Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 22:37   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Did Kochi-Mumbai round week this week. Kolhapur McD is good but Kamat at two places were 'Gha Math'.

For the first time in NH7, I was flagged down by an intercepter near Davangere while returning. When I stopped, a constable politely asked us to buy two Rs.100 stamps without commenting anything about speed !!! I was well above 100 and bought a stamp for Rs.100 and moved on without further questions.

I think the intercepter was not at all working.

Innovative idea.
Old 4th May 2014, 23:21   #1532
Senior - BHPian

What is this with stamps? Or am I missing something?
Old 5th May 2014, 12:41   #1533
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Kochi-Mumbai round week this week. Kolhapur McD is good but Kamat at two places were 'Gha Math'.

For the first time in NH7, I was flagged down by an intercepter near Davangere while returning. When I stopped, a constable politely asked us to buy two Rs.100 stamps without commenting anything about speed !!! I was well above 100 and bought a stamp for Rs.100 and moved on without further questions.

I think the intercepter was not at all working.

Innovative idea.
NH4 I guess?These stamps are such a nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Oh cops have these stamps saying its Police Commemorative day or some nonsense of that sort,either they tell you can buy or else they say you can "contribute".They also tell you the stamps are only of fixed denominations and the minimum almost always being INR 100.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 13:03   #1534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Tell me about it. Once they stopped me at Hagare (between Hassan and Belur) and asked to buy these seeing Bangalore Regn Plates on my vehicle. When they realised from my DL that I was from Belur, they smiled and let me go telling "paravaagilla ide oorvanrallva, bidi saar" (It's OK you are from the same place, carry on).
Old 5th May 2014, 13:15   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Oh cops have these stamps saying its Police Commemorative day or some nonsense of that sort,either they tell you can buy or else they say you can "contribute".They also tell you the stamps are only of fixed denominations and the minimum almost always being INR 100.
Yes, its NH4 and thanks Ranjit for the clarification.

I got the same stamp when I did a work at Bangalore Electronics City RTO last year without an agent.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:20   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Tell me about it. Once they stopped me at Hagare (between Hassan and Belur) and asked to buy these seeing Bangalore Regn Plates on my vehicle. When they realised from my DL that I was from Belur, they smiled and let me go telling "paravaagilla ide oorvanrallva, bidi saar" (It's OK you are from the same place, carry on).
Forget highways. I was stopped a few days back in Bangalore city itself while I was driving my wife's car (which is registered in Mysore btw). I was wondering why I am stopped and this constable comes and asks me very politely to 'contribute' to the flag fund if I am 'interested'. Obviously, I had to contribute because of his 'politeness'. Got a police flag sticker for Rs.50/-

Sorry for going
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 20:00   #1537
Senior - BHPian

There are a couple of traffic cops at the Satara toll gate who harass out of state vehicles. They make sure they stop KA/GA registered vehicles that usually ply this route. These guys are active from about 8 AM until 6-7 PM. Watch out for them and ensure that your papers are in order including the emission certificate. And they insist on originals. I've encountered them four times until now and they almost know me by face. The latest addition to the constabulary brigade at the toll gate is an MUV full of them including an ASI.

I did this route on the Sunday (4th May), leaving Pune at 9 AM, and found that the traffic from Pune until Kolhapur was exceptionally high. The same was the case from Tumkur to Bangalore. I've done the same route on other days and have found that traffic is manageable on most times. I'd suggest an early morning commencement of the trip both ways as traffic is minimal. Night driving is also a good option as the two wheelers are minimal in the sun down hours. Though it goes without saying, strong headlamps are a must.

Also, the best place

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 6th May 2014 at 20:06.
Old 6th May 2014, 20:11   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
There are a couple of traffic cops at the Satara toll gate who harass out of state vehicles. They make sure they stop KA/GA registered vehicles that usually ply this route.
I am sure you are referring to Anewadi and Taswade Toll booths. I have been seeing cops since last 3 years and so far I have never been stopped. May be I was plain lucky. Have seen them mostly targeting Trax/Commanders/Boleros filled with people.

However, I always make it a point to carry all originals and even the Emission Test Certificate for a fact that the fine amount is very high in Maharashtra for the same. (As they first ask for "Laison ani PUC ahe ka?")
Quote:
I'd suggest an early morning commencement of the trip both ways as traffic is minimal. Night driving is also a good option as the two wheelers are minimal in the sun down hours. Though it goes without saying, strong headlamps are a must.

Also, the best place

Cheers,

Jay
I would always suggest the same. Either a 4AM start or a 1PM start from both ends.

Smarter way to beat the Pune-Kolhapur traffic is to travel under artificial lights or keep driving between 12:30PM till 3:30PM when most of the folks are resting and dining at a restaurant.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th May 2014 at 20:13.
Old 11th May 2014, 10:49   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Ideally, don't take any of the exits marked for Belgaum city as you are nearing Belgaum.
You will then see a service road at your level on the left with oncoming traffic. Soon after this the bridge descends and on the left you will see a shop with Belgaum "Kunda" written on it.

Soon after this shop, there will be a flashing Orange lamp post on the left indicating/cautioning merging traffic from Service lane.

Take a Left Handed U-Turn here and drive back for around 150-200 meters and take a right.

You will first spot an IOCL Fuel station on the right and Sankam next to it.

Drive ahead to take a U-Turn and enter Sankam.

Here is the Map URL for your assistance:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/15.8...d15.862278!3e0

Note: Sankam Residency has a huge neon sign visible from a good distance. You will see this coming closer as you drive towards Pune and at one point cross this Hotel on the left and soon after this is where you descend from an overbridge and take a Left handed U-Turn.
Thanks a lot buddy. I really enjoyed the lunch at Hotel Sankam. I am hooked. I do hope that the restaurant quality and value for money proposition remains.
Just as an add-on on my way back , Kolhapur McDs was pleasantly surprising. They had a full on breakfast menu complete with pancakes and coffee. It is a bit Americanised but it works and is a good change from the usual idli-dosa-poha breakfast fare.
One humorous thing was that with the pancakes and "maple" syrup that is quoted on the menu of course one shouldn't expect it to be available. A couple probably on their first road-trip were arguing loudly about the lack of maple syrup.
Common buddy you are on NH4 and Kollapur (the local pronunciation)...you complain for the lack of something that probably no one has tasted let alone seen was a little humorous. The pancakes were really filling though.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 10:48   #1540
Senior - BHPian

I'll be doing the Bangalore-Kolhapur-Ganaputipule stretch sometime in August.

Starting at around 8pm from Bangalore , estimated to reach around 10am in Ganapatipule. How safe is this entire stretch in terms of night driving , any isolated stretches on this route ?

My wife was a bit worried as we'll be travelling with 2 kids. Any NHAI toll-free numbers in case there's a problem ?
Old 14th June 2014, 11:10   #1541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'll be doing the Bangalore-Kolhapur-Ganaputipule stretch sometime in August.

Starting at around 8pm from Bangalore , estimated to reach around 10am in Ganapatipule. How safe is this entire stretch in terms of night driving , any isolated stretches on this route ?

My wife was a bit worried as we'll be travelling with 2 kids. Any NHAI toll-free numbers in case there's a problem ?
Night driving on NH4 is indeed safe. I just did Bangalore-Belgaum-Goa and back last friday starting from Bangalore at 10PM and reaching Belgaum at 5AM. The roads between Chitradurga till Haveri have got fresh layer of asphalt to compensate those undulations and "relatively" bad patches compared to other sections in KA.

Of course, my regular night drives extend all the way to Pune but that is usually when I am traveling with my father. With my daughter and rest of the family folks I always prefer a 4:30am start.

Note that you will not find options for good rest rooms all the way through the night on this stretch as most of them would be closed.

Fuel stations you can bank upon will be after Dharwad which has BPCL COCOs. After this, its a gamble to find a reliable fuel station till you enter MH during the nights.

Considering the fact that you will drive with family and kids, I would strongly recommend you have an early morning start.

Otherwise, in terms of safety there have been no issues that I would like to bring to your notice.

8AM Departure from Bangalore would guarantee you entry into Kolhapur in about 9 hours with sedate drive. Since its night, your breaks will also be limited.

You could then spend an hour at McDs and then deviate off NH4 towards Ganapatipule and that stretch after mornings will be safer as opposed to nights where you cannot expect much traffic.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th June 2014 at 11:13.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 09:27   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the fact that you will drive with family and kids, I would strongly recommend you have an early morning start.
Thanks for the inputs Parag. My check-in time at MTDC Ganapatipule is 10 am, that's the only reason for the night drive.

I drove from Bangalore to Chitradurga yesterday and the road was 6 lane till close to Chitradurga , where it became 4 lane.

Is NH4 beyond Chitradurga till Kolhapur 4L or 6L ?
Old 16th June 2014, 09:43   #1543
J.Ravi

Quote:
Four-laned. Hubli-Dharwad bypass is two-laned. However, on many stretches from Dharwad bypass to Belgaum, six-laning works are in progress. There are two BPCL COCO outlets situated on both the sides of NH 4 near the high court bench, where refuelling could be done.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 09:46   #1544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs Parag. My check-in time at MTDC Ganapatipule is 10 am, that's the only reason for the night drive.
Then I would suggest you to halt at either Belgaum or Kolhapur instead of driving on a lonely stretch (at night) towards the Western coast with a toddler.

For Belgaum you can always start around 5pm and still reach by 11 in the night and then start fresh in the morning to check in by around 10-00am.

If at all you intend to do an all night drive till your destination, ensure to tank up before exiting Kolhapur.

Quote:
I drove from Bangalore to Chitradurga yesterday and the road was 6 lane till close to Chitradurga , where it became 4 lane.

Nope, it is 4 lane Chitradurga onwards till Hubli Bypass start.

Then 2 lane for the next 30 kms till the Bypass ends on the Dharwad end.

After this again 6 lane from here for the next 60 kms till Belgaum.

After Belgaum the road is 4 lane till Satara (you may not go till here anyways) and between Satara and Pune 6 lane work remains in progress since the last 4 years!!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Four-laned. Hubli-Dharwad bypass is two-laned. However, on many stretches from Dharwad bypass to Belgaum, six-laning works are in progress. There are two BPCL COCO outlets situated on both the sides of NH 4 near the high court bench, where refuelling could be done.
Ravi sir, the 6 lane work is fully complete since more than 3-4 months now. I drove to Belgaum & Goa last weekend and its completely done including the overbridges.

The COCO near High Court Bench (Unfortunately) are now on the service lane and if one is driving relatively fast, its easy to miss the exit for service lane where this stations are situated and get onto the main overbridge.

Ideally, its best to slow down after 4 kms crossing Dharwad end of the Bypass towards Pune.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th June 2014 at 09:54.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 09:57   #1545
J.Ravi

Thanks for the detailed update, paragsachania.

Quote:
The COCO near High Court Bench (Unfortunately) are now on the service lane
Yes; in February 2014, while returning from Pune to Bangalore, I took a U-turn after driving down a flyover in front of the BPCL COCOO and drove back a few hundred metres to reach it. But then, the trouble is worth, IMO.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks