Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 14:58   #1336
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Hi All,

Brief scenario-

I recently got a job offer in Pune and have decided to shift there after spending 7 years in Bangalore.

I am yet to find a house in Pune, and will be specifically going there to find one on June 7.

I bought a Sunny XVD recently and it has done 1000kms till date. I am planning to drive down to Pune to move the car there instead of transporting it.

I also have a 47" LED TV, which I am reluctant to hand over to the movers and packers. Checked with INDIGO cargo as well, but they don't provide any assurance of safe transit other than marking the TV as FRAGILE.

Main topic-

I plan to put my TV in the car while driving down to Pune so that both, the car and the TV, are shifted to my new base under my supervision.

I have some questions for the esteemed members-

1) Since the car has done only 1000 kms till date, is it okay to drive it all the way to Pune? I plan on *not* exceeding 120 kmph all the way.

2) Shifting the TV in the car, is that a good option?

I will be driving with my wife, and we plan to start at 5am from Bangalore, expecting to reach Pune by 7pm, same day.

3) Are the diversions and speed breakers on the road likely to cause any impact to the TV? I have the original box and stuff retained that I will use to pack the LED before the journey.

4) Can someone please shed some light on the current conditions of NH-4?

5) Starting from Bangalore at 5am and reaching Pune by 7 or 8 pm, are these realistic timings, considering 3 breaks in between, lasting 30 mins each?

Your valuable inputs are highly appreciated, and yes, I am too particular / possessive about how my TV is handled

Thanks!
Old 16th May 2013, 16:29   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
1) Since the car has done only 1000 kms till date, is it okay to drive it all the way to Pune? I plan on *not* exceeding 120 kmph all the way.
I took delivery of my car on a Friday in Chennai and drove it to Hyderabad (where I was working then) on the Sunday. In between the car was driven only from the showroom to my home, and then from my home to a local temple and back. 6 years later, the car is still with me in perfect working condition.

Quote:
2) Shifting the TV in the car, is that a good option?
I see you are a bit attached to your TV. I gave mine (2 x LCDs) to the P&M firm (Leo) who wrapped them in bubble wrap and then in cardboard and transported in their truck from Mumbai to Bangalore. No issues. They are quite good at this, plus I had taken insurance too.

Quote:
3) Are the diversions and speed breakers on the road likely to cause any impact to the TV? I have the original box and stuff retained that I will use to pack the LED before the journey.
When you say original stuff, do you mean the thermocol pieces are fully intact? Then please use them for their shock absorbing property. If the thermocol pieces are broken or otherwise unusable, get bubble wrap and/or bean bag beans (this last might be expensive).

Quote:
5) Starting from Bangalore at 5am and reaching Pune by 7 or 8 pm, are these realistic timings, considering 3 breaks in between, lasting 30 mins each?
The city edge to city edge distance is about 850km, which I think you'll be able to do in 10-11 hours (inclusive of normal breaks). Getting out of Bangalore should not be a problem, so the unknowns are (a) getting into Pune at the other end, and (b) tolls and diversions on the route. Some of the MH tollbooths can be very time consuming. I think your time estimates are not unreasonable.
Old 16th May 2013, 16:53   #1338
BHPian

Thanks Binand for taking your time to respond to my queries.

Yes, I have the original factory stuff retained, including the Thermocol in one piece.

My apprehensions regarding the P&M are mainly due to the scenario where they transport multiple people's stuff in one container. I am not sure if any of the P&M's can assure me that only my goods will be transported in one trip.

can you please confirm if the following is the URL for Leo's services you used in the past?

http://www.leopackersindia.com/contacts.htm
Old 16th May 2013, 18:18   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can you please confirm if the following is the URL for Leo's services you used in the past?

http://www.leopackersindia.com/contacts.htm
Yes, that is the one. This is not the one: http://www.leopackersandmovers.com/contactus.html

This is also not the one: http://www.leoindiarelocations.com/

I believe their success has spawned several copycats. I have dealt with Mr. Vasudevan in Hyderabad and Mr. Himanshu in Mumbai (my relocations have been Hyd-Bom and Bom-Blr) and both times had the best and most professional treatment.

Now we are really OT, so please follow-up over PM.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:42   #1340
BHPian

Hi All,
Will be driving from Bangalore to Mumbai tomorrow. Does anyone have an update on the road conditions?
Old 28th May 2013, 11:55   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsnavy View Post
Hi All,
Will be driving from Bangalore to Mumbai tomorrow. Does anyone have an update on the road conditions?
No problems whatsoever.Just some diversions till Chitradurga(nothing that should slow you down terribly) and then dense traffic between Kolhapur and Khed Toll gate.Overall budget for a 12-14hr drive.Plenty of options to eat as mentioned in earlier posts
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 12:36   #1342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
The Diversions which were earlier 19 between Tumkur and Chitradurga have dropped to less than 10 (may be 6-7 only)when I last drove just a week before.

Apart from that, there are diversions between Dharwad and Belgaum and their numbers have increased but it wont drastically slow your pace.

The bridge work for 6 lane work in Maharashtra is happening at a snails pace and this ensures the diversions still remain ever since they came into existence.

Like Ranjit mentions, budget time soon after you enter Maharashtra for 4 tolls (Kini, Taswade, Anewadi, Khedshivpur), diversions between Satara and Pune, Diversions on the Pune bypass.

Be sure to maintain speeds of 80kmph on the Expressway to avoid getting challaned or caught by the camera though vigilance is more on weekends.

EDIT: At the very first toll once you enter MH, you can pay 124 (62+62) upfront for both the tolls (Kini and Taswade) though in reality this will in no way save any time for you apart from the fact that you avoid looking for change and pay the booth fella and just hand him over the receipt to scan and open that barricade.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th May 2013 at 12:39.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:33   #1343
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit and Parag for the useful info. Will update once I am back with the latest situation.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:43   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
The Bangalore -Mumbai NH4 highway is in good condition and you will enjoy the drive. My two bits would be to be extra cautious on the Hubli - Dharwad stretch.

You will be there in about 400 kms or so from Bangalore That is the only 30 km stretch in the entire 1080 odd kms trip which has two way traffic. The rest 1050 is 4 lane highway. I have seen some really dangerous overtaking maneuvers here. Attaching some pics for reference.

Mc Donald's in Kholapur is your best bet after you enter Maharashtra. They have clean toilets and a Cafe coffee day adjacent to it.

Another spot I would like to caution you about is the Satara tunnel. There is an immediate left turn just as you come out of the tunnel. To make things worse, the road on the turn has some red paint or colour of some sort which makes it look wet or bloody.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-image1751064435.jpg

Deepak is the CCD outlet manager in Kholapur. Next to Mc Donald's

Lastly, Suggest you to keep approx 750 on the dash handy for all the tolls. Have a safe journey and enjoy the drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-image17904184.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-image3745420787.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-image3815332061.jpg  

Old 4th June 2013, 14:57   #1345
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning a trip to Mumbai from Bangalore this Friday - couple of questions

1. Driving in a XUV 5OO run 2000kms. First service yet to be completed, is this ok?
2. Are there any checks that needs to be done on the car before I start ?
3. Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Chitradurga -> Hubli -> Belgaum -> Kolhapur -> Satara -> Pune-Mumbai is the planned route, most of the members have already written about this, is there anything that I need to specifically take care?
Old 4th June 2013, 15:42   #1346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWizard View Post
1. Driving in a XUV 5OO run 2000kms. First service yet to be completed, is this ok?
You may want to intimate the ASC on this in case the No of Kms after return is going to go beyond the service interval.
Quote:
2. Are there any checks that needs to be done on the car before I start ?
  • Ensure Proper Air pressure in all tires including the spare wheel.
  • Carry the essential tool kit as well as the Owner's manual along with Emergency contact number - Its better to have these Handy.
  • Since its almost monsoon, ensure to top up the windscreen wiper fluid and also carry a 2 liter bottle of Water mixed with Shampoo to top it up later on after regular usage in case the level dips.
  • Carry enough news papers and a Dry cloth along with you to ensure cleaner windscreen which will get dirty in case of regular driving in rains.
Quote:
3. Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Chitradurga -> Hubli -> Belgaum -> Kolhapur -> Satara -> Pune-Mumbai is the planned route, most of the members have already written about this, is there anything that I need to specifically take care?
  • Try to leave as early and hit Tumkur road around 5am. You will munch a good number of Kilometers in the first 4 hours itself without having to speed.
    Depending on your tank's range (450-500kms), you can refill around 4 kms after Dharwad bypass at BPCL COCO outlet.
  • Be sure not to speed on Mumbai-Pune expressway (Especially weekends) as cops are regularly checking for over-speeding. If required, take a small break at the food court (and refill Diesel too) and continue.
Overall, drive safe and I'm sure it will be one memorable trip you would want to do it again.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th June 2013 at 15:43.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 08:31   #1347
Distinguished - BHPian

Junta,
A friend is planning to do a Bangalore - Pune trip (and back) in the coming weeks. Any update on the road condition, now that the rains have arrived for all the states on this highway?
Do mention if there any specific sections of the route that need to be kept in consideration.
Old 18th June 2013, 09:38   #1348
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
you can refill around 4 kms after Dharwad bypass at BPCL COCO outlet.
I miss this BPCL COCOO during my drives. Is it located on the RHS of NH 4 while driving from Bangalore towards Pune?

Old 18th June 2013, 11:21   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I miss this BPCL COCOO during my drives. Is it located on the RHS of NH 4 while driving from Bangalore towards Pune?
There are 2 BPCL COCOs Ravi sir. Both facing each other with typical long BP post visible from far away.

The one towards Pune now falls on the diversion due to 6 lane bridge work in progress and is also attached to Ghar Rajasthani Dhaba. You will also spot many TATA Starbuses parked in this outlet due to the presence of the factory nearby.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:15   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Junta,
A friend is planning to do a Bangalore - Pune trip (and back) in the coming weeks. Any update on the road condition, now that the rains have arrived for all the states on this highway?
Do mention if there any specific sections of the route that need to be kept in consideration.
Bangalore-Tumkur -> Good

Tumkur - Chitradurga -> Most of the work on Bridges are complete but there are still at least 10 diversions onto service lanes between these 2 towns. Road conditions are all good and sections wherever 6 lane work is complete is excellent.

Chitradurga-Davanagere-Harihar-Haveri-Ranebennur-Shiggaon-Hubli ->
Good roads. The Harihar Bypass though dual carriageway must be driven with caution (Pune bound) as loads of morons will pounce on the other lane (proceeding towards Bangalore) to avoid the detour by taking the designated route which deviates partially into Harihar town.

Hubli-Dharwad bypass is 30 kms of Single carriageway road. Exercise caution for obvious reasons.

Dharwad Exit-Belgaum -> 6 lane work in progress with couple of diversions. Overall nothing to worry.

Belgaum - Kolhapur -> Super good roads

Kolhapur-Satara-> Good roads with increasing traffic although recent rains may have resulted in deterioration which is usually nothing great to bother about.

Satara-Pune-> 6 Lane work in progress at Snail's pace. Diversions are marked badly and the service lanes where traffic gets diverted is not generally in good shape.

Best time to start: As I always say, start by 5am max from Bangalore and on a Weekday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks