Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 14:59   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
This surely is great news. So, from 15th onwards, people from Central Bangalore can go to Mekhri Circle - Yeshwantpur flyover and then onward to Tumkur right? I keep using NICE road, dreading the traffic in Peenya, or is it that I pay Rs.83 for NICE Road and another Rs 20-30 for using the new road?

Nainar
Nainar,am sure that you will have to pay whatever toll for using the new bridges after/before NICE towards Pune/Bangalore as this will be part of NHAI while NICE is a separate consortium.

My workplace is in Electronics City and at times to beat the traffic, I have been using NICE till Bannerghatta Rd from Tumkur road since a long time now. I get onto Tumkur Road at the Jalahalli Cross (Aiyappa Temple Arch) after which there is just one signal towards Pune (erstwhile Reliance office/8th Mile as they call it) where I might have to wait for 2 minutes if its Red.

Way back too (while returning from Belur/Pune) I have been taking the Nelemangala stretch and since the past 3 months I can say that things have surely improved and thanks to opening up of the service lanes and the bridges part by part. Initially, the 8th Mile signal and the Jalahalli Cross were a mess but now 3+2 lanes are open in both directions at these signals thus reducing the waiting time at the signals and less congestion.

Further ahead as well, there is no bottleneck (even if in future one opts to take the road below the bridge after Peenya/Jalahalli Cross signal as the Goreguntepalya signal (where the ORR starts) isnt that messy now since most of the heavy vehicles have been forced to take the NICE road since almost 6+ months now.

After this its the Yeshwantpur Flyover which is a breeze and then the actual city traffic starts from Mathikere Signal,IISc, Sadashivanagar Police Station and Mekhri Circle but nevertheless no heavy traffic then but the typical traffic on which BHPians are ranting since ages now .

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th August 2010 at 15:02.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:20   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Nainar,am sure that you will have to pay whatever toll for using the new bridges after/before NICE towards Pune/Bangalore as this will be part of NHAI while NICE is a separate consortium.

After this its the Yeshwantpur Flyover which is a breeze and then the actual city traffic starts from Mathikere Signal,IISc, Sadashivanagar Police Station and Mekhri Circle but nevertheless no heavy traffic then but the typical traffic on which BHPians are ranting since ages now .
That is understood Parag. Will the opening of this road make it feasible for people from central bangalore to reach Tumkur road without much difficulty? If I start at 6:00 in the morning from Koramangala, I can zip through the city roads to reach Yeswantpur in less than 30 minutes and if this road takes another 20 minutes to reach Nelamangala - Tumkur toll gate, it will be wonderful. Would have saved 30-40 minutes and Rs.83 as toll to NICE Consortium whose only motto seem to rob Bangaloreans legally.

Nainar
Old 12th August 2010, 17:40   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is understood Parag. Will the opening of this road make it feasible for people from central bangalore to reach Tumkur road without much difficulty? If I start at 6:00 in the morning from Koramangala, I can zip through the city roads to reach Yeswantpur in less than 30 minutes and if this road takes another 20 minutes to reach Nelamangala - Tumkur toll gate, it will be wonderful. Would have saved 30-40 minutes and Rs.83 as toll to NICE Consortium whose only motto seem to rob Bangaloreans legally.

Nainar
Sorry to get it wrong initially. To answer your question, its a Yes if you opt for the bridge as it will take you from Yeshwantpur (Goreguntepalya) onwards all the way till Nelemangala (Tumkur Toll) in less than 20 minutes.

I could reach Jalahalli cross (even after not taking the flyover before NICE in under 15 minutes easily) but my biggest fear would be when the toll starts. Though I can't recall, I could easily see 2-3 toll booths set up and assuming the wait time at each booth to be 5 minutes, it is surely going to take 15 minutes easily. As you also know, mostly NICE onwards its truck traffic and I cant imagine them paying the toll and zipping off without a noise. If only proper lanes are dedicated for heavy and light vehicles (and followed), one can expect better timings.

By the way, when you mention Rs 83 for NICE, does that mean that you take NICE from Bannerghatta Road till Tumkur Road when coming from Koramangala?

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th August 2010 at 17:42.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:34   #634
BHPian

Quote:
If I start at 6:00 in the morning from Koramangala, I can zip through the city roads to reach Yeswantpur in less than 30 minutes and if this road takes another 20 minutes to reach Nelamangala - Tumkur toll gate, it will be wonderful. Would have saved 30-40 minutes and Rs.83
Yes and only if its before 7am / after 11 pm. Reason - The metro station being built in front of Y'pur railway station is again a bottle neck during regular traffic hours. If one diverts towards Hebbal at goraguntepalya, the railway crossing before MES road is a mess. The new tollway to nelamangala is too early to be enjoyed.

Quote:
its a Yes if you opt for the bridge as it will take you from Yeshwantpur (Goreguntepalya) onwards all the way till Nelemangala (Tumkur Toll) in less than 20 minutes.

I could reach Jalahalli cross (even after not taking the flyover before NICE in under 15 minutes easily) but my biggest fear would be when the toll starts. If only proper lanes are dedicated for heavy and light vehicles (and followed), one can expect better timings.
The NICE road is a boon to Tamil Nadu / Maharashtra bound trucks to byepass Bangalore.

I doubt if trucks would be allowed to enter Bangalore on the new tollway. The ORR north stretch flyover projects ( Nagawara and Kalyan nagar ) may worsen the traffic situation if these trucks are allowed into Bangalore.

Local ( BMTC ) and overnight buses would not take the tollway flyover at Widia / kennametal as they have to alight / deboard passengers at 8th mile, Jalahalli cross.

till the Yeshwantpur construction is complete, whom does the new tollway help ?
Old 12th August 2010, 22:21   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
I doubt if trucks would be allowed to enter Bangalore on the new tollway. The ORR north stretch flyover projects ( Nagawara and Kalyan nagar ) may worsen the traffic situation if these trucks are allowed into Bangalore.
The ORR is already a mess, the Banasvadi flyover onwards till one crosses the BEL corporate office signal (after manyata), total 4 traffic signals consume minimum 60 minutes during evening time and some where between 30-45 minutes during morning.

the authorities should seriously consider banning the heavy trucks coming into the city from morning 7 AM to night 9 AM atleast till all these consutruction work gets over.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 12th August 2010 at 22:22.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:57   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Try hotel Brindavan. Not sure about their dog policy though. Easy access to NH4. It would be way below your budget.

Surprisingly, it didn't rain that much in parts of Pune where I stay. Had you moved out of Pune bracing the rains, you might have seen clearer skies till Kolhapur I guess.
Mx6. Thanks. Where is Brindavan hotel? any tel numbers?

Prince, I drive a Dzire VDI @100 - 120 kmph steady.

Hope the opening of the flyovers on 15th doesn't effect my early morning departure from Bangy. Planning on Yeshwantpur neelamangala tumkur rd for a quick getaway.

Last edited by goandude : 13th August 2010 at 09:01. Reason: added text
Old 13th August 2010, 09:43   #637
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, when you mention Rs 83 for NICE, does that mean that you take NICE from Bannerghatta Road till Tumkur Road when coming from Koramangala?
Yes, I take the NICE road from Bannerghata as the Puttenahalli underpass work is making life a mess to enter through Kanakapura road. Else would prefer that. It is not that Rs.20 matters, but I hate the NICE consortium for their "Fleece at will legally" attitude. The Hubli-Dharwad Bypass is done by them as well, and for a 2 laned road they take a toll of Rs.31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Yes and only if its before 7am / after 11 pm. Reason - The metro station being built in front of Y'pur railway station is again a bottle neck during regular traffic hours. If one diverts towards Hebbal at goraguntepalya, the railway crossing before MES road is a mess. The new tollway to nelamangala is too early to be enjoyed.
I see your point. It has been a long time since I went that way. Next trip I have to try this route to understand it better, but if I can avoid NICE road, I will do it, even if it takes a little more time.

Nainar
Old 15th August 2010, 12:04   #638
BHPian

I did Mum-B'lore-Mum last week. Road conditions are great both ways inspite of the rains, except for some rough patch near Satara-Pune strech (very few).
I had to go to E-city in B'lore, while going to B'lore I was not abe to use the new flyovers, infact it was closed or they were not letting the vehicles pass through it, but while coming back to mumbai, after getting down to Tumkur road from Nice road, I noticed all the flyovers were opened and the travel time till Nelamangla toll was very quick.

Also the roads, where one has to get down the Nice road and rejoin it again has got far better, now its proper roads both ways.

Two weeks back it was not the case! (or was I taking a wrong route??).

Started at 8:30 P.M.(Tuesday) from Navi Mumbai and reached E-city at 1:30 P.M next day
Started at 11:15 (Friday) from E-city B'lore and reached Navi Mumbai at 4:00 A.M next day

Both ways took about 17 hours with about less than 3 hours of stop time.

Car was Ford Fusion (P) and was driving avg speed was 80-100 kms entire stretch, total petrol consumed was 112 liters for 2050 kms.

Overall the journey was great and uneventful unlike last time ;-).

Last edited by netarchie : 15th August 2010 at 12:05.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:30   #639
Senior - BHPian

netarchie any progress in the route between Chitradurga and Ranibennur.
Is the Ranibennur bypass complete.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:45   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
netarchie any progress in the route between Chitradurga and Ranibennur.
Is the Ranibennur bypass complete.
Ranibennur bypass has opened up almost a month back. The road conditions between chitradurga and Ranibennur also improved a lot, but for a few speed breakers before some village crossings.

Nainar
Old 16th August 2010, 12:50   #641
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore Mumbai yesterday, Independence day. (all trucks sporting the tricolor).

Started from CV raman nagar at 0545 and reached Colaba at 2145. total drive time 14:30, total break time 1:30, conditions between haveri and C'durga have improved but still lot of work to be done before it becomes hassle free. the speed breakers on this stretch are stupid.

holiday traffic around satara, kholapur and pune was quite a bit. expressway too was packed with traffic.

Experienced a bit of rain on the expressway which brought my speed down. total expressway time was thus 1:18. traveled with wife and dog and it was tiring towards the end but anyway better than stopping for the night en route.

Had a bit of a competitive driving with a 2nd gen Honda city between haveri and hubli and a black Dzire VDI between Satara and Pune. Only added to the fun quotient. no dangerous moves.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:54   #642
Senior - BHPian

This story appeared in Bangalore edition of Times of India

ROLLER-COASTER RIDE
19.5-km Expressway On Tumkur Road Gets Finishing Touches,Promises Smooth Run On NH-4

The much-awaited stretch of Tumkur Road on NH-4 will be open to commuters finally.The Rs 720-crore elevated expressway and access-controlled corridor are likely to be thrown open to vehicular traffic by August-end.

The stretch of 19.5 km,combining the newly constructed expressway and access-controlled road,will benefit an estimated 1.2 lakh commuters heading towards north Karnataka and further to Pune and Mumbai and other parts of North India every day.

The six-lane axis-control toll road leading to Nelamangala will provide commuters seamless connectivity along a four-lane main carriageway, three-lane service road and fourlane elevated expressway. The stretch, which was a nightmare to traverse, is expected to turn into a swift commute, NHAI officials said.Commuters can hope to reach Nelamangala from Bangalore in 15 minutes,compared to one hour at present.

The toll rates will be notified soon.A gazette notification on this will be announced from New Delhi, said an official.Would twowheelers be prohibited on the stretch That has not been decided as yet.We will decide in consultation with the police, he added.

Project cost: 720 crore |
Started: November 2007

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-pc0050700.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-pc0050800.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-pc0051000.jpg
Old 16th August 2010, 19:13   #643
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean no choking at Nelmangala again ? Then this is awesome news. Some relief to the pain. 2 wheeler traffic should take the downward route IMO. Kudos. Der aye durust aye.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:25   #644
Senior - BHPian

great news for people commuting by NH4 (like me). unfortunately access through Jalahali road will be under the elevated road, take a right and then climb the road.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:32   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Does this mean no choking at Nelmangala again ? Then this is awesome news. Some relief to the pain. 2 wheeler traffic should take the downward route IMO. Kudos. Der aye durust aye.
Yes it does. Now more chocking. Even for those taking the road below, they wont have to go through the jams caused at the commercial tax checkpost as a new place has been identified with adequate space to park trucks (as told to me by a cop from Nelemangala whom I had offered a ride last week)

Der aye durust aye - Couldn't have put it better as this was much needed for an entry point that was always chocked. This would put smiles on most of the faces including me who constantly do Belur and Pune witnessing the mess so far.

Actually, I was lucky last Tuesday evening when I took all the bridges from Nelamangala to reach Jalahalli cross under 12 mins!

I will never be irritated next time when I am returning from Pune after that 800+ kms of lone driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
great news for people commuting by NH4 (like me). unfortunately access through Jalahali road will be under the elevated road, take a right and then climb the road.
I have always been approaching NH4 from Jalahalli side as I stay in North Bangalore. Off late, I have been occasionally taking the NICE to Electronics City from home to beat peak traffic. Apart from the usual mess at this traffic Signal to take right, the only other signal towards Pune is the 8th Mile signal which is just one stop at any time further to which one can take the toll bridge anyways.

As the Road leading to Aiyappa temple had developed huge potholes causing jams all the time, today evening, I took a left on Hesarghatta Main Road from 8th Mile Signal and approached Jalahalli airforce station through Bagalagunte (Took right at the first signal on Hesarghatta Main road) and It saved me a lot of time!!

Also, towards Bangalore as well, even at peak hour traffic, I have been able to cross both these signals with just one stop, thanks to the timer that stays green for a longer duration now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th August 2010 at 19:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks