Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 20:42   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
I'm not sure if the prevalence of fog has been covered in the earlier posts in this thread, but the entire stretch between Belgaum and Dharwad/Hubli was encased in thick fog this morning. Several occasions when on the 2-lane bypass we had two sets of lights blinking at us with less than 100 m to go!

Also, has anyone noticed a weird wheel noise in the stretch between Motibennur and Ranibennur? The different shades of the tarmac create sounds of different types, but never before have I heard a humming noise that gives you the feeling that your brakes are binding! We actually got off to inspect. Apparently, it isn't an uncommon experience, according to the locals.
Here you go-

This was during my Ahmedabad Bangalore run 10 days back. The fog started right at the Hubli Bypass Toll(lucky) and was existing all the way till I crossed Ranebennur.

Earlier Dharwad Belgaum was famous for fog but now this!

Regarding the road noise, its absolutely normal at this stretch. To test this you can drive in front of Power Station between Hassan and CR Patna on NH48 too for similar noise
Old 27th February 2015, 21:04   #1697
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Regarding the road noise, its absolutely normal at this stretch. To test this you can drive in front of Power Station between Hassan and CR Patna on NH48 too for similar noise
Maybe, but it sure feels like its coming right from the center of the wheel! I thought for a moment that I may have the hand brake on! I was fully expecting a red-hot wheel hub or two. Or worse, a burning smell from a worn clutch plate or some such.
Old 6th March 2015, 03:23   #1698
BHPian

Hi, what are the options for a good lunch (clean, options, big enough place, not kamat & likes, a bit modern place) within Davangere town? Need to spend an afternoon with a lot of free time inbtwn there for some work & hence want to have a relaxing meal as well. Pl.let me know based on your recent experiences.

Last edited by null : 6th March 2015 at 03:24.
Old 6th March 2015, 13:37   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hi, what are the options for a good lunch (clean, options, big enough place, not kamat & likes, a bit modern place) within Davangere town? Need to spend an afternoon with a lot of free time inbtwn there for some work & hence want to have a relaxing meal as well. Pl.let me know based on your recent experiences.
Not modern though, you can surely explore the heavenly butter Masala Dosa (Benne Masala Dosa). Thats the talk of the town. Dont know about any modern places.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 09:20   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

There is Barista right opposite to this butter Dosa joint inside the college campus and open for Public.

Used this many times for cleaner option compared to the Dosa joint.
Old 7th March 2015, 09:59   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not modern though, you can surely explore the heavenly butter Masala Dosa (Benne Masala Dosa). Thats the talk of the town. Dont know about any modern places.
On our last Pune-Kerala drive we did in fact venture out into Davangere town to try the Benne Dosa - We reached there around lunch time.

We lost a lot of time getting into town and the town itself was a major mess with a lot of roadwork going on. some buildings on both sides looked a bit like from a WWII scene - partially demolished for widening. We got stuck in some slow traffic and occasional jams.

The real tragedy was that we couldnt get to taste Benne Dosa ... we were told that the authentic places opened only at 4 pm or so, after their breakfast session. We eventually settled for a regular thali lunch at a roadside restaurant in the city which was surprisingly cheap and tasty too.

Overall we must have lost around an hour or so because of this diversion! :-)

We could have perhaps did some more research with locals but we were so hungry by that time we just lost our will to complete our mission!
Old 7th March 2015, 12:25   #1702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
We could have perhaps did some more research with locals but we were so hungry by that time we just lost our will to complete our mission!
Can really feel what must have happened! Have also noticed that NH4 bypasses Davanagere by a big periphery. From that point, I can imagine, how much time it may take to get-in and get-out!

PS: Haven't seen you for long! No more Pune-Mysore drives or a visit to Valparai?
Old 7th March 2015, 16:43   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Can really feel what must have happened! Have also noticed that NH4 bypasses Davanagere by a big periphery. From that point, I can imagine, how much time it may take to get-in and get-out!

PS: Haven't seen you for long! No more Pune-Mysore drives or a visit to Valparai?

I have been very much around, thanks!

Mostly have been lurking, short comments here and there. Its been quite a while since I made a long road trip. The last one was a suddenly planned trip to Kerala in January - that's when the Benne Dosa misadventure happened!

Haven't stepped out of Pune since then..
Old 24th March 2015, 10:17   #1704
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai roadtrip along with my family in February first week this year. The roads in Karnataka until Belgaum is very nice. Kolhapur gets a little tough with few potholes. The bad stretch of roads starts from Sattara to Pune. Lot of diversions as the road is under construction. Watch out for these under construction roads as a four lane stretch suddenly narrows down to two-lane and then suddenly you will be driving on a single lane mud road.

We started exactly at 3 AM from Yelahanka, Bangalore. We reached Kolhapur by lunch. The worst roads from Sattara cuts down the speed and by the time we hit the Pune - Mumbai expressway it was already 5.30pm.
Old 31st March 2015, 08:28   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
Watch out for these under construction roads as a four lane stretch suddenly narrows down to two-lane and then suddenly you will be driving on a single lane mud road.
And the single lane road will likely have a couple monstrous speed breakers, too! Speed breakers should ideally be before the entry into the single lane road. Hope they don't see this and add a couple at the entry too!

Roads in that stretch are bad probably because the roads are used a lot more, particularly by local traffic. Surprisingly, between Bangalore and Kolhapur, there is little to no local traffic. That, plus there are very few eateries (other than the Kamat Upchars). Maybe there's a correlation here - fewer eateries, lesser traffic, better roads!
Old 31st March 2015, 09:56   #1706
BHPian

All,

I plan to start from JP Nagar at 3am and drive to Goa. Is the Gottigere/NICE road area foggy for early starts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
I'm not sure if the prevalence of fog has been covered in the earlier posts in this thread, but the entire stretch between Belgaum and Dharwad/Hubli was encased in thick fog this morning. Several occasions when on the 2-lane bypass we had two sets of lights blinking at us with less than 100 m to go!

Also, has anyone noticed a weird wheel noise in the stretch between Motibennur and Ranibennur? The different shades of the tarmac create sounds of different types, but never before have I heard a humming noise that gives you the feeling that your brakes are binding! We actually got off to inspect. Apparently, it isn't an uncommon experience, according to the locals.
Even I pulled over and inspected if something is wrong. Was driving a Figo with MRFs.
Old 31st March 2015, 10:19   #1707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I plan to start from JP Nagar at 3am and drive to Goa. Is the Gottigere/NICE road area foggy for early starts?
If you have access to ring road use that instead of NICE. The ring road all the way to Tumkur road works much faster compared to NICE. This is true mainly for morning hours. Since there is absolutely no traffic on ring road and its pretty much a signal free corridor. You get right at elevated road starting and continue directly from there.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 10:20.
Old 31st March 2015, 10:36   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless one stays super close to NICE and is starting after 7am, NICE makes sense and is undoubtedly quicker even at 3am.

Forget the Elevated section that you join at Goreguntepalya Juntion at the end of ORR, with NICE you bypass this and join 6 kms beyond.

End of the day, NICE will make sense if you spend less than 10 mins to reach the Entry point.

Whole NICE stretch from EC to Tumkur road end wont take more than 25 minutes anyways.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:00   #1709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Unless one stays super close to NICE and is starting after 7am, NICE makes sense and is undoubtedly quicker even at 3am.
Did not get this part. If one is close to NICE then NICE road is the option by all means. But if one is close to ORR, I would say morning exit ORR definitely makes sense. No point driving all the way to NICE entry and then pay toll and drive on NICE.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:05   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did not get this part. If one is close to NICE then NICE road is the option by all means. But if one is close to ORR, I would say morning exit ORR definitely makes sense. No point driving all the way to NICE entry and then pay toll and drive on NICE.
That is what I meant. Closer to NICE such that you take less than 10 minutes to Enter NICE, then NICE makes sense.

Secondly, You don't gain much by entering NTBL right at Goreguntepalya over entering it at NICE-NH4 Intersection. All this would really depend on the time of the day. For instance, at 7am you enter NTBL at Goreguntepalya via ORR or entering NTBL on Tumkur Road via NICE, definitely the latter will be faster any day.

3am and closer to ORR means ORR and nothing else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks