Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 14:56   #1
BHPian

To explore Idukki's hill stations

Hi folks:

I and my wife are planning to spend few days in some of the Idukki district's hill stations during the first week of November 2010. Except Munnar, we haven't explored that district much. All we want is to spend our days in good weather (meaning chill climate and rain).

We will be driving from Chennai via Trichy. I’m planning to enter Idukki district thru Theni, spend few days by roaming around and exit via Marayoor. It would be great if anyone could guide me with the weather condition, important places of interest and good resorts in moderate price range.

Last edited by MadRash : 8th October 2010 at 14:56. Reason: Removed tags :(
Old 8th October 2010, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suppose you will spent time around Idukki Dam, Kulamavu Dam and Vagamon.
In case you are looking for driving instructions, you can refer the log book below, in the Kochi-Idukki-Thekkady-Theni-Madurai-Kanyakumari-Trivandrum sector.
http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...th-Nov2009.xls

There are some lovely hotels (check log book) at Thodupuzha, Nadugani, Cheruthoni and Kattapana. I think Carmelia Resort at Nedumkandam is also a lovely place.Carmelia Haven
Old 8th October 2010, 18:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

@MadRash If you are planning to visit Vagamon and Idukki, do stop at Kuttikkanam. It is a nice small town and can work as your base so that you can explore Vagamon, Thekkadi and nearby areas.

There are few nice hotels in and around kuttikkanam where you can stay.
(You can find some details here )
Old 9th October 2010, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Thank you HVK, theexperthand for givng the inputs.
HVK, you should be very generous to share all the trip logs yu have prepared. Thanks a lot.

Is it possible to visit/drive thru the Arch dam of Idukki?

Regarding the resorts, they look too good and offer a lot of activities. But the tariffs are at the higher end. Also since Im planning to cover many places, staying in high end resorts may not suit me. Are there any other options? Any help here?
Old 9th October 2010, 10:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree, MadRash, these resorts are all super-expensive.
You can see the Arch Dam at Idukki close up, but I believe access to it is not permitted.
The Cheruthoni and Kattapana resorts looked reasonably OK.
You can also check out Greenberg Resorts, at Nadugani, very attractive location (check out my log book):
Greenberg Resort, Idukki, Kerala
Old 11th October 2010, 17:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to do sight seeing in and around thekkady and Vagamon, I am not sure you can reach nadugani by EOD, unless you rush through some of the beautiful spots.

Between Peermade and Kuttikkanam, you can check Yathri Nivas (run by KTDC) or Thrisanku haven (09388623923 - their website seems to be down now). There used to be a nice small place - Rose Garden Residency (9595715151 -got this no from google)- I am not sure about the current info, but it used to be a small and cozy place - may be worth checking out.

While charting out your travel plans, try to visit Ramakkalmedu (Click, Click and Click for more details)
Old 14th October 2010, 20:02   #7
BHPian

@Madrush: You can see Idukki arch dam close up, but you cannot go over the arch dam.
I would suggest enter Idukki district from the northern side (Chennai - Salem - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Perundurai (Erode) - Udumulapettai - Chinnar wildlife sanctuary - Munnar - Thekkady instead of the usual Theni route. That way, you will be able to go through beautiful scenery. But this route is through Munnar. If you wish to not go via Munnar, then you can go via Trichy - Theni route.

ampere will strongly agree with me on this route .

I would suggest you to visit Vagamon, Idukki, Thekkady and Ramalakkamedu.
One of the team-bhpians also visited Gavi. That one sounds an interesting place.
Also there are a bunch of small places like Kulamavu (for treking), Keezharkuthu (small waterfalls), Peerumedu(plantations) in and around Idukki and Thekkady.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 14th October 2010 at 20:03.

Most Viewed