Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 01:10   #1621
BHPian

prajwal, I am planning to make a B'lore-M'lore trip in early feb and people have advised me to take the Kudremukh/Belur/Hassan via Karkala (charmadi ghats) route.

Last edited by shreeps : 18th January 2010 at 01:12. Reason: missed adding charmadi ghats
Old 18th January 2010, 01:28   #1622
BHPian

or the reverse of this:

Distance chart
Bangalore -Nelamangala - NH4 - 29km
Nelamangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - NH48 - 156 km
Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - SH 57 - 55 km
Chickmagalur - Vastare - SH 64 - 8km
Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - 40km
Balehonnur - Magundi - 13km
Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - SH66 - 20km
Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - SH66 - 40 km
Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - NH13 - 50 km
Karkala - Hiriyadka - Parkala - Udupi - SH25A - 25 km
Old 18th January 2010, 10:11   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Update on NH17, towards Mangalore after MRPL/Panumbur the road gets jammed till VRL office or little further every evening. i guess its because of the flyover construction...

And i think it mostly happens in the evening, yeaterday it seemed to have been much worse where the jam dint clearup till 9pm...i think the "kite festival" could be one of the reasons... so watch out guys!
Old 18th January 2010, 10:37   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - SH66 - 40 km
Why does one has to go to Samse from Kalasa to go towards Kudremukha ?
Samse come before Kalasa.
The route should be KALASA-KUDREMUKHA and the distance being 20kms.

Last edited by sushrutha : 18th January 2010 at 10:38.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:36   #1625
BHPian

Road query

Needed some help in planning the trip. Was planning to drive down from Udupi to Mysore.

Is this route motorable in a Esteem now ?

Udupi - Manipal - Perdur - Karkala - Malleshvara - Kalasa - Mudigere - Aldur - Belur

Many Thanks
Bullfrog

Last edited by Bullfrog : 18th January 2010 at 12:37. Reason: typo
Old 18th January 2010, 14:47   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Needed some help in planning the trip. Was planning to drive down from Udupi to Mysore.

Is this route motorable in a Esteem now ?

Udupi - Manipal - Perdur - Karkala - Malleshvara - Kalasa - Mudigere - Aldur - Belur

Many Thanks
Bullfrog
I am driving this friday and till now was thinking of Agumbe, as i have driven on same stretch 3 weeks back(It was bad i agree..but do we have any other options ?)

I like this route because its almost good except Agumbe-Hebri

Can someone please share info on condition of near by roads

1. Sringeri-karkala
2. kudremukh-karkala etc
Old 18th January 2010, 16:43   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am driving this friday and till now was thinking of Agumbe, as i have driven on same stretch 3 weeks back(It was bad i agree..but do we have any other options ?)

1. Sringeri-karkala
2. kudremukh-karkala etc
I know last year when I rode down from Mlr - BLR via Karkala and Kudremukh, the roads were pretty good. Few potholes here and there, but doable, even on a motorcycle. Dunno about Sringeri to Karkala though, but the roads are not bad. Anything is better than Shiradi ghats!

Prajwal
Old 18th January 2010, 17:07   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Well i guess for bikes "shiradi" is pretty doable, oh yea am talking about the bullets here
Old 18th January 2010, 22:39   #1629
BHPian

Hi all,

I came back this morning from Mangalore after a two day visit.

While going to Mangalore I took VRL Sleeper. The bus was neat and clean. The road conditions from Bangalore to Nelmangla has improved a lot. No traffic jams in Jalahalli cross - 8th Mile stretch, even Nelmangala Checkpost was clear. Road condition currently good even though work is happening.

Nelmangla to Kunigal - Road condition is bad. A lot of diversions and uneven roads which goes up and down every KM. Road work is going on in full swing. Stressful even for passengers.

After Kunigal the road till Hassan has improved. Around Hassan the road again becomes bad.

Hassan - Sakleshpur road condition is bit ok. But not so smooth.

And then comes the Shiradi ghat. Entering the ghat is like a welcome, with some 6/8 KM's road being done. My bus was just zipping and thats all. Within few minutes the roller coaster ride starts.. and as said earlier the road condition is just Horrible

No improvement at all. Since my last travel to Mangalore 2 weeks back, i can say hardly 2/3 KMS road work is completed in 2 weeks.

Even though the Bellary mine trucks are not plying, the road condition is just pathetic and dusty.

Sincere advice do not try this road with family in a car. In some places the bus was touching the ground.

Government and authorities are just sleeping. Its a shame on all concerned, they are just not able to make a stable road from 4 years.

Down the ghat the roads have improved till BC road. Just patch works are done.

After DC's intervention and deadline most of the stretch patch work is done. There are some 3/4KM real bad stretch, rest is ok. In some places the new road is also open.

At last my bus reached Mangalore at 7.00 AM.

The climate is pleasant and cool in Morning. Afternoon is also not that hot.

While coming took Durgamba Sleeper from Mangalore at 10.30 PM. Its one of my favorite buses. The bus was Super fast as usual. It was climbing the Shiradi ghat like a car. It overtook 5 Volvos and the driver was testing the bus to its limits and the Ashok Leyland engine proved its power and by 3.15 it reached Kamath hotel in Udayapura.

For the first time the bus took Kunigal - Magdi - Gorugonte palya road. The bus reached Yesvantpur at 6.15AM. The road condition is good.

Last edited by kadri007 : 18th January 2010 at 22:41.
Old 18th January 2010, 22:58   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
While going to Mangalore I took VRL Sleeper. The bus was neat and clean. The road conditions from Bangalore to Nelmangla has improved a lot. No traffic jams in Jalahalli cross - 8th Mile stretch, even Nelmangala Checkpost was clear. Road condition currently good even though work is happening.

Nelmangla to Kunigal - Road condition is bad. A lot of diversions and uneven roads which goes up and down every KM. Road work is going on in full swing. Stressful even for passengers.

After Kunigal the road till Hassan has improved. Around Hassan the road again becomes bad.

Hassan - Sakleshpur road condition is bit ok. But not so smooth.

And then comes the Shiradi ghat. Entering the ghat is like a welcome, with some 6/8 KM's road being done. My bus was just zipping and thats all. Within few minutes the roller coaster ride starts.. and as said earlier the road condition is just Horrible
Do you mostly travel in cabin, to get all these details about the road condition ? it is tough to get to know all these sitting deep inside a bus, and that too travelling in night. Just curious.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:00   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Why does one has to go to Samse from Kalasa to go towards Kudremukha ?
Samse come before Kalasa.
Samse is a small village in Kalasa - Kudremukha route. Its in the main road itself.

Few shops are there is samse, after which the Kudremukha national park territory starts.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:14   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Do you mostly travel in cabin, to get all these details about the road condition ? it is tough to get to know all these sitting deep inside a bus, and that too traveling in night. Just curious.
... The roads are in such conditions that getting a sleep even in sleeper becomes difficult. The sudden brakes and rolling on potholes can easily wake up anyone.

So when you dont get sleep, sit and look out of window and enjoy the cold breeze.

Since i have been traveling in this route almost every month from past 7 plus years, most of the places you can easily make out even if you dont look out. Like Hassan by pass stretch is still uneven, Shiradi ghat which has mini wells, entering BC Road with a break dance.

Till now only once i got a chance to travel in cabin from some village near Belur to Bangalore. I was coming in Pragathi tourist and the bus broke down in middle of jungle and they shifted us to their other bus which was already full. Didn't had a option but to sit in cabin. The experience is actually scary by looking at the way they drive at night. After that i stopped travelling in Pragathi Tourist. Couple of times had bad experience with it. Their bus are not being mainatined these days.

Now bad roads have become a landmark and if you are a frequent traveler in this route u can easily make out closing your eyes also.

This month its my 2nd travel in Bangalore - Mangalore stretch. Oops that reminds me to post my earlier travel experience in Bangalore - Mangalore Train.

Last edited by kadri007 : 18th January 2010 at 23:31. Reason: Additions
Old 19th January 2010, 00:13   #1633
BHPian

Here my Bangalore - Mangalore day train experience. Have traveled in night train thrice but the day train was more exciting.

On 30th Dec I took the Yesvantpura - Mangalore train. The train leaves Yesvantpura at 7.30AM. Like the night train the day train also starts from Platform no 1 on the yesvantpur market side.

Leaving Bangalore the scenes are dry, but after tumkur the greenery and village life starts.

After reaching Arisikere the train takes reverse direction to Hassan. The engine gets changed from front to back so around 20 mins time it halts in Arisikere.

Do take breakfast from Home or Hotel. The train food is just bad.

Reaching Hassan we were expecting luanch to come, but unfortunatly there is no lunch in Hassan also.

Hassan to Sakleshpur the scenes become more greener. At Sakleshpur we got some luch in station, but it was horrible.

Do take water and eatables since after that another 3 hours u wont get anything.

The train halts for around 20mins since two more engines are added to the train.

After that beautiful coffee gardens start and the Shiradi ghat views are just amazing.

The tunnels and screaming childrens just add fun on the ride.

The ride is slow unlike the road but the views are just amazing.

Its a journey which you need to experience. I would suggest to travel this stretch in the rainy season to make most out of it.

I have posted some pics in my websiite, do have a look at it.

My Photos (Yeshwanth Live)

At Subramanya road the train again halts for removing the additional 2 engines. Here u get some coffee and snacks.

The train then speeds its way to Mangalore and reaches after an hours delay.

Do carry sufficient water and eatables since there are no regular vendors in train since its the only train running in this stretch in day time.

The seats are not comfortable, its just like chair car with 3+3 seats and its not like a sleeper coach. Leg space is also limited. There is a 3 tire AC compartment but you will miss the Shiradi ghat view.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:00   #1634
BHPian

Ok..... so on Wednesday I travelled back to Bangalore via Karkala/Kudremukh/Kalasa/Magundi/Mudigere/Belur/Hassan/Magadi/Blr. The road from Magundi to Kottigere is potholed, but much much better than the Shiradi Ghats. The highway from Mudigere to Belur is as much in tatters as are the Shiradi ghats. After just 2 kms on the highway, I turned back to Mudigere to go on the alternative route thru Makonahalli. This are the back roads thru the country side estates and the roads are in good condition and very little used. They r not wide, so progress was slow. But I made it to Belur in good shape with just a shadow of the potholes than those on the highway. You'll find the roads only on Yahoo maps and not on Google maps. I was thankful that I had downloaded yahoo maps which proved far superior than Google maps for highways and rural roads.

Thanks to all for the help with the routes.......

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 21st January 2010, 21:19   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

1. Sringeri-karkala
2. kudremukh-karkala etc
1. Sringeri-karkala
Horrible. Almost no roads from SK border to about 5km before Sringeri. MUCH worse than Agumbe plus truck traffic. It is supposed be a NH you see

2. kudremukh-karkala etc
Wonderful. Great driver's road - smooth, flat surface with perfectly banked curves. But, Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa is pathetic. Instead take the Balehonnur - Mangudi - Kalasa road. I haven't personally done this route, but have heard it is quite OK.

Most Viewed