Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:23   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mumbai Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
1. Considering that I will be starting at 5 PM from Pune and will get stuck in the inter village traffic on NH4, what is a realistic time that I can expect to reach Kolhapur (sedate driving)?
If you hit Katraj bypass by 5PM, with sedate driving, trafffic density prevailing in the evening, gradually reducing visibility due to natural darkness, irritating and miscellanous traffic and the wait at the 4 toll booths (will be anything between 10-15 minutes), you can be in Kolhapur in 3 hours.
The same distance when done early mornings or late night is around 2h15m to 2h30m.
Satara-Kolhapur is less bumpy as its concretized when compared to Pune-Satara.
Quote:
2. Are there any good hotels that you can suggest for the stay over at Kolhapur (traveling with Family - wife, 1.5 yr kid, aged parents so it should be good, comfortable and clean)?
Generally, I do Pune-BLR in a single stretch and hence HVK and Fauji have listed the options for you.
Quote:
3. Or would you recommend that I continue till Belgaum and stay there?
It depends on how comfortable are you to continue for another 90kms after Kolhapur after driving through the dense MH traffic. If at all your family including you are comfortable, I would advise you to drive all the way till Belgaum and take a night halt there at Sankam as advised by HVK.
Usually there is traffic even after you pass Kolhapur town till Kagal (30 kms) due to MIDC employees riding back to their homes situated in villages in and around Kagal. But as you will be in Kolhapur at 8PM, this 30kms till Kagal is going to be devoid of much traffic during this time and after which it is a mere 60+ kms all the way till Belgaum and the road is the fastest stretch on NH4 and can be done with no pain.
Hence, if you can stretch, Staying in Belgaum is the most viable option.
Quote:
4. If I start from Kolhapur the next day morning - say around 7 AM, what time will I reach Bangalore (sanjay nagar / hebbal area and then onwards to Marathahalli)?
As Fauji said, ideally with sedate driving it should take around 8.5 to 9 hours from Kolhapur to hit North Bangalore areas. I have been doing this in my WagonR in about 8 hours to reach Vidyaranyapura (close to Sanjaynagar) with 45+10 minute breaks.

Again,What is your ultimate destination? If it is Marathalli, then follow this route:

1. After getting on to the new road at Nelemangala, drive all the way till you pay the toll (Rs 15) and then continue for another 500 meters staying left as you will spot a section of the road leading towards a 4 laned bridge ahead with regular road adjacent to it. DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATED BRIDGE and continue below it.

2.Within the next 2 Kms, you will hit a traffic signal (8th Mile signal as it is called). Continue straight from this signal and try getting into the service lane for which the entry is a little further ahead after this signal.

3. You will reach the second signal where you need to take a left towards Jalahalli.

4. Drive on this road following the traffic without any deviations for 4kms and take right at Gangamma Circle.

5.Another 2 kms on this road, you will hit BEL Circle where you take the free left and join the outer ring road.

6.Continue on the ring road passing Hebbal, Nagavara, Hennur, Banaswadi, KR Puram to reach Marathalli.

This is the most viable option to reach Marathalli avoiding the mess at Yeshwantpur (Goreguntepalya) and the Railway crossing on the outer ring road.

Another advice is to try targetting Jalahalli cross by 4PM so that you wont have to encounter peak traffic till you reach Marathalli since the outer ring road in the evenings is a mess due to ongoing construction activities.
Quote:
5. After starting off in the morning from Kolhapur, where can I fill up petrol?
More frequent options in MH as compared to KA. The situation in KA gets better only after Chitradurga till Bangalore.
Quote:
6. Do I have to go through any towns or are all by passes complete?
All done now, no more passing through any of the towns.
Quote:
7. I seem to remember reading about a couple of railway crossings near Ranebennur; any particular times to avoid (what time should I NOT start from Kolhapur)?
From my prediction that comes from starting at various timings form Pune, you are most likely (99.99%) going to pass these crossings with the gates open. Also, the road conditions at these gates is much better with newly laid layer of asphalt.
Quote:
8. I am not much aware about Bangalore but do remember that last time I traveled with a friend we had a miserable time at Nelamangala. What should I do to avoid getting stuck (any by pass / alternate routes etc)?
Nelemangala till Jalahalli cross should not take more than 30 minutes under any circumstances.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd June 2011 at 11:25.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:00   #827
BHPian

Majority of the NH4 stretch is now tolled, the roads are in excellent condition, some road work is on from Harihar onwards upto Haveri, from there on it is smooth drive, bypass Hubli city to Dharwad and proceed to Belguam. Belgaum to Poona stretch is good. The expressway between Poona to Mumbai is icing on the cake, the best road in India. There are plenty of petrol bunks and dhabbas enroute, no need to worry. GOODLUCK
Old 4th June 2011, 21:14   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Konduskar also sells petrol...and its the best place to fill before entering KA

Konduskar sells only SPEED petrol; price would be similar to normal petrol in KA.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier - There was an interceptor with speed gun 20 Kms before Tumkur. Over speeding Trucks and cars both were asked to stop. I got lucky this time. I am not sure if this is a regular phenomenon.
Limpid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 10:48   #829
Senior - BHPian

What is the current total toll charge from bangy (end of NICE road) till lonavla (khopoli exit)?

Is the pune-bombay express way a ONE toll affair or does it have staged tolls? If yes, how many toll gates are in between pune and lonavla?

And last but not least, any recent updates by any travellers on the road condition from bangy-pune, any new and unexpected developments? Progress?
Old 26th June 2011, 12:08   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Is the pune-bombay express way a ONE toll affair or does it have staged tolls? If yes, how many toll gates are in between pune and lonavla?
Its a staged affair,you could take a toll till Lonavla exit,I think it is priced around INR 99 -a recent increase and the entire Pune-Panvel is around INR 185.If you dont tell them its Lonavla they would give you the full fare ticket and even for the 99rs ticket,dont expect the INR 1 as balance unless you ask for it.Please do not accept chocolates in lieu of that 1Rs.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:10   #831
J.Ravi

Quote:
What is the current total toll charge from bangy (end of NICE road) till lonavla (khopoli exit)?
Although outdated now, here are the details of toll paid by me in November 2010 to give an idea of total toll between Bangalore and Mumbai:
  (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 09:45   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And last but not least, any recent updates by any travellers on the road condition from bangy-pune, any new and unexpected developments? Progress?
Toll charges between Bombay & Bangalore are as follows:

Vashi 30
Khalapur 165
Shivapur 65
Anewadi 45
Taswade 52
Kini 52
Kognoli 25
Hattargi 15
Bagewadi 65
Hubli-Dharwad 37
Bankapur 40
Guilali 45
Karjivanahalli 45
Tumkur 26
Nelamangala 15
NICE Road 100

Total 822

These rates are as per last weekend, when I travelled Bombay-Bangalore route.
You have to retain tickets to be shown at exit for BOmbay-Pune expressway, Hubli-Dharward bypass and Tumkur-Nelamangala sector.

Last edited by hvkumar : 27th June 2011 at 09:47.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:13   #833
BHPian

I wonder why the Hattargi toll is halved. Is it because Bagewadi toll is more than doubled?
Old 7th July 2011, 14:31   #834
BHPian

I am planning to go to Vellore very soon by road from Mumbai. Since you had recently gone down south, could please let me know the best road route please.

While I am aware that one has to take the GQ upto Neelmangala, I am not sure where to turn considering that (A) Neelamangala to Bangalore stretch seems to be completed and (B) an elevated Highway from Silk Road Junction to electronic city junction has been completed.

Could you please let me know at which point should I take the NICE road and where should I exit to take the NH7 / NH46. Thanks to all of you in advance

Since I last travelled in 2009, I notice that
Old 7th July 2011, 15:13   #835
BHPian

Again,What is your ultimate destination? If it is Marathalli, then follow this route:

1. After getting on to the new road at Nelemangala, drive all the way till you pay the toll (Rs 15) and then continue for another 500 meters staying left as you will spot a section of the road leading towards a 4 laned bridge ahead with regular road adjacent to it. DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATED BRIDGE and continue below it.

Where does the elevated bridge go up to?

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 7th July 2011 at 15:31. Reason: Typo errors
Old 7th July 2011, 16:19   #836
Senior - BHPian

When you are coming from Bombay on NH4, after crossing the Nelamangala flyover (where you see NH48 to Mangalore towards the right), the toll road begins (Toll Rs 15). Exactly 11 kms after the flyover, you will see clear signages where you take the left side ramp (straight goes on to Bangalore city Yeswantpur) - left ramp marked for Mysore/Hosur - and enter the NICE Road. The NICE Road is 42 kms long and has 2 toll gates where you will pay a total of RS 120. You can exit from NICE Road onto Magadi, Mysore, Kanakapura & Banergeta roads. The NICE Road merges into NH7 at Electronic City 10 kms south of Madivala locality of Bangalore city and then goes onto Hosur. You will see the elevated road coming from Madivala and ending 1 km after the NICE Road joins NH7.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 11:04   #837
BHPian

Thanks Kumar. I have preserved the logsheet you had meticulously prepared for our reference. I went through it again and have updated the same. Similarly have taken the fresh updates from NHAI site. With warm regards. Chandrasekhar

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 8th July 2011 at 11:06. Reason: for clarity
Old 8th July 2011, 13:06   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Toll charges between Bombay & Bangalore are as follows:

Vashi 30
Khalapur 165
Shivapur 65
Anewadi 45
Taswade 52
Kini 52
Kognoli 25
Hattargi 15
Bagewadi 65
Hubli-Dharwad 37
Bankapur 40
Guilali 45
Karjivanahalli 45
Tumkur 26
Nelamangala 15
NICE Road 100

Total 822

These rates are as per last weekend, when I travelled Bombay-Bangalore route.
You have to retain tickets to be shown at exit for BOmbay-Pune expressway, Hubli-Dharward bypass and Tumkur-Nelamangala sector.

Taswade & Kini tolls which were 52 have now become 58, the 2 chocolates that the toll attendents used to give, I tried giving it back, both refused

Tumkur from 26 is now 29, now this is where you collect one chocolate back.

(Tolls as on July 4th)

Last edited by kartikk : 8th July 2011 at 13:08.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:08   #839
BHPian

I am due for a Mumbai trip this weekend. This is the first time I am travelling by road from Bangalore to Mumbai. Going by the recent posts in this thread, the route seems to be all clear. Am I right? Are there any surprises (diversions) on NH4?

I plan to leave early morning 4/5 am. From what I read, Chitradurga for breakfast and Kolhapur for lunch are the ideal spots. Is this fine? Also what are good eating joints in these places?

Last edited by nileshch : 11th July 2011 at 09:12.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:26   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I am due for a Mumbai trip this weekend. This is the first time I am travelling by road from Bangalore to Mumbai. Going by the recent posts in this thread, the route seems to be all clear. Am I right? Are there any surprises (diversions) on NH4?

I plan to leave early morning 4/5 am. From what I read, Chitradurga for breakfast and Kolhapur for lunch are the ideal spots. Is this fine? Also what are good eating joints in these places?
Watch out for nasty humps after Ranebennur and the abrupt deviations near Haveri.

Ideally, you can have lunch at Sankam Residency at Belgaum (50 metres off NH4) or at McD on Kolhapur bypass. Further down, Sai Resort some 15-20 kms beyond Kolhapur is a good place too.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks