Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 12:21   #121
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Pune this weekend. I am relatively new driver and I drive a Swift Vxi. This time I will be travelling alone. I am frequent traveler on NH 4 but by bus and never driven on this route.
Couple of journey's from Bangalore to Mysore and back in same day is my only experience of highway driving. Any Dos and Don'ts for a first time solo driver like me especially considering I am travelling all alone?
As recommended I am planning to start early morning from Bangalore and take Dobbspet route till Tumkur (I stay in CV Raman Nagar). What would be possible fuel stops and lunch stops on route ? Do I need to take special precaution of anything ?
Old 25th November 2008, 14:36   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
As recommended I am planning to start early morning from Bangalore and take Dobbspet route till Tumkur (I stay in CV Raman Nagar). What would be possible fuel stops and lunch stops on route ? Do I need to take special precaution of anything ?
Start at 3AM.
4:30AM : Tumkur (Dont forget to take the immediate right turn once u deviate from GQ and then left, otherwise you will reach NH206 in the darkness)
8:30AM: Breakfast at Vittal Kamat (between Haveri - Hubli)

You can target a late lunch at Satara, you should be in Pune by 5PM with normal driving.

Abhi
Old 25th November 2008, 14:47   #123
BANNED

Limpid, I would recommend taking the ORR until Peenya since this is new to you. Tank up and check tyre pressure (with spare) the previous evening. Since this is your first time and solo, the only advice I would give you is: when in doubt, slow down & when tired, stop & take a nap / stroll. Do not offer lifts to anybody. Take all original car documents but show only photocopies if required. Tank up when the fuel gauge shows half.

Plan for a 5-10 minute break every 2 hours. Don't push yourself or the car.

Try & start early - before 6 am would be good - you can be in Pune by sunset. Enjoy the drive.
Old 25th November 2008, 17:12   #124
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, I am also looking for a good road map for journey. I've tried printing maps from mapmyindia.com but site is very slow. Do you recommend any good road maps ?
Old 25th November 2008, 18:35   #125
BHPian

road map

A good buy would be EICHER INDIA ROAD ATLAS published by Eicher Good earth Pvt. Ltd. in strategic alliance with Survey of India.

Priced at Rs. 370.00 - book form which can be kept in the glove compartment - has detailed maps with distances mentioned on major roads/ highways, a large route planner map, 22 city maps, 14 heritage site maps and a distance chart.

An asset indeed.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:24   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
Thanks for the reply, I am also looking for a good road map for journey. I've tried printing maps from mapmyindia.com but site is very slow. Do you recommend any good road maps ?
hey Limpid what maps are you looking for once you hit the NH4 its one road all the way to Pune; you can check maps.live.com incase you are looking for any thing in particular.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

As Hurrycane12 suggested you can try maps.live.com and also mapmyindia as you suggested is a good source. I used the same when I went on my first trip, but honestly you would not need a map on this stretch as the signboards are pretty prominent on this GQ sector and you will not be lost for sure.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:37   #128
BHPian

Dont worry too much about maps in NH4

Hi Limpid,

If you start by 4:30 AM, you can be there at Pune by 5:00 PM with normal driving. You dont have to worry too much about maps in NH4. Once you hit NH4, it is one way all through and nice signboards. It is very hard to loose track. But keep a ready reckoner of intermediate places just for cross verification once in a while.

Be careful near Davengere, Ranibennur where the roads are not that great.

Keep change in plenty. The toll plazas charge 47 Rs, and if you give 50 rupees, you end up with three chocolates as change. I ended up with more than 2o chocolates. Keep plenty of two rupee coins.

Enjoy the drive. I did this stretcth alone, both ways a month back and it was bliss. Anyday, given a chance will do this trip again, ALONE!!!

Nainar
Old 28th November 2008, 08:59   #129
BHPian

I am all set to start my journey tomorrow at around 3:30 AM. I will tank up in Bangalore. Any suggestions for likely fuel stops en route? Do petrol pumps on highways accept cards? Or I should have enough cash for fuel also?
Any recommendations for good places for breakfast and lunch on NH4 ? Thanks all for your support.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:33   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hi Buddy Limpid ! Have a safe journey and there are ample fuel pumps all across and I suggest you carry cash as many pumps in between will not accept cards.Around five grand as a safe bet should be fine and you can stop @ Davangere for breakfast and lunch you can have in Belgaum. Not quite sure about the names of places where you can have your breakfast and lunch but you can find decent ones all through.

BTW Hari "Lukeskywalker" was also planning to go to Shirdi enroute to Pune and maybe you can have company, so just PM Hari and check with him. Again, have a safe journey and do carry some scattered change for the tolls all across.
Old 28th November 2008, 13:26   #131
BHPian

Agree with VJ_Mavrick; cash is a must as I have not come across any one accepting cards. Do note most petrol bunks only sell Speed or Xtra mile petrol so thats good in a way.

Incase you are planning to leave very early morning in the morning then Breakfast can be at Vitthal Kamat and lunch at Satara as suggested by Akroy.
Old 29th November 2008, 17:43   #132
BHPian

I could not take this drive as planned in early Nov and took a flight instead as I had to be in Mumbai in a hurry. I am planning to do this time albeit with a break in Dharwad. Will leave Bangalore (Residency Rd) @ 1pm after lunch on Friday and drive to Dharwad. I am planning to take the Yelahanka-Dobbspet route as suggested to avoid some of the Peenya traffic. Will stay over at a cousins place in Dharwad for the night.

Will I make it to Dharwad by 8-8:30pm? I dont like driving at night too as I cant handle the high beams and the Hubli-Dharwad road is single lane road. Should I start earlier?

I plan to leave Dharwad next day at 6:30am and try to make it to Mumbai (Bandra) for lunch.

Thanks everybody for the execellent road info, updates and great tips! Hoping to post my experience after I reach Mumbai.
Old 29th November 2008, 19:29   #133
BHPian

This is simple common sense advice but even like me who have over 300,000 km driving experience tend to forget the basics. Thanks for reminding me of them once again.
RGDs
Suneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Limpid, I would recommend taking the ORR until Peenya since this is new to you. Tank up and check tyre pressure (with spare) the previous evening. Since this is your first time and solo, the only advice I would give you is: when in doubt, slow down & when tired, stop & take a nap / stroll. Do not offer lifts to anybody. Take all original car documents but show only photocopies if required. Tank up when the fuel gauge shows half.

Plan for a 5-10 minute break every 2 hours. Don't push yourself or the car.

Try & start early - before 6 am would be good - you can be in Pune by sunset. Enjoy the drive.
Old 1st December 2008, 20:44   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
I could not take this drive as planned in early Nov and took a flight instead as I had to be in Mumbai in a hurry. I am planning to do this time albeit with a break in Dharwad. Will leave Bangalore (Residency Rd) @ 1pm after lunch on Friday and drive to Dharwad. I am planning to take the Yelahanka-Dobbspet route as suggested to avoid some of the Peenya traffic. Will stay over at a cousins place in Dharwad for the night.

Will I make it to Dharwad by 8-8:30pm? I dont like driving at night too as I cant handle the high beams and the Hubli-Dharwad road is single lane road. Should I start earlier?

I plan to leave Dharwad next day at 6:30am and try to make it to Mumbai (Bandra) for lunch.

Thanks everybody for the execellent road info, updates and great tips! Hoping to post my experience after I reach Mumbai.
Litesaber, at 1pm from Residency road you can take Majestic-Magadi Road-NICE road-Nelmangala. This route would take atleast 2hrs to reach Tumkur. I am not sure about the Dobbaspet route at 1pm. I doubt whether you can make it by 8:30PM to Dharwad, my guess around minimum 8-8.5hrs journey with 2 small stops. The faster you get out out of Blore, the lesser the journey time. You can expect good amount of traffic till Tumkur and once after you cross Tumkur you will have a pleasant drive except Chitradurga bypass.
Hubli-Dharwad old NH4 is not single but double lane road without any median. As always this road is very good & quite tempting to drive after it gets dark because there is no speed limitation (40kmph in day time) during that time & thats how it gets dangerous and scary. Expect lot of buses (mostly private) bound to Blore after 9PM on this route. Nothing to worry about the high beams just be careful, slow down if the opposite vehicle doesnt respond to your hi/lo switch indication. This 20km if driven carefully will take 35 minutes during night.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:56   #135
BHPian

Thanks Girish. I have never taken Magadi Road. I should be taking Kempe Gowda Rd, City Railway station then a left to an underpass to Magadi Rd. Can you elaborate a little?

Where does Magadi Rd meet with the Nice Rd? I could not track it in wikemapia.

Can somebody comment on my earlier planned route to Dobbspet? I've been on the Dodabellapur road many time but only on Sundays and its been clear always.

Most Viewed