Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 13:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice:Trip to Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ I found the KL Duty Free to be very expensive, not worth considering.
I second that. In fact, I found cameras & lenses expensive in KL compared to India. (Even for made in Malaysia lenses)

@Honda Fan, I didn't see this thread before, but since you are traveling only in May here are some pointers from my side.

- There is Aquaria in KL, Langkawi and Singapore (Sentosa). I was told by a resident of KL that the Singapore one is best followed by KL and finally Langkawi. So, you can plan accordingly and try to go for the Singapore one.

- In Langkawi, ask around for the Island hopping tour rates before finalizing. Many agents quote different rate but at the end of the day, all tourists end up traveling together in shared boats. I think we paid 30 MYR per head for 1/2 day tour. The quotes varied from 30-60 for the same tour.

- Although Langkawi is termed duty free, I found many items overpriced. The canon lens which I had picked up from Bangalore for 10.7k a week before the trip was retailing for 15k there.

Last edited by Jaguar : 18th January 2011 at 13:25.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:59   #17
BHPian

I would be traveling with wifey to Malaysia next week. I've few queries regarding this.

1. I would be carrying a good amount USD with me, how much of MYR is required to carry along with this?

2. Should I exchange for MYR from India itself or can I do it after reaching Malaysia (KL)?

3. Would Cellphones and LED TVs be cheaper in Malaysia compared to India? if yes, which place would you suggest to shop (Mall/Street) ?

4. Which are the best places for apparel shopping (cheap, good quality, not branded)?
Old 16th March 2011, 21:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Which are the best places for apparel shopping (cheap, good quality, not branded)?
Since you are visiting KL, Jesco in Mid Valley Megamall is a good place to shop for Apparels. It would just save you the trip to China Town. For a person who can't bargain, China Town is not a very interesting place to shop.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I would be traveling with wifey to Malaysia next week. I've few queries regarding this.

1. I would be carrying a good amount USD with me, how much of MYR is required to carry along with this?

2. Should I exchange for MYR from India itself or can I do it after reaching Malaysia (KL)?

3. Would Cellphones and LED TVs be cheaper in Malaysia compared to India? if yes, which place would you suggest to shop (Mall/Street) ?

4. Which are the best places for apparel shopping (cheap, good quality, not branded)?
My 2 cents...

1) Carry about minimum MYR say about 200 to 300 with you and then convert the USD there.
2) Last i heard is, its best to convert in Malaysia, as rates are quite high here at present.
3) Cellphones & LED TVs are cheaper, but i caution you there are lots of duplicate items. You got to be really careful where you are buying. If its branded shop, then you may not find much difference in prices, but possibility of getting cheated is high.
4) China town is a usual shopping place, but you got to bargain well. Another word of caution, if you go to a shop there in china town and ask them for price, you got to buy it there, doesn't matter how much ever you bargain. You can ask for 100 MYR stuff for 40 MYR, but they won't allow you to leave that shop without a purchase. Watch out !

-Ravi
Old 18th September 2012, 11:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Need some guidance fellow travelers. I have planned a trip to malaysia in Dec and have already booked places for my stay at KL and Langkawi. I need some help regarding where to stay for the last leg of my trip which is Genting Highlands.
There are two options 1.Stay at the top where all the theme parks/hotels are located 2.Stay at Awana Resorts which is further down the hill and has a golf course.
What am concerned about is the noise/crowd at the top ,i prefer quiet/relaxing vacations. Awana is more suited to our needs BUT the reviews are not confidence inspiring at all and apparently the weather is not as cold as it is at the top.
Looking forward to some inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks