Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 12:20   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Break for Lunch at Davanagere which would be around 250 KMs from Belgaum @ Genysys. Let me know if this hotel comes before Belgaum or after.

On my return to Pune I might start from Mysore instead of Bangalore, and for this can you please let me know the road condition until Chitradurga.. ?
It’s the same route after Chitradurga I guess.
Genysys is actually before Davanagere on the Left hand side just after crossing Harihar bypass. You wont miss this for sure.

The road condition isn't great (wont call it bad now) AFTER Chitraduraga. Actually, It is after Davanagere till Haveri (Bankapura) that the road isn't great but doable with caution and sedate speeds.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:33   #497
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On my return to Pune I might start from Mysore instead of Bangalore, and for this can you please let me know the road condition until Chitradurga.. ?
It’s the same route after Chitradurga I guess.
From Mysore the road to Bengaluru is excellent. You hit the Nice road and go towards Tumkur. Never enter Bengaluru. Get off Nice road at Nelamangala.

Not sure about the other road that goes through Mandya, Kunigal.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:47   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
From Mysore the road to Bengaluru is excellent. You hit the Nice road and go towards Tumkur. Never enter Bengaluru. Get off Nice road at Nelamangala.

Not sure about the other road that goes through Mandya, Kunigal.
MS, I dont want to go back to Bangalore again, Is this possbile. Anyone who have done this please put your suggestions. Thanks

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-mychi.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Genysys is actually before Davanagere on the Left hand side just after crossing Harihar bypass. You wont miss this for sure.
Thank you
Old 13th April 2010, 14:53   #499
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MS, I dont want to go back to Bangalore again, Is this possbile. Anyone who have done this please put your suggestions. Thanks

Thank you
There's a more scenic route. Longer though.
Mysore to Chickmagalur is in excellent condition. 100 all the way.
You can move from chickmagalur to Bhadravati to Chitradurga (don't know condition of NH13 from Bhadravati to Chitradurga now), or move to shimoga and go to Hubli via yellapura. That's a good road as well.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:08   #500
BHPian

Quote:
There's a more scenic route. Longer though.
Mysore to Chickmagalur is in excellent condition. 100 all the way.
You can move from chickmagalur to Bhadravati to Chitradurga (don't know condition of NH13 from Bhadravati to Chitradurga now), or move to shimoga and go to Hubli via yellapura. That's a good road as well.
MS, I think this the route you're taking about.

This is 100 Kms more than the other routes, I am planning to start from Mysore to reach Pune (day travel - while return) without night halt on the same day. I understand that the route/road is very scenic... but adding 100 Kms more will be hectic as I have to drive about 820 Kms (Solo driver) from Mysore to Pune.

Last edited by ranjith.rajaram : 13th April 2010 at 15:09. Reason: Not able to see attachment
Old 13th April 2010, 15:10   #501
BHPian

Forgot to attach the route map

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-mychi111.jpg
Old 13th April 2010, 16:42   #502
Team-BHP Support

The distances via Shimoga (Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Sirsi/Yellapur/Hubli) is nearly same (~550) as via BLR (Mysore/Banaglore/Hubli).
Old 13th April 2010, 17:13   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The distances via Shimoga (Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Sirsi/Yellapur/Hubli) is nearly same (~550) as via BLR (Mysore/Banaglore/Hubli).
Hi ampere,

Thanks for the update I see that

1) Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Sirsi/Yellapur/Hubli takes 538 Kms and
2) Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Ranenennur/Hubli takes 468 Kms.

I find the difference is 80 Kms on both the routes just want to know if option 2) is possible and let me know if the road conditions are good.

Also let me know the roads between Shimoga - Ranenennur ?
Old 13th April 2010, 17:18   #504
Team-BHP Support

I have not driven on the Shimoga-Ranibennur stretch. Hence cannot say.
HVK should be able to tell you. But I remember MX saying Ranibennur has major NH4 4L work going on.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:27   #505
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I didn't get the 550. Are you talking of distance from mysore to hubli alone?

Anyway Ranjith. You will have a tough time from Mysore to Pune if you think 100 kms extra is long. The shortest distance works out more than 850 kms. So condition your mind on a long drive from mysore to pune which would easily span 14 hours. Start in Mysore by 5 am to reach home by 7 pm.

And regarding older post about volvo buses from pune to bangalore, let me clarify. The volvo you'd meet would be the one's that come in opposite direction in to pune from various places (goa / bangalore/ mangalore) and you wouldn't like to meet them head on the Katraj Ghat. Hence I said leave at 4.
Most of the volvo's stop at Natraj for morning tea.
Volvos on the NH4 is not an issue at all. They give way and keep to their lane mostly. They go crazy over the ghat section near Katraj when they come in to Pune. It's the urge to go home I guess!
Old 13th April 2010, 17:34   #506
Team-BHP Support

Yes I meant up to Hubli.

Just to illustrate the fact that even if he tries the other route, it will take the same distance. This was discounting the shortcut through to Ranibennur.

Ranjit, yes 100Km should not bear too much if roads are good. If thats a distance which bothers you, as MX mentioned, you should condition yourself.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:35   #507
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ampere,

Thanks for the update I see that

1) Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Sirsi/Yellapur/Hubli takes 538 Kms and
2) Mysore/Hassan/Shimoga/Ranenennur/Hubli takes 468 Kms.

I find the difference is 80 Kms on both the routes just want to know if option 2) is possible and let me know if the road conditions are good.

Also let me know the roads between Shimoga - Ranenennur ?
Route 1. It's a belter all the way. You can cover that in 6 - 7 hours.
Route 2. It's good till shimoga. Shimoga to ranebennur was ok No idea about current conditions. Ranebennur to hubli is a belter again.

If some one can vouch for shimoga to ranebennur, then take that route.
There's a route from shimoga to hubli direct. NEVER take that. I drove that route by mistake on 3rd Oct. Broke my front right axle. Wish I had the lunar rover to drive instead.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:49   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And regarding older post about volvo buses from pune to bangalore, let me clarify. The volvo you'd meet would be the one's that come in opposite direction in to pune from various places (goa / bangalore/ mangalore) and you wouldn't like to meet them head on the Katraj Ghat. Hence I said leave at 4.
Most of the volvo's stop at Natraj for morning tea.
Volvos on the NH4 is not an issue at all. They give way and keep to their lane mostly. They go crazy over the ghat section near Katraj when they come in to Pune. It's the urge to go home I guess!
Mx6,

In that case can't one avoid the Katraj Ghat which is 2 lane with no medians and take the new 4 Katraj tunnel/Ghat by taking the right on Satara Road before the Katraj bus Terminus and join the New bypass ? I don't think this distance is going to be much to bother in the morning and also it would depend on which part of Pune Ranjith resides and he can take the Pune Bypass directly and continue through the New Katraj tunnel (ghat) peacefully?

Even Volvos prefer this, especially on the way to Bangalore if Satara road is clogged with traffic (usual case in the evenings). Yes, they do stop at Natraj Hotel to give the owner a business at 5 in the morning when no passenger is really bothered to even get down from the bus and is counting down time to reach Pune/Mumbai.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th April 2010 at 17:50.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:52   #509
BHPian

MS / Amphere

Instead of gambling on these routes, should I go to Sira from Mysore and then continue via Chitradurga, Davanagere, Belgaum, Kolhapur and Pune. Which comes 50 - 60 Kms more that the actual distance between Pune - Bangalore. I feel this would be better as we have longer stretch of NH than travelling in SH.

Let me know your comments.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:59   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mx6,

In that case can't one avoid the Katraj Ghat which is 2 lane with no medians and take the new 4 Katraj tunnel/Ghat by taking the right on Satara Road before the Katraj bus Terminus and join the New bypass ? I don't think this distance is going to be much to bother in the morning and also it would depend on which part of Pune Ranjith resides and he can take the Pune Bypass directly and continue through the New Katraj tunnel (ghat) peacefully?

Even Volvos prefer this, especially on the way to Bangalore if Satara road is clogged with traffic (usual case in the evenings). Yes, they do stop at Natraj Hotel to give the owner a business at 5 in the morning when no passenger is really bothered to even get down from the bus and is counting down time to reach Pune/Mumbai.
Even I plan to take the new Katraj tunnel, which would be more peaceful for driving during the early morning hours. paragsachania - I stay in Viman Nagar.

The last past is very true I have traveled so many times in KSRTC volvo and all the times these guys have never forget to stop in Natraj during early hours. This would be the most irritating part as by the time he takes that break we could have reached Pune itself.

Most Viewed