Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 13:12   #1906
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
A new hotel has opened recently in Davangere - Sankama The Boutique Hotel.
Good news indeed, specially for Davanagere which was a bit dicey with many travelers that either they had costlier options like Apoorva (well, that place is not really Pocket Friendly by usual Standards also but still a Good place) or due to the fact that the traversing inside the city for other hotels and getting back wasn't a well accepted option.

When you shared the Photos last week, I was sure this would be a better option now especially when you mentioned Shamanur Road. This exit is so easily accessible from both directions.

Thanks for updating the maps with the location too.

In days to come, I will get the existing long list updated to add these details including few new CCDs and Kamats too.

EDIT: Noticed that the Hotel in order to bear no resemblance to Sankam at Belgaum has been smart to name (or later rename) it to Sankama sighting issues later?

Seen this happen with Mayura near Swati Delicacy near Kunigal Bypass on NH48 which was later changed to just Mayur probably because the Mayura at Bellur cross opposed it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th March 2016 at 13:14.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 16:39   #1907
BHPian

Friends,

Just completed a to and fro trip from Mumbai to Bangalore. Some quick updates:

1) The stretch of road just after Pune to Kolhapur is undergoing a lot of work - so expect to slow down quite a bit. Surprisingly, the pace was slowed only in the Pune-Kolhapur direction. On the way back, I seem to have travelled much quicker. Nonetheless, you can expect lot of single lane traffic and slow moving traffic.

2) The road stretch from Kolhapur to Bangalore is an absolute joy to drive! Its fully asphalted and fairly well guarded with little or no town-side exits / entries.

3) The stretch between Kolhapur and Satara has innumerable number of towns enroute - and this means only one thing - SUPER CAUTION! There will be dozens of motorcycles on the road at any time - driving on both the left and right of the road. So, plan overtaking and your driving speed rather carefully.

4) En-route to Mumbai I stopped at Satara for breakfast, Hubli for lunch and near Hiriyur for evening tea.

5) On the way back (we split the journey at Kolhapur), we stopped at Tumkur for breakfast, Davengere for lunch - both places at Kamath. Halted at Kolhapur for the night. Next day, we stopped at Satara for lunch and headed straight to Mumbai after that.

Time of start from Mumbai: 3:15 AM
Time I reached Bangalore: 7:30 PM (exit from Nice Road to Mysore Road)
Total travel time: 16 hours - with 3 stops
Total fuel consumed: ~Rs. 4000 - about 66 lts - giving me an FE of 15 kmpl

Time of start from Bangalore: 9:00 AM
Time I reached Mumbai: 5:15 PM (reaching Mulund)
Total 'driving' time: 11 + 7 hours = 18 hours
Total fuel consumed: ~Rs. 3400 - about 54 lts - giving me an FE of 18 kmpl

I must mention that we were travelling with a one year old infant on the way back - hence the drive was more sedate

Special mention to my 14 year Honda City! What an absolutely amazing car. Despite the age, despite the 100000 kms on the ODO, despite the abuse of so many years in Mumbai, the car performs absolutely beautifully! Will be very difficult to part with her when she comes up for FC next year.

Cheers and safe driving!
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 17:40   #1908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
A new hotel has opened recently in Davangere - Sankama The Boutique Hotel. It's awesomely close to NH4 (just 1km from the Shamanur Exit). This would make for a good place to crash for a night.
Awesome! Thanks a bunch Klub Class! Will plan to crash here for the night when I drive back home next weekend. A lodging closer to the NH4 was precisely what I wanted and the only one that suited my plan was Naveen Regency at Chitradurga and this was located on the other side of the highway + stretching the total distance to almost 1020 km.
Old 21st March 2016, 13:26   #1909
BHPian

Hi Team-BHP,

I will be driving to Coorg from Mumbai on March 24 with my wife on our Bolt. Planning an overnight stay at Hassan (Hotel Southern Star), and then leave next day for Coorg (after breakfast at around 8-8.30 AM). The first leg seems a bit herculean with ~950 KMs. Will leave early, definitely around 4.30 AM from Mumbai. I have few questions and looking for a response from the experienced folks on this route:
- Where should I leave NH4 for Hassan? Should it be after Devangere (as per Google maps) or Hiriyur (I feel its better to stay on NH4 for as long as possible)?
- On Saturday (March 26th), I need to be in Bangalore by 8 PM latest. When should I start from Coorg (Exact location: Murnad road, Mekeri Village in Coorg)?
- Wanted to drive through Nagarhole national park on my way to Bangalore. Will it be possible to accommodate this given a hectic schedule?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right forum. Tried looking for an active Mumbai-Coorg-Bangalore-Mumbai thread but could not locate any.
Old 21st March 2016, 13:59   #1910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
- Where should I leave NH4 for Hassan? Should it be after Devangere (as per Google maps) or Hiriyur (I feel its better to stay on NH4 for as long as possible)?
For the preference over that bold part, you need to deviate from NH4 at Hiriyur and then head towards Nelligere where you turn right at the intersection back onto a beautiful 4 lane highway. Hassan from here will be 90 minutes affair at max.

Since you have already decided to stay at Hassan, the usual route to Coorg from here will be Hassan - Holenarasipura - KR Nagar - Hunsur (and not KR Nagar - Elwala - Hunsur). The KR Nagar - Hunsur section is all done now and breeze to drive. I drove 4 weeks before.

Quote:
- On Saturday (March 26th), I need to be in Bangalore by 8 PM latest. When should I start from Coorg (Exact location: Murnad road, Mekeri Village in Coorg)?
On a Saturday, the traffic between Mysore and Bangalore wont be that bad a Sunday evening. So budget around 6.5-7 Hours in total. It means, you start from your Origin between 1-2PM to reach Bangalore by 8PM (Bangalore = Your final destination).

Quote:
- Wanted to drive through Nagarhole national park on my way to Bangalore. Will it be possible to accommodate this given a hectic schedule?
With an early start, you very much can as you only have to reach Bangalore on that Saturday.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:16   #1911
BHPian

Appreciate the prompt response

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Since you have already decided to stay at Hassan, the usual route to Coorg from here will be Hassan - Holenarasipura - KR Nagar - Hunsur (and not KR Nagar - Elwala - Hunsur). The KR Nagar - Hunsur section is all done now and breeze to drive. I drove 4 weeks before.
I do have the flexibility to change the layover point from Hassan to a better alternative if it minimizes the detour to Coorg.
Old 21st March 2016, 14:39   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
I do have the flexibility to change the layover point from Hassan to a better alternative if it minimizes the detour to Coorg.
In that case, you could actually halt at Mysore itself. Makes much sense. The challenge here is Hiriyur - Nelligere - Mysore stretch which doesn't have any good places to stay that I can recommend.

A new one has recently come up at Bellur Cross but I am wary about it to suggest the same. The famous Mayura at Bellur cross also has lodging facility attached to it that I have seen it myself where we arranged a foreign national walking for a case to settle for the night. He never complained but the negative about this place is that they don't have AC and with present summer, you need AC.

So, even if its a bit of detour, Hassan makes perfect sense as the options there are aplenty.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 14:47   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So, even if its a bit of detour, Hassan makes perfect sense as the options there are aplenty.
Exactly the reason why I chose Hassan. Thanks for all the pointers. I already have a copy of your Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai eateries and pumps list.
aviat18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 16:26   #1914
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am planning a road trip to Madikeri (Coorg), Ooty from Pune probably on 12th May 2016. I need your advice on the route to Madikeri (Coorg) and Ooty. In the month of December 2015, I had travelled to Goa and had returned to Pune via Chorla Ghat-Belgaum route. So I have an idea about the road till Belgaum. I will be travelling in my Innova and it will be a cool, calm and composed driving, as this road trip will decide the fate of my future road trips. Any rash or irrational driving will convert my road trips to Flight trips as I am accompanied by my family. Other important thing, I am the only one going to drive during the entire trip. I would like to know the following queries-

1. I will be doing the said trip with family. I am going to have a overnight stay at Hubali-Dharwad. Can someone name a good family hotel for overnight stay? Also how long will it take to reach Hubali-Dharwad. I am seriously not positive of the stretch from Pune till Satara due to diversions. I have already added extra 1 hour for the said distance.

2. I would like to keep the journey in such a way that, my parents do not get tired sitting in the car. So I thought of stopping at Hubali-Dharwad. If my parents are not travelling with me, in that event, I am planning to drive till Davangere and have a overnight stop at Davangere. Any good hotel at Davangere. I read about Sankama Boutique Hotel in this thread.

3. While travelling from Hubali-Dharwad to Madikeri, the right exit points which will make the driving more pleasurable. I will be using Google Maps.

4. While returning back from Ooty to Pune, I have planned that, I would have a overnight stay at Mangalore/Mangaluru and on the next day proceed to Hubali-Dharwad. The reason for staying over at Mangalore is the coastal road which I have not seen till now. I am eager to see the coastal road which till now I have seen on Youtube. How is the road condition from Mangalore to Hubali Dharwad. Any good hotel in Mangalore?

5. Also please suggest some good hotels at Madikeri and Ooty.

6. Please mention the approximate time required for covering the distances. Pune – Hubali Dharwad-
Hubali-Dharwad to Madikeri-
Madikeri-Ooty
Ooty-Mangalore
Mangalore-Hubali-Dharwad
I will be leaving Pune at 6am and from the hotels after overnight stay at about 8-9am. Any suggestions?

If any questions crop up in my mind, I would post it here and look forward for advice from the members.
Old 19th April 2016, 20:14   #1915
BHPian

Hi folks

Any COCO diesel pumps around Ranebennur or Harihar before I turn towards Chikmagalur ?
Old 21st April 2016, 16:48   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Hi folks

Any COCO diesel pumps around Ranebennur or Harihar before I turn towards Chikmagalur ?

Dude, a simple search on the thread would have given you the answer. Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255
agd19682 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:18   #1917
BHPian

Pune to Bhandup West route query

Hi Forum,

Apologies for the late query, this came rather suddenly this evening.

So I have to accompany a friend to Bhandup West for an interview tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m.

Google says its around 3 hours 5 mins from my house in Pune. To be on the safe side, I am planning to leave at 5 a.m. Is that ample time to reach Bhandup west from Pune?

Could someone who does this route more often, touch upon the basic route for me please? Are there are gotchas I need to be aware of?

Any good eateries on the way, or back? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance forum.

Regards
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:23   #1918
BHPian

Re: Pune to Bhandup West route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Google says its around 3 hours 5 mins from my house in Pune.
I do Pune-Thane in 2:30 hours non-stop while staying within speed limits.
Bhandup shoudl take the same time +-10 mins.

I would advice you to leave at 5 AM, take a break at Food Mall or some other place on the way have breakfast and then proceed to Bhandup.

All the best!

Last edited by freedom : 23rd April 2016 at 23:24.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 12:11   #1919
BHPian

While coming back to Pune stop at the first food mall at Expressway. Try Dosa Plaza. They have some very good varieties of Dosa. After leaving Bhandup you might have covered fair distance and a break would be good for you. Stopping at 2nd Food Mall will be of no use as distance from there to Pune is less. Also car will get a breather before Ghat and you can get a break to stretch your legs.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 21:30   #1920
BHPian

Folks who have traveled between Pune and Bangalore recently, is the fast tag scheme active on tolls on this route?

I am planning a trip in mid May and if possible, would like to save some time usually spent in toll Plaza queues.

Kindly advise.

Most Viewed