Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon to Aligarh route query

Dear Friends,

I am to make it to a wedding to Aligarh this Thursday. The timing does not suit a train journey.

Kindly suggest the best route. I will be driving down with two ladies in the evening.

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2010, 23:01   #2
BHPian

Its been a couple of years but I last drove to Aligarh via Faridabad -> Palwal -> Tappal -> Khair.

The road's were ok but the speed-breakers were gigantic. Watch out if you drive something with low GC.
Old 19th October 2010, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

@CrackedHead: Thanks buddy, I had the same route envisioned and also searched GoogleMaps however, I want assurance that the roads are better as I do not want to risk anything driving at night. I plan to start at 6 and reach by 10 taking an hour on the safe side.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

An update:

I used Gurgaon KMP -> Palwal-> Aligarh route.

1. KMP is a very nice find. The road is very new and smooth no speedbreakers

There are no indication of any cuts and in the evening I lost my way and thus over shot Nuh and had to retract up to Nuh before taking road to Palwal. Thus I will recommend to avoid this as of now. Once done it will be brilliant [very very less traffic, love the fast curves and the road is extremely nice- I think this is some new compound they are using, or was I dreaming].

2. Instead of 135 km to Aligarh I had to do 199 but whos complaining [only mum and wife], they are paranoid to travel by road at night on State highway that had zilch lights.

3. Road from Palwal to Aligarh, roads you say, what roads? Just close your eyes each time the crater or gorge of a road cut comes shooting at you. Actually by this time my wife was driving, she was doing great as I am not good at all driving in the glare of oncoming traffic high beam. God people, please please dip your beams, the other person might be really blinded and actually drive straight into you rather than avoid you.

Thank God this time we took trusty warrior Accent and not the new boy ANHC, it would not have survived the bumps. On the other hand, Accent was doing just great wife caught hold of a Linea that was driving fast and she trailed it at a good distance making a bit easier on the car.

I love this technique of following at a distance, the other car slows or takes evasive maneuvers, you can slow down and enjoy a relatively better ride protecting the car and passengers from harsh and avoidable trauma.

Thus starting at 5pm we reached on time at 9.30pm even after the extra 60 kms I added by enjoying the lost way.

4. Ride back home was very comfortable and starting at 9.40 am, reached Gurgaon by 1.30pm. The older route and its just perfect. 135kms and back home.

MODS: Kindly close the thread at will.

Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like whichever route you take, the roads to Aligarh are something to remember!!!

Last week, my friend drove on the Mathura-Aligarh road, reported similar conditions.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the trip was memorable. The roads are the arteries of a super nation and we definitely need to unclog and get them in shape big time. The roads from Palwal to Gurgaon NH71B is in top notch condition. Those kilometers were a breeze.

A lot of fuel can be saved, but Behen Mayawati has to understand what growth is. Sorry to go politico.

Go Drive!!!
Old 24th October 2010, 10:42   #7
BHPian

I was planning to drive to Lucknow this coming weekend. But I have to go visit some relatives in Kannauj first. I know NH91 goes striaght there via Aligarh. But I dont want to take this route, rather I plan to drive on NH2 as far as possible and then take a detour to Kannauj. Any idea where should I go off NH2? Shikohabad? Etwah?
Old 24th October 2010, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

^ brother, I am not good with this route.

I think your point of contact in Kannauj will give you better idea of the route and local conditions.

Have a safe trip.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

I goto some distance away from Khurja Junction, from Ghaziabad, hence go via Dadri, Sikandrabad, Bulandshahar.

Since all of them are in UP, as soon as Dadri is crossed horrible roads take over. And the distance of 125 kms + takes 4 hrs.

How much time does it take from Palwal to Jattari ?
Old 25th October 2010, 13:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Yes, the trip was memorable. The roads are the arteries of a super nation and we definitely need to unclog and get them in shape big time. The roads from Palwal to Gurgaon NH71B is in top notch condition. Those kilometers were a breeze.

Go Drive!!!
oh GEEZ. That is crazy. I just drove to lucknow over the weekend. I went MAD GolfCourseRoad extn-Genpact-Faridabad through the craters and then the mess over at Kanpur. Driving time went up from 8.5 hrs to 11 hours. Was wondering about the Palwal - Sohna stretch but decided not to risk it. Seems I was an idiot.

(I stay 1km away from badshahpur - what a loss!)
Old 25th October 2010, 14:40   #11
BHPian

^^ Why didn't you travel via Mathura, agra ? Much better road.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Palwal to Aligarh took us 2.30 hours. While coming back in broad daylight it took us just 1.30

@Phamilyman: I know that is the reason I got lost in KMP, I too did not wished to risk and ended up lost 90 extra kilometers out of which 30 in hell as both mother and wife were annoyed at me grinning and gunning to reach Palwal. I think you did atleast 50 extra kms that too in the thick of traffic.

@Crackedhead: Nice suggestion.

Once I did Gurgaon Kanpur and we reached the destination in 5.5 hours flat. The Vtec ZX did the service then.

If someone is game for Sunday morning trip towards Nuh the roads are smooth as butter I think I will get lost once more in day time and put some numbers on the car. The road is that good.
Old 9th October 2015, 19:58   #13

Re: Gurgaon to Aligarh route query

Folks, I am taking a trip from Gurgaon to Agra tomorrow. Taking the following route:
Starting from Sohna Rd. (248A)=> Sohna city => 71B to Palwal => from Palwal will take 22A road to Aligarh via Jhuppa-Hamidpur-Tappal => after Tappal will join the YamunaExpWay.

Is this route fine? Is the road from Palwal to YEY OK?

Alternate route is to take the YEY from G.NOIDA. But I think the first option through Palwal will save time, distance and some toll

Any thoughts please!
Old 21st October 2015, 21:33   #14

For the benefit of travellers from Gurgaon to Agra. I did my trip on 10th Oct. '15 and took the following route as planned:

Started from Sohna Rd. (248A)=> Sohna city => 71B to Palwal => from Palwal took 22A road to Aligarh via Jhuppa-Hamidpur-Tappal => after Tappal joined the YamunaExpWay.

From Subhash Chowk to YEW joining point distance was 81 Km. The road till Palwal is very good and uniform through out. Crossing Palwal to get on to 22A took about 15 minutes due to local traffic (crossed at 4 PM). The road from Palwal till YEW is also good with some minor rough spots. The exception was a 500 mtr stretch a few Kms after Palwal which was completely muddy (wet and slushy). Smaller local cars like Alto were getting through it but one had to be careful in navigating. Looked like that stretch was under construction and could get done in a few weeks.

By taking this route I completely avoided the traffic congestion of GGN-Delhi-NOIDA and also skipped the YEW first toll saving ~150 Rs . The total distance from Sohna road to Agra came out to be ~210 Kms. If I had taken the GGN-Delhi_NOIDA route it would have added another 40 Kms, so saved on that too. Total travel time was about 3.25 hours, did 120 to 140 once on YEW.
Old 13th August 2018, 19:00   #15

Does anyone has any updates on the road condition of SH22A from Palwal =>Tappal=>YEW ? The last time I had attempted it was on around Dec 2016. I had got done from YEW to come to GGN via Palwal thru this route but the road was like hell and had massive truck jam. After an hour long struggle returned back to YEW and came to GGN through NOIDA=> Delhi.
In my recent research found that there was a big tender out in 2016 and is currently being four laned BUT, I am not sure if its yet a decent motorable road. Saw a traveller's video on youtube from October/November 2017 and the road was all muddy (4 laning in slooow progress) with long truck jams. Not expecting any wonders but please let me know if anyone has recent updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks