Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 22:46   #2776
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

I am planning for Bangalore-Ahmedabad on 17th Oct. Given the current flood situation in north Karnataka and heavy rains in Konkan coast and Mumbai, is there any impact on the Mumbai Bangalore highway? I know the situation is still developing however any updates on road conditions would be useful.
Old 16th October 2020, 22:37   #2777
BHPian

Completed the BOM-BLR drive today. Just one police check near Haveri for PUC and Insurance.

Total time : 17 hours
Drive time : 15 hours

Restaurants en-route are open though not crowded. Better to avoid but had to step out for the occasional tea.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20201016_085726.jpg  

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20201016_131910.jpg  

maheshsm12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:57   #2778
BHPian

Hello guys,

Firstly, thank you for all the updates.. I did take some time to go through the last few pages to glean as much info as possible, but in case I happen to repeat any questions, kindly excuse.

I plan to travel from BOM to Kumbakonam (TN) via BLR in the week starting 26th Oct, and return the same week (picking up my parents). Would be served by my new Kia Seltos on this drive.

Had a few questions to run past with experts on this stretch:

1. I plan to cover the BOM-BLR stretch in a day non-stop, and plan to leave BOM (Kandivali) by 4am. I read possible traffic hold ups while crossing Pune, Kolhapur and while entering BLR. Does a 4am start help avoid the traffic much? What time am I expected to hit BLR?

2. Would a weekend be preferable over a weekday, assuming I am flexible around the dates?

3. I read some posts highlighting certain sections on the route having bad roads and or diversions. Considering this would be my first trip on this route, anything I need to be particularly prepared with? I planned to rely fully on my gmaps.

4. Any recommendations on reliable fueling stops in both directions? Plan to note this down and stick to these stops.

5. With a halt at BLR overnight, I plan to proceed the next day to Kumbakonam, taking the Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem/Tiruvannamalai - Kumbakonam route. Any views or experience on this stretch?

6. Based on experiences shared on this thread, I understand there is NO Covid related checks while entering KA or MH on return. No e-pass requirements either for both KA or MH. I understand though that TN still needs an e-pass for entry but not for exit. Pl. confirm if this is correct. I will have my 65yr+ parents on the way back, any requirements for Covid negative tests?

7. There may be police holdups to check for Docs (btw, since it is a new car, I am yet to receive my RC book, I have the regn and tax challan + insurance). Also believe no PUC is required for first 6mths.. Is this understanding correct, or would you advise me to get a PUC done anyway?

8. Likewise, on the return leg, I read somewhere that a 4am start from Bangalore would be advisable. Again, just to be sure, will a weekend be a better option driving out of BLR to BOM?

TIA.
Old 17th October 2020, 22:09   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prasanna

1. You’ll hit Bangalore around the 9 pm mark. You’ll hit some traffic near Tumkur for a Monday evening. That should be fine. It may be a better idea to get a place to stay / hotel near Electronic City and that’ll be easy for the next day to proceed to Kumbakonam.
2. Weekdays makes sense
3. Gmaps also may not be required. Well marked highway. No worries.
4. The Very First post is a beautiful compilation of the food stops / fuel stops that Parag wrote. That is a good post to keep handy.
5. Tiruvannamalai isn’t on this route. Otherwise , the route to Kumbakonam is just fine.
8. A 4 am start at Bangalore means you should be nearing Pune around 6 pm. Since the IT parks at Hingewadi are not in full attendance , you’ll be fine. Expect to take one full hour / 75 mins from Katraj till entry to Expressway.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:32   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
1. You’ll hit Bangalore around the 9 pm mark. You’ll hit some traffic near Tumkur for a Monday evening. That should be fine. It may be a better idea to get a place to stay / hotel near Electronic City and that’ll be easy for the next day to proceed to Kumbakonam.

Thank you for your comments. On #4, I believe many of those break points may be temporarily or permanently closed due to Covid. Any decent pit-stops for bio-breaks, esp. considering on my return I would have my parents in tow!

Any views or guidance #6 and #7 ?

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2020 at 20:39. Reason: updated content from previous post. + reduced size of quoted post
Old 18th October 2020, 21:12   #2781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
Thank you for your comments. On #4, I believe many of those break points may be temporarily or permanently closed due to Covid. Any decent pit-stops for bio-breaks, esp. considering on my return I would have my parents in tow!

For #6, check if there are any quarantine rules for returning residents of MH.

For #7, I would avoid travel until RC book is in (although it is not really a requirement, how the police handles the case on the ground is more relevant). Also, I would anyway prefer to take the PUC certificate even though it may not be required.

For your queries on pit-stops, you would find from google maps that there are many Cafe Coffee Day outlets which appear to be open (some even 24 hours a day) such as near Dharwad, Shiggaon (between Hubli and Haveri), Chattra (between Haveri and Ranibennur), Gollarahatti / Davangere, Sira (between Chitradurga and Tumkur). I'm also planning for a trip which involves Bangalore-Belgaum and the above info is based on my checking Google maps.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:58   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

4. I don’t know much in the Maharashtra side. Once you enter Karnataka, all the places are open. Just after you cross Hubli , you’ll find a Shell station to your left on the highway itself. Was there last month. Clean wash rooms. They have a cafe too. Their coffee was good. You’ll have the Kamat’s as well. At Davanagere , you’ll find Apoorva resorts ( on your right when going towards Bangalore ). Alternate , there is a CCD inside Davanagere town. Not too much of a deviation from the highway.
At Hubli town you have Naveen Lakeside, a good hotel. It’s inside town and you’ll lose some time getting in and out.
Old 18th October 2020, 23:02   #2783
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is traveling to Belgaum next weekend. He is traveling with an infant and his elderly parents.
Any idea how is the road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli? Is it any better now. I last traveled this Feb and it was manageable in my EcoSport. He drives a Ciaz and is concerned about the road if there are potholes and speedbreakers.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:33   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,
I plan to travel from BOM to Kumbakonam (TN) via BLR in the week starting 26th Oct, and return the same week (picking up my parents). Would be served by my new Kia Seltos on this drive.
Hi Prasanna
1- On the road conditions, its nothing that the Seltos cant handle, so dont worry on that part, some sections from Hubli to Chitradurga is a bit bad and multiple diversions but nothing alarming.
2- Pune to Satara road conditions are bad but doable
3- For night stay no need to enter Bangalore, you can stay at the outskirts, Keys Hosur road has good ratings amongst Bhpians plus closer to Highway.
4- On the documents part, you mite be stopped at Hubli for doc checking, carry all possible documents (Insurance, PUC and DL. RC they hardly check). Since you don't have the RC, carry the final Invoice of the car, maybe you can download or take a print of your ownership proof from Parivahaan website page)
5- For Bio breaks you can use the ones at petrol pump stations also
6- Please carry Sanitizers and Sanitizer sprays. you can get one of those cheap plastic disposable gloves
7- Would advise to carry home cooked food, packed food, fruits etc enough for you to sustain till Bangalore. McDonalds have drive IN so you don't need to step out.
9- For Fuel, I have always sticked to Shell/Reliance which are very much present in KA
Have added some of the points I could remember, everything else have been covered by rest of the experienced bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
A friend of mine is traveling to Belgaum next weekend. He is traveling with an infant and his elderly parents.
Any idea how is the road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli? Is it any better now. I last traveled this Feb and it was manageable in my EcoSport. He drives a Ciaz and is concerned about the road if there are potholes and speedbreakers.
Its bad but pretty much doable with Ciaz, just advise him to drive slowly at the diversions. Speed breakers are present before the diversions and at the service roads.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 19th October 2020 at 07:40.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:52   #2785
BHPian

On the Maharashtra side of NH4, everything is open too, I mean restaurants. Everytime I drive back to back between Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goa, one thing that catches my attention is the sheer availability of many good hotel options in Maharashtra. You can simply drive care free when in MH. Other day when I drove Mumbai--Manipal--Goa--Belgaum--Mumbai, finding a good stopover in Karnataka or Goa at unearthly hours or even daylight hours needs some careful look out and driving distances. It was quite a task to find a chai tapri in KA or Goa, let alone restaurants. But come MH, anytime anyhour options are simply flooded around you, chai tapris to good restaurants to premium stay options to fast food chains, cafes and everything. Plus the D-marts are located bang on the highway in MH ( Karad, Satara ). Restaurants galore on Satara--Pune--Mumbai sector the most !

Last edited by vivek95 : 19th October 2020 at 09:54. Reason: Misspell
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 23:00   #2786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Hi Prasanna
1- On the road conditions, its nothing that the Seltos cant handle, so dont worry on that part, some sections from Hubli to Chitradurga is a bit bad and multiple diversions but nothing alarming.
Thank you @rakesh_r, @jkrishnakj and @ccnarayanan

Very useful inputs !!
Old 25th October 2020, 17:28   #2787

Hi, I am looking to go from Bangalore to Mumbai in around 10 days. I have a Honda Amaze Automatic but I do not have experience driving long distances. Anything greater than 150 kms.

Do you think it is doable for someone like me? I want to try and avoid staying overnight on the way due to the covid situation. I have an option to halt at Pune but that is still a long way from Bangalore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tejas
Old 25th October 2020, 18:14   #2788
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgt2013 View Post
I have a Honda Amaze Automatic but I do not have experience driving long distances. Anything greater than 150 kms.

Do you think it is doable for someone like me?
Definitely possible with some good planning - having Fastag will help in terms of saving time, avoiding cash handling and more importantly to avoid contact with toll plaza attendants. Start early so that you can do most of your journey in day light. With a 4 am start, you should be able to reach Pune at least by 6-7pm I think.

Before leaving, tank up the previous day at Bangalore, check air pressure in the tyres including the spare tyre and plan your fuel stops en route based on your vehicles range. Look up the opening post of this thread for a link to Paragsachania's post on recommended fuel stops.

*In case the need arises - Hope you can handle an emergency like a flat tyre enroute, so carry a tubeless puncture kit and the vehicle's tool kit and the spare tyre of course!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:28   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Hi TRGT - Definitely doable. Like NPV says , do an early morning start. If you can do a 3.30 am - 4 am start , nothing like it.

If your dates are flexible , then , do this on a Saturday or a week day. Avoid the Sunday , given the very heavy traffic that you’ll encounter from Kolhapur onwards in the late noon / early evenings.

The Amaze should easily wing this one. Regardless of what you read , you’ll have to bear in mind that the average speed when you finish the trip will be around the 70 km/ hour mark only , and this , if you time your breaks well.

Enjoy the drive. It will turn out to be a very pleasant one.
Old 26th October 2020, 12:54   #2790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgt2013 View Post
Hi, I am looking to go from Bangalore to Mumbai in around 10 days. I have a Honda Amaze Automatic but I do not have experience driving long distances. Anything greater than 150 kms.
I will also be travelling back to Pune post Diwali from Bangalore. I was also a novice driver with maximum experience of 250km in single stretch, but was able to manage my Pune Bangalore trip easily with break in Davangere. You can plan your stay in recommended hotels like Sankam Residency or Fairfield in Belgaum in case you feel too tired to drive. These hotels have good level of cleanliness.
autoweirdo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed