Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:33   #2386
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Hey Guys, I am planning a road trip in last week of April to South India from Mumbai. The plan...

Day 1: Mumbai to Davengere
Day 2: Davengere to Mysore
Day 3: Mysore local
Day 4: Mysore to Bandipur
Day 5: Bandipur to Ooty/Coonoor
Day 6-8: Ooty local (Day 7 day trip to Coimbatore/Isha Foundation and back)
Day 9: Return journey, stay at Davengere
Day 10: Back to Mumbai

A google map search shows the map: https://goo.gl/maps/BtkC1ViWxPH2

I will be travelling with my family (wife and 2 kids, 2yrs and 9yrs), I am the solo driver in my Fiesta 1.6S.

The queries:
1. Is the trip plan reasonable? My kids have taken long road trips from Mumbai to Goa earlier, so I am guessing they'd be ok this time too. Should I cut down on the places/travel?
2. Does the google map shown above need a tweak? Are there better roads or should I trust maps blindly?
3. I am not a morning person, but as suggested in the earlier threads, I plan to move out of Mumbai as early as possible. Should I follow same pattern for return journey?
4. The trip is just for fun and summer outing, all places are optional, feel free to suggest alternates. Till now I have booked 1 night at JLR Bandipur and finalising the Ooty stay.

Thanks in advance for the replies, in return, I'll surely bring back great pictures and a travelogue

Last edited by streetfighter : 3rd April 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Removed home location in map link
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:48   #2387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
1. Is the trip plan reasonable? My kids have taken long road trips from Mumbai to Goa earlier, so I am guessing they'd be ok this time too. Should I cut down on the places/travel?
The distances sound reasonable by decent standards. So don't worry on that. Ideally Davanagere is the right place to halt when driving to Mysore.

Quote:
2. Does the google map shown above need a tweak? Are there better roads or should I trust maps blindly?
You need not change the route although there are other alternates that will get you off the main highway quite earlier (say Hiriyur) instead of Tumkur but will hardly save time.

So makes sense to pull all the way till Tumkur and then do Kunigal Maddur and the roads here remain good. Since you will do Davanagere - Mysore during the day starting from Davanagere in the morning, this is a good route to take up.

Quote:
3. I am not a morning person, but as suggested in the earlier threads, I plan to move out of Mumbai as early as possible. Should I follow same pattern for return journey?
During return, I see you have included Isha Foundation near Coimbatore. What does your itinerary look like with this? You will spend the last night at Isha? If so, you don't need to return back to Ooty and instead do Coimbatore - Salem - Bangalore (NICE) - Tumkur - Davanagere. Better divided roads and hardly any additional time. Works well with family too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:23   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
During return, I see you have included Isha Foundation near Coimbatore. What does your itinerary look like with this? You will spend the last night at Isha? If so, you don't need to return back to Ooty and instead do Coimbatore - Salem - Bangalore (NICE) - Tumkur - Davanagere. Better divided roads and hardly any additional time. Works well with family too.
Out of the 4 days at Ooty, I was thinking of doing a day trip to Isha Foundation, and return back to Ooty, therefore starting my return journey from Ooty itself. Your suggestion of returning back from Coimbatore is a logical one, thanks for the insight.
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:35   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 6-8: Ooty local (Day 7 day trip to Coimbatore/Isha Foundation and back)
Finish day 6,7 in Ooty and head out to CBE and return through the highway. No need to return to Ooty. From CBE, I think you might be able to reach Hubli/Dharwad same evening from CBE without much fuss
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:13   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys, I am planning a road trip in last week of April to South India from Mumbai. The plan...
Hi, This is a good plan and having driven on these routes several times, here are some tips that could be of use to you.

a) On the second day before heading out to Mysore, please do consider having breakfast at Sri Guru Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel https://goo.gl/maps/z7AeiKoPkiF2. This is normally our breakfast pit stop whenever we head out to Pune from Bangalore.

b) You may want to swing by to Melkote and Thonnur Lake (kere) near Mandya which is about 40 Kms before Mysore. Kids may like Thonnur lake. We once cycled around the lake and the circumference is about 40 Kms. I will be happy to provide more details of Melkote if you are spiritually inclined.

c) Do not miss out Mylari Hotel for masala dosa at Mysore https://hotelmylarioriginal.business.site/. It is very close to the Mysore Zoo

d) You may want to drive via Masinagudi en route to Ooty from Mysore. Your driving skills will be put to test in the steep climb having about 41 hairpin bends. Many people avoid this and prefer a longer route but I prefer it for the sheer thrill. Absolutely safe and well-marked alerts at important places.

e) Suggest that you spend at least 4-5 hours at Isha; the best is to drive back via Bangalore. In case you leave late at Isha, it is worthwhile halting at Hosur or Electronic City, Bangalore. Coimbatore to Davangere will be easily 10 hours assuming one starts at 2 pm and the bright possibilities of getting stuck at electronic city traffic at Bangalore. The traffic snarls that one encounters from Karnataka Border until you get into the Nice road.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:31. Reason: trimmed quoted post
karanp23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 21:23   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanp23 View Post
Hi, This is a good plan and having driven on these routes several times, here are some tips that could be of use to you.
Awesome tips Sir, knowing about offbeat places to visit and authentic places to eat make a trip much more exciting.

I'm not a very religious or spiritual person, but if Melkote provides some history, architecture and peace, I can certainly stop by on my trip. I just hope the weather would not be too harsh and too uncomfortable for the kids.

I am definitely taking the Masinagudi route while going to Ooty, the 1.6L (petrol) engine on the Fiesta is free revving and is always fun on the twists. The mention of the hairpin bends and ghat roads has got me pretty excited

I'll be meeting up a relative at Isha Foundation (they are coming from Kochi), so I'll stay back the night at Coimbatore with them. The return to Mumbai will happen from Coimbatore. As you suggested, I'll go easy on the 10hrs and break around Davangere.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:31. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 11th April 2019, 15:50   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome tips Sir, knowing about offbeat places to visit and authentic places to eat make a trip much more exciting.

I'm not a very religious or spiritual person, but if Melkote provides some history, architecture and peace, I can certainly stop by on my trip. I just hope the weather would not be too harsh and too uncomfortable for the kids.

I am definitely taking the Masinagudi route while going to Ooty, the 1.6L (petrol) engine on the Fiesta is free revving and is always fun on the twists. The mention of the hairpin bends and ghat roads has got me pretty excited

I'll be meeting up a relative at Isha Foundation (they are coming from Kochi), so I'll stay back the night at Coimbatore with them. The return to Mumbai will happen from Coimbatore. As you suggested, I'll go easy on the 10hrs and break around Davangere.
Thank you, I presume that you would start from Davangere after breakfast, it should take about 5 hours or so to reach Melkote. It's your call but here is the link to know more about Melkote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melukote.

At Sira, on Davangere to Tumkur stretch, you have two gas stations, HP and BP, both within a distance of 4-5 kms and you may want to fill up gas here. The later is a company operated one for sure.

Presuming, you would reach around lunch time at Mysore, you may also want to stop by at Poojari's Fish Land just after Srirangapatna https://goo.gl/maps/Pj5eHuy3bJJ2. You will like it if you are a fish eater...They have nice kids playing area too.

It is suggested that you start early from Coimbatore, as the city traffic leads to congestion after 7:30 AM. This could also help you get over the traffic snarls at the electronic city at Bangalore. I will be driving from Palakkad to Bangalore via Coimbatore on the 27/28...perhaps, we may cross each other...
karanp23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 18:37   #2393

Planning to do Bangalore Pune trip tomorrow, starting at 4 am in the morning from Marathahalli. Since elections are around, does it change travel duration by any chance? Any special things to keep in mind to avoid any trouble and save time?
Old 12th April 2019, 19:37   #2394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswapnilk View Post
Planning to do Bangalore Pune trip tomorrow, starting at 4 am in the morning from Marathahalli. Since elections are around, does it change travel duration by any chance? Any special things to keep in mind to avoid any trouble and save time?
4 is a good start. You should manage this in around 12 hours with all your breaks and normal cruising speeds of 100-110KMPH despite of the work in progress section for 6 laning between C'Durga and Hubli (200 Kms).

Elections around the corner means you may spend extra minutes to get the car checked as you pass through places where checkposts are located but that's about it. The easiest way to deal with the checkposts is to roll down and talk before they do and remain patient and that will be all.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th April 2019 at 19:39.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 23:03   #2395
BHPian

I'm planning to do a solo bike trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. I would like to start from Nelamangala after 5.00PM. Can you please advise. Is Pune possible? Is it safe to drive at night?

Have travelled multiple times through expressway from Pune to Mumbai. But by bike, I presume we have to catch the old highway. How to go about it? Where should I take the turn?
Old 22nd April 2019, 23:23   #2396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I'm planning to do a solo bike trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. I would like to start from Nelamangala after 5.00PM. Can you please advise. Is Pune possible? Is it safe to drive at night?

Have travelled multiple times through expressway from Pune to Mumbai. But by bike, I presume we have to catch the old highway. How to go about it? Where should I take the turn?
1700 is a good start. You won't encounter North Bound buses and hence traffic would be light. With this you will reach Pune in around 11 or 12 hours which is still good because you will enter Mumbai before peak morning hours.

I have driven multiple times at night and the whole highway is completely safe. However remember the stretch from Chitradurga to Hubli that is undergoing 6 lane expansion work. Under dark you only need to remain in controlled speeds as there are quite a few diversions and rough patches around these diversions.

Your best best to take breaks will be tea stalls soon after the toll booths, majority of which you will find mostly after Belgaum all the way till Mumbai.

Coming to the turn off to take the old highway, it's very simple. On the Katraj Dehu Road Bypass (Pune Bypass), you only continue straight once the bypass ends (For expressway one forks out to left at the end of the bypass). That's it. You will be now on the 4 lane NH that will merge with Sion Panvel expressway at Panvel.

There are neatly placed and marked signage that will clearly indicate "Mumbai Via Expressway(left arrow) " and "Mumbai Via NH (straight)" as you get closer to the other end of the bypass. So just follow that.

On another note, there is every chance that googlemaps may soon tell you to take left at Talegaon to get back on to expressway by taking the Talegaon entry but you need to still continue straight and remain on the 4 lane highway. If your map is set to Riding mode, maps should be smart enough to guide you right.

The 4 lane NH that runs along with expressway also is in very good shape and at times you feel it's more blissful as it takes you onto some elevated sections from where you can get spectacular views of the expressway like these.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_0878.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_0876.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_0881.jpg

Many times depending on the time of the day or traffic pattern I have opted to drive along the NH than the expressway but mainly on return from Mumbai.

Note: Directions in Biking Mode with Origin set to point where you fork out for expressway till Panvel where you merge with Sion Panvel expressway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rTxewNnvqNMsMiFN6

Source: Where from you should continue straight

Destination: Panvel where you merge with Sion expressway.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd April 2019 at 23:45.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 00:21   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance for the replies, in return, I'll surely bring back great pictures and a travelogue
Early morning starts depend on which city you are starting from. For example, Bombay or Bangalore are cities where a non-peak hour start makes a huge difference. A city like Mysore or Davanagere the difference is minimal. Yes you might lose 10 minutes but it isn't a major constraint. The biggest advantage of an early morning or late night drive is the fact that the weather is cooler than during the day. Also, see if you can get your kids to sleep safely in the car while doing an early start. If not, take the later start even if it costs you time. Their safety is more important than saving even an hour or two.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:28   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the turn off to take the old highway, it's very simple. On the Katraj Dehu Road Bypass (Pune Bypass), you only continue straight once the bypass ends (For expressway one forks out to left at the end of the bypass). That's it. You will be now on the 4 lane NH that will merge with Sion Panvel expressway at Panvel.

There are neatly placed and marked signage that will clearly indicate "Mumbai Via Expressway(left arrow) " and "Mumbai Via NH (straight)" as you get closer to the other end of the bypass. So just follow that.

On another note, there is every chance that googlemaps may soon tell you to take left at Talegaon to get back on to expressway by taking the Talegaon entry but you need to still continue straight and remain on the 4 lane highway. If your map is set to Riding mode, maps should be smart enough to guide you right.
Thanks for the reply man.

Quote:
The 4 lane NH that runs along with expressway also is in very good shape and at times you feel it's more blissful as it takes you onto some elevated sections from where you can get spectacular views of the expressway like these.
Looks like I'll miss the scenery both onwards and return leg due to odd time. Let's see, If I halt at Pune during onward journey, may be I can get some early morning views.

Quote:

Note: Directions in Biking Mode with Origin set to point where you fork out for expressway till Panvel where you merge with Sion Panvel expressway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rTxewNnvqNMsMiFN6

Source: Where from you should continue straight

Destination: Panvel where you merge with Sion expressway.
Thanks, this is the turn I should take care of.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:53   #2399
BHPian

Planning Bangalore-Mumbai solo drive next week and need some pointers. I am doing it in 2 days since I will have to stop for about couple of hours at Hubli city for an important work and continue the drive from there.
  • Leave B'lore by 6AM and reach Hubli by afternoon
  • Finish the work at Hubli and reach Belgaum by 6-7PM, stay at a hotel near highway
  • Leave Belgum at 4AM towards Pune and reach Mumbai via expressway

I have never driven/gone beyond Kolhapur, so I am completely dependent on Gmaps till I reach my destination!
  • I would like to reach Mumbai(Kolaba area) around 12PM. Leaving Belgaum at 4AM is a good plan?
  • I know Belgum-Kolapur drive would be breeze but beyond Kolapur till Pune anything I have to be wary about, regarding road condition/traffic wise?
  • Joining expressway by bypassing Pune city I presume is not much of a hassle (??)
  • Any decent Hotel recommendations at Belgaum near the highway?
Appreciate your responses.
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:54   #2400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Leave B'lore by 6AM and reach Hubli by afternoon
Factor in 6 lane expansion work for 200 Kms between Chitradurga and Hubli that has resulted in quite a few diversions that can reduce your overall average speed to reach Hubli.

Considering this, a start from Bangalore not later than 0500 makes immense sense. 0600 means you are likely to reach here by noon only.

Quote:
Leave Belgum at 4AM towards Pune and reach Mumbai via expressway
0400 Belgaum
0530 Kolhapur
0830 Pune Bypass
0900 Pune Bypass End
1100 Expressway Exit and enter Panvel and perhaps another 2 hours to your destination from here.

Quote:
I have never driven/gone beyond Kolhapur, so I am completely dependent on Gmaps till I reach my destination!
Yes, Gmaps should ideally lead you through the right route including the expressway. Plus the signage are aplenty to get onto the Expressway.

Quote:
I would like to reach Mumbai(Kolaba area) around 12PM. Leaving Belgaum at 4AM is a good plan?
Explained above. To be able to reach by 12 noon, you might need to start little earlier. The other option for you is to drive till Kolhapur on Day 1. Belgaum - Kolhapur is indeed a stressfree section that you need to bother much. If you can settle at Kolhapur by 2100 also, it will still be easy for you to start from here on Day 2 at 0400 and then your plan would look something like this:

0400 Kolhapur
0700 Pune bypass
0730 Pune Bypass end
0930 Panvel
1130 Colaba
Quote:
I know Belgum-Kolapur drive would be breeze but beyond Kolapur till Pune anything I have to be wary about, regarding road condition/traffic wise?
Thankfully, you will be starting from Belgaum really early and 2 wheeler traffic that is quite a nuisance in MH part of this highway won't bother you much. However, bear in mind that you will cross Pune around 0830 and that means a lot of regular traffic will be seen on the bypass and surrounding industrial areas. Patience will be the key here!
Quote:
Joining expressway by bypassing Pune city I presume is not much of a hassle (??)
Pune "Westerly Bypass" is one straight road. At the other end you would easily notice well marked signage to take left for the expressway. Keep an eye on that.
Quote:
Any decent Hotel recommendations at Belgaum near the highway?
Take your pick with Sankam being the most popular requiring very small detour, Pai resorts being the closest to highway and followed by Marriott that will be at the outskirts of the bypass.

Sankam Residency
Ramdev International
Pai Resorts
Fairfield by Marriott

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd May 2019 at 18:02.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks