Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 16:36   #1651

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Thanks Parag, that's very useful.
Though, if time permits, I may take Pune-Rajgurunagar-Sangamner-Loni-Rahata-Shirdi route to visit my engineering college in Loni and relive some moments there. Otherwise Nagar route is preferable.
Shall post anything that's useful on this topic after returning back.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:52   #1652
BHPian

I did Tirupati Mumbai last week. I want to point out one thing here. About 20-30 Kms before Harihar out of nowhere there was one 60KMPH speed limit board. While driving i did not notice but my dad spotted that. There were no villages around and most of the cars must be doing at least 90 if not more. Just 1KM after that spot traffic police with speed guns were catching offenders. Fortunately I was behind some trucks during that stretch.

Last edited by abhijitvp : 19th December 2014 at 17:21.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:56   #1653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
I did Tirupati Mumbai last week. I want to point out one thing here. About 20-30 Kms before Hiriyur out of nowhere there was one 60KMPH speed limit board. While driving i did not notice but my dad spotted that. There were no villages around and most of the cars must be doing at least 90 if not more. Just 1KM after that spot traffic police with speed guns were catching offenders. Fortunately I was behind some trucks during that stretch.
Was this on after crossing Davanagere?thats the major place with interceptors, both directions.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:28   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Was this on after crossing Davanagere?thats the major place with interceptors, both directions.
Sorry it was Harihar and not Hiriyur. After Davanagere towards Pune around Doddabhati. It was around 3.30PM. Roads are fabulous in that section. I was careful in and around Banglore but did not know about this place. What are the other stretches where we can expect interceptors?

Last edited by abhijitvp : 19th December 2014 at 17:30.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:34   #1655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Sorry it was Harihar and not Hiriyur. After Davanagere towards Pune around Doddabhati. It was around 3.30PM. Roads are fabulous in that section. What are the other stretches where we can expect interceptors?
And I was wondering till now when you said Hiriyur.
  • Towards Pune, the Interceptor is placed between Davanagere Bypass End and Harihar Bypass Start.
  • Towards Bangalore, the Interceptor is parked soon after you cross the ROB after the Medical college on your right.

However, you won't spot them on both sides as it is only one Interceptor.

The other famous spot is something most BHPians may not pass -
  • Towards Bangalore, soon after the NTBL Flyover starts, on the road below.
  • Towards Pune, Just where the NTBL Flyover ends, before the NTBL Toll booth.
  • Apart from this, there have been reports on Interceptors stationed right at Belgaum exit (Towards Pune).
  • Hubli-Dharwad PB Road (Not the bypass) still has speed traps and the limit here is 40 KMPH.

Long Long back (2010-11), Maharashtra cops used to hold speed gun standing the median soon after Taswade Toll. They don't have speed guns today but routinely stop vehicles (Mostly 2 wheelers, Trax, etc)

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th December 2014 at 17:35.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 20:02   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshnd View Post
Thanks Parag, that's very useful.
Though, if time permits, I may take Pune-Rajgurunagar-Sangamner-Loni-Rahata-Shirdi route to visit my engineering college in Loni and relive some moments there. Otherwise Nagar route is preferable.
Shall post anything that's useful on this topic after returning back.
Jayesh - I am not sure about the Loni-Rahata-Shirdi route, but had been to Shirdi two weeks ago and the Nagar By-pass was in shambles. I am going to Shirdi again tomorrow and am hoping its better, since I saw some work going on last time around.

The Pune-Mumbai expressway continues to be great as always. Except, sometimes, the trucks can slow you down completely on the ghats. Don't be surprised when you see 3 trucks occupying all 3 lanes and each of them trying to overtake each other with a 1KM/Hr speed difference.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 21:08   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
We were just 3 guys out there in Mumbai and somehow decided to take a different route just for fun as we had no time constraints in terms of reaching back to Bangalore.

The exact route that we took was as below:

Thane-Mumbai-Panvel-Vadkal Naka-Khed-Chiplun-Sawantwadi-Panaji-Margaon-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapura-Sirsi-Sagara-Shimoga-Tumkur-Bangalore
Parag - I understand that this has been a while ago, but a set of my friends(4) want to do a different scenic route on their way to Mahabaleshwar from Bangalore. I was suggesting them the exact route that you've taken, except probably do Gokarna-Jog-Shimoga-Tiptur-Tumkur.

I am aware of the road conditions between Panjim-Bangalore, but have not done the northern part of the route. Please advise on the road conditions between Mahabaleshwar-Panjim. The car will be a Vento. And they are ok to have a stopover.
Old 28th December 2014, 21:55   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Pune-Bangalore:

Zero Point – Kognoli Toll Booth – This is where the current toll fare is 35 INR. Else you can simply read the receipt and get to know the toll booth name.
  1. 115.3 Kms
  2. 117 Kms
  3. 197 Kms
  4. 304.8 Kms
  5. 355 Kms
  6. 522.7 Kms
A couple of missing ones from your list that I found out this weekend on my drive from Pune to Bangalore:
1. 233 Kms - there is a pair of humps
2. On the Chitradurga Bypass, under the overbridge (sorry was not paying attention to the odometer reading)
Old 28th December 2014, 22:40   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Back yesterday after a 17 hour drive from Andheri, Mumbai to Koramangala, Bangalore. Delays were on account of jams at toll booths near Pune and Satara, due to weekend crowds. A total of 4 breaks on each journey, at the CCDs mainly.

Checked out the accommodation at Hotel Garuda, Shiggaon. Rooms look OK for a night's sleep, at Rs. 750 for a non AC double room and Rs. 1200 for AC double room. However, the location is just about OK, which is fine for the price, I guess. We just had coffee and resumed our journey to reach Bangalore the same night.
Old 29th December 2014, 11:09   #1660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
A couple of missing ones from your list that I found out this weekend on my drive from Pune to Bangalore:
1. 233 Kms - there is a pair of humps
2. On the Chitradurga Bypass, under the overbridge (sorry was not paying attention to the odometer reading)
The 233 kms is actually chipped off and almost levelled. You may have noticed it.

On the Chitradurga bypass below the Railway overbridge crossing across you? If so, then its a "brand new" entry.

Exactly below this overbridge the road had developed very deep potholes (due to water logging) and cops had kept barricades to caution the drivers. Not sure if you are mentioning about the same overbridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Back yesterday after a 17 hour drive from Andheri, Mumbai to Koramangala, Bangalore. Delays were on account of jams at toll booths near Pune and Satara, due to weekend crowds. A total of 4 breaks on each journey, at the CCDs mainly.

Checked out the accommodation at Hotel Garuda, Shiggaon. Rooms look OK for a night's sleep, at Rs. 750 for a non AC double room and Rs. 1200 for AC double room. However, the location is just about OK, which is fine for the price, I guess. We just had coffee and resumed our journey to reach Bangalore the same night.
One of my close friend is from Shiggaon and I have visited this place few times and once for breakfast on the way to Pune. Never a place to recommend for a stay I guess. Its the CCD that was set up in their campus which should be the reason for a stop here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 00:04   #1661
BHPian

Dear All,

I did a trip from Navi Mumbai to Bangalore - 25th Dec & return on 29th Dec. All the inputs from people on this forum helped me plan the trip very nicely. From the eateries , fuel pump stations, speed breaker points etc. all the inputs were there on this forum.

Onward Journey -- I started at 4:45 AM from Sanpada, Navi Mumbai and reached my destination( Hormavu Road, Bangalore) by 7:15 PM. In total 14.5 Hrs of travel time.

I encountered traffic from Mumbai -Pune expressway onwards( heavy vehicle traffic) and then a lot of locals on the road till Maharashtra border. This made my average speed to be on lower side.

Almost on each and every toll booths in Maharashtra side, I observed long queues and that also slowed me down. While the toll booths on Karnataka side, it was faster access.

Breakfast Break was at Satara( Hotel Mahendra Executive), I would recommend this place fir stopover with family.

Did the refuelling at BPCL COCO , Nippani as it was suggested on the forum.

Lunch stopover was at Hotel Garuda, Shiggaon. This is just OK place for having Indian food. As my family wanted to have indian food and not stuff at CCD so picked up this place.

In fact I missed the hotel ( as it on other side while going towards Bangalore) and even Map my India GPS ( on my XUV 500) didn't show it as a location. Went ahead almost 10 KM and then used the Google maps on my phone to pin point it.

Overall roads in Karnataka were lot better then MH road( as mentioned by so many people on the forum) and this actually helped me improve my overall average speed. Though spots like the 2 Lane byepass of Hubli- Dharward are an eye sore. Else the roads specially the 3+3 Lane section of the roads are nice.

Once the 6 Lane section ends while going to Bangalore, it was again a bit of extra traffic from there onwards till inside bangalore city.

On the return journey -- I again started at 4:45 AM. reached Sanpada in 13 hrs.

I had 2 refuelling breaks on Karnataka side, Break fast at Kamat Upachar Rannebennur, Lunch at Sai International after Kolhapur. Reached destination by 5:45 PM.

I encountered lesser traffic within Karnataka limits. Once into MH limits, the local traffic( 2 wheeler, tractor with trailers etc.) actually slows you down. Then the traffic to cross Pune city was another downer.

A small experience. I had planned to have breakfast at Genesis resort, Davengere. The pics on the website made me feel, its a real nice place. But when we actually went in there, I felt this place is past its prime. And to my surprise, there wasnt any "menu" in the restaurant and only thing they offered was bread toast / bread omlette. Then I moved out with family and drove to Kamat, Rannebennur.

Sai International after Kolhapur when travelling towards Mumbai, where I had my stop over for lunch, was liked by my family. Fast service, clean and hygenic.

Attached a few clicks taken on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-dsc_0196-800x517.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-dsc_0183-800x530.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-dsc_0190-800x530.jpg  

balpreetsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 12:24   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
On the Chitradurga bypass below the Railway overbridge crossing across you? If so, then its a "brand new" entry.
Yes, this is exactly under the Railway Bridge and it is only on one side - Pune - Bangalore. The other side (BLR-Pune) does not have a hump - strange.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:41   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
Yes, this is exactly under the Railway Bridge and it is only on one side - Pune - Bangalore. The other side (BLR-Pune) does not have a hump - strange.
Spot on with my guess then.

When I drove thrice last month to Pune, I realized that the road right underneath the ROB had developed massive potholes. Hence, I was always careful to approach the section below this overbridge.

On return from Pune during the 3rd drive I noticed a LCV resting on the wall of the ROB and a barricade placed behind it to allow traffic to notice something untoward.

Upon getting closer, I noticed that there was no frontal impact and the front left wheel of the LCV had literally come off the LCV and I suspect that it may have happened due to jumping this pothole.

Hence, I believe the speedbreaker was installed as a corrective measure to caution about the Hazard (Potholes) here. Second reason I am doubting is the width of the road under this ROB itself.

Driving again this Friday evening and I am going to try finding out the real culprit .
Old 6th January 2015, 13:04   #1664
BHPian

Hi

My wife and I went out driving our Xcent AT on 26th and back on 30th. Bangalore to Pune and then Mumbai. I have given a fairly detailed vehicle review for the long drive in my vehicle ownership thread.

On the drive from Bangalore to Pune the traffic starts picking up in the Satara - Pune section. Plus the last 2-3 toll booths take an extra 8-10 minutes. Given the bridges that are under construction in this section the overall average falls.

We filled fuel at Dharwad (COCO on both sides) and thankfully I was looking out for the bunks thanks to Parag's advice that we might miss them.

We also stopped at Sai International on the return journey for a quick bite. In our earlier trips we used to stop at the Kohlapur McDonald but skipped it for healthier options this time. Nothing better than a dal roti subzi.

On the Pune-Mumbai-Pune section a quick stop at the food plaza (on both sides) just after the Lonavala ghat (Pune-Mumbai side) and just before the Lonavala ghat (Mumbai-Pune side). Variety of food options and COCO fuel.

I have being driving on this highway for the last 9 years and must have done more than two dozen trips. Overall the highway and the related support system has certainly improved over the years. Hopefully, we will reach the level of having to pay one time toll and use RFID to go through multiple toll gates someday soon.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 8th January 2015, 11:09   #1665
BHPian

Pune bound on the 26th January long weekend, anybody else also doing this route around that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks