Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 23:31   #1

Advice:Trip to Malaysia

Hi Folks,

I am planning visit Malaysia for 5 days during Dec or May 2011 with my wife

Please help me to plan my itinerary.

I intend to visit langkawi, penang, KL in this trip.

Which is the best time to visit Malaysia?

I am open to a completely different plan or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Pavan
Old 14th October 2010, 11:20   #2
BHPian

Hi Hondafan,
I think you can visit Malaysia all through the year but summer might not be the best time, so December would probably be better.
Regarding the itinerary, you can book Air Asia directly from Bangalore to KL. There isn't much to visit in KL except for the buildings and some shopping, but the Petronas twin towers and the KL tower are a must see. You need to go early to get passes for the Petronas towers sky bridge.
Then you can either fly to Penang or book a bus or a train. There is a direct bridge from the mainland to Penang, so the cheaper option would be to take a train (although Airasia sometimes offers cheaper flights) . It's a great journey and the trains are very comfortable and spacious , unlike our trains.

From Penang, you can directly take a speed boat to Langkawi. It takes around 3 hours by boat , if i remember correctly. This is another amazing journey coz the boat keeps flying over the water most of the time, due to speed at which it travels. It is a bit scary in the beginning, but enjoyable after that.

I suggest you to plan to spend the maximum time in Langkawi as this is the place to have fun and do some duty free shopping. There a lot of things to see here and it is very cheap to stay. You can hire a car or a two wheeler and you can cover the whole island by yourself using a map.
You can flyback directly from Langkawi to KL and then back from there.
Do tell me if you need any help with the hotel bookings online.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:12   #3

thank you very much Newpunter

Air Asia works at the best for me. Thanks for the tip also they are way cheaper compared to other Airlines.

How about 2N/3D at Langkawi? Is it Sufficient also Please help me to plan the itinerary at Langkawi.

What are the other must see places at Malaysia? What do we have in Penang?
Old 14th October 2010, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Hi Hondafan,

Petronas Tower is generally closed on Mondays unless it happens to be a public holiday. Please keep this in mind while making your itinerary.

Regarding KL, you could also visit the KLCC Aquaria (part of the same complex as Petronas Towers). It would also be a good idea to stay in one of the hotels in the city centre area.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

honda_fan you would require atleast a min. of 2 days to cover KL. Please check posts from my travelogue starting from here (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour).

For Penang I would say pick up the tourist brochure at the KL airport , its available for free. Covers most of the places in Malaysia and you can decide what places you wanna visit.

Save your shopping for Langkawi since its a duty free island. You can rent a car there and drive around by yourself. Check lukeskywalker's travelogue on his trip to Langkawi, pretty detailed.

Quote:
How about 2N/3D at Langkawi? Is it Sufficient also Please help me to plan the itinerary at Langkawi.
Sounds good enough.

Last but not the least, hone your bargaining skills you will need it in Malaysia. For starters try our auto drivers in namma bengaluru, by the time you are set to travel am sure you would have earned yourself a doctorate in bargaining.

Happy tripping !!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 14th October 2010 at 13:58.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hondafan,

When you are in KL, don't forget to see Genting Highlands which is a must see. Its about an hour+ drive if i remember correctly from KL city. It will take almost one full day for Genting itself. The drive to Genting is awesome and its a fun place. And for Petronas, you should see it in both day as well as in the night. Night life is also good in some of the pubs there.

If you are a spiritual person, you can visit the famous Batu caves ( Lord Muruga temple) in KL which will take approx. 4 hrs.

Also, you can do good shopping in China town in KL.
I will give you a word of caution in china town in KL. If you enquire about the item you want to buy in a shop, you must buy in that shop but can't walk away without making a purchase. You can bargain 1/10th of the price they quote, but still you must buy in that shop itself. Thats their way of selling items.

If you have time and interest, you can goto Rain Forests called "Taman Negara" which is a overnight travel from KL. Since you have only 5 days trip, I would not suggest you to go there in first trip.

As a general tip for any foreign country visit, especially Malaysia, please keep a fotocopy of your passport always in hand with you wherever you roam in Malaysia. Not to scare you, in malaysia there are quite a few places which are not safe to go in the nights or after 7 or 8 pm. Just a word of caution. Please enquire about the safety of places you plan to go in your hotel itself.

BTW, are you not planning to see singapore, if you haven't seen it already?

-Ravi
Old 16th October 2010, 23:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Hi Hondafan,

Petronas Tower is generally closed on Mondays unless it happens to be a public holiday. Please keep this in mind while making your itinerary.

Regarding KL, you could also visit the KLCC Aquaria (part of the same complex as Petronas Towers). It would also be a good idea to stay in one of the hotels in the city centre area.
thank you sajidclt, I will make sure that i won't plan it on Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
honda_fan you would require atleast a min. of 2 days to cover KL. Please check posts from my travelogue starting from here (They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour).

For Penang I would say pick up the tourist brochure at the KL airport , its available for free. Covers most of the places in Malaysia and you can decide what places you wanna visit.

Save your shopping for Langkawi since its a duty free island. You can rent a car there and drive around by yourself. Check lukeskywalker's travelogue on his trip to Langkawi, pretty detailed.

Sounds good enough.

Last but not the least, hone your bargaining skills you will need it in Malaysia. For starters try our auto drivers in namma bengaluru, by the time you are set to travel am sure you would have earned yourself a doctorate in bargaining.

Happy tripping !!
thank you rjstyles69, your travelogue helped me a lot in planning.

Do we need to mandatory have an International Driving Licence to drive a car in Langkawi?

thanks for the tip on bargaining!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Hey Hondafan,

When you are in KL, don't forget to see Genting Highlands which is a must see. Its about an hour+ drive if i remember correctly from KL city. It will take almost one full day for Genting itself. The drive to Genting is awesome and its a fun place. And for Petronas, you should see it in both day as well as in the night. Night life is also good in some of the pubs there.

If you are a spiritual person, you can visit the famous Batu caves ( Lord Muruga temple) in KL which will take approx. 4 hrs.

Also, you can do good shopping in China town in KL.
I will give you a word of caution in china town in KL. If you enquire about the item you want to buy in a shop, you must buy in that shop but can't walk away without making a purchase. You can bargain 1/10th of the price they quote, but still you must buy in that shop itself. Thats their way of selling items.

If you have time and interest, you can goto Rain Forests called "Taman Negara" which is a overnight travel from KL. Since you have only 5 days trip, I would not suggest you to go there in first trip.

As a general tip for any foreign country visit, especially Malaysia, please keep a fotocopy of your passport always in hand with you wherever you roam in Malaysia. Not to scare you, in malaysia there are quite a few places which are not safe to go in the nights or after 7 or 8 pm. Just a word of caution. Please enquire about the safety of places you plan to go in your hotel itself.

BTW, are you not planning to see singapore, if you haven't seen it already?

-Ravi
thank you ravi,

Genting Higlands will be on my itinerary thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for your advice on safety in Malaysia. I will try to avoid unsafe places.

Yes i will be going to Singapore. I have been to Singapore two times so i am familiar with it.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Air Asia Cheap Tickets and Promotions.

Below are my plans

May 04 2011
Bangalore to Kuala Lumpur
Depart 1715 (Bang) - Arrive 2340 (KUL)

May 05 2011
@ Kuala Lumpur
Genting Higlands, Batu Caves

May 06 2011
@ Kuala Lumpur
KL City tour

May 07 2011
@ Kuala Lumpur
Not yet planned

May 08 2011
Checkout Kuala Lumpur this morning
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Langkawi (LGK)
Depart 1200 (KUL) - Arrive 1300 (LGK)
Rest of the day at @ Langkawi

May 09 2011
@ Langkawi
No Plans

May 10 2011
@ Langkawi
No Plans

May 11 2011
Checkout Langkawi this morning
Langkawi (LGK) to Singapore (SIN)
Depart 0855 (LGK) - Arrive 1020 (SIN)
Rest of the day at Singapore

May 12 2011
@ Singapore

May 13 2011
@ Singapore

May 14 2011
@ Singapore

May 15 2011

@ Singapore

May 16 2011
@ Singapore
Singapore (SIN) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
Depart 1140 - Arrive 1240
Catch the connecting flight to Bangalore
AK 211 Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Bangalore (BLR)
Depart 1510 - Arrive 1635

I haven't planned as of yet

Is it a wise idea to use Air Asia Flights everytime?

I really want to avoid coming back to KL from Singapore and again board the flight to Bangalore from KL. Please advice me in this regard.
I thought of boarding the flight directly from Singapore to Bangalore but prices seems to be very high. Singapore Airlines and Tiger Airways both tickets are very high compared to Air Asia's Rs. 1790 ticket.

I already have a Singapore Visa so would be fine if i enter Singapore from Malaysia? Are there any issues in that? I hope its not like i need to enter Singapore from India.

Btw i haven't booked the tickets yet. I will need to book the tickets before today as the promotion is ending today. Please advice... I will book the tickets based on your replies.
Old 17th October 2010, 00:19   #8
BHPian

I would advice a longer stay at Langkawi. It is so beautiful. Simply do not miss the one-day intro-diving experience. Its out-of-this-world if you haven't dived before. Just ask your hotel desk to arrange for it. They will pick you up from the hotel and then ferry you to the dive site. You can do this activity even if you can't swim. Have a blast !
Old 17th October 2010, 00:27   #9
BHPian

Well, here is my suggestion.

Quote:
May 05 2011
@ Kuala Lumpur
Genting Higlands, Batu Caves
If you aren't much of a spiritual person and want to visit Batu Caves just as a tourist, wake up early that day and leave the hotel by 7. Batu Caves is enroute to Genting Highlands, so you could make a stopover and then continue to Genting. Let me tell you, don't strike out Genting out of the itenary.

Quote:
May 07 2011
@ Kuala Lumpur
Not yet planned
See, here you have 2 options. If you like theme parks, then Sunway Lagoon is the way to go. It has 5 different theme parks in it and plus a large mall. Infact, I guess this is the biggest mall I have seen in the whole of South East Asia.

If you like wilderness, then this is for you. Go to Taman Negara. Though the stay bit expensive, you will enjoy it. But, you will have to cut 1 day short from Lankagwi to enjoy this place.

Quote:

I really want to avoid coming back to KL from Singapore and again board the flight to Bangalore from KL. Please advice me in this regard.
We used Air Asia for KUL-SIN-KUL. The flights were perfectly on time but the only grouse was that the legroom is a bit less (anyways, it won't matter since the flight is just for 1 hour).
Old 17th October 2010, 09:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we need to mandatory have an International Driving Licence to drive a car in Langkawi?
Nopes it wasn't needed.

Quote:
A little cramped, but then if you are flying SIN-KUL it doesn't really matter.The flight is less than an hour.

Quote:
I thought of boarding the flight directly from Singapore to Bangalore but prices seems to be very high. Singapore Airlines and Tiger Airways both tickets are very high compared to Air Asia's Rs. 1790 ticket.
The best thing to do is stick to one airline so that you always have the advantage of booking return journey tickets through them. If you are to fly back Tiger from SIN then am sure the costs will be a tad bit too high.

Instead fly back to KL and since all flights of AirAsia land and take off at the budget terminal, you don't have to do to much of walking around lugging your baggage.

Quote:
I already have a Singapore Visa so would be fine if i enter Singapore from Malaysia? Are there any issues in that? I hope its not like i need to enter Singapore from India.
I don't think you need to get another visa . The experts will confirm else simply contact a travel agent he can help you on that.

Quote:
Btw i haven't booked the tickets yet. I will need to book the tickets before today as the promotion is ending today. Please advice... I will book the tickets based on your replies.
Book KUL-BLR-KUL return right away. You can decide on the SIN -KL later. If you dint know you can take a bus from SIN-KUL and its a beautiful drive across the Johor Straits, fancy one ?
Old 18th October 2010, 17:40   #11

@prateekm
I am not more of a spiritual person. I hope 2-3hrs is enough to climb up and down the Batu Caves.
I read Genting Highlands is just a theme park. What are the must see attractions over there?
I have been to sentosa in Singapore, Is it same like Sentosa?

Thanks for the information on Sunway Lagoon, I will definatly visit there.

@rjstyles69

are you sure that we dont need a International Driving Licence?
Finally booked the return ticket (BLR-KL-BLR) as per your advice.

Ended by paying Rs. 6120.60 Per Pax for RTN Tickets (BLR-KL-BLR) include's Comfort Kit, 30KG Baggage Allowance, Hot Seats. I hope its a good deal.

Which airlines is better Tiger Airways or Air Asia when compared seats and legrooms?
Old 18th October 2010, 19:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Fan View Post
@prateekm
I am not more of a spiritual person. I hope 2-3hrs is enough to climb up and down the Batu Caves.
I read Genting Highlands is just a theme park. What are the must see attractions over there?
@rjstyles69

are you sure that we dont need a International Driving Licence?
2-3 hours should be fine for Batu Caves.

You don't need an international driving license. Your indian driving license would do just fine.
Old 18th October 2010, 20:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should be more than enough.

Quote:
You said it, make sure you take the cable ride. Check out the place and decide if you wanna take any of the rides .

Quote:
I have been to sentosa in Singapore, Is it same like Sentosa?
Not really, I don't think you can compare both except for the theme park.

Quote:
Which airlines is better Tiger Airways or Air Asia when compared seats and legrooms?
Both are cramped unless you want to book the 1st row seats.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:24   #14
BHPian

Re: Advice:Trip to Malaysia

Hi all,

I am travelling from SYDNEY to banagalore via Kaulalampur ,but i have 1.5 hrs transit time in KL international airport.
What can i buy in the duty free?
I was planning for CASIO PROTEK watch PRG240T 7D online its 220 AUD$ that is around Rs 10000/- INR. But i cant buy online as deleivery time is more and exceeds my tarvel time.
Hence planning to buy the same in KL duty free in the terminal.Can anyone confirm that these watches are available in Airport duty free.....

Also please advice what else can be bought at the airport duty free....?
Old 18th January 2011, 12:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice:Trip to Malaysia

^^ I found the KL Duty Free to be very expensive, not worth considering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks