Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 14:39   #151
Team-BHP Support

Not sure of the current status. But as of what I know, pretty busy station (no many trains though). Limited eating options. You need to take an auto to get out of the place.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:41   #152
BHPian

Why insist on staying in Madgaon? its a sad place.

if i am not riding and tkaing the train, i usually take the next Kadamba bus out to the beach of choice: in my case mostly Palolem.
Old 29th October 2010, 03:50   #153
BHPian

Madgaon does have retiring rooms but they can't be booked in advance, to the best of my knowledge. You could enquire with the station master immediately on arrival. Checking into a hotel room for 3-4 hours seems like overkill. You could 'freshen up' in the waiting room - the station premises seem clean and safe. The main platform has both a veg and a non-veg refreshment room (I ate at the latter). It wasn't gourmet fare, but it was okay. Note: I was there a year ago, so my info could be out of date!
Old 29th October 2010, 15:26   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Thank you Khalid! This link is quite useful. Especially the contact details listed. ( Phone nos.)

Quote:
South goa (where these stations are) have a couple of temples i guess, there's also a local tour in bus from there, he'll take you to all the temples/churches/beaches/forts you want. Also a bike rental just outside the station. "Goa is best seen on a bike" according to many BHPians.
Hmm. I fully agree that 'Goa is best seen on a bike'! I will further extend it to say 'Goa is best seen on an RX 100'! Infact, while I was still studying at college, I and a friend of mine had spent 5 days in goa on a shoe string budget. We almost ate bread and chai instead of lunch/dinner but made sure that we had a RX 100 rented and roamed around like wanderers! It was indeeed great fun!
However, this time around I have my full family. ( Wifey + 2kids + parents.) Hence, I have booked an A.C. Innova for self drive. It is going to be delivered to me @the Margaon station.

Quote:
Do share your experiences with all of us. It'll help the budget travellers immensely.
Absolutely! You can expect a travelogue to comeup after Diwali! However, I am not sure it I will help budge travellers as I have taken some expensive options already. For me, since everyone in family is together, convenience and comfort is priority- which at times may not be best option from budget travel perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi,
I came back from Margaon two days ago and I had been to Margaon to see the India-Australia match which did not go on. I had stayed at Hotel Joyti Plaza which is in market area. The said hotel is a good hotel having good facilities and decent sized rooms with good amenities. The tarriff is Rs. 1400/- plus taxes. Though the check in time there is 12 noon i negotiated with him and made him agree for 24 hour check out time. We had checked in at about 07 Am and checked out at about 09 Am next day. The hotel charged me for one day only. So you can try the same.
Happy holydaying.
Thankyou patil! I have noted down name of the hotel. However, since I only want to get 'fresh' at the hotel, I think it might not be worth paying 1400 Rs. per room just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure of the current status. But as of what I know, pretty busy station (no many trains though). Limited eating options. You need to take an auto to get out of the place.
Thanks ampere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Why insist on staying in Madgaon? its a sad place.

if i am not riding and tkaing the train, i usually take the next Kadamba bus out to the beach of choice: in my case mostly Palolem.
Thanks Cougar! Well I am not going to be putting up in Madgaon. I have booked a resort @ Calangute. Its just that the check in time is 12 in the afternoon and my train reaches @5.30 in the morning. Since we would have been travelling for 13 hours when we reach Madgaon ( from Pune );a bit of 'getting fresh' will be useful. Some quick rest, bath etc..before hitting the beach or other site seeing. That was the reason I thought of a retiring room or hotel @Madgaon. I have noted down the beach name. Is it a south goa beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Madgaon does have retiring rooms but they can't be booked in advance, to the best of my knowledge. You could enquire with the station master immediately on arrival. Checking into a hotel room for 3-4 hours seems like overkill. You could 'freshen up' in the waiting room - the station premises seem clean and safe. The main platform has both a veg and a non-veg refreshment room (I ate at the latter). It wasn't gourmet fare, but it was okay. Note: I was there a year ago, so my info could be out of date!
Thank you Very Much Edsel! Your inputs are very very relevant. Looks like I will have to take chance with retiring rooms on arrival. If it doesnt work out, I will check waiting room. If that does not work out as well - I will move to a nearby hotel. I could find a good budget hotel near station which can provide me room for my purpose economically.
Old 29th October 2010, 16:38   #155
BHPian

Hey Pranav,some answers to your queries.

First of all the train never reaches on time so I guess it will be around 6.30-7 by the time you reach Goa. The railway station as I know has good enough facilities, so you could freshen up there. If you want a good veg breakfast in Margao I'd recommend the restaurant named "Tato" address: Apna bazaar,near grace church, Margao.

Its a good thing that you decided on a self drive car because Goan cab drivers are, well lets just say they "take you for a ride, an expensive one"

Well if you still want a stop over at a hotel in Margao to freshen up I know of a hotel which provides rooms on hourly basis.I have forgotten the name but I could still confirm about the hour basis If you'd like.

Well the hotel you have chosen in Calangute is about one and a half hour drive from Margao city. Its after panjim city so you could visit the Mahalakshmi Temple in the heart of Panjim city before you check in to your hotel.

Well since your coming with your family Id suggest you to take a tour of Goa by the Goa tourism development corporation. You could take a North Goa tour one day and then a south Goa tour the next day. Charges are 150 Non ac and 200 Ac per head. You can book the tour from Panaji Residency located in Panjim city.

If you have any more queries I'd be happy to help.
Old 30th October 2010, 11:51   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
I have noted down the beach name. Is it a south goa beach?
Yes Palolem beach is in the south of Goa.

Get a good map and find a temple near the place you will freshen up. Drive to the temple and then onwards to your hotel/resort in calangute.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:36   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey Pranav,some answers to your queries.

"Tato" address: Apna bazaar,near grace church, Margao.

Well if you still want a stop over at a hotel in Margao to freshen up I know of a hotel which provides rooms on hourly basis.I have forgotten the name but I could still confirm about the hour basis If you'd like.
Thank you Richie4u! I will certainly make it a point to visit Tato. Can you please try to find out the name of the hotel that you are mentioning ( the one that provides room on hourly basis?). It will be great help!

Quote:
Well the hotel you have chosen in Calangute is about one and a half hour drive from Margao city. Its after panjim city so you could visit the Mahalakshmi Temple in the heart of Panjim city before you check in to your hotel.
Good Suggestion! I will note it down.

Quote:
If you have any more queries I'd be happy to help.
Thanks! I am certainly going to ask few more quesitions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Yes Palolem beach is in the south of Goa
Thank you deutscheafrikar!
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:08   #158

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Goa this week in my Tata Indica Vista. We have planned for a 6 days trip with a halt @ Ganapatiphule/Ratnagiri.

Could any one of you suggest a good plan for covering these 2/3 places with a proper guidance for routing as well?
Old 28th November 2010, 14:53   #159
BHPian

Anyone please update on the latest road conditions from HyD- GoA, also the best route to be taken.

thanks.
Old 30th November 2010, 17:24   #160
BHPian

Budget Night Halts?

Hi,

I will be driving down from Mumbai to Goa on 17th-18th Dec via NH-4. Due to some constraints I need to take Night Halt close to Pune. (mainly because I will be starting from Mumbai on friday evening)

Can anyone please help with a decent budget hotel close to the NH4 highway?

Thanks
Old 30th November 2010, 17:37   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,

I will be driving down from Mumbai to Goa on 17th-18th Dec via NH-4. Due to some constraints I need to take Night Halt close to Pune. (mainly because I will be starting from Mumbai on friday evening)

Can anyone please help with a decent budget hotel close to the NH4 highway?

Thanks
There are plenty of hotels on the Pune Mumbai Bypass road.These are some of the options:

1.Ginger
2.Sadanand Regency
3.Sayaji
4.Pride Biznotel

All of these are on NH4 itself.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:24   #162

Hi,
We plan to go to goa next week from Hyderabad. After a night stay at Belgaum, we intend to go to Goa. My friends are suggesting to include the sight seeing of Dudh Sagar falls enroute Goa. Should I take the NH4A route while going from Belgaum to Goa which would enable me to make a pit stop at Dudh Sagar falls and then proceed to Goa?

Please help!
Old 1st December 2010, 15:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory21 View Post
Hi,
We plan to go to goa next week from Hyderabad. After a night stay at Belgaum, we intend to go to Goa. My friends are suggesting to include the sight seeing of Dudh Sagar falls enroute Goa. Should I take the NH4A route while going from Belgaum to Goa which would enable me to make a pit stop at Dudh Sagar falls and then proceed to Goa?

Please help!
Yes take the NH4A via Khanapur-Londa-Ponda with a deviation to Dudh Sagar.The route is spectacular.Road conditions for most parts are very good,except for a small bad stretch that has been reported bad after Londa
Old 1st December 2010, 16:05   #164
BANNED

Remember you cant get to Dudhsagar in your own car. Unless you are driving a 4x4 or a capable machine.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:12   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes take the NH4A via Khanapur-Londa-Ponda with a deviation to Dudh Sagar.The route is spectacular.Road conditions for most parts are very good,except for a small bad stretch that has been reported bad after Londa
Thank you for your reply, any idea how long is the bad stretch in terms of kilometers and how much time the whole stretch may take from Belgaum to Goa?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks