Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 09:30   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Are there any entry taxes to be paid for private vehicles when we enter Mumbai ? If yes, what is the amount to be paid and will they issue a receipt for the same and where is this collected?
None at all. There is no such thing called entry tax for private vehicles in Mumbai.
What you pay is what others do- Tolls at various locations within Mumbai limits to cross or enter various suburbs - Airoli, Thane, Ghodbunder etc.(and soon at Nerul)
Old 7th October 2014, 11:57   #1607
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
2nd question, how bad is the Pune Satara stretch and the Pune bypass stretch.
This reply may be too late for you, as I presume you might have already traveled by now. Hopefully, this will help other fellow BHPians and readers.
I traveled from Bangalore-Pune-Bangalore last week. To answer your second question, the road from Satara to Pune is in a miserable condition, for roughly about 5 kms. The rest is not that good either, but manageable in moderate city speeds. Do lookout for two wheeler traffic though (they do give 'road circus' a new definition entirely).
The road from Pune to Satara is in a better state comparatively. Patch works are on, so these can be covered in moderate city speeds.

Roads in Karnataka are an absolute bliss to drive. Ironically, the tolls in Maharashtra are way more expensive than compared to that of Karnataka (is it just me or anyone else feels the same?). For example, I paid Rs. 55 while entering Satara (for similar distance in between toll plazas), but costed me just Rs. 35 when entered Karnataka on return journey (again, the distance between toll plaza is more or less the same).

Drive safe.
Old 9th October 2014, 19:52   #1608

Dear fellow BHPians,

Any suggestions to cross Mumbai while coming from Gujarat side and travelling towards Pune?

Few days back I traveled from Bangalore to Rajkot & crossed Mumbai through Kalamboli-Taloje-Mumbra-Thane-Ghodbunder Route. However I found it little slower.

So for my return journey from Rajkot to Bangalore, I thought of checking with friends here if Ghodbunder-Thane-Mulund(Eastern Exp Way)-Airoli-Vashi-Pune Express way would be better as compare to Ghodbunder-Thane-Mubra-Taloje-Kalamboli?

I will be crossing Mumbai (Thane) at around 5pm tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:03   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Run View Post
So for my return journey from Rajkot to Bangalore, I thought of checking with friends here if Ghodbunder-Thane-Mulund(Eastern Exp Way)-Airoli-Vashi-Pune Express way would be better as compare to Ghodbunder-Thane-Mubra-Taloje-Kalamboli?

I will be crossing Mumbai (Thane) at around 5pm tomorrow.

Thanks
If you reach Ghodbunder Junction (Fountain Hotel) at 5PM, be assured to spend at least 2 hours before you are getting onto the Mumbai Pune expressway.

Ghodbunder Road - Thane - Eastern Expressway - Airoli Bridge - Thane Belapur Road and finally Kalamboli onto the Mumbai Pune expressway.

By any chance if you can make it to Ghodbunder by 4pm, you will easily be on the expressway in under 1 hour.

Last week (Friday) we were at Ghodbunder at 3-30PM and on the expressway (McDonalds) at 4-15PM. In fact, even during our onward Journey we crossed Mumbai between 7-30 and 8-30am and it was bliss.

Although the Sion Panvel expressway is all done including Flyover at Nerul (JNPT exit), the time consuming part will be after Airoli Bridge as well as petty signals on Thane-Belapur Road till Vashi Turn off.
Old 10th October 2014, 14:18   #1610
Distinguished - BHPian

With an early morning start (~03.00 AM) is it possible to reach Vapi by around 06.00 PM the same day on bye-passing Mumbai?
Old 10th October 2014, 14:36   #1611
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
With an early morning start (~03.00 AM) is it possible to reach Vapi by around 06.00 PM the same day on bye-passing Mumbai?
My timings: left Vapi at 12 noon and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home by 9 am, the next day, i.e., 1,136 km in 21 hours including ~2 hours deviation to visit Silvassa before joining back NH 8. Here are the timings and toll details:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-vapibangaloretoll.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 14:54   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post

First time I drove on the famed Expressway. Either my expectations were high or the expressway needs repair.
Exactly my feeling when I drove last week. I also felt that the road from Mumbai to Pune was in a better shape than the pune to Mumbai stretch.

Quote:
My special thanks to @Paragsachania & @Ampere for their route advises
+ 1, Thanks guys for the help in planning.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 15:07   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Suhas, if possible and comfortable, try this:
  • Leave Sharp at 7PM from Bangalore
    Benefit - You would be ahead of all the North Karnataka and Mumbai/Pune bound buses from Bangalore
  • Cross Pune at 6AM
    Benefit - Kolhapur-Pune even with the deviations after Satara can easily be managed in 2.5-3 hours and you would be on Pune bypass between 6:00 and 6:20am before the IT Junta wakes up and chokes the bypass
  • Do not stop on the expressway, Rather continue till you exit Mumbai
    Benefit: You will take 90 minutes with moderate speeds to drive on the expressway and will be crossing Mumbai between 7:15 and 8:00am
After you are on NH8 (Beyond Ghodbunder Jn), you have plenty of Refueling stations and hotels to eat and get fresh.

The advantage of you driving beyond Mumbai around 8am will be lesser traffic all the way to Vapi compared to driving at peak time as traffic would be thick till Vasai.

We started on 23rd at 7PM from Vidyaranyapura and crossed Pune at 6:15am and were at Vittal Kamat on NH8 beyond Ghodbunder (Mumbai) at 9 and on Ahmedabad Ring road at 3pm.

During return (3rd Oct), we breakfasted at Ahmedabad at 8am, crossed Mumbai between 3-30pm - 0415pm , Pune bypass at 7PM (we had stopped at the Expressway food court in between) and at my Bangalore home early morning at 6am.

The trick here is simple:
  • Leave Bangalore before the buses do
  • Cross Pune bypass before the traffic thickens (Never after 8am)
  • Cross Mumbai before Peak hours (preferably before 8am)

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th October 2014 at 15:13.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 15:28   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
None at all. There is no such thing called entry tax for private vehicles in Mumbai...
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My timings: left Vapi at 12 noon and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home by 9 am, the next day..
Folks,

I am planning to do the Bangalore - Mumbai(Kandivali) - Bangalore next week. I plan to travel with family and kids and start at 5am, take a night break at Kolhapur while going to Mumbai. What are the decent breakfast and lunch locations while going to Mumbai?

Also, on the return route, I want to start 5am from Mumbai and take a night halt at Hubli. What are some decent hotels for family? And also, the breakfast and lunch locations while returning pls.

I am making my first long trip on my XUV so all excited.

Ps: Posting on behalf of my friend who is an XUV owner and waiting for his T-Bhp account approval.
Old 10th October 2014, 15:35   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
What are the decent breakfast and lunch locations while going to Mumbai?
Undoubtedly, Kamat just before Ranebennur Bypass (300kms) makes best sense for a breakfast break if you start at 5am. You should be here in 4 or 4.5 hours max.
Further ahead (say 60 kms) you have CCD attached with Hotel Garuda on the bypass of Shiggaon Town.
Quote:
Also, on the return route, I want to start 5am from Mumbai and take a night halt at Hubli. What are some decent hotels for family? And also, the breakfast and lunch locations while returning pls.
5am from Mumbai would make you cross Pune around 7 and you can stop at McDonalds soon after Khedshivpur toll (After Pune, 80 Rs) on the left hand side that also has a BPCL COCO attached to it.

Beyond this, you have Hotel Annapurna just before the Karad Bypass (On the left hand side, Decent Veg Hotel) and Sai International about 30 kms after Karad on the left hand side again.

Although I have never stayed at Hubli, Clarks Inn is closest to the bypass (NH4) and many have rated the hotel positively.
Old 10th October 2014, 15:45   #1616
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
What are the decent breakfast and lunch locations while going to Mumbai?
1. Kamat Upachar, near Sira [120 km from Bangalore on RHS] attached to BP COCO retail outlet

2. Kamat Upachar, near Ranebennur [from Bangalore on LHS] attached to defunct Reliance pump

3. Kamat Upachar, Chabbi near Hubli [from Bangalore on RHS] attached to defunct Reliance pump

4. Hotel Sankam Residency, Belgaum [below NH 4 flyover] [from Bangalore on LHS]

5. McDonald, Kolhapur bypass [from Bangalore on LHS]

6. Sai Food Court ~30 km after Kolhapur towards Pune [from Bangalore on RHS]

7. Hotel Vithal Kamat, between Kolhapur and Pune [from Bangalore on RHS]
  (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 16:22   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_cars_guy View Post
Ironically, the tolls in Maharashtra are way more expensive than compared to that of Karnataka (is it just me or anyone else feels the same?).
I felt the same way. But when I actually calculated post my drive, I realise that the Toll per KM is less in Maharashtra than in Karnataka. But the quality of the road in Karnataka is way way better than in Maharashtra. And even the traffic; the traffic thins out drastically as soon as you cross Kagal and enter KA.

Last edited by ptushar : 10th October 2014 at 16:23. Reason: Typo
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 16:38   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I felt the same way. But when I actually calculated post my drive, I realise that the Toll per KM is less in Maharashtra than in Karnataka.
Ideally true. Take for instance the Stretch from Bangalore to Davanagere/Harihar Bypass (A distance of ~270 kms) that has tolls as below:
20+35+55+55+80+95 = 340/-
From this, even if you knock off 20/- for Nelemangala Elevated Tollway, it comes to 320/- for a 270 kms stretch.

Kolhapur-Pune is roughly 220 kms and the tolls are - 70+70+55+80 which is 275 for a 220 kms stretch!

I wouldn't want to introduce the toll paid for the expressway (195 for ~ 100 kms) and if so, then we need to compare that with NICE road (155 for a mere 40 kms stretch).

The roads in Karnataka side of NH4 have always been excellent ever since the Chitradurga-Haveri was all done in 2012 & the 6 laning between Tumkur and Chitradurga, and Dharwad-Belgaum now.

One can easily say that the traffic density in KA is almost 1/10th to that of MH on NH4 irrespective of whether it is a weekday or a weekend.

The 6 lane work between Pune and Satara is something that will take mars years (Looking at the "Progress" over the last 3 years) and once done may not really make a big difference in terms of timings IMHO!

The only reason we have delays in the Kol-Pune section is due to high traffic and hence the clogged booths and 6 lane may only make things little better if not change things drastically. As of now, the diversions have got patched up well (23rd to 4th Oct experience) and made things better for a day driver.
Old 10th October 2014, 16:50   #1619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
1. Kamat Upachar, near Sira [120 km from Bangalore on RHS] attached to BP COCO retail outlet
We had our breakfast from here. Excellent food, reasonable rates, clean and super-hygienic restrooms, good parking space and a fuel pump located bang next to the restaurant.

Innards of the Kamat at Sira (clicked last month):

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-wp_20140910_08_55_15_pro.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
But the quality of the road in Karnataka is way way better than in Maharashtra.
Wholeheartedly agreed! The roads from Pune to Kolhapur after Satara is really bad (potholes + diversions due to flyover constructions) compared to what we have after entering Karnataka. Collecting tolls on this stretch from the users is really sad. We wasted a lot of time on this stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The 6 lane work between Pune and Satara is something that will take mars years (Looking at the "Progress" over the last 3 years) and once done may not really make a big difference in terms of timings IMHO!
It has been taking too long. I really wish they complete this stretch real soon. It will be a boon for those doing Bangalore-Pune during weekends. And Parag bhai, I think it might actually make a difference if they do the 6-laning here. Average speeds of 100 kmph and we are easily touching the MH-KA border after leaving Pune in less than 3 hours. Don't you agree?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 17:17   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
We had our breakfast from here. Excellent food, reasonable rates, clean and super-hygienic restrooms, good parking space and a fuel pump located bang next to the restaurant.
The one at Tumkur (Dabaspet) and Sira (where you stopped) are safer bets when it comes to Hygiene and food. Any Kamat beyond this - even Ranebennur is only an option to an otherwise empty stretch of highway with no good restaurants. These Kamats have brisk business due to the fact that most of the North bound buses stop here both during onward and Return journeys and the fact that it is within the first 150 kms distance from Bangalore makes it easy option for private cars to stop too.
Quote:
And Parag bhai, I think it might actually make a difference if they do the 6-laning here. Average speeds of 100 kmph and we are easily touching the MH-KA border after leaving Pune in less than 3 hours. Don't you agree?
Unlike Mumbai-Baroda which is a proper 6 lane with industries dotted far away from the main corridor and service lanes in between, the Kolhapur-Pune section is dense with population and misc towns (Kolhapur, Islampur, Karad, Khedshivpur). I really wonder if service lanes will ever be built along with 6 laning!

An extra lane may just ease things a bit but I can already foresee the first lane used by petty trucks, tempos, black hawk Mahindra commander taxis picking and dropping passengers. Not to forget eateries around this stretch where smart idiots would assume one lane to park alone!

Driving between Kolhapur-Pune has to have just one thing - Odd day or Odd times. Give this stretch 10 lanes and things will never change.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th October 2014 at 17:21.

Most Viewed