Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 20:39   #1
BHPian

KGP-HYD & Bangalore-KGP

Many of you know that I am a Prof at IIT-KGP. In December we have 3 weeks inter-semester break and I am doing some planning.

I have a Maruti Swift here at IIT. Earlier this year, I bought a previously-owned Mahindra Jeep in Bangalore & it is there with an old friend of mine. I am thinking of the following 2 options to do during the 3-week break:

1. Go to Bangalore & drive the Jeep to Hyderabad. I have train tickets booked from KGP-HYD & return as well.

2. Since my friend in Bangalore with whom the Jeep is presently says that it is a statement of "who you are" just like a Bullet (he has one), I am also wondering if it would be prudent to drive the Swift to Hyderabad and leave it there (as I go there often to my parents place and can use it when I visit). I could then either drive the Jeep from Bangalore to KGP or have it transported. It would be a long drive and I could have one of my students accompany on the whole trip. If instead I have the Jeep transported, what would be the best way to do so in terms of hassles?

Please advice.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 15th October 2010, 00:33   #2
BHPian

Sir,

I had done a road trip from IIT Kharagpur to Hyderabad. This was 3 years back.

If you want a peaceful way out, there are lots of transport agencies which can transport your vehicles. Unless you are absolutely passionate about driving/road travel, I would suggest to not do this long drive. Also its best to have company on such long drives.

However, below is the short summary of the route that I have taken.

From Kharagpur head towards the Kolkata Highway (There is a junction after the Reliance petrol pump). Take Left there onto NH6. (Taking right there takes you to Kolkata)
Head on this highway for around 80/90 kms. You have to turn left here for Bhubaneshwar (dont remember the exact place to turn left).The signboards on highway are abundant and you can easily find this point. After this point you will be on NH5
Then follow the Bhubaneshwar route (On route you will find Baleshwar and Cuttack).
Other route: One can reach Baleshwar from back side of campus through the road that passes the Dulal Nandi, air forcebase, Hatgeria and Belda. But this road was in bad shape and single laned to some extent and I was warned by police not to stop any place on this route since locals are known to loot travelers at night on this stretch. Hence this road is not preferable.

Continue on this NH5 via Vizag upto Rajamundry. NH5 is completely 4 laned and apart from few bad stretches in Orissa, it is in good shape. On this route one can see glimpses of the famous Chilka lake. Other important towns are Behrampur, Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Vizag, Tuni and then Rajamundry.

I will suggest that please do the route from Kharagpur, through Orissa and upto Srikakulam from 6 am to 7pm only (during daylight). It is famous for anti-social elements on this route. If you find yourself driving at night, please follow a group of trucks.

From Rajamundry, you need to take head towards Khammam (Dont remember the exact location to take the diversion on the highway).
Then from Khammam - Suryapet - Hyderabad. I must warn you that from Suryapet onwards, the road is in terrible condition due to construction work going on.
From Khammam, you can also reach Hyderabad through Khammam - Venkatapur - Pembarti (where you touch national highway and is in good condition ) - Bhongir - Bibinagar - Hyderabad.

This route comes close to 1500 kms and a night stay at Vizag or Vizianagaram is highly recommended.

There is one more route Kharagpur - NH6 - Nagpur - NH7 - Hyderabad. I have not done this stretch. May be hvkumar sir can help you with this route.

Bangalore Hyderabad route is completely 4 laned and is in excellent condition apart from a km stretch near Kurnool. If you have the vehicle you can maintain 90kmph as an average. You can find lots of info regarding this route in this forum. If you need any specific help on this route, please let me know

All the best if you are up for the really long journey

Last edited by himavanth_m : 15th October 2010 at 00:36.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks Himavant

I think your suggestion is appropriate (get a transportation company to move the car from KGP to HYD and the Jeep from BLR to KGP). I love driving and have been doing so for 30 years now.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 17th October 2010, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have done various long distance drives as well as got cars transported by trucks (as a result of relocation) more than once. My advice would be to drive the Swift from KGP to Hyd as the road (except certain places in Orissa ) is pretty good. You can get an idea about the condition of roads from this travelogue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eet-party.html

The Bangalore -Hyderabad road is pretty good and you can get the latest road condition here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...onditions.html

Having had cars transported previously, I have seen them getting invariably damaged in transit. As Swift is a pretty reliable vehicle, you can easily drive it down in 2 days. As regards to the Jeep, I would suggest either option after knowing the condition of the Jeep and its present condition.

Cheers
Old 24th October 2010, 10:24   #5
BHPian

Some changes in my plan. It looks like I have to go to Delhi on Dec 8th at the start of our inter-semester break. If I stay there for a week, I would then fly down to Bangalore on 15th or so. That would mean that I would drive or transport the Jeep from Bangalore to IIT-KGP.

I am thinking of contacting the KGP Mahindra dealership and finding out if they transport their vehicles from Bangalore and can they help.

The other option is to drive leisurely first from Bangalore to Hyderabad (2 days with overnight at Kurnool). From the map I see that Bangalore to Kurnool is 348 km which can be done in a day. The remaining 208 km to Hyderabad can be done the next day. After a few days with my parents and Nattu (my German Shepard who I am thinking of bringing to IIT-KGP -it's a big maybe since my parents are taking wonderful care of him and have got attached to him and ofcourse he reciprocates by licking and wagging his large tail ). Hyderabad to Vijaywada is 271 km and from there to Vizag is 366 km. Vizag to Bhubaneswar will be another full day of driving, a night halt and then off to Kharagpur.

It will be a long drive and I am not sure if I should put the Jeep through this, plus it is not going to be very comfortable (after all it is a Jeep not a sedan!).

Me thinks that having it transported is the best option!

If any Team-BHP member can recommend a transportation company I would welcome that.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 24th October 2010, 11:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Professor Sahb.

Jeep is a very reliable vehicle, but it lacks the comfort of a sedan.

I own a 1942 GPW.I have done numerous trips from Hyderabad to my hometown Raichur (N.Karnataka) and it has never let me down.

BTW-What is the condition of your Mahindra Jeep.?
Old 24th October 2010, 12:03   #7
BHPian

Silverwood

Thanks for the nice post. My Jeep was posted on Team-BHP classified some time ago - a nice Red one! Jaggu has seen it and I can attach a pic. I think it is in very good condition.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Attached Thumbnails
KGP-HYD & Bangalore-KGP-jeepred.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Professor Sahb

Your Jeep looks stunning.

Get a general checkup (Engine oil, break oil etc) of your Jeep before you embark on this journey.

Betw-Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in a single day,NH7 is in great condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks