Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 11:09   #121
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Any good restaurants on Salem-Namakkal-Trichy route preferrably off the highway without going too much inside the towns?
There is a A2B at Namakkal, if that suits you. Google maps location. Please note the location on the map is not accurate. This place is on the main road itself.

If you are taking the Karur route, then you have coastal Residency on the Namakkal bypass. Really good food. Recommended.

Last edited by Landkruzer : 20th October 2015 at 11:11. Reason: corrected typo
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 16:08   #122
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Folks,

Can anyone help me with the best route to take from Mysore to Tanjavur? I will be starting early on day 1, plan to reach Tanjavur by night. Will stay in Tanjavur overnight, get done with temple visits in the morning and immediately head back to Mysore on day 2.

I'm well aware of the Mysore-Coimbatore highway, and I believe the route will be the same till Sathyamangalam. What route should I take from Sathy to Tanjavur? Would prefer a good comfortable drive, even if it is slightly longer. Please advise

Thanks a lot,
Kaushik
Old 29th August 2016, 16:15   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
I'm well aware of the Mysore-Coimbatore highway, and I believe the route will be the same till Sathyamangalam. What route should I take from Sathy to Tanjavur? Would prefer a good comfortable drive, even if it is slightly longer. Please advise
Mysore-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy-Annur-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur-Trichy-Tanjore.

That I think should be a good option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 16:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Mysore-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy-Annur-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Kangeyam-Karur-Trichy-Tanjore.

That I think should be a good option.
Thanks! Will take this route. Also what would be an approximate drive time for the Sathy-Tanjore leg? If I set off from Mysore at 6, I should be reaching Sathy around 10 or so. By when can I hope to reach Tanjore? Any particular streches of bad roads/ traffic I must be aware of?

Many thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:25   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
Thanks! Will take this route. Also what would be an approximate drive time for the Sathy-Tanjore leg? If I set off from Mysore at 6, I should be reaching Sathy around 10 or so. By when can I hope to reach Tanjore? Any particular streches of bad roads/ traffic I must be aware of?
I think another 6 hours easily. Given its a 2-lane traffic most of the time, you should account for lower average speeds.
Old 29th August 2016, 21:15   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally makes no sense to go via Avinashi. I would suggest one of the following choices from Sathy:

1. Sathy-Gobi-Bhavani-Erode-Kodumudi-Karur-Musiri-Number 1 tollgate-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur - Am not sure how to bypass Erode here. Pretty sure it needn't be touched get on to Kodumudi.

2. Sathy - Gobi- Bhavani-Salem bypass-Namakkal-Musiri/Thuraiyur-Number 1 tollgate-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur.

Given the 4-lane availability, I'd suggest the 2nd option. Drive time should still be above 5 hours from Sathy.

There are shortcuts from Bhavani to Namakkal via Tiruchengode which is the bus route for Trichy-Erode buses. But not sure about the current conditions.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 22:42   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
1. Sathy-Gobi-Bhavani-Erode-Kodumudi-Karur-Musiri-Number 1 tollgate-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur - Am not sure how to bypass Erode here. Pretty sure it needn't be touched get on to Kodumudi.
A variation of this is the default Google option, which does make sense. But the reason I wont suggest is not about the amount cross roads, the OP may have to wade through. Hence suggested simplest of all.

Quote:
2. Sathy - Gobi- Bhavani-Salem bypass-Namakkal-Musiri/Thuraiyur-Number 1 tollgate-Trichy bypass-Thanjavur.

Given the 4-lane availability, I'd suggest the 2nd option. Drive time should still be above 5 hours from Sathy.
Salem does not make sense to me because beside 4-lane I am not sure if we can gain time. Plus time lost in crossing the city. Salem-Namakkal traffic not to talk about and crossing Namakkal town.

Quote:
There are shortcuts from Bhavani to Namakkal via Tiruchengode which is the bus route for Trichy-Erode buses. But not sure about the current conditions.
This can be tried.

My ideal route would be Sathy-Gobi-Chengapalli-Kangeyam-Karur-Trichy-Tanjore.

Except for Trichy every town is bypassed. If OP can trace this through nothing like it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 23:13   #128
BHPian

My suggestions are as follows:

Option 1: Sathy - Gobi - Erode - Karur - Trichy - Thanjavur.

Option 2: Sathy - Perundurai - Erode - Karur - Trichy - Thanjavur.

Option 3: Sathy - Kangeyam ( via Uthukuli) - Karur - Musiri - Trichy - Thanjavur.

Option 4: Sathy - Gobi - Erode - Thiruchengode - Namakkal - Musiri - Trichy - Thanjavur.

Travel time depends on the lorry traffic between Karur - Trichy / Namakkal - Trichy.
Old 30th August 2016, 13:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for Trichy every town is bypassed.
Trichy is the easiest to bypass. If coming from Namakkal, its either of the 2 options:

1. Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate
2. Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Nochiyam-Number 1 Tollgate

At Number 1 Tollgate, if you take a right it takes you across Kollidam bridge (a narrow bridge across Kaveri which is now open only to light vehicles, all buses and lorries take the left i mention below) to Thiruvanaikoil/Srirangam et al. You should take a left at the Number 1 Tollgate, in half a km you'll meet the Trichy NH45 bypass. Take a right here that's all. You should breeze till Thanjavur exit which is about 15 km away.
Old 30th August 2016, 13:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trichy is the easiest to bypass. If coming from Namakkal, its either of the 2 options:

1. Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate

At Number 1 Tollgate, if you take a right it takes you across Kollidam bridge (a narrow bridge across Kaveri which is now open only to light vehicles, all buses and lorries take the left i mention below) to Thiruvanaikoil/Srirangam et al..
New bridge over Kollidam is open so no issues.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 13:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
New bridge over Kollidam is open so no issues.
Thanks. A year back, they were in the early stages of the bridge work at the Number 1 Tollgate end.

To reach Thanjavur though, it makes sense to catch the bypass at Number 1 tollgate itself.
Old 30th August 2016, 14:46   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At Number 1 Tollgate, if you take a right it takes you across Kollidam bridge (a narrow bridge across Kaveri which is now open only to light vehicles, all buses and lorries take the left i mention below) to Thiruvanaikoil/Srirangam et al. You should take a left at the Number 1 Tollgate, in half a km you'll meet the Trichy NH45 bypass. Take a right here that's all. You should breeze till Thanjavur exit which is about 15 km away.
This road is always crowded around Srirangam/Thiruvanaikoil. That was point. Especially if you are coming from NH67 (Musiri) its a pain. If coming via Thiraiyur, you get wade through to get to the toll gate. With the amount of turns its not easy with open-up a GPS.

With the new bridge that is also resolved.
Old 30th August 2016, 15:52   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This road is always crowded around Srirangam/Thiruvanaikoil. That was point. Especially if you are coming from NH67 (Musiri) its a pain. If coming via Thiraiyur, you get wade through to get to the toll gate. With the amount of turns its not easy with open-up a GPS.
The reason of going via Musiri is to avoid the Thiruvanaikoil traffic. If you are coming from NH67, you have to take the bridge across Kaveri at Kulithalai to get to Musiri and then the SH25 till Number 1 Tollgate. Taking the NH67 all the way will land you at Chathiram bus stand, wading through this mess will take a lot more time and effort than coming via Musiri. If you are doing it in daytime, Musiri route isn't that bad, the death-wish Namakkal Salem buses of 80s and 90s have largely mellowed down when I compare them to how I've seen them since 2010.

The lack of signages inside Trichy city don't make it easy either. I've gotten lost twice taking the wrong turn and circling Trichy city.

If you catch the bypass at Number 1 tollgate, you won't see any of Trichy traffic at all, except the minimal traffic on the Trichy bypass.

I havent been through Thuraiyur so can't comment, have been through Musiri thrice a year over 30 years.

As such new Kollidam bridge doesnt change anything much for the route am suggesting, the mess actually starts as you get closer to Thiruvanaikoil. If anything, it should've made things worser as heavy vehicles (all Lalgudi, SH25, Samayapuram bound buses and lorries) will now take the new Kollidam bridge rather than diverting to the bypass as they used to do in the interim.

Quote:
Salem does not make sense to me because beside 4-lane I am not sure if we can gain time. Plus time lost in crossing the city. Salem-Namakkal traffic not to talk about and crossing Namakkal town.
I've crossed Salem and done Salem-Namakkal, was rather greeted with near empty roads on Salem-Namakkal. Salem bypass I agree, but speeds are on par with what you would do on a 2-laner on the bypass section. Bhavani-Salem-Namakkal is around 110 km, which can be done in 90-100 min. Another 90 min for Namakkal-Number 1 Tollgate, 20-30 min to get to Thanjavur exit,45-60 min to reach Thajavur. Sathy-Bhavani is another 60-75 min.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:12   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you catch the bypass at Number 1 tollgate, you won't see any of Trichy traffic at all, except the minimal traffic on the Trichy bypass.
I agree. Even I have been through this quite easily. But only issue is if some one does not these locations, he needs to have navigation in handy.

Quote:
I havent been through Thuraiyur so can't comment, have been through Musiri thrice a year over 30 years.
Wow! Thats long. I have been through Thuraiyur. Amazing roads, but again, navigations needs to be in handy. Thats why I was not suggesting earlier.

Quote:
I've crossed Salem and done Salem-Namakkal, was rather greeted with near empty roads on Salem-Namakkal. Salem bypass I agree, but speeds are on par with what you would do on a 2-laner on the bypass section. Bhavani-Salem-Namakkal is around 110 km, which can be done in 90-100 min. Another 90 min for Namakkal-Number 1 Tollgate, 20-30 min to get to Thanjavur exit,45-60 min to reach Thajavur. Sathy-Bhavani is another 60-75 min.
I am not denying it all. Just the basic school /college buses apart from the need to get into Namakkal town along with Salem bypass traffic. Hence my point on going via Karur/NH67.
Old 27th September 2017, 09:54   #135
Senior - BHPian

We are planning a 3 day trip covering most of these places in the coming long weekend.

Day 1 - Bangalore - Trichy (Ranganathaswamy) - Tanjore(Brihadeeswara) - Trichy(halt)
Day 2 - Trichy - Kumbakonam temples (halt)
Day 3 - Kumbakonam - Nerur - Bangalore

1. Please suggest if this plan is feasible in terms of the time available and the best routing
2. What are the stay options available in these places mentioned (for 10 adults)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks