Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 23:13   #2131
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

This was at Khambatki ghat ( Pune -- Satara ) on 15th June due to heavy downpour and since the hills have been cut for widening of the road.
Video credits - respective owners
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 00:41   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
This was at Khambatki ghat ( Pune -- Satara ) on 15th June due to heavy downpour and since the hills have been cut for widening of the road.
Video credits - respective owners
Any update on this route? I travel quite frequently on this stretch. Looks scary.

Last edited by ampere : 19th June 2017 at 06:55. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Old 19th June 2017, 11:36   #2133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Any update on this route? I travel quite frequently on this stretch. Looks scary.
It is cleared. It lasted for a while and everything is normal.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 10:40   #2134
BHPian

Minor updates and trip report of a quick solo drive from Belgaum to Mumbai that I had yesterday in our VW Polo ( 480 kms till destination ). Nothing significant to report apart from the fact that most of the Satara--Pune section is ready with it's 6 lanes that has reduced travel time considerably. Road from Belgaum to Kolhapur remains fantastic as always. Kolhapur to Karad to Satara is a bliss as well with it's supersmooth tarmac and immaculate lane markings and rumblers all the way. I literally did a non stop drive all the way except for a 3 mins stop at Kini toll.

03:40 a.m - started from my home in Belgaum
03:51 a.m - touched NH4
04:51 a.m - reached Kolhapur ( start of the bypass )
05:40 a.m - crossed Karad
06:15 a.m - crossed Satara
07:15 a.m - reached Khed Shivapur toll, Pune
07:20 a.m to 07:50 a.m - crossing Pune bypass
07:50 a.m - entered Pune--Mumbai expressway
09:05 a.m - touched entry point of Mumbai (Panvel)
10:15 a.m - at home in Mumbai

Since roads were mostly clear early morning till Pune, was able to do Belgaum--Pune in 3.5 hours and thereby Belgaum--Mumbai ( Panvel ) in 5 hours 15 mins. It did not rain as well anywhere. I was driving constantly between 100-110 kmph and did not go beyond the 120 mark at any point. Due to lesser instances of gear shifts and constant driving pattern, I got a good mileage of 17.5 kmpl in my Polo ( petrol ). This was without AC as there was no need of it. This was my fifth long drive in Polo ( 500 kms at a stretch each time ) ever since we bought it in Feb'17, third time on Belgaum--Mumbai sector.

Though Maharashtra has received heavy rains last month, road conditions remain very very good. The pending stretches on Satara--Pune for 6 laning would easily take another 9 months atleast, given their pathetic pace of work. I cannot conclude this post without mentioning about the scenic beauty of Western Ghats along NH4 in Maharashtra that has come alive in this monsoons. Since there were no rains nor thick fog, but only lush greenery all around, I enjoyed every km of the drive.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:40   #2135
BHPian

Drove solo in Polo from Mumbai to Belgaum and here are some monsoon updates -

1. Mumbai--Pune Expressway remains fabulous as always. Only that for the first time in 15 years, a couple of medium sized potholes have cropped up around Lonavala over the tarmac stretches because of extremely heavy rains that had occurred over the last fortnight. However the authorities have already sprung into action of laying down new tar in form of patchwork. I can't describe in words the lovely weather and superb vistas that made the Expressway drive blissful.

2. Food carnival that was earlier a small hotel beyond Urse--Talegaon toll has now been newly built. It is now a large spacious hotel and relatively economical as compared to other food malls on E-way. I had the traditional Maharastrian food - "Pitla Bhakri " which was very tasty. Price - 130 bucks. I would anyday prefer eating such food than McDs or Domino's.
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20170726_162533.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20170726_161120.jpg

3.Pune city bypass is good 6 lane for 95% part and with only one diversion now.

At Katraj new tunnel, Pune
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20170726_171550.jpg

4. New "Shell" fuel station is coming up at Pune, just about a km or so beyond Khed Shivapur toll ( on left side going towards Kolhapur ).

5.Pune -- Satara : Good new roads all the way, 90% 6 lane roads. Pending stretches would take another year though to get completed. Lovely drive along the hills.

At Khambatki ghat
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20170726_181449.jpg

6. Satara -- Kolhapur -- Absolutely fantastic smooth roads despite heavy rains in recent past. Lush greenery all around.

7. Kolhapur -- Belgaum -- Top class as always ; Covered this part at night.

In short, the roads are very good all the way, no potholes anywhere. Just about three or four short rough stretches spanning 50-80 metres between Pune and Satara. I was flagged down by highway traffic police twice for general checking - at Khed Shivapur toll and just before Khambatki ghat. Had a very positive experience with the cops, they spoke politely, checked the documents quickly and let me go.

Started at 1.43 pm and exited Mumbai metropolis completely by 2.48 pm and reached Belgaum at 9.48 pm. This includes a total of 1 hour break in between.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:29   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Drove solo in Polo from Mumbai to Belgaum and here are some monsoon updates -

Your post comes at an opportune time. I am driving tomorrow in my humble WagonR from Mumbai to Kolhapur. Can you please guide me on one thing ::

1. Which fuel stations did you use to fuel up ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 27th July 2017, 16:42   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. New "Shell" fuel station is coming up at Pune, just about a km or so beyond Khed Shivapur toll ( on left side going towards Kolhapur ).
This shell fuel station was operational earlier & is in shutdown state for quite some time. Perhaps due to recent daily revision of fuel prices, it would get operational again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Few options, primarily BPCL as that's my choice most of the times.

BPCL outlet just after 2nd toll(Talegaon) on e-way
Shell outlet at Warje, Pune just after the only diversion on NH4 bypass
BPCL outlets before & after Khed-shivapur toll
BPCL outlet just before Hotel Sai International at Yelur
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:16   #2138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
This shell fuel station was operational earlier & is in shutdown state for quite some time. Perhaps due to recent daily revision of fuel prices, it would get operational again.
True. I used to fill here at this Shell Station way back in 2009-10 when I drove Pune Bangalore almost every alternate weekend.

And later this shut down, owing to unknown reasons as other Shell stations were very much operational in Pune and it was sometime in 2010 itself that the attendant here said she can only check oil and clean the windscreen as they won't sell fuel anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Here's the list: You can refer to the first post on this thread.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th July 2017 at 17:28.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:23   #2139
BHPian

@sukiwa , @paragsachania

Completed my first long drive in my humble 2012 WagonR, did a round trip of Mumbai-Kolhapur-Mumbai over the weekend. From Mumbai to Kolhapur, we had to meet a friend at Hadapsar, so from Hadapsar instead of coming via usual Swargate -Katraj route, we came via dive ghat, Purandar, balaji mandir and joined the NH4 just after Khed-shivpur toll. Return journey was usual route. The Waggy performed flawlessly and the new Bridgestone B290 shoes that she was wearing did a great job in car handling.

Thank you for all your kind inputs

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 13:30   #2140

I am planning to drive from Pune to Bangalore next week with my Family. Could anyone please help with good stop over Suggestions for Breakfast, Lunch and etc.
Old 1st August 2017, 16:08   #2141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post
I am planning to drive from Pune to Bangalore next week with my Family. Could anyone please help with good stop over Suggestions for Breakfast, Lunch and etc.
Please look at Post #1 on this thread where Parag's post from elsewhere on this thread has been quoted - that has pretty much covered all aspects of breaks for food and fuel on this route
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:58   #2142
BHPian

Don't know if it's updated here, but there's a new place called "Hotel Upadhaya" just few KM after the 6 lane ends when entering Chitradurga town (going towards Hubli), it's on the right hand side. Nice place, clean toilets, good food and great service. It is about 4 months old.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 9th August 2017, 14:40   #2143
BHPian

what would be a good drive/route from Bangalore to Mumbai. any preferred pit stop for a day's stay on the route.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:55   #2144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
what would be a good drive/route from Bangalore to Mumbai.
Fastest and most straightforward route:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Satara - Pune - Expressway - Panvel - Navi Mumbai - Mumbai (Destination)

~975-1000 kms depending on your ultimate destination and around 14-16 Hours based on the time you depart, breaks you take and the day you start!

Quote:
any preferred pit stop for a day's stay on the route.
This post should give you all details on where to stop (to eat) and where to fill up your tank:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255

If you are planning to halt overnight, Hubli (6h, 400 kms), Belgaum (7.5h, 500 kms) or Kolhapur (9h, 600 Kms) would be ideal destination for Leg 1 of your journey based on when you start and how much you can drive in a day..

- Hubli has plenty of options but quite popular ones are Clarks Inn, Ayodhya etc

- Belgaum has Sankam, Ramdev and Fairfield by Marriott

- Kolhapur has aplenty with Opal and more

For hotels, you can look out for popular portals and take the best deicision.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 06:52   #2145
BHPian

Quote:

5.Pune -- Satara : Good new roads all the way, 90% 6 lane roads. Pending stretches would take another year though to get completed. Lovely drive along the hills.
Name:  NHAI.PNG
Views: 1629
Size:  7.1 KB
NHAI website claims completion in Dec. 2017 which clearly looks like not going to happen. Just check the original planned completion date as against the expected date Just goes to show the painful speed at which road projects are happening in India.

NHAI phase V - This link also shows that the entire stretch from Chitradurga to Hubli is planned to be 6-lane though no work has started yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks