Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2018, 03:13   #2281
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

I drove back today from Belgaum to Mumbai, solo again. Started at 3:11 pm from my home ( Bhagyanagar,Belgaum), touched NH4 highway at 3:40 pm and reached my flat in Mumbai ( Mulund ) at 10:40 pm -- total distance 483 kms. It was a near non stop drive except for 10 mins stop for tea and twice further 3 mins each when I was flagged down by cops for checking the documents. I was let off quickly after producing the same. Road conditions remain absolutely superb. Some intermittent rough patches between Satara and Pune but nothing really to worry about. All through the journey, I achieved an FE of 17.5--18.3 kmpl on my VW Polo petrol.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20180908_224314.jpg  

Last edited by vivek95 : 9th September 2018 at 03:16.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:50   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

End of Mumbai Expressway to Mumbai and vice versa route updates, the Mumbra bypass has been reopened, which corresponds to lesser truck traffic which was creating a havoc on the Thane Belapur road.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65776208.cms
Old 19th September 2018, 14:05   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Having started from Bangalore and Mumbai/Pune at various hours in the last 12 years, All I can say is that there are 3 best times to leave from Bangalore : 0400, 1300 and 2200. These 3 starting times help you beat most of the bottlenecks with ease and help reach your destination on time, without need for speeding and with all your breaks.
Hey Parag,guys....any suggestions on when I should leave from Mumbai for a non-stop ride to Bangalore? Total of 993 kms from my place in Andheri which I intend to complete in around 16 hours with 4-5 breaks in between.

Have done the Mumbai - S.Goa in May via Belgaum (650km) which took about 10 hours. Hoping that the better roads for the Belgaum Bangalore stretch will let me reach bangalore in about 16. Was intending the leave from Mumbai at 4 AM, will that help me avoid congestion in Bangalore in the evening? ANy suggestions will be appreciated
Old 19th September 2018, 14:43   #2284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hey Parag,guys....any suggestions on when I should leave from Mumbai for a non-stop ride to Bangalore? Total of 993 kms from my place in Andheri which I intend to complete in around 16 hours with 4-5 breaks in between.
When you say Ride, I shouldn't presume that you will drive. In which case, 0400 is a perfect time to depart from Mumbai.

I wouldn't advise riding in the dark mainly because of few diversions between Pune and Satara. By starting from Mumbai at 0400, you will see day light in the next 90-120 minutes, by the time you will be nearing Pune and as well cross it before the peak traffic starts building up here.

You could then plan to stop by for Breakfast anywhere near or after Khedshivpur (0700/0800) and then stop by for lunch at Belgaum (1230/1330), for a snack break anywhere near Ranebennur or Davanagere and ride non stop to Bangalore and reach by 2030/2100 which again would be a good time to enter Bangalore.

I am not sure about the average you will hit but what is mentioned above is with decent cruising speeds (100/110) all the way and with no stopping at tolls since you are on a Bike, you might as well end up reaching a little earlier than this too.

EDIT: Looking at your signature, I should presume you will easily be able to maintain very good average speeds and that would mean you might take anywhere between 14-15 hours at MAX to reach Bangalore with all your breaks.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th September 2018 at 14:45.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 17:29   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
you will easily be able to maintain very good average speeds and that would mean you might take anywhere between 14-15 hours at MAX to reach Bangalore with all your breaks.
Thanks a lot for the response Parag, this helps! Hopefully, I won't reach too early and face the dreaded Bengaluru traffic
Old 19th September 2018, 17:58   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hopefully, I won't reach too early and face the dreaded Bengaluru traffic
Your checkpoint should be when you are nearing Sira (120 away from Bangalore). Ideally, it is around 2.5-3 Hours of time it takes from here to reach the first traffic light (ORR/Taj Vivanta) after entering Bangalore on a normal weekday evening. You can decide to play safe and take a longer break in case you realise that your current location at the time you are at Sira will make you reach Bangalore during Peak hours.

I see this as an important decision because you would not want to tire your back and pain your wrists and fingers crawling the last 1 hour to reach your destination after riding nearly 1000 kms that day.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 18:11   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the average you will hit but what is mentioned above is with decent cruising speeds (100/110) all the way and with no stopping at tolls since you are on a Bike, you might as well end up reaching a little earlier than this too.
I can very well vouch Parag's statement about reaching in 14-15 hrs max if you start in the early hours of the day, having done the opposite trip just 1 week back (Parag - thanks again for your suggestion for my trip).
I, unfortunately hit a slight hiccup in the form of a flat tyre, which took up a good 2 hours to find a repair shop and fix it. Even with this setback, I was able to make the trip with food breaks in 16 hours flat while maintaining a 110-120 kmph most of the time.

My distance was pretty similar too, Whitefield to Andheri - 1017 kms.

The road is pretty much well paved apart from 50 odd kms after Pune.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. Have a great one!
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 11:26   #2288
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a Bangalore - Ajanta - Ellora - Bangalore drive from November 6th to November 11th.

Here is the current plan

Nov 6th - Bangalore - Pune
Nov 7th - Pune -Aurangabad
Nov 8th - Aurangabad - Ellora -Aurangabad
Nov 9th - AUrangabad- Ajanta -Aurangabad
Nov 10th - Aurangabad - Hubli/Belgaum
Nov 11th - Hubli/Belgaum to Bangalore

Can anybody please suggest decent accommodation with safe car parking near Pune and current condition of the road. I would have liked to try the Hyderabad - Aurangabad route while going/return but am not sure of the road conditions. Any updates on that also would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 11:38   #2289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Can anybody please suggest decent accommodation with safe car parking near Pune and current condition of the road.
The road conditions haven't gone bad since quite a few months and when I talk about conditions, its strictly the Satara - Pune section that is undergoing 6 lane work that is nearly complete with few diversions.

EDIT: And should I also add Chitradurga - Hubli as well into the list of work in progress sections (6 lane) although the diversions are bare minimum as yet and negligible.

In short, I would still say that the road conditions should be your last worry for Pune to decide whether to drive or take any other mode of transport.

Regarding stay options in Pune, it will be ideal for you to stay in areas closer to Nagar Road(Ahmadnagar road) so its easier to get out of the city even if its little late rather than traversing through the city.

So look for hotels around Kharadi, Wagholi & Viman Nagar. Online portals are best to look for one.

Quote:
I would have liked to try the Hyderabad - Aurangabad route while going/return but am not sure of the road conditions. Any updates on that also would be appreciated.
mkpsuhas had driven on this route via Nanded and has penned his Travelogue here.

Also, since I recently (about a month back) drove to Jabalpur from Bangalore, the updates on Hyderabad-Nizambad section from the quoted post below should help you:

Quote:
Hyderabad – Adilabad:
  • Maximum stretch from Hyderabad to Adilabad remains in super good and super fast conditions devoid of much traffic as usual
  • Few sections between Nizambad – Nirmal – Adilabad have deleoped potholes or rough surfaces owing to recent rains – Focus advised

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st October 2018 at 11:43.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 09:14   #2290
BHPian

Is there any good restaurant or cafe such as CCD which remains open whole night in the Bangalore - Hubli section? I'll be starting around 1.00 AM from my home near Marathalli towards Hubli (my actual destination is Goa ) with few relatives (ladies and kids included) and may need to use restroom facilities. How long should it take to reach Hubli with couple of restroom breaks?
Old 7th October 2018, 09:36   #2291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any good restaurant or cafe such as CCD which remains open whole night in the Bangalore - Hubli section? I'll be starting around 1.00 AM from my home near Marathalli towards Hubli (my actual destination is Goa ) with few relatives (ladies and kids included) and may need to use restroom facilities. How long should it take to reach Hubli with couple of restroom breaks?
The CCD near Dabaspet remains open 24x7.

Then you have one before Davanagere bypass that also remains open 24x7 and attached to IOCL outlet.

After this there is one at Shiggaon attached to Garuda Hotel that remains open 24x7. All of these on the left hand side.

There are few on the right hand side as well but I guess these 3 will suffice for your needs as they are placed at 50, 200 and 360 Kms from Bangalore in the order mentioned above.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 00:48   #2292
BHPian

Hi folks, posing a few questions, and i hope this is the right forum to do so.

Firstly, an addition to the useful information here ref the Mumbai to Belgaum route which I know very well (we often take the Bhimgad route to Goa). A great homestay is Digvijay residency in Kolhapur, they're on AirBnB. Approx 2300 bucks for a family of 4, without breakfast. Reach late and leave early, just what you need to break journey. It's just 5 mins off the highway. Very simple place but works well for us.

So, now to my questions:
We're driving Mumbai to Cochin in December, with kids in a utility vehicle. Night halts planned at Belgaum and Calicut so we can enjoy NH17 views with minimal temporal stress.

What's the road condition from Belgaum to Calicut like? Any suggested meal stops en route? An early start at 4am should work, I'm guessing this route has less heavy vehicle traffic?
Old 8th October 2018, 05:59   #2293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
What's the road condition from Belgaum to Calicut like? Any suggested meal stops en route? An early start at 4am should work, I'm guessing this route has less heavy vehicle traffic?
It may turn out to be a long drive for one day probably. For the routing, I would suggest using NH4-Hiriyur-Neligere-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Calicut option. And I would also suggest a break at Mysore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:39   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It may turn out to be a long drive for one day probably. For the routing, I would suggest using NH4-Hiriyur-Neligere-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Calicut option. And I would also suggest a break at Mysore.
Thank you Ampere.

Given time and kids energy constraints (3 full days driving), we've broken the journey into 'big' and 'small' driving days. Can't change the stops unfortunately, so Belgaum to Calicut in 1 'big' day it must be! The family is very roadworthy, 17-18 hours end to end is quite manageable. Ref routing, NH17 is a highlight of the trip, would hate to miss that, even at the cost of an hour or so extra drive time.

Hoping for some tips ref the Belgaum - Calicut route please
Old 12th October 2018, 05:42   #2295
BHPian

Re: Goregaon > JP Nagar(B'lore)?

I have to drive our swift VDi from Mumbai(Goregaon) to Bangalore(JP Nagar) on this coming sunday.

Could you please let me know what's the best time to leave Mumbai, so that I can be at the least, around the outskirts of B'lore by the same evening?

If I can NOT do this on the same day, any good budget overnight stay options around Belgaum OR Hubli preferably on the Highway?

Please suggest!

Most Viewed