Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 15:33   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I plan to start at about 6 am from Mumbai. The trip is to get the car over, and enjoy it and the drive! I could do 2 stops if necessary. I would want to avoid going into towns and traffic where the car might get bumped or scratched.
Your first stop should be around Pali, I once stayed at a Tourism hotel which is right on highway. Clean large rooms and ample parking in the locked compound but that was around 10 Years before. Or you can try a resort like this almost on the way but little ahead-

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...Rajasthan.html

Next day you can easily do balance journey. But if this becomes hectic, no harm in doing this over 3 Days in which case you can stay at Ahmedabad on Day1 and Jaipur on Day2.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 16:20   #47
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Your first stop should be around Pali, I once stayed at a Tourism hotel which is right on highway. Clean large rooms and ample parking in the locked compound but that was around 10 Years before. Or you can try a resort like this almost on the way but little ahead-

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...Rajasthan.html

Next day you can easily do balance journey. But if this becomes hectic, no harm in doing this over 3 Days in which case you can stay at Ahmedabad on Day1 and Jaipur on Day2.
Is the road from Abu road to Mount Abu good? If yes, I'll plan to stay at Mount Abu even if it takes an extra hour, and enjoy the hill drive in the process. If progress is slow, I can change plan enroute.
Old 1st February 2019, 18:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

I had done Mumbai - Chandigarh in June-end 2017 with wifey.

I stated from Kandivali at 0620 AM & was at Udaipur by 0730 PM with breakfast, Lunch & Tea stops. None longer than 45 mins. I wasted about 1 hour as I missed a turn & had entered Ahmedabad city. We stayed at KHUDALA HOUSE at Udaipur. Search for it.

Initial plan was to stay at HOTEL SAVODAY at Himmat Nagar as it is bang on the highway & has walled compound, to safely park the car.

We started from Udaipur at 0730AM and had joined Delhi-Chandigarh highway near Panipat. We were in Chandigarh by 0830PM. I drove all the way without any fatigue or issues. After we had lunch near Jaipur, we did not stop anywhere till we got on Delhi-Chandigarh highway.

On way back, we stayed at HOTEL SARVODAY and cannot complain.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st February 2019 at 18:26.
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 22:16   #49
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You will pass through Abu Road and not Mount Abu which is 30-40 Km/ an hour and half away. Your route should be

Mumbai - Vadodara- Ahmedabad- Palanpur- AbuRoad- Sirohi- Pali- Beawar- Ajmer- Jaipur- Behror- Panipat- Chandigarh
Is the Ahmedabad-Abu Road- Beawar- Ajmer road 4 lane with good surface?

I will try to leave Mumbai at 6.00am reach Ajmer directly, road permitting. If it is top class surface with normal traffic (not heavy like Chandigarh Delhi). If not, I'll consider the Vadodara Udaipur route despite the expansion work from Samalji to Udaipur.
Old 11th March 2019, 09:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I'll finalize this route-
route-

Mumbai- Vadodara- Godhra- Smalaji- Udaipur (halt)- Rajsamand- Bhilwara- Kishengarh- Jaipur- Rewari- Rohtak- Panipat- Chandigarh.

Final course corrections if any will be welcome.

Quote:
Is the Ahmedabad-Abu Road- Beawar- Ajmer road 4 lane with good surface?

I will try to leave Mumbai at 6.00am reach Ajmer directly, road permitting. If it is top class surface with normal traffic (not heavy like Chandigarh Delhi). If not, I'll consider the Vadodara Udaipur route despite the expansion work from Samalji to Udaipur.
I don't have experience on Mumbi - Vadodara - Udaipur segment but did Ahmedabad - Gurgaon last week. Roads from Ahmedabad to Beawar are all 4 laned and beyond Beawar to Delhi - 6 laned. But there is too much of truck traffic and it takes 5-10 minutes or more at tolls depending on the time. Few tolls have separate controlled for Cars though.

Vadodara - Ahmedabad is mostly breeze given the fantastic expressway, even though truck traffic is too much but being access controlled it's easy. So you might want to consider going via Ahmedabad given the construction work and the truck traffic on Vadidara- Godhra- Udaipur route. As per this map, time is around same for both routes.

Via - AbuRoad

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vado...26.5870344!3e0

Via - Godhra
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vado...26.5870344!3e0

This time I saw a signboard from at Kishangarh marked Chandigarh- Makrana, if you are traveling in day time, you can try this route via Hissar. If you want to keep usual way, continue on the Jaipur - Delhi Highway till Panchgaon and take the Northern Peripheral road instead of the Rohtak/ Panipat. Road from Kundli though under construction, is relatively better then last few months. But even if you take the Rohtak - Panipat route, it will be ok. Best will be to check Google maps when you are nearby

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th March 2019 at 09:18.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 21:36   #51
ais
BHPian

Ok, done the journey. Mumbai to Udaipur first. Started at about 6.30am from Worli after a sleepless night. Heavy traffic while leaving Mumbai, all the way till Surat. Road conditions not worth our tax money. Couple of hours from Surat was good road. Despite my fatigue, I decide to continue beyond Vadodara to Udaipur. Road is average with heavy truck traffic. Halol to Samalaji is excellent, though not safe due to cows crossing the road frequently. Samalaji to Udaipur is a nightmare, with a trailer turning over in front of me- I would go via Indore if ever I do this stretch again.

Udaipur departure next morning at 7.45am. Route is picturesque till Ajmer bypass, with good roads. After Jaipur, I should have tried the Patiala route from Kishengarh. The Jaipur route is terrible with bad roads and heavy traffic. Having encountered bad surfaces on every overbridge nearing the detour to Rewari, I turned left hoping for the great surface that existed till a year ago. Alas. Poor roads again. Went via the Rohtak bypass with terrible road, then to Panipat. Night drive from Panipat to Panchkula was full of traffic.

No fun this time- last time in Feb 2015, Mumbai to Indore was phenomenal.

I would suggest Mumbai to Indore. Then Kishengarh to Chandigarh via Patiala as there are good feedbacks on this road.

Last edited by ais : 19th March 2019 at 21:40.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 19:03   #52

Mumbai - Chandigarh - Mumbai trip planning

I am planning a trip with family of 4 to Chandigarh. The journey in a 4X4 SUV starts on 30th June from Mumbai. I know its still few months away but spending time on planning the trips and exploring route for interesting places / facts is something I don't want to miss out. Return journey to start around 12th July.

From Chandigarh I will drive as part of Adventure Overland 9 day self drive trip to Lahaul Spiti.

I would request for your suggestions to plan the drive. I am targeting:

- start early morning say around 4 am and drive till 8-9 PM. 15-16 hrs of comfort driving
- Minimal stopover and keep car stuffed with food & drinks. Avoid eating out unless strongly recommended
- Stay at decent place and would be great if I get to know some interesting place in Rajasthan without much detour from the highway
- Would it be good idea to go via Udaipur & return via Indore?
kumu28viv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 12:00   #53
ais
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Chandigarh - Mumbai trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumu28viv View Post
- Stay at decent place and would be great if I get to know some interesting place in Rajasthan without much detour from the highway
- Would it be good idea to go via Udaipur & return via Indore?
Can't say about the Udaipur road presently. I stayed at Jodhpur Welcomhotel resort and Spa. It was fantastic. The Jodhpur Ambala highway is pretty fresh too!
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 12:12   #54
BHPian

If you pass through Haryana which I think you would via GT Road watch out for hungry cops and maintain speed of 90. Had a horrendous experience in 2019 with coppers trying to milk every out of state vehicle.
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 15:48   #55

Thanks for this alternate i didn't think about.
Travel via Jodhpur looks good idea. Distance is almost similar between Mum-Chandigarh via Jodhpur or Udaipur. It also helps as i covered Lucknow-Mumbai via Udaipur in Nov'20 and some section of road after Udaipur was under construction.
Old 17th October 2021, 13:32   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this alternate i didn't think about.
Travel via Jodhpur looks good idea. Distance is almost similar between Mum-Chandigarh via Jodhpur or Udaipur. It also helps as i covered Lucknow-Mumbai via Udaipur in Nov'20 and some section of road after Udaipur was under construction.
Did you make the trip? Would be great if you could share your experience and condition of roads. I'm planning a trip next month and intend to go via Vadodara, Udaipur, Jaipur to Panchkula and return via Abohar, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Abu Road, Ahmedabad.

I intend to drive in a leisurely manner stopping at all a/m places except Abu Road.

Appreciate any suggestions from members, particularly on route between Jodhpur and Mumbai.
Old 17th October 2021, 15:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Appreciate any suggestions from members, particularly on route between Jodhpur and Mumbai.
Parents drove did the Mumbai - Ahmedabad (bypass) - Abu Road (night halt) - Jodhpur (via Pali) - Jaipur (bypass) - Gurgaon - Delhi NCR drive in Sept.

Good roads, not major issue. Just make sure you are not on Ahmedabad ring road during peak hours.

highway till ahmedabad is busy, but you can sustain good speeds. Plenty of rest stops & good food joints.

Gets less busy post Mehsana. I know some people who reach Jodhpur in one day, but its a very long drive. Yon can easily do on 2 days.
VT-RNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Parents drove did the Mumbai - Ahmedabad (bypass) - Abu Road (night halt) - Jodhpur (via Pali) - Jaipur (bypass) - Gurgaon - Delhi NCR drive in Sept.

Good roads, not major issue. Just make sure you are not on Ahmedabad ring road during peak hours.

highway till ahmedabad is busy, but you can sustain good speeds. Plenty of rest stops & good food joints.

Gets less busy post Mehsana. I know some people who reach Jodhpur in one day, but its a very long drive. Yon can easily do on 2 days.
That tells me the way back from Jodhpur to Mumbai should be okay as long as I avoid Ahmedabad ring road during peak hours. Thank you!
GauravTaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 21:05   #59

Gaurav My route was
Day 1 : Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Pali - Jodhpur 963 Km @ 63 KMPH approx 17 Hrs Journey
Day 2 : Jodhpur - Churu - Chandigarh. 730 Km @ 70 KMPH approx 11.5 Hrs Journey

Combination of 6 / 4 / 2 lane good condition roads. Traffic gets light when you are in Rajasthan.

We started around 440 AM from Navi Mumbai to beat the traffic on Ghodbunder road. Since this was the first leg of our journey, we didnt want to take any chance (Covid related) and had stuffed our car with sufficient food.

Took breakfast stop after Vapi & had Lunch at Reliance outlet before Ahmedabad (Vadodara - Ahmedabad E-Way). Peaceful place to have Lunch in car. If required one can pick up stuff from the food court.

Crossed Ahmedabad at around 3:30 PM. Fortunately traffic on ring road was moving and Google also suggested the same route.
kumu28viv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 10:57   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Gaurav My route was
Day 1 : Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Pali - Jodhpur 963 Km @ 63 KMPH approx 17 Hrs Journey
Day 2 : Jodhpur - Churu - Chandigarh. 730 Km @ 70 KMPH approx 11.5 Hrs Journey.
Thanks much for the information. Plus I have always admired the ability of folks to drive such long hours

Most Viewed