Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 15:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Goa Vacation for First Timers

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post

4. I am planning to take a flight one way and train from other to catch scenic train views people have recommended. Does Trvndrum Rajdhani take that Konkan rail route to Madgon? If not, is there any other train from Delhi which take that route?

7. Given we have two kids, we cant take a bike/scooter on rent, can we?

PS – I may add more questions if there is a need
Yes, TVM Rajdhani takes the Konkan route and passes through Madgaon, it takes around 25- 26 hours from Delhi I suppose. Anyways, I would suggest you take train for one side since the Konkan railway is an architectural marvel you have to see.

Regarding renting bike, may be it depends on from where you rent it and also those who have rented bike in this forum will be able to comment better, however when me and friends went to Goa we were advised against taking rented bike by hotel guys saying sometimes the bike guys take the bike from any place you would have parked while sight seeing using duplicate key. And later ask you to pay up for the same.

This made us decide against getting a bike on rent. However as i said its something the hotel guys had said and not sure if they had any vested intrest in the same ( like we may end up getting taxi on rent from them).
Old 13th June 2011, 15:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the period to avoid Goa is beteen 15 Dec To 15 Jan when rates are sickeningly high. I would highy recommend Novemeber or after Jan 15. Also look at this cute place in Agonda, South Goa called "Dwarka". Beautiful location and decent price. Exclusive cottage resort on beautiful,secluded,unspoilt stretch of virgin Dwarka beach,South Goa,India. Goa tourism has day long sightseeing trip. But as Mobilke rightly said it is too hurried affair. Cab rates are not bad in Goa and distances are not huge and it makes sense to hire cab. If you are planning in Jan, you can also witness fabulous sunset which is not possible in Sep - Oct. (Sent from my Blackberry)
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 16:11   #48
BHPian

Tahnks Fauji, mobike,mpksuhas and others. Overwhelmed with the gesutre.

Fauji: This Dwarka place looks awesome. Just the kind of place if you want to get hold of lost Goa. In fact one of our collegues have been thier guest. Their opinion was that with two kids less than 5, this may just not be the place for you. To quote him "You are either late by 5 years or you are early by 20 years before you go to this hotel"
Old 13th June 2011, 17:14   #49
BHPian

@New.Novice - thought to share info about this hotel that we stayed at in Baga, called Colonia Santa Maria (Colonia Santa Maria: Colonia Santa Maria Hotel is your perfect Goan haven.), very recently. The rooms were very decent and I chatted with the front desk official while I was checking out. He said that during the monsoon season (June 1 - Sep 30) the rates are as low as 1800/night, with breakfast. I would recommend this place for its location with respect to the beach. Access to the beach is very easy. However, it does not fit your requirement on one account - you can't see the sea from the sit-outs. However, you might be able to catch a glimpse of the sea from their rooms in block-15.

For food I would recommend Souza Lobo's in Calangute and a small Tibetan place on the first floor (I can't remember the name) right next to the Calangute football ground, on the Calangute beach road. They make fabulous momos and the owner is very nice and chatty. For some reason, I just hated the food at Britto's, though there is a peppy feel about this place, and is highly recommended by most people.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:07   #50
BHPian

Thanks for all the valuable information made avaialble on Goa. This will be of immense help for the first timers like me.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
@New.Novice - thought to share info about this hotel that we stayed at in Baga, called Colonia Santa Maria (Colonia Santa Maria: Colonia Santa Maria Hotel is your perfect Goan haven.), very recently. The rooms were very decent and I chatted with the front desk official while I was checking out. He said that during the monsoon season (June 1 - Sep 30) the rates are as low as 1800/night, with breakfast. I would recommend this place for its location with respect to the beach. Access to the beach is very easy. However, it does not fit your requirement on one account - you can't see the sea from the sit-outs. However, you might be able to catch a glimpse of the sea from their rooms in block-15.
Since I'm from Goa, I thought I might add a few inputs to this rather interesting thread. It's always enlightening to read about an "outsider's" perspective on Goa.

Now, it so happened that my dad owned a portion of a villa (2 rooms and a bathroom) at CSM from 1988 to 2009. Unfortunately, following his demise in 2008, my mum and sis decided to sell it off in 2009. While we owned the place, we (as owners were entitled to 21 days of free stay anytime between May and September). Unfortunately, this offer always remained unused as we would use the place for a max of 3 days.

There is a gentleman (Inacio) who used to privately own (not sure if he still does) a few villas at CSM and he would give those rooms on rent at much cheaper rates.

In case you all need any info (read 'facts') on Goa, feel free to ask me. I'll try my best to respond to the request, though it may not always be possible for me to do so, given my work schedule.

CAVEAT: I will not provide 'opinion' on issues pertaining to quality, standard, etc, as those are highly subjective, especially here in Goa. For example, a restaurant highly recommended by someone could be considered thrash by another person. Having said that, I can easily pick up information/details on tariffs, facilities, heritage, places, directions, etc. for a team-bhpian interested in visiting Goa.

Last edited by misquitas : 13th June 2011 at 23:30.
misquitas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 16:38   #52
BHPian

That will be awesome misquitas. Will get in touch with you thro PM when my plans finalise. Once again, thanks for being such a sport.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I will not provide 'opinion' on issues pertaining to quality, standard, etc, as those are highly subjective, especially here in Goa. For example, a restaurant highly recommended by someone could be considered thrash by another person.
Very interesting Misquitas and thank you for sharing.

I totally agree with you that likes and dislikes are very subjective. However, let me persist and ask you this. Between Brittos and Souza Lobos, which one would you rate higher for the quality of the food that they serve and value-for-money? My feeling was that Brittos had more of a party atmosphere when compared to Souza Lobos. Again, I felt that the quality and price of food were much better and more reasonable at Souza Lobos.

Would appreciate your view on this.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Folks - Has anybody from Bangalore driven to Goa recently? Planning a road trip this weekend. Any info on road conditions would be helpful.

Though I am not a first timer there. Been there umpteen times. But its been ages since I took the road.

Thankz
Shubz

Last edited by Shubz : 27th June 2011 at 21:33.
Old 27th June 2011, 22:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Folks - Has anybody from Bangalore driven to Goa recently? Planning a road trip this weekend. Any info on road conditions would be helpful.

Though I am not a first timer there. Been there umpteen times. But its been ages since I took the road.

Thankz
Shubz
BLR-HUBLI via NH4-Yellapur(via NH63)-Ankola-Karwar-Panjim.NH4,63 & 17 all are in excellent conditions.

Dharwad-Ramnagar road has been reported to be bad,though Ramnagar onwards towards Goa is good.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 23:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
BLR-HUBLI via NH4-Yellapur(via NH63)-Ankola-Karwar-Panjim.NH4,63 & 17 all are in excellent conditions.

Dharwad-Ramnagar road has been reported to be bad,though Ramnagar onwards towards Goa is good.
Thanks Ranjit. Another question - What about filling stations after Dharwad? Got plenty or not until we join NH4?
Old 28th June 2011, 02:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

And also advise on night driving. Safe to drive at night?
Old 28th June 2011, 09:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit. Another question - What about filling stations after Dharwad? Got plenty or not until we join NH4?
Though this road may be good, don't miss to do the Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Savantwadi - Panjim route at this time of the year. Driving through Amboli ghat during this time is heavenly. We had driven on this route in 2009 in July and we were virtually driving under a canopy of water falls. Just do it atleast one way. The road till Belgaum is class and beyond till Panjim is generally in good condition with hardly any traffic. It is a pleasure to drive on this strectch.

Take a look at these images of Amboli

Ratnagiri Photos|Ratnagiri Pictures|Ratnagiri Photo Gallery|Amboli-Ghat

You will see this water falls on the road itself.

Amboli - Photos
Old 28th June 2011, 11:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And also advise on night driving. Safe to drive at night?
No problems with night driving,though the NH63 & NH4A are isolated stretches during the night.NH17 from Ankola is slightly better off.But if you start from Bangalore in the night,it would be early morning by the time you reach these stretches.NH4 is absolutely no problems at night

As for petrol pumps,there is a BP COCO outlet on NH63 nearer to Ankola,and a couple of local pumps on the NH63,on NH17 also there are a couple of outlets.I would reccomend you tank up on NH4 itself,as I dont think the NH63 pumps are 24hour ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Though this road may be good, don't miss to do the Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Savantwadi - Panjim route at this time of the year. Driving through Amboli ghat during this time is heavenly. We had driven on this route in 2009 in July and we were virtually driving under a canopy of water falls. Just do it atleast one way. The road till Belgaum is class and beyond till Panjim is generally in good condition with hardly any traffic. It is a pleasure to drive on this strectch.

Take a look at these images of Amboli

Ratnagiri Photos|Ratnagiri Pictures|Ratnagiri Photo Gallery|Amboli-Ghat

You will see this water falls on the road itself.

Amboli - Photos
Fauji,Amboli is still suffering from landslide effects that happened a couple of weeks back and the region is experiencing heavy rainfall.At the moment,Amboli ghats are open only from 6am to 6pm but even then I dont think it is a good idea to go via that route at the moment.Amboli is best avoided for now,
Old 28th June 2011, 11:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Fauji,Amboli is still suffering from landslide effects that happened a couple of weeks back and the region is experiencing heavy rainfall.At the moment,Amboli ghats are open only from 6am to 6pm but even then I dont think it is a good idea to go via that route at the moment.Amboli is best avoided for now,
Thanks Ranjit. Wasn't aware of the latest situation on the ghat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks