Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 12:59   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This one is Pune bound, next to BPCL COCO. It was getting ready when I drove during last week of december. ruzbehxyz's recent update confirms this is now operational.
Looks like we are talking about 2 different outlets. I was referring to this.

About Sira Kamat, it was 1000 pm and I had patience to discover further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Any hotels between Kolhapur and Belgaum that will allow a late check-in? Or does it make sense to drive through the night and reach Bangalore early morning? We have 3 drivers on board, so night driving shouldn't be an issue.
For a night's stay, I'd choose around Hubli-Dharwad (~ 2K) which are much cheaper than Belgaum or Kolhapur (~ 4K). There's one Ramya Residency bang on the bypass. There was one more listed by Arun Josie few pages back. If you enter the toll past midnight, it would be valid when you exit Gabbur. If budget is not a big deal, Belgaum Sankam is the best.

With 3 drivers its easily doable, whether to do it depends on what sort of work you have next day.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:05   #2612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Looks like we are talking about 2 different outlets. I was referring to this.
Even this Shell is open since more than 2 years now Narayan. This was one of the first Shell stations in Pune that came up in 2005-06. It later shut down in 2009-10 and later reopened 3 years before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
True. I used to fill here at this Shell Station way back in 2009-10 when I drove Pune Bangalore almost every alternate weekend.

And later this shut down, owing to unknown reasons as other Shell stations were very much operational in Pune and it was sometime in 2010 itself that the attendant here said she can only check oil and clean the windscreen as they won't sell fuel anymore.
Quote:
Any hotels between Kolhapur and Belgaum that will allow a late check-in? Between 11 pm and 1 am in the night? Plan to just sleep and leave early morning next day. Destination is Bangalore and plan to depart Pune at 7 pm

My usual place is Sai International, but if there is a hotel thats 1-2 hrs further ahead, I would like that to go there and save some time from the next leg of the trip.
As Narayan says, Hubli would make more sense as Belgaum bypass has nothing except Marriott or at max Pai Resorts and Sankam. These are either on or closest to the Bypass. Hubli - Dharwad bypass will offer you more choices :

- Ramya Residency that is right on the bypass
- Cotton County Club - Airport Road
- Tara Emerland - Airport Road
- Dennisons Hotel - Airport Road
Quote:
Or does it make sense to drive through the night and reach Bangalore early morning? We have 3 drivers on board, so night driving shouldn't be an issue.
Whatever you decide, do not make the mistake of entering Bangalore between 0500 - 0700 in the morning. You will witness loads and loads of bus and truck traffic trying to either enter or bypass Bangalore from NICE road.

The best time to reach Bangalore would ideally be around 0400 or before this. So work backwards, and then define your drive plan.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st January 2020 at 13:12.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:49   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Any hotels between Kolhapur and Belgaum that will allow a late check-in? Between 11 pm and 1 am in the night? Plan to just sleep and leave early morning next day. Destination is Bangalore and plan to depart Pune at 7 pm

My usual place is Sai International, but if there is a hotel thats 1-2 hrs further ahead, I would like that to go there and save some time from the next leg of the trip. Or does it make sense to drive through the night and reach Bangalore early morning? We have 3 drivers on board, so night driving shouldn't be an issue.
I understand that, around 11pm you will be crossing Kolhapur with a 7pm departure from Pune. I would not suggest Hubli because its another 200 kms ahead of Kolhapur, expect to reach Hubli by 2:00 a.m . Since you are specifying between 11pm to 1 a.m, Belgaum would surely make sense as you will reach by 12:30 a.m.

Don't worry about getting in and out of Belgaum from NH4. Its the fastest as compared to Hubli. You exit NH4 for Belgaum city and in 2.5 kms you will hit an area ( Nehru Nagar ) where many hotels are scattered around. Hotel Ramdev International, Hotel Rakshit international, Hotel Sai Sangam, Hotel Sukhsagar etc. All of them provide late check in. NH4 towards Bangalore is only 1.5 kms from this point.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:02   #2614
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:

My usual place is Sai International, but if there is a hotel thats 1-2 hrs further ahead, I would like that to go there and save some time from the next leg of the trip. Or does it make sense to drive through the night and reach Bangalore early morning? We have 3 drivers on board, so night driving shouldn't be an issue.

Marriott is fantastic. I would recommend that as your best bet. When my wife and friends were returning from Hampi they stayed the night there and flew the next morning from Belgaum to Bombay.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd January 2020 at 22:07.
Old 26th January 2020, 19:29   #2615
Team-BHP Support

To add to that suggestion would be, if you can make it by 7, that would be nice because gives a good night's sleep. (The hotel sure should be worth it!)

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2020 at 21:11.
Old 27th January 2020, 23:16   #2616
NKR
BHPian

An update on the journey from Pune to Wayanad (26 Jan - Sunday)

1. I started the journey from Chandani Chowk in Pune at around 6 AM and filled from the Shell pump which is on the left side at about 4- 5 Km on the Service Road.
2. The drive on the highway was fine. The roads are good except for the few diversions.
3. First pit stop was at Sai Food Court in Yelur. It has decent food and washrooms.
4. Next pit stop was at the Shell, Pale outlet in Hubli. Had a bite on the go at the 'Select' outlet as we were not hungry. The few kilometres before Hubli is being resurfaced and faced traffic.
5. The next stretch from Hubli to Chitradurga is the most annoying one. You can easily clip 120 kmph for a few minutes and then you immediately come across a diversion or a toll plaza. This continues till you reach Chitradurga.
6. My initial plan was to stop for the day at Chitradurga but decided to continue since we were not tired. Had a late lunch.
7. Continued till Tumkur and Google maps routed me towards Maddur, the traffic near Tumkur is rather heavy but after a few miles it's was near empty.
8. After Maddur entered the Highway and continued till Srirangapatna.
9. From Srirangapatna took the Brindavan road towards Hunsur. Stopped at a wayside eatery and had dinner. Filled from an Indian oil pump for want of better option.
10. Continued towards Gonigappa and then turned left to Kutta. The road towards Gonigappa is patched on the surface in many places and has numerous speed breakers.
11. The Kutta- Mananthavady road was almost deserted at night and was engulfed in fog in many places. The surfacing is good but you have to be careful with a large number of buses coming towards Bangalore and blinding you with very bright lights. I thought most them were extremely bright, illegal and blinding.
12. From Mananthavady turned towards Sulthan Bathery. Instead of turning left from Panamaram I continued onward to Meenangadi thinking that it would be a better option. Which was not to be the case as the road from Pachilakkadu to Meenangadi is non existant. Lost a lot of time and of course not at all good for the Car. So you must turn left from Panamaram.
13. Finally reached destination near Sulthan Bathery by 2 AM.
14. Total distance covered was1100 KM. Time taken was 20hrs.
15. Thanks a lot to the team bhp for inputs.
NKR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:55   #2617
Senior - BHPian

How much would be the one way toll charges between Pune and Bangalore on the GQ?

This is to recharge the fasttag before the trip.
Old 4th February 2020, 16:00   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
How much would be the one way toll charges between Pune and Bangalore on the GQ?

This is to recharge the fasttag before the trip.
The total toll charges should be Rs 1010 as per NHAI website.

You can follow this link where you can find the total toll amount between any two cities.

Link -
http://tis.nhai.gov.in/tollplazasonmap?language=en
ram87pune is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 10:45   #2619
Distinguished - BHPian

Returned from Belgaum a few days back and have an update to share. The six laning work between Chitradurga and Hubli is progressing well and few more sections have been thrown open to public. Quality of work is excellent and the roads and FLAT and SMOOTH. Understandably lane markings are yet to be done and the widened lanes end abruptly sometimes. Also sizes of speedbreakers are inconsistent. So better slow down well in advance when you spot a "diversion ahead" signboard.

The Hubli Dharwad bypass has a few surprises in store. There was nothing during my onward journey, but by the time I returned, annoying speed breakers in groups of 3 or 4 have been installed every 200 metres on some sections . They are small enough for cars like Duster and softly sprung cars to fly over, but big enough to force stiffer sprung cars to slow down. But more importantly they are forcing loaded lorries to completely slow down to a crawl to pass them. This stretch has a few inclines as well which the lorries struggle to climb as it is, now with these speed breakers and loss of momentum, I really pity them! So traffic is piling up behind these slow lorries and adding to the time taken to pass this stretch. This may be in response to some accident here (which is quite common btw). But this move has the potential to create more accidents, so likely to be taken out (hopefully).

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th February 2020 at 11:08.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 11:57   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to Pune from Bangalore last week and returned back yesterday

Onward:
I left at 7PM on Wednesday evening and reached my hotel in Pune at 7:30AM.

Return:
I left at 7:15PM on Saturday evening and reached my home at 7:45AM
This was a solo drive and I drove through the night with stops for Dinner and Bio-Breaks.

Didn't need to refuel on the way to Pune. While returning stopped for fuel at BP COCO after crossing Karnataka Border.

As mentioned, roads are excellent throughout except for the ongoing works between Chitradurga and Hubli. There is definite improvement as I had traveled to Goa just a few days back.
Most of the work between Satara and Pune are completed except for couple of diversions. Rest of the roads are in excellent condition
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:17   #2621
BHPian

Breaking!!!

No toll for local vehicles (MH12 & MH14) at Khed-Shivapur toll plaza for next 8 days

Source:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74170489.cms

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...909329483.html

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th February 2020 at 20:05. Reason: Typo.
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 22:54   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
Breaking!!!

No toll for local vehicles (MH12 & MH14) at Khed-Shivapur toll plaza for next 8 days
I drove from Mumbai to Belgaum today and this is what I spotted at Khed Shivapur toll, Pune. Alongside ambulance, MH12 and MH14 vehicles now get 2 dedicated lanes at the Toll. I don't know whether they are exempt from paying the toll altogether.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_115700__01.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_115709__01.jpg

1. Nothing much to update on the road conditions. All the way from Bombay to Belgaum, NH4 remains in absolutely pristine condition. Diversions on Pune--Satara are super smooth. At some places on the Pune--Satara stretch, the surface is being reasphalted. I got a feeling today that the contractor for Satara--Pune has changed because I noticed some other name and "felt" that the work on incomplete flyovers is being speeded up. Also saw some newer road equipments from the "Wirtgen" company. Can anyone please confirm if the work is handed over to a new person ??? Could be my misconception.

2. Traffic as usual was high in Maharashtra and add to that the sugarcane tractors and trucks between Satara and Kolhapur.

3. Fastag worked like a charm at all the 8 tolls till Belgaum. However, looks like the Mumbai--Pune Expressway is still facing some issue. While my tag got scanned instantly at both Khalapur and Talegaon toll plazas, there was no debit in my account for Talegaon toll ( Rs. 57/-)

4. Stops enroute : As usual at IOCL+Foodway ( new food mall on Expressway ) for fuelling up, Nitrogen top up and breakfast ( 45 minutes ) ; 15 mins for tea ( hotel at the start of Khambatki ghat ) ; Hotel Shivneri Castle, Tandulwadi village for lunch ( 45 minutes ) - this is just ahead of Sai international, about 100 metres inside the main highway. I chose this hotel for lunch just so because I wanted to try a new place. Food was awesome, didn't check the washrooms though. Total - 1 hour 45 minutes.

5. It took me a total of 9 hours from Kopar Khairane, Navi Mumbai to Bhagyanagar, Belgaum ( 472 kms ) inclusive of a 1 hour 45 minutes stop. Started at 8:50 a.m and reached my home at 5:50 pm

Some pics below

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_105544.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_092701.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_123204__01.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_130752_01__01__01.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20200220_151807__01.jpg
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:48   #2623
BHPian

E-challan update for NH4 in Maharashtra

As you can read in the post above, I drove from Mumbai to Belgaum on 20th February 2020. Apparently there have been speed cameras installed at various locations on Mumbai--Pune Expressway and Pune--Satara--Kolhapur--Kagal stretch.

I realised it only two days back when I checked in the traffic app that I have been issued a ticket for driving at 104 kmph on the right most fast lane of the 6 lane Pune--Satara stretch near Joshivihir. Speed limit here is 90kmph as per the ticket. The fine amount is Rs.1000/-.

Below is the pic of my car that was attached in that traffic app.Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20200225215147__01.jpg

Be cautious everyone the next time to drive on NH4 in Maharashtra. I usually maintain speeds in the range of 95-110 kmph on the highway depending on the feasibility. Heavy traffic in Maharashtra slows down considerably though on many occasions. I am looking at a slightly higher journey duration from Mulund, Mumbai to Belgaum - 482 kms ( may be additional 1.5 hours ? ) henceforth if I stick to the speed limit of 90kmph all throughout. Let's see.

Many other BHPians have also reported of being challaned for driving at 80, 90kmph on the Mumbai--Pune Expressway.

Last edited by vivek95 : 28th February 2020 at 16:51.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:46   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
E-challan update for NH4 in Maharashtra

Apparently there have been speed cameras installed at various locations on Mumbai--Pune Expressway and Pune--Satara--Kolhapur--Kagal stretch.

Many other BHPians have also reported of being challaned for driving at 80, 90kmph on the Mumbai--Pune Expressway.
O oh!.
On the mumbai pune expressway the speed limit for cars is supposed to be 100kph - i saw that painted on the huge signboards along the way. If folks driving at 80 are getting penalized then this is soon going to be a nuisance. Unless, these were in the sections just after khandala where the restriction is 30 kmph and usually folks in a car drive at around 50 -60 kmph.

I traveled mumbai - bengaluru this week - 26th to 28th. There are speed guns at multiple places in Karnataka too - i did notice them on the hubli davengere stretch and chitradurga - tumkur stretch. Usually well hidden among the trees. So when you see everyone slowing down on a straight road without any apparent reason you know what to expect a few meters ahead.

I too drive in the 90 - 100 band with very short spurts of 110 - 120 . Henceforth, have to be more observant of the speed restrictions. There are multiple places where the speed restrictions are at 50 kmph or thereabouts. These are the ones where many will henceforth be trapped.

On the brighter side everyone will start getting better fuel efficiency figures for their vehicles.

Couple of questions.

Did you get an SMS or do you have to explicitly check on the parivahan portal (if not the app)?
Do the speed guns work at night? in the glare of the headlights
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:15   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
O oh!.
On the mumbai pune expressway the speed limit for cars is supposed to be 100kph - i saw that painted on the huge signboards along the way. If folks driving at 80 are getting penalized then this is soon going to be a nuisance. Unless, these were in the sections just after khandala where the restriction is 30 kmph and usually folks in a car drive at around 50 -60 kmph.
Are you sure there are 100kmph signages on the Mumbai--Pune Expressway ?? I don't recollect spotting 100 anywhere despite my umpteen drives on this road. Its max 80 even on those long straight stretches between Pune--Lonavala and Khalapur--Panvel. Am I missing something ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Did you get an SMS or do you have to explicitly check on the parivahan portal (if not the app)?
Do the speed guns work at night? in the glare of the headlights
I did not get any SMS for any of my violations. I simply logged into the Mumbai traffic app one fine day and got the shock of my life. I think these speed guns work very well at night as well.

I am driving Belgaum to Bombay tomorrow morning and have decided to stick to max 85 kmph once I enter Maharashtra at Kagal, all the way upto Bombay. Will update here post my drive.

Last edited by vivek95 : 2nd March 2020 at 14:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks