mumbai,breakfast stop at Kolhapur ( Sai International,Mcdonalds,CCD) or else at Sankam Residency at Belgaum.

From Belgaum,you should be in Nelamangala in approximately 7-8hours.You can stop for lunch at Kamat,Ranebennur attached to a Reliance pump.

If you want stay overnight,Opal Kolhapur and Sankam Residency Belgaum,Clarks Hubli are all good places for a stopover.
Thanks, Ranjit....yup, that was the link I have spent a majority part of my last 3 days on! Thanks for the inputs. Guess if we leave early, we should do good in terms of time. Thanks again!
Old 6th November 2012, 02:50   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
... Absolutely peaceful driving as I too had my family including kids along. I believe if you leave early, it is easily doable in 14/15 hrs max.
Hey f1fan... 14 to 15hours for Bng - Mum sounds music to ears... btw, may i ask... [1] which powerhouse were you driving? [2] at what speeds were you cruising normally? and [3] were you the lone man at the steering or was there someone to share the duties?

Am asking you coz i was myself was planning Bng-Mum pre-diwali but called it off and booked myself for a volvo since i was alone and i haven't yet stretched my 6month old Beat Diesel beyond 90-100kph and that too for such a long stretch.
Old 6th November 2012, 03:43   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Hey f1fan... 14 to 15hours for Bng - Mum sounds music to ears... btw, may i ask... [1] which powerhouse were you driving? [2] at what speeds were you cruising normally? and [3] were you the lone man at the steering or was there someone to share the duties?

Am asking you coz i was myself was planning Bng-Mum pre-diwali but called it off and booked myself for a volvo since i was alone and i haven't yet stretched my 6month old Beat Diesel beyond 90-100kph and that too for such a long stretch.
You can sure do it in a beat diesel. We had done this stretch way back in 2009 on an alto. We took around 15 hours then, coz the stretch was not fully done. Early start is the key mantra here. If you can leave around 4ish in the morning, you can easily catch the setting sun of the mumbai skyline.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 09:00   #1237
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Just completed a trip from Bangalore to Mumbai yesterday. Took 13 hours for the journey starting at 3:15 am and two breaks.

Roads are good for the most part except the diversions before Pune, where the diverted road which has not been tarred. But this must be for only about 10 kms or so. Thankfully, the numerous speed breakers on NH4 close to tiny villages in Karnataka have gone.

Toll charges have gone up across the board, from ~720 to 950 now. Here is the breakup:

Name:  Toll.png
Views: 9489
Size:  17.3 KB
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 13:12   #1238
BHPian

Am all set for tomorrow early morning drive to Bangalore!! Hope to hit the road by 4:30am max. Planning to fill up fuel and also fill Nitrogen in the tyres (comments on this?) today evening. One query I had was around the stop places for breakfast and lunch.

1. For Breakfast - Sai International/McD/CCD. From my Google maps research, Sai, CCD and Mc D seem to be the pecking order when travelling from Mumbai (CCD and McD together?). And Sai seems to be on the left side while the other 2 are on the other side of the road. Are my observations correct?

2. Kamat Upachar for lunch, also seems to be on the othe side of the road. Is this correct? How do I make sure I don't overshoot this?

Cheers!
Siju
Old 9th November 2012, 15:42   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also fill Nitrogen in the tyres (comments on this?)
Not much of a difference between normal and nitrogen,since on the highways you dont get nitrogen anywhere plus normal air is also 70% nitrogen anyws

Quote:
1. For Breakfast - Sai International/McD/CCD. From my Google maps research, Sai, CCD and Mc D seem to be the pecking order when travelling from Mumbai (CCD and McD together?). And Sai seems to be on the left side while the other 2 are on the other side of the road. Are my observations correct?
Yes you are correct.If you feel hungry earlier,there is a McD immediately to your left after the Khed Shivapur Toll gate after you exit Pune,attached to a fuel pump.

Quote:
2. Kamat Upachar for lunch, also seems to be on the othe side of the road. Is this correct? How do I make sure I don't overshoot this?
Its after Ranebennur Bypass,to your right attached to a Reliance Pump,you should be able to see it.Approximately 40-45kms after Haveri Bypass ends.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=11&t=m&z=11

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th November 2012 at 15:44.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 16:11   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am all set for tomorrow early morning drive to Bangalore!! Hope to hit the road by 4:30am max.

Cheers!
Siju
There is a Kamat's after Hubli on the same side when you are coming from Mumbai. This is attached to a defunct Reliance Pump. I remember having lunch there when it was around 2 pm. I left from Mumbai at 5 am. So this could be more in line with your lunch timings. The Ranibennur Kamats would be another hour away and on the opposite side (Bangalore to Mumbai).
Old 9th November 2012, 21:51   #1241
BHPian

Just traveled from Bangalore-Pune Ahmednagar and back.

If you like, have authentic kohlapuri thali lunch at Rajdhani hotel at Kohlapur. Its about 2-3 kms from the highway towards Kohlapur on the first exit for Kohlapur from Mumbai to Bangalore. Mutton thali is the best, you also get to taste authentic red and white curry.

Maharathra side you have a number of options for eating out. There are very very few options in Karnataka. watch out for fuel stops. Options are few. You may not get petrol on highway pumps in Kohlapur. There is a Coco (HP) after Belgaum towards Bangalore. BP pump near Sira is also possibly COCO.

Road is excellent except near Satara, there are some huge craters. Hubli to dharwad - a significant portion is 2 laned. There are diversions between Sira and Chitradurga for 6 lane work, but in most of the cases, slow moving vehicles block three lanes.

Chitradurga to Kohlapur is the best part. B

Last edited by sumannandy : 9th November 2012 at 21:56.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 11:27   #1242
BHPian

On this particular Mumbai Bangalore route the thumbline is leave early, then you can cover the distance in 14.15 hours, if you leave late then the chances of getting stuck in either of the traffic in one of the cities is compulsory and will lose out on 2-3 hours.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 23:28   #1243
BHPian

Friends need your inputs. Planning trip from Bangalore->Mumbai->Shirdi-> Bangalore for 4 days.
Please let me know the best route to take. Also any sight seeing/tourist destinations between Mumbai to Shirdi.
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2012, 05:50   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist
Friends need your inputs. Planning trip from Bangalore->Mumbai->Shirdi-> Bangalore for 4 days.
Please let me know the best route to take. Also any sight seeing/tourist destinations between Mumbai to Shirdi.
Thanks in advance.
Blr-pune-mumbai-thane-kasara-goti-bypass-sinnar-shirdi-ahmednagar-pune-bangalore

Do not go through nasik,instead take the bypass from NH3 towards Sinnar.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 21st November 2012 at 05:56.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 07:42   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Update on Tumkur Chitradurga stretch of NH4
Drove to Hampi and back few days ago and was surprised at the rapid rate of work going on on this stretch of NH4. 6 laning work is being carried out here and when I last drove in Aug 12 there were diversions galore but very little work visible.
Now almost 20 to 25 % of the 6 laning is completed, some flyovers are in advanced stages of completion, the completed 6 laning work is absolutely fantastic, surface is super smooth and well marked. The diversions are a bit of a pain as they have speed breakers on some and narrow too, so overtaking a slow truck is difficult. Overall it reduced my travel time by about 30 40 min compared to the time it was 4 laned.
Cant wait to drive on this part when the work is over

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks