Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 07:23   #2311
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
What would be a good time to leave from yelahanka to beat the traffic all the way till Mumbai? I don't mind driving in the night but any day time departure suggestions is the first choice else am open.
Also in the return journey what would be the ideal time to drive down.pls let me know.thanks
Start time from Bangalore - For a day time drive, between 3am and 4am
For a night drive, between 7pm and 8pm would be good (get a good start before buses start from Bangalore, if not tend to get stuck at toll plazas)

Start time from (Navi) Mumbai - For a day time drive, start around 4am
For a night drive, start around 6pm (a friend does this regularly).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 08:44   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Hey guys- planning to drive down to Mumbai this week on a weekday - Thursday. I would be driving from Yelahanka and destination is Seawoods in Navi Mumbai.
Its a solo drive and I plan to drive down non-stop ( excluding eat and bio stops).
What would be a good time to leave from yelahanka to beat the traffic all the way till Mumbai? I don't mind driving in the night but any day time departure suggestions is the first choice else am open.
Also in the return journey what would be the ideal time to drive down.pls let me know.thanks

If you intend to beat the traffic all the way from Bangalore till Mumbai and since you don't mind driving at night , I would suggest a noon departure of 2 pm from Bangalore. This ensures you enter Maharashtra around 10 pm and make your way past Kolhapur-Pune to reach Seawoods, Navi Mumbai by 4 a.m. Maharashtra is the actual high traffic zone on NH4, so crossing this sector beyond 10 pm would mean relatively less traffic. Don't worry about the traffic on NH4 in Karnataka, it's not one bit heavy on any sector once you are about 100 kms away from Bangalore. Maharashtra is a different ballgame altogether ( read high traffic levels ), hence the reason to cross it at night.

On the way back, start at 4 a.m from Seawoods, Navi Mumbai and get past Pune--Kolhapur stretch by 10 a.m. You might encounter some traffic further down while entering Bangalore limits around 6pm.

Last edited by vivek95 : 24th October 2018 at 08:47.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 08:55   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
If you intend to beat the traffic all the way from Bangalore till Mumbai and since you don't mind driving at night , I would suggest a noon departure of 2 pm from Bangalore.
Perfect!! I was trying to locate a post I made on this thread about various times to depart from both ends to beat the maximum bottlenecks throughout the journey.

My favorite apart from 0400 is always 1PM for the reasons you mentioned:

- Relatively easy exit from Bangalore
- Gliding entry and drive after Kolhapur all the way till Navi Mumbai

1PM works the best when you have concerns of beating the Kolhapur - Pune section and it is such a breeze to pass this at that time of the night. However, as always, not everyone will be comfortable to drive around this time of the day so it wont be applicable for all.

Talking about Bangalore to Navi Mumbai (Seawoods), here is one drive we did last year to the exact destination (diagonally opposite to NMMC Building) with a 4:40AM start from Sanjaynagar:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-stats.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On last Saturday, I drove Bangalore - Mumbai (Vashi) to drop a friend's Ecosport. Here are some significant updates on the route:
Of course, there were quite a few drives after this too with recent one in July but since the destination was Seawoods and the departure was in the morning.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th October 2018 at 08:56.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 09:11   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Talking about Bangalore to Navi Mumbai (Seawoods), here is one drive we did last year to the exact destination (diagonally opposite to NMMC Building) with a 4:40AM start from Sanjaynagar:
Those are fabulous numbers. Was it your Ertiga and how many passengers? I was planning to drive down to Mumbai (Dahisar) from Bangalore this 1st Nov. But dropped, due to the home minister's suggestion to go by Flight.

My past two journeys from Bangalore to Mumbai and back in 2010 and 2011 took close to 15-16 hours one way door to door including breaks. But that was when some railway overbridges were still being constructed and Harihar bypass was not completed. Guess the situation is better now.

Last edited by hrman : 24th October 2018 at 09:13.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:23   #2315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Those are fabulous numbers. Was it your Ertiga and how many passengers?
This was from an Ecosport. A couple friend of mine and then me behind the wheels. However, the numbers don't differ much from the Ertiga.

To be honest, my cruising speeds always remain between 110-120 KMPH all the times on this route and perhaps drops to 100 KMPH on the Expressway just to ensure there are no incidents during the last leg after that 850 Kms run beyond Pune.

It is all about a good start, right breaks without spending time hunting for places. In fact, whenever I have driven Bangalore - Ahmedabad non-stop, I have started from Bangalore at 0400 and crossed Thane by 1730 and I am on the highway leading to Gujarat already. This works because I don't stop anywhere between Pune and Mumbai and if I did, I would enter Mumbai during evening peak hours.

Quote:
But that was when some railway overbridges were still being constructed and Harihar bypass was not completed.
Yes. My maximum drives from Pune was during this time but I mostly departed from Pune around 10PM to beat the mess around the Ranebennur and Haveri Railway crossings which was a nightmare anyway. I still remember that my fastest Pune - Bangalore then was in 10.5 Hours and in my WagonR with just one refueling break.

Talking about cruising speeds and time taken to do the distances, I still say that one need not be fast at all and just remain consistent. Sample this, from a return drive from Pune this year, where I reached home in one tank of fuel, never exceeded 100 KMPH except once.

This was from Pune Bypass till 8th Mile (Hesarghatta) junction:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-geotracker20180211231055.jpg

You can notice It was just 9h45m of actual driving time for this one.

So in reality, what you drive wont matter as long as you remain consistent right from that 1st Km of your trip to the last 50 km as well. I have seen so many who pass me at breckneck speeds while I am happily cruising and then I see them stop quite a few times or in the end meet me at that last booth before destination .
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 10:31   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was from an Ecosport. A couple friend of mine and then me behind the wheels. However, the numbers don't differ much from the Ertiga.

So in reality, what you drive wont matter as long as you remain consistent right from that 1st Km of your trip to the last 50 km as well. I have seen so many who pass me at breckneck speeds while I am happily cruising and then I see them stop quite a few times or in the end meet me at that last booth before destination .
Thanks. BTW, what app is that whose screenshots you have posted? Looks pretty comprehensive.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 10:37   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Thanks. BTW, what app is that whose screenshots you have posted? Looks pretty comprehensive.
The first one is nothing but a detailed image created from the inputs captured from the MID of the Ecosport. The one posted after that is from an app called 'Geotracker' which I replaced when 'MyTracks' shut down.

However, since most of my journeys last over 10 hours, I prefer to use my good old MapMyIndia navigator just to log the journey and after that I extract the log file and read the contents from many options available online. It is even more comprehensive.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-blrseoni.png

Heats the phone less, works independently and logs more accurately as a GPS device with more information.

Update between Bangalore and till end of Dharwad Bypass from my recent drive to Goa:
  • 6 lane work in progress between Chitradurga and Hubli, a distance of 200 Kms

• Between Chitradurga and Davanagere there are 4-5 diversions that I could count and between Bankapura and Hubli there were 2 - One at Shiggaon and another at Ramanakop

• The condition of each of these diversions is 'Good' and there is nothing to worry. Road surface of just one diversion (Ramanakop) was little bad but again nothing to be worried about

• Almost all of these diversions are well marked, you notice the signs much in advance, they have no speedbreakers right at the beginning of the diversions, so you really need not come to a dead stop before negotiating this but always better to remain in control for surprises

• Special advise to Bangalore cars returning from Goa - Please have patience; The long trailers or loaded trucks can't give you way to overtake when on a narrow lane for they also have to get into the diversion and get back to main corridor taking care of the humongous load and longer footprint negotiating the bends at both the ends

• Deteriorating conditions between Chitradurga and Haveri : The top layer has become patchy but not so bad that you will bend your rim or you will have to brake at the last minute. I doubt if they will relay this entirely knowing that 6 lane work is also in progress. But this is not as bad it is perceived to be

• FASTag: Worked perfectly in each toll. While I mentioned earlier that both Hebbalu and Chalegere tolls have all lanes enabled with FASTag (with no dedicated lane), even the Karjeevanahalli toll apart from a dedicated lane has all lanes enabled for FASTag

New Shell outlet near Hubli (Yet to open) : This is located towards Bangalore and around 12-14 kms after Hubli Circle. By the looks, I am sure it may be anything between a week of a fortnight before it is thrown open to public. Makes a good stop, especially for Shell aficionados who swear nothing but Shell and need a good stop 385 kms before Bangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th October 2018 at 10:52.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 11:49   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update between Bangalore and till end of Dharwad Bypass from my recent drive to Goa:
Considering your regular and recent drives, you are the best person who can help me with some suggestions. Of course other bhpians welcome to contribute!

I am looking for a place to drive to with my family for a few days. Usually we have our Goa trip, but we have been there just a few weeks ago.

Driving distance from Pune - Around 500-550 kms
Driving time from Pune - around 9 hours at the most; I don't drive at night, nor do I cross 120. We don't mind staying overnight at a safe place to break the journey.

The trouble is that we are bang in the middle of what I feel is one of the worst sections of the GQ. Especially the Pune - Khambatki section. Though there are some interesting places to see in North Karnataka, I am leaning towards Gujarat. I am told it is also suitable to visit during winter. In terms of road conditions, would you recommend Pune - Gujarat over Pune - North Karnataka?

If nothing else works, we will probably do the Aurangabad or Nashik circuit. Appreciate your inputs!
Old 24th October 2018, 12:08   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
would you recommend Pune - Gujarat over Pune - North Karnataka?
Since it is 500 Kms, A trip towards Gujarat, keeping it strictly till Ahmedabad is not at all a bad idea. This way you get to cover couple of POIs:
  • Sardar Sarovar Dam
  • The beautiful City of Vadodara itself
  • Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar that has lots to offer in terms of sight seeing
  • Sun Temple at Modhera and stepwell at Adalaj and more
This itinerary works in favor of your restricted requirement of 500 Km but honestly it might be little above this cap as you start from Pune. Also time wise I normally take 7-8 hours to Ahmedabad from Ghodbunder (Thane) and yes, not exceeding 120 and rather keeping it under 110.

However, mind you that the GJ circuit will be busier if you are intending do to during Diwali. I had done that with family and the roads were indeed busy. Lot of cars heading out of Mumbai to Gujarat during festive season to celebrate more than sight seeing. So expect good traffic throughout which in general also is always busy with equal numbers of cars as trucks on a normal day.
But witnessing the festival of lights during Diwali is a different feeling - The while of Vapi - Vadodara section of the GQ will be dotted with artificial lights hugging each of the commercial, industrial and residential building as you pass the towns and cities over the bypasses.

Weather wise, it will be pleasant and not chilly. The only time I experienced chilled weather was when I drove to GJ in Jan (Sankranti).

If you do the North Karnataka Circuit, it is again going to be pleasant. There will be lot that you can cover with the Hampi, Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal circuit.

Quote:
If nothing else works, we will probably do the Aurangabad or Nashik circuit. Appreciate your inputs!
Again, a good time to drive around this side. Since my folks stay at Aurangabad too, I always like being here during winters than summers. We had done the Aurangabad, Ajanta, Ellora, Mehesman circuit during 2015 Diwali holidays.

All in all, you have a lot of choices.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 10:26   #2320
BHPian

Has the Indian Paratha Company closed down? We stopped there during the morning of the Dushera weekend and the gate was closed and not a single person in sight. Wondering what happened.
Old 31st October 2018, 16:23   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an attempt, a comprehensive one, as much as I could to include details regarding Food & Fuel options between Mumbai - Pune- Bangalore
Hi Parag,

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Any recent additions/modification to the list.

thanks.
Old 31st October 2018, 17:19   #2322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hi Parag,

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Any recent additions/modification to the list.

thanks.
Bangalore - Pune Sector:Guess these should suffice including the main list for you when driving towards Pune?

Apart from these, here is the post that shows locations of Cafe Coffee Days:

Quote:
So, keeping only the Sira - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad Sector in mind, which is a distance of approximately 320 Kms, here are the Cafe Coffee Day outlets that should help travelers immensely from cleaner rest room perspective:
  1. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Sira Bypass, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 125 kms before Bangalore - Location
  2. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Davanagere Bypass, Bangalore-Pune corridor, 265 kms from Bangalore - Location
  3. Cafe Coffee Day - Between Motebennur & Ranebennur, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 315 kms before Bangalore - Location
  4. Cafe Coffee Day - Shiggaon, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 360 Kms from Bangalore - Location
  5. Cafe Coffee Day - Belur Industrial Estate, Dharwad, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 435 kms from Bangalore - Location
Hope these help!

So I had mentioned about a new SHELL coming up after Hubli towards Bangalore on my post few days back.

Quote:
New Shell outlet near Hubli (Yet to open) : This is located towards Bangalore and around 12-14 kms after Hubli Circle. By the looks, I am sure it may be anything between a week of a fortnight before it is thrown open to public. Makes a good stop, especially for Shell aficionados who swear nothing but Shell and need a good stop 385 kms before Bangalore.
Here is the precise location of the Shell Outlet that should be around 390 Kms to Bangalore and around 440 Kms from Pune in Pune-Bangalore Direction

It is well marked on google now and that also means it is operational (hopefully).

[Have reported mods to merge these back to back posts]

Last edited by aah78 : 31st October 2018 at 18:52. Reason: Posts merged on request.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 22:06   #2323
BHPian

Saw this place (did not stop) "Upadhya Veg" this weekend on my way back from Goa to Bangalore. This is on the left side after you cross Chitradurga. Seemed quiet big and brightly lit. Has anyone tried it? Could be a good stop option.
Old 4th November 2018, 22:20   #2324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
Saw this place (did not stop).
Is this the place you mentioned about ?

I too haven't stopped there yet, however few pages back I remember someone mentioning a positive experience there.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 4th November 2018 at 22:21.
Old 5th November 2018, 00:17   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
Saw this place (did not stop) "Upadhya Veg" this weekend on my way back from Goa to Bangalore. This is on the left side after you cross Chitradurga. Seemed quiet big and brightly lit. Has anyone tried it? Could be a good stop option.
I had stopped at this place for evening tea on my way from Badami (had bonda soup, dosa & tea). Quality of food was good and washrooms were clean.

For people who wish to stop for breakfast before Tumkur (while traveling from Bangalore) I can suggest "Hotel Shree Rathnam". This has ample parking space, clean washrooms and quality of breakfast is decent. Been here for saturday morning breakfast several times this year. The only downside is that this place becomes crowded after 8 AM and you can expect some delay in serving food.
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks