Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 13:39   #286
BHPian

Re: Goa Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Its better to book online . Why take the Risk ?

Right on target

Old 13th December 2011, 13:41   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
My ans in bold.

Amboli has lot of options to stay.
stay at MTDC's green valley resort managed by vitthal kamat,
i stayed here for 3-4 times,
nice facilities, ample plays for kids,
online booking is available at ::The Official website of the Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation

I suggest that go and come back via amboli route,
you will save time, distance, energy to spend in Goa.
People love to reach to goa as fast as possible and leave goa as late as possible.

You are right Ashish - just one - why do you call it bold

Old 13th December 2011, 13:43   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Amboli is a hill station, Sawantwadi is simply the plains close to the coast.

HVK

So that one is self explanatory - take Amboli route from Belgaum and stay at Amboli on the way in

Old 13th December 2011, 13:43   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
why do you call it bold

read my earlier post carefully, i have answered your queries in bold letters in your quote.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 13:46   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

read my earlier post carefully, i have answered your queries in bold letters in your quote.

Sorry Ashish I interpreted Bold otherwise! - and thanks great inputs
Old 21st January 2012, 20:35   #291

I am doing a trip from Kannur to Goa via (NH-17) in the 2nd week of Feb in a Zen. I wanted to know the condition of the coastal Karnataka road. Is it in a good condition as I've been told that there is a lot of construction work going on & also that a lot of pot-holes are there. Would appreciate feedback on the roads.

Thanks a lot.
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:51   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetarantula View Post
I am doing a trip from Kannur to Goa via (NH-17) in the 2nd week of Feb in a Zen. I wanted to know the condition of the coastal Karnataka road. Is it in a good condition as I've been told that there is a lot of construction work going on & also that a lot of pot-holes are there. Would appreciate feedback on the roads.

Thanks a lot.
Bad roads throughout.no safety issues but its a back breaking drive.we left kozhikode at 6am and could reach pumpwell only by 1pm.managed to reach marvanthe at 430.karwar by 830.2-3hrs from there to madgaon.plenty of eating and fuel optiona enroute.if you want to do a smooth and fast drive then you can do kannur mysore kengeri nice road tumkur nh4 hubli ankola karwar goa
Old 30th January 2012, 10:01   #293

Has any one taken the Mumbai Goa Coastal Route ( Not NH 17).
Are all the Bridges ready yet ?
Old 30th January 2012, 12:02   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgssg View Post
Has any one taken the Mumbai Goa Coastal Route ( Not NH 17).
Are all the Bridges ready yet ?
I did the full MSH-4 (coastal highway) earlier this month from start to finish, from Terekol Fort (Goa) to Mandhwa Ferry north of Alibag - via Vengurla, Bhogawe, Malwan, Kunkeshwar, Jaitapur, Pawas, Ratnagiri, Ganapatipule, Jaigad, Guhagar, Dapoli, Kelshi, Harihareshwar, Dighi, Murud, Alibag & Diveagar.

Roads were lovely with some rough patches here and there - except for the very bad road sections between Anjarla-Kelshi-Bankot (which section may not be part of the highway, although this road runs all along the coast),

Car Ferry crossings are immaculate and great experiences (good ramps, new boats, punctual timings) at the following places:

Jaigad-Tavasal
Dophave-Dabhol
Bankot-Bhagamandale

The Dighi-Janjira ferry does not take cars, so MSH-4 goes via Mhasla, Pabra & Tamhane to Janjira.

The Mandhwa ferry also does not take cars, so I returned to Bombay via Pen/Panvel.

As far as I could gather, there will be no more bridges since the ferry crossing points are too broad and cannot be bridged.

Starting at 630 am from Terekol, I reached Kelshi for the night and next afternoon was back in Bombay.
Old 24th March 2012, 06:58   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I did the full MSH-4 (coastal highway) earlier this month from start to finish, from Terekol Fort (Goa) to Mandhwa Ferry north of Alibag - via Vengurla, Bhogawe, Malwan, Kunkeshwar, Jaitapur, Pawas, Ratnagiri, Ganapatipule, Jaigad, Guhagar, Dapoli, Kelshi, Harihareshwar, Dighi, Murud, Alibag & Diveagar.

Roads were lovely with some rough patches here and there
@HVK Sir - Last October, though it was not in my plan, I ended up taking the Vengurla - Malvan Road. Though I did not realise it then, I believe it was the MSH-4 coastal highway that you refer to here.
Though the sea was visible only during the initial stretch from Vengurla, and the overall stretch was only a fraction of the entire coastal route, the scenery was fabulous. One would climp up to reach a plateua and then next 2-4 km would be a straight road atop the plateau before climbing down and up to another plateau. There were at least 2-3 such plateaus between Vengurla and Malvan. Attaching a few snap shots.

From Malvan I returned via Kasal and Kolhapur to Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Goa Route Queries-02dsc_0897.jpg  

Goa Route Queries-04dsc_0899.jpg  

Goa Route Queries-05dsc_0900.jpg  

Goa Route Queries-08dsc_0903.jpg  

Goa Route Queries-10dsc_0905.jpg  

Goa Route Queries-11dsc_0906.jpg  

Old 11th April 2012, 22:58   #296
HWD

Hi I am planning to do Mumbai-Goa next Wednesday. Wanted to know if there are any CNG pumps on the way?
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:19   #297
BHPian

Any update on Amboli ghat? I have got news that its open one way due to landslide. Can anyone verify it?
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:57   #298
BHPian

raghuvir.
There's been a landslide just two days back and from what I heard the road was closed on the day of the landslide. Don't have further updates on the same.
What I normally do nowadays is, I drive straight up to Beglaum ( now Belagavi) on the NH4. Leave the Nh to exit into Beglaum and head to Goa through the CHORLA ghats. This road has practically no bumps! Depending on your destination it has exits for north/south Goa.
Do make good use of Google maps before heading into CHORLA(if at all). A very prominent landmark( also in the maps) In CHORLA ghats is the Wildernest resorts.
Also, after leaving Beglaum for CHORLA, there's a "y" fork at which you will have to take the right cut. Left leads onto Nh 4a, also leading into goa, but is full of potholes (also known as Anmod ghats).
Hope it helps.

HR.
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:17   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
raghuvir.
There's been a landslide .....
Hope it helps.

HR.
Thanks humbleroadster. I have been through the chorla route once and its awesome. However, its longer when we come from Pune, so we end up going down through Amboli. But if the ghat is closed then we will take the chorla route. If you get any updates till thursday please post as we are riding to goa early morning on friday.
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:16   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
its longer when we come from Pune, so we end up going down through Amboli.
I'm from Pune as well! Settled in Goa now for the past few years. So end up doing Goa - Pune a lot. After the bad condition of Amboli last year, I started taking the CHORLA route. You're right about it being longer, but considering the rains and the quality of the roads, I often make it in better time through CHORLA.
Will keep you posted once I get further info on the Amboli landslide.
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed