Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 14:28   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Need some quick suggestion. Planning to travel to Mumbai from Bangalore during the last week of this month. Jayanagar in Bangalore to Powai in Mumbai. I am assuming it would take around 14 hours including breaks.

So, planning to leave around 6am and reach by around 8pm. I would not mind stopping over to see a couple of places on the way spending say 2 hours extra.

Reaching by 11 PM would also not be a problem. I generally drive during night on known roads (Previously driven roads), considering that I am doing the Mumbai route the first time, aim is to avoid night driving as much as possible.

So, can you please suggest some quick stop over places that can be visited and are worth visiting en-route ? Also, places for having breakfast around 930 am, lunch around 130pm and a chai/snacks stop over around 6pm would be awesome Thanks in advance.
I would say Budget 15 hours in case you are leaving at 6:00 AM from Jayanagar.

Option 1: No sight seeing, drive straight to Mumbai:

6:00AM - Jayanagar
7:00AM - JAS Toll booth Nelamangala (Via City or NICE)
9:30AM - Chitradurga - Breakfast at Naveen Regency here

If you want to push a little further by 70 more kms, I would also suggest the following options:

10:15AM - Davanagare - Breakfast at Kamant attached to IOCL or even better, Davanagere Butter Dosas inside the city which is a mere 20 mins extra to enter and exit together.

Assuming that you opt for Chitradurga or Davanagere for Breakfast, you would cross Belgaum (~480 Kms from JAS, Nelamangala), around 1:30PM-2:00PM.

Ideally, you can have lunch at here at the following places:

Hotel Sankam Residency, Off NH4
Hotel Ramdev, Inside Belgaum City

Note:Reaching Sankam from the Highway takes less than 5 minutes and Ramdev another about 15 minutes.

In case you manage to do some very good average speeds and Belgaum seems too early for lunch, the next best option would be at the end of Tawandi Ghats before Nippani at a place called "Amar - Only Veg"

With a 6:00AM start, Kolhapur would be too late for lunch else you would have relished some typical Maharashtrain/Konkan delicacies at Hotel Opal.

In all probabilities, you would reach KhedShivpur Toll plaza around 5:30PM and this is certainly not a good time to then spend the next 45 kms till you enter the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Pune's Westerly bypass is not really a bypass today with peak hour evening traffic slowing you down and irritating you after that 830 kms drive since Morning.

Soon after you enter the Mumbai-Pune expressway, factor around 2 hours till you reach Vashi Bridge and then take either Vashi Bridge or Thane Belapur road to reach whatever destination you have planned to.

Option 2: Sight seeing, reach Mumbai late:

Chitradurga Fort ( ~230 from Jaynagar Inside Chitradurga Town)
Utsav Rock Garden ( ~ 375 Kms from Jayanagar, after Shiggaon on NH4)

Here's the URL for Utsav: https://www.facebook.com/UtsavRockGarden/photos_stream

Mahalakshmi Temple (Inside Kolhapur city)

My 2 cents:

If you are the lone driver with family, I would strongly suggest not spending time sight seeing since the journey itself will be 1000 kms.

In case you wish to drive straight to Mumbai, I will suggest an early start (4:30/5:00AM) from Jayanagar so that you cross Pune bypass by 4:00/4:30PM when traffic will be considerably thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Please tell me the road conditions and the traffic conditions on tumkur dabaspete doddaballapur devanahalli bengaluru airport route. I shall trying to reach BIAL on Tuesday late night from tumkur side. Is it a safe road in nights after 9 to 10 pm.

Thanks
Excellent road all the way and nothing to worry on driving this stretch between 9-10PM as there is considerable truck traffic at this time on this section.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 15:03   #1397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
10:15AM - Davanagare - Breakfast at Kamant attached to IOCL or even better, Davanagere Butter Dosas inside the city which is a mere 20 mins extra to enter and exit together.

Davanagere Kamat is closed. When I tried to stop last time, they said it closed down. Ranebennur is best the option.
It looked like a permanent close-down. Though I did not wait to ask for more details as I was in a hurry.

@kimified,

If you can advance your start time by 2 hours (4/4:30) Ranebennur Kamat is the best option. You would have crunched about 330km in about 4 hours before you halt.

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2013 at 15:04.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 17:42   #1398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Davanagere Kamat is closed. When I tried to stop last time, they said it closed down. Ranebennur is best the option.
It looked like a permanent close-down.
It always looked barren otherwise too. This is not a surprise.
I didn't suggest Ranebennur Kamat which is another 30 minutes from here due to 6am start that kimfield is looking at. Else its the perfect pit stop.
Also, I'm too of the opinion that he starts before 5AM for the same reason you mention. Nothing like a super earls start.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 19:26   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
I would say Budget 15 hours in case you are leaving at 6:00 AM from Jayanagar.

Option 1: No sight seeing, drive straight to Mumbai:

6:00AM - Jayanagar
7:00AM - JAS Toll booth Nelamangala (Via City or NICE)
9:30AM - Chitradurga - Breakfast at Naveen Regency here

Quote:
It looked like a permanent close-down. Though I did not wait to ask for more details as I was in a hurry.

@kimified,

If you can advance your start time by 2 hours (4/4:30) Ranebennur Kamat is the best option. You would have crunched about 330km in about 4 hours before you halt.
Quote:
It always looked barren otherwise too. This is not a surprise.
I didn't suggest Ranebennur Kamat which is another 30 minutes from here due to 6am start that kimfield is looking at. Else its the perfect pit stop.
Also, I'm too of the opinion that he starts before 5AM for the same reason you mention. Nothing like a super earls start.
Thanks a lot for all the details. Really appreciate it.

Ok then, I shall skip any sight seeing. Also, I shall leave as early as possible. 430 / 5. Leaving early would help later on to reach the KhedShivpur toll early to beat the traffic.

Ranebennur Kamat for Breakfast.

Sankam Residency at Belgaum for Lunch. If its too early, Amar as an alternative.
Google maps tells me that its 201 kms between Kamat and Sankam. I have driven extensively on the NH4 since I keep traveling to Chitradurga and Shimoga (My native place). I think it would take 2.5 hours given that there are no deviations due to road work. I guess it would be too early for lunch considering that I would be leaving early as well. I shall keep the Kohlapur option open as well. Its a 100 km more from Sankam.

Two more questions,

1. Say I leave around 430 in the morning. When I would I be entering the Pune-Mumbai expressway approximately? I have heard a lot about this road and it being among the best roads in India. Would be great if I could cover it in day light.

2. Please suggest a few more places to eat between Kolhapur and Mumbai. Just in case we get late, or feel a need for a break, we can use these alternatives.

Thanks a lot again. Cheers
Old 15th September 2013, 20:27   #1400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Google maps tells me that its 201 kms between Kamat and Sankam. I have driven extensively on the NH4 since I keep traveling to Chitradurga and Shimoga (My native place). I think it would take 2.5 hours given that there are no deviations due to road work. I guess it would be too early for lunch considering that I would be leaving early as well. I shall keep the Kohlapur option open as well. Its a 100 km more from Sankam.
Yes, in case you are able to manage better than usual average speeds, Belgaum (Sankam) will be too early. However, I feel Amar-Only Veg is still a better option considering the following reasons:
  • It would take approximately 1 hour for you to reach Amar after Belgaum
  • It would take at least 1H45M for you to reach the nearest option in Maharashtra (Mc Donalds on the left hand side, easily visible, Attached with a CCD also)

Quote:
1. Say I leave around 430 in the morning. When I would I be entering the Pune-Mumbai expressway approximately?
With a 4:30AM start from Jayanagar, with good speeds you will enter expressway between 4:30 - 5:00PM easily.

Quote:
I have heard a lot about this road and it being among the best roads in India. Would be great if I could cover it in day light.
Well, imagine a 6 lane concrete expressway between 2 Major cities with tunnels cutting across the Western ghats and making the whole drive completely stress free and cutting the travel time by 2 hours! All this more than 10 years back.

This is an excellent road with loads of hills dotted on both sides and post rains, you would enjoy the drive during the day. However, you need not drive in a way to target to cover this during the day. You can always take a spin on this some other time or may be during your return trip too.

Forget those bumpy sections on bridges and a few stretches, forget even those infamous accidents due to reckless driving here, forget all those morons hogging the fast lane at 55kmph hooked onto their cell phones, Drive safe and enjoy the expressway!

Quote:
2. Please suggest a few more places to eat between Kolhapur and Mumbai. Just in case we get late, or feel a need for a break, we can use these alternatives.
Between Kolhapur & Mumbai you have so many options that you need to worry about.

The very first would be Mc Donalds few kilometers after you enter the MSRDC Arch cutting across the road.

There are 2 Vittal Kamats, first one near Karad and second one before Khedshivpur. These are usually known to have cleaner rest rooms and good fast food (along with usual Thali options) in Vegetarian.

The Vittal Kamat near Karad has numerous signboards indicating the no of Kilometers where this is located. You won't miss this for sure.

The Second Vittal Kamat will be after Mahabaleshwar Fork, attached to HPCL and a SBI ATM as well.

There is also Sai International on the right hand side (median cut right in front of it) 30 kms after Kolhapur (& 30 before Karad). Make sure you are slower when you are almost 25 kms after Kolhapur so that you don't miss this place else the next U-Turn If I remember is almost 4 kms ahead.

On Pune bypass, soon after you cross Wakad Signal (the only signal light on NH4) you have multiple options on service lane for your evening snacks and you certainly won't miss this looking at all the parked cars here.

Once you enter the expressway you have the Food court before Lonavala (well marked) and even after the Second (exit) toll booth. There are COCO Fuel Stations for you to refill that hungry car here and well managed rest rooms.

Enjoy your drive and have fun!

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th September 2013 at 20:33.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:33   #1401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sankam Residency at Belgaum for Lunch. If its too early, Amar as an alternative.

If you start at 4:30, I can surely confirm, with even sedate speeds you would be at Kolhapur by 1:30. Belgaum would be too early for lunch.
4 hours for 300km for Ranebennur. Another 4 hours for the next 300 km for Kolhapur!

May be a late lunch at Sai. Its about 40km from Konduskar bunk (start of Kolhapur bypass)

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2013 at 20:36.
Old 15th September 2013, 23:17   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, in case you are able to manage better than usual average speeds, Belgaum (Sankam) will be too early. However, I feel Amar-Only Veg is still a better option considering the following reasons:
!
Quote:
If you start at 4:30, I can surely confirm, with even sedate speeds you would be at Kolhapur by 1:30. Belgaum would be too early for lunch.
4 hours for 300km for Ranebennur. Another 4 hours for the next 300 km for Kolhapur!

May be a late lunch at Sai. Its about 40km from Konduskar bunk (start of Kolhapur bypass)
Thanks a lot again guys. It would have taken me many hours of planning to get all that information that you have provided me with

I shall make sure I drive responsibly all through.

Will post road conditions and updated information (If any) once I do it. Cheers!
Old 16th September 2013, 00:34   #1403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Excellent road all the way and nothing to worry on driving this stretch between 9-10PM as there is considerable truck traffic at this time on this section.

Thanks for this Parag. I had no idea about 207 traffic at night. The road is excellent no doubt about that. I have always driven these stretches during day time.

@drivethru,

Only point to note: Do look for sign gauges to Devanahalli. at Doddaballapur If you are not careful, you may end up at Yelahanka!

Quote:
Will post road conditions and updated information (If any) once I do it. Cheers!
Another point to note. No need to take the NICE road. Drive through ORR all the way to Tumkur road. You will land up right at the start of elevated road. Its much much faster than NICE.
Early morning this works out much better.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2013 at 00:37.
Old 16th September 2013, 01:16   #1404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks a lot again. Cheers
Are you ok to stop overnight? If there are only 3 in the car then staying one night with sightseeing is an option.

Last year we drove to Lonavala and decided to break the trip since 1000kms was a lot to cover in a single day. We left post lunch by 2PM and stopped at Davangere for dosa around 7PM. Then drove till Belgaum and checked into Hotel Sankam by around 10PM. Light dinner at Sankam and straight to bed.

Next day breakfast at 7AM, refuel in the IOCL bunk next door and then straight to Lonavla. You can stop at Kolhapur or some sightseeing destinations that Parag recommended and you will be in Pune by 2-3PM or so.

This turns out to be more relaxed and for single driver is preferred. Ofcourse room charges get added to journey cost. Sankam was around Rs.1500 - 1800 for a pretty good room including breakfast.

Somehow leaving at 4:30am and then driving till night is not my idea of an enjoyable drive. It ends up being A to B commuting rather than enjoying the roads, music and the drive.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 01:53   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are you ok to stop overnight? If there are only 3 in the car then staying one night with sightseeing is an option.

Last year we drove to Lonavala and decided to break the trip since 1000kms was a lot to cover in a single day. We left post lunch by 2PM and stopped at Davangere for dosa around 7PM. Then drove till Belgaum and checked into Hotel Sankam by around 10PM. Light dinner at Sankam and straight to bed.
Hi Vid,

We are 2 of us. A friend of mine and me.

Agree with what you are saying. I am used to driving to Shimoga (actually to a temple 50kms after Shimoga) and back to Bangalore in one day. I do this every 6 months. I am generally very tired by the end of the day. The last stretch from Tumkur to Bangalore on the way back is a real pain when the fatigue starts to set in.

However, I think it depends a lot on the conditions of the roads and the type of road as well. When I do Shimoga, I go through Chitradurga even though its 30km longer since I can cover distances faster on the NH4 and leads to lesser fatigue. I have noticed that the fatigue sets in faster when I take the tried and tested Bangalore-Gubbi-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga route. Even if I take the Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga route, I attribute most of the fatigue to the drive between Chitradurga and Shimoga due to a lot more gear changes. (2 lane road with all kinds of traffic doesn't always help)

I still remember doing Bangalore-Davangere-Bangalore to attend a function there sometime last year. I had very less fatigue when I returned home. Yeah, Davangere is closer than Shimoga, but even then, I couldn't believe that I had covered 550 Kms with very minimal fatigue. All 4 lane NH4 drive.

I am assuming that most of Bangalore-Mumbai is 4 lane. I think it would get monotonous after a point, but, it would still not drain you out much. Let me try doing this in one go this time around. It would also be my record for covering the most distance in a day. Not that it matters, but, I have never done above 800 If I really get tired, I shall change it for the return journey. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 16th September 2013, 06:00   #1406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vid,

We are 2 of us. A friend of mine and me.

Agree with what you are saying. I am used to driving to Shimoga (actually to a temple 50kms after Shimoga) and back to Bangalore in one day. I do this every 6 months. I am generally very tired by the end of the day. The last stretch from Tumkur to Bangalore on the way back is a real pain when the fatigue starts to set in.

However, I think it depends a lot on the conditions of the roads and the type of road as well. When I do Shimoga, I go through Chitradurga even though its 30km longer since I can cover distances faster on the NH4 and leads to lesser fatigue. I have noticed that the fatigue sets in faster when I take the tried and tested Bangalore-Gubbi-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga route. Even if I take the Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga route, I attribute most of the fatigue to the drive between Chitradurga and Shimoga due to a lot more gear changes. (2 lane road with all kinds of traffic doesn't always help)

I still remember doing Bangalore-Davangere-Bangalore to attend a function there sometime last year. I had very less fatigue when I returned home. Yeah, Davangere is closer than Shimoga, but even then, I couldn't believe that I had covered 550 Kms with very minimal fatigue. All 4 lane NH4 drive.

I am assuming that most of Bangalore-Mumbai is 4 lane. I think it would get monotonous after a point, but, it would still not drain you out much. Let me try doing this in one go this time around. It would also be my record for covering the most distance in a day. Not that it matters, but, I have never done above 800 If I really get tired, I shall change it for the return journey. Thanks for the suggestion.
You can easily do this in single stretch if you have done long distances before.

Bangalore Nelemangala is 6 lane after NTBL.
Nelamangala Tumkur is 4 lane
Tumkur Chitradurga is 6 lane with almost 95% road expanded from earlier 4 lane
Chitradurga Hubli is 4 lane
Hubli bypass is 2 lane without a median for 30 kms
End of Bypass till Belgaum is undergoing 6 lane work with couple of diversions onto service lane
Belgaum MH Border near Kagal/Kognoli is a splendid 4 lane
MH border Kolhapur Satara is 4 lane with increased traffic
Satara Pune is undergoing 6 lane work with a few deviations too else is 4 lane
Pune bypass is undergoing 6 lane work with at least 5 or 6 diversions and beeline traffic at peak hours
Pune Mumbai expressway is 6 lane
Expressway end till Turbhe is 6-8 lane with horrible stretches around Nerul (cricket stadium) till Turbhe- This was the case in end of July when i drove and wondering if its got better now.

EDIT: Vikrant who'd posted a few pages back also did Mumbai Coimbatore with a stopover at Tumkur driving south and Hubli Driving north just last week and reported road conditions good all the way. Not sure about the roads after expressway in Mumbai though.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th September 2013 at 06:03.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:01   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
You can easily do this in single stretch if you have done long distances before.

Bangalore Nelemangala is 6 lane after NTBL.
Nelamangala Tumkur is 4 lane
Tumkur Chitradurga is 6 lane with almost 95% road expanded from earlier 4 lane
Chitradurga Hubli is 4 lane
Hubli bypass is 2 lane without a median for 30 kms
End of Bypass till Belgaum is undergoing 6 lane work with couple of diversions onto service lane
Belgaum MH Border near Kagal/Kognoli is a splendid 4 lane
MH border Kolhapur Satara is 4 lane with increased traffic
Satara Pune is undergoing 6 lane work with a few deviations too else is 4 lane
Pune bypass is undergoing 6 lane work with at least 5 or 6 diversions and beeline traffic at peak hours
Pune Mumbai expressway is 6 lane
Expressway end till Turbhe is 6-8 lane with horrible stretches around Nerul (cricket stadium) till Turbhe- This was the case in end of July when i drove and wondering if its got better now.
paragsachania

Thanks for the detailed info on the road segments. Have been looking for something like that. Plan to do a Bangalore- Matheran- Mumbai in Oct 2013. Any update on the road conditions to Matheran off the Pune- Mumbai expressway?

DrVjy
Old 19th September 2013, 15:08   #1408
J.Ravi

Yesterday, I drove from Mumbai to Bangalore on my way back from Mount Abu. I crossed Pune bypass by 4:30 am and reached Sai Food Court near Kolhapur by 8:30 am. Pune to Satara section has gone from bad to worse; it has become the driver's nightmare. Potholes have become craters, craters have upgraded to ditches and the ditches into huge pits. The rain and darkness have contributed to the mess. And the pity is, we have to pay for getting our cars thrashed and beaten up.
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 16:09   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
paragsachania

Any update on the road conditions to Matheran off the Pune- Mumbai expressway?

DrVjy
Sorry I don't have any details about the road to Matheran that I can help you with. May be someone on this thread who has driven there recently should come up with some updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I drove from Mumbai to Bangalore on my way back from Mount Abu. I crossed Pune bypass by 4:30 am and reached Sai Food Court near Kolhapur by 8:30 am. Pune to Satara section has gone from bad to worse; it has become the driver's nightmare. Potholes have become craters, craters have upgraded to ditches and the ditches into huge pits. The rain and darkness have contributed to the mess. And the pity is, we have to pay for getting our cars thrashed and beaten up.

Absolutely Ravi sir. The last I drove was on July 21st under similar conditions that it was a nightmare too. Dark, under-construction roads, no lane markings, rains added to my woes making things very difficult and hard to keep speeds beyond even 70kmph till crossing Satara.

The diversions specially towards Pune are worst and so are those on Pune Bypass.

After Satara since the surface is concrete, situation becomes better.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:07   #1410
J.Ravi

Quote:
Absolutely Ravi sir.
While going from Bangalore to Pune on 3 Sep 2013, my Linea had tankful at BP COCOO at Kottur 2 known as OSTS - One Stop Trucker's Shop - located on LHS of NH 4. While returning yesterday, she was fueled by the opposite BP COCOO at Kottur 1. While the former accepted my debit card for payment, the latter did not and I paid by cash. Thanks a lot for your suggestion regarding these 2 BP COCOO.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks