Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Trip to Gondawale and Pandharpur

Hi All,

I am planning a small trip with my parents to Gondawale and Pandharpur by end October or in early November. We will be travelling by our car. This will be a weekend (2 day) trip.

Though I have checked the routes on google and best seems to be Mumbai - satara -Gondawale -Pandharpur. But this can be used only for Onward journey.

I will like to have some info on below from you guys..

1. Route condition of Satara - Gondawale - Mhaswad -Pandharpur.
2. Route condition of Pandharpur - pune (Solapur Highway??)
3. Which will be the best location to take a halt for a night (Gondawale or Pandharpur)
4. Any know hows on stay options at Gondawale / Pandharpur?
5. Any other good route/tips.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I went on the Satara-Koregaon route a few weeks ago and the road was good. You are taking the Koregaon route. I checked up locally about the road condition, was told that they were good all the way to Pandharpur.
However, please bear in mind that these are very narrow roads, have no bypasses and lots of miscellaneous traffic, hence speeds will be very low.
Solapur-Pune highway is a mess thanks to road widening from Indapur onwards, totally avoidable.
Pandharpur has limited accommodation (hotels), but several choultries.
Old 9th October 2010, 08:07   #3
BHPian

I went to Pandharpur via Gondawale early this year to visit a friend and that road is quite good. While coming back we took the Phaltan-Saswad road and that was a mistake!

Stay on NH4 and take the Phata from Satara - best option (as rec'd by HVK himself!)
Old 9th October 2010, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
1. Route condition of Satara - Gondawale - Mhaswad -Pandharpur.
2. Route condition of Pandharpur - pune (Solapur Highway??)
3. Which will be the best location to take a halt for a night (Gondawale or Pandharpur)
4. Any know hows on stay options at Gondawale / Pandharpur?
5. Any other good route/tips.
1] satara-gndawale-mhaswad-pandharpur road , good condition.
2] as hvk already quoted, avoid it.
3] Neither gondawale nor pandharpur has any good options for stay.
as abhay suggested, halt at satara.
5] come back via same route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Solapur-Pune highway is a mess thanks to road widening from Indapur onwards, totally avoidable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
While coming back we took the Phaltan-Saswad road and that was a mistake!
Stay on NH4 and take the Phata from Satara - best option (as rec'd by HVK himself!)
Old 10th October 2010, 11:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Sant Gajanan Maharaj Niwas in Pandharpur is primitive but neat, clean, peaceful. You also get simple, hygienic food at non-profit rates (including mineral water).
Old 12th October 2010, 08:50   #6
BHPian

Pandharpur Stay option

I have stayed at Hotel Ashwairya - opposite Income Taxoffice @ Pandharpur; they have A/C rooms with clean interiors, Good Parking place & attached restaurant. This place is close to temple too - about 10 minuted with Horse Tonga.
Good Idea to call up before hand and confirm reservation. Don't have theeir numbers; but you could search on net to get them.

I did see couple of other decent looking hotels nearby; but never visited them.
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Re: Trip to Gondawale and Pandharpur

Hi !,

Am contemplating a trip from mumbai to pandharpur in the next couple of days. Any updates on the road conditions, is satara-gndawale-mhaswad-pandharpur road still the best bet.

Approximately how much time will it take from Mumbai, I have done mumbai satara in around 4.5 -5 hours couple of times.

Thanks.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:06   #8
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs
Hi !,

Am contemplating a trip from mumbai to pandharpur in the next couple of days. Any updates on the road conditions, is satara-gndawale-mhaswad-pandharpur road still the best bet.

Approximately how much time will it take from Mumbai, I have done mumbai satara in around 4.5 -5 hours couple of times.

Thanks.
Hi cyberwhizs, which route did you finally take? And what do you recommend for a Mumbai pandharpur trip now?

Regards, Vinay
Old 9th June 2012, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Re: Trip to Gondawale and Pandharpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Hi cyberwhizs, which route did you finally take? And what do you recommend for a Mumbai pandharpur trip now?

Regards, Vinay
Hey Sorry, somehow this did not show up in the inbox. I travelled via satara. Mumbai - satara - pandharpur. Left in the morning and returned same day late at night. Check out the updates on NH9, i think i posted on that thread too about the trip.

Am not too sure of the road conditions between satara and pandharpur, it is typical single carriageway but not much traffic. the tarmac was a little broken in some sections so average speeds will take a bit of a hit. if you have a big vechicle it wont be much of problem though. The worst section i encountered was within the town of pandharpur.

I hope this helps.

ps: it is a little bit of a stretch if you plan to drive to and back on the same day. having a co-driver will help.
Old 24th June 2013, 11:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Gondawale

Hi folks
Am planning to travel to Gondawale this weekend on the Pune-Satara-Koregaon-Gondawale sector.
Would anyone have any updates on the current road conditions, specially after the first rains this year? Is the infamous Katraj tunnel issue dealt with by now?

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2013, 17:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Hi folks
Am planning to travel to Gondawale this weekend on the Pune-Satara-Koregaon-Gondawale sector.
Would anyone have any updates on the current road conditions, specially after the first rains this year? Is the infamous Katraj tunnel issue dealt with by now?

Thanks.
Was there any issue with Katraj tunnel? Was never aware of it. Never read any latest issues.
Old 25th June 2013, 10:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was there any issue with Katraj tunnel? Was never aware of it. Never read any latest issues.
Around 3 weeks ago, a family was travelling back to Pune from Mahabaleshwar when one of their cars got "washed" away in the flash floods...the incident happened near the mouth of the Katraj tunnel.
Since then, people have been wary of taking that route.

Related link:- http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ka...uilty/1127068/

Most Viewed