Team-BHP - The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/91125-art-travelling-between-bangalore-mangalore-udupi-11.html)

Good start. Yes, I too feel more pictures are yet to come.

Guess the pic with your Santro is Gundya-Kukke stretch. You could do Kukke-Sakleshpur thru an alternate route thru Bisile Ghat. The roads were not good (Oct'06), but the scenary is simply awesome. The distances are Kukke-Bisile(21kms), Bisile-Sakleshpur(55kms). Infact this route joins the NH near Donigal about 9kms from Sakaleshpur.

More photos please.

yes, you are right. This is Gundya-Kukke stretch. Actually, we were specific to take this route as we were adviced by some to take this. we did'nt explore any other routes. There is one more option: go further on the NH towards mangalore till uppinangadi and come back to kukke. This photo is on our return journey. unfortunately I don't have more photos of the scenic beauty. Attaching 2 more, of the stretch before Hassan.

Actually, by 6pm the sun was well down and we were on the ghat section after sakleshpur. The drive became little tough with fog, bad roads and road blockages here and there. Also we were'nt sure that we did'nt miss the deviation to kukke at Gundya. there were'nt a single soul in the vicinity to clarify, and we just have to keep going. Againn, after the Gundya check post, till 2km near the temple it is total isolatiion. one good thing was the road was in such good condition that you can just close your eyes and go.

Thanks for all the encouragement, in fact I did'nt have this in mind when we took photos. My next one will be better, hopefully. Next in line is a Tirupati trip and Chikmagalur/K.Gundi. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers !

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrvarier (Post 969894)
in fact I did'nt have this in mind when we took photos. My next one will be better, hopefully. Next in line is a Tirupati trip and Chikmagalur/K.Gundi. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers !

Now, thats the spirit clap:
You may already have details, but in case,
You can ping Hari (LukeSkyWalker) for Tirupati. He recently did this trip.
For Kemmangudi/Chikmagalue, you can try with ravibhat/akroy.
Waiting for the next travelogue.

Ohhh God. I went to Dharmasthala on August 16h. I skipped Kukke thinking that that the roads will be bad. :-(stupid:

Hi Team,

In view of the Gauri-Ganesha festival, we had to travel to Mangalore. It is celebrated in our house there and all family members meet for this occasion. We planned to drive down on Saturday, 30th Aug 2008 and return on 6th Sept 2008. Applied for a week's leave well in advance so that last minute surprises of not getting leave is elminated. Daughter has half a day's school on Saturday and hence we could start only in the afternoon. My brother and his family were also to join us in this drive in their car.

Filled up diesel at HP petrol pump in HBR layout and also checked the tyre pressure in the morning and was eagerly waiting for my daughter to come from school. We finally managed to leave home at 1.15pm and the plan was for my brother to join us at Hebbal flyover. Managed to pass the Nagawara signal without any issue, but got stuck at the Lumbini Garden signal for 10 minutes. My brother's car joined us at Hebbal and at BEL circle, we took a right turn and drove towards Jalahalli. Traffic was very heavy from Jalahalli onwards (towards Tumkur). Could not drive beyond 40kmph almost until we need the NH48 diversion on Tumkur road. Reached the diversion point at around 2.40pm. From this point onwards we were able to drive at 80-90 kmph speeds, but had to frequently slow down because of heavy traffic. A light drizzle also started and both these ensured that we could not travel continuosly at high speeds. The roads on this strech also have started to wear down and there are lots of patches which looks like washed away by rain. With the 4 laning project going on, I dont think they will repair the road in the near future. The pace of work is not fast and there is little progress from what i saw in the month of May 08. We were suddenly overtaken by a new Volvo Bus which was driving extremely fast and was in a big hurry. Surprised to see there was no glass on the back of the bus.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh481.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh482.jpg

Reached Kamat Upachar at around 6.00pm and stopped to have coffee/snacks. By this time, heavy rain started and it stopped by the time we finished our snack break. Started again at around 6.45pm and as we neared Sakaleshpur , we started to notice that the roads were badly damaged at the curves. At the second concreted curve, only one side of the concrete has been completed and the other half is still pending. Looks like the NHAI was in a hurry to open the road even before the concreting work was completed. People have to be careful here because the oncoming traffic also wants to use the concreted side of the road! The mining trucks are not allowed on the ghat road from 6.00pm to 6.00am and hence we only saw a few of them driving on the roads. This was a big relief for us because the maverick drivers of mining trucks and night time driving would have been a dangerous situation. Since it was dark could not take any photographs, but almost all the asphalted curves are gone and what is left is only rubble. Reached Uppinangady around 9.30pm and stopped at my in-laws house for a break. Started again at 10pm and reached our home in Mangalore at 11.30pm. The roads from Uppinangady to BC road is a mixture of bad at curves and ok on the straight. You cannot relax and step on the accelerator because you will suddenly encounter a bad stretch. Total distance on the trip meter was 352 kms door to door. Next day morning went to Ashirwad Petrol Pump at Mannagudda (IOC) and topped up the tank. It took 23.03 litres (filled to the brim) giving a FE of 15.28 kmpl. We were all busy on Sunday & Monday preparing for the Gowri Habba on Tuesday and Ganesh Chathurthi on Wednesday.
Attachment 47209

We had a much deserved break on Thursday and on Friday evening we had Sai Bhajans in our home. We planned to drive back to Bangalore on Saturday morning, but by the time we packed our bags and did our best to restore the house back to near normal condition, it was 10.30am. Topped up diesel again at the same petrol pump. It took 15.10 litres for 177 kms giving a FE of 11.72 kmpl. This is the lowest that i have got on my vehicle so far.:Frustrati We drove via Bharat Mall, Bejai church and hit the NH17 near Karnataka Polytechnic on Padav Hills. Drove down to Pumpwell circle and took the turn to NH48. Reached Uppinangady at 12 noon and stopped at my in-laws house for a break. Had some refreshments and started again at 1.15pm. Since the return journey was during daytime, managed to take some pictures of the ghat section.

Attachment 47211
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh485.jpg

Also, the main reason for the roads to go bad so fast...mining trucks were in full numbers.

At one of the concreted curves, i saw a truck carrying wooden logs do a wheely. I had so far seen only bikes do it, but saw for the first time a truck do it. When we approached the curve, the truck had stopped and the cleaner was waving at the traffic from both sides to stop. Then the driver raised the engine and released the clutch...and i was shocked to see that the front tyres of the truck were in the air. The timber logs at the back tilted down and in this raised condition the truck was continuing to move forward. Without the front wheels on the ground, the driver was not able to control the direction and luckily he stopped the vehicle at the edge of the road. All this happened in a flash and by the time i realised that i should photograph this, the truck had reached one side of the curve and the wheels were on the ground.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh4811.jpg

Below are some more pictures taken during the return journey.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh486.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh487.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh488.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh489.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh4810.jpg

Reached Sakaleshpur at 4pm and stopped at Hotel Surabhi for a coffee break. Left at around 4.15pm and near Kamat Upachar IOC petrol pump my brother wanted to fill petrol, but they had no stock. All petrol pumps were out of stock of petrol and diesel till Yediyur. Finally one IBP pump near yediyur had petrol only and my brother filled up his car. Again on the return journey between Hassan & Bangalore, the continuos flow of traffic did not allow continuos high speed driving. Reached home at 9.30pm. Filled up diesel next day at HP petrol pump in HBR layout. It took in 25.30 lts and distance covered was 362 km giving a FE of 14.31 kmpl. I get a feeling something is not right with the diesel filled up at the IOC pump in Mangalore.

Couple of photos did not get uploaded previously.

Prabhu, nice report...am sure you guys had a great time celebrating the festival unfortunately you wont have enjoyed driving....

As mentioned by you the entire stretch would be in a bad state in couple of months time...

Hey prabhu, Thanks for the update about road and route. Do post pictures of your seat covers and in Mangalore how comfortable are leather seat covers? you used AC or non AC?

Every highway is damaged in August. Main reason poor work done from last 3 years and heavy vehicle movements.

I am disappointed we are heading back instead of finding growth. After rainy season I wanted to visit Mangalore and nearby places like last year this time too I need to postpone my plans :(

About that wooden truck one should maintain safe distance because I saw few and heard many stories in forest area where front wheels lifted around 8feet from the ground. Very risky it is although funny to see it.

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 970891)
Do post pictures of your seat covers and in Mangalore how comfortable are leather seat covers? you used AC or non AC?

I am disappointed we are heading back instead of finding growth. After rainy season I wanted to visit Mangalore and nearby places like last year this time too I need to postpone my plans :(

About that wooden truck one should maintain safe distance because I saw few and heard many stories in forest area where front wheels lifted around 8feet from the ground. Very risky it is although funny to see it.

Hello Ravi, I will post pictures of the seat covers tomorrow. The seat covers are very comfortable and everyone in Mangalore were appreciative of it. AC was 100% on during the entire trip.

Bad road conditions does demotivate you in venturing out on long drives.

Yes...i agree. we were a safe distance away when the truck was doing a wheely. Better be safe than sorry. These truck drives have no brains and hence it is better that we take care of our safety.

Best Regards, Satish Prabhu

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 970801)
Prabhu, nice report...am sure you guys had a great time celebrating the festival unfortunately you wont have enjoyed driving....
As mentioned by you the entire stretch would be in a bad state in couple of months time...

Hi Lohit, Yes.. we had a great time celebrating the festival, but it would have been a great drive if the roads were good. I had that pleasure when i drove down in May 08. The roads had just been re-laid and it was not yet opened for heavy traffic. During that drive, i was hoping that it will remain in good condition atleast for a couple of years, but alas, it did not remain for couple of months.

In the next few months, i am sure the roads will be much worse.

Best Regards, Satish Prabhu

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhusati (Post 970926)
Yes...i agree. we were a safe distance away when the truck was doing a wheely. Better be safe than sorry. These truck drives have no brains and hence it is better that we take care of our safety.

I too have seen a truck do wheelie in the same Shiradi stretch. But I don't think we can blame the drivers. Obviously, no driver would enjoy driving the ghat with so much extra load, it is the owner who needs to be kicked for overloading the trucks.

Made a trip during the weekend. Wondering where did the roads go, between Hassan and Mangalore? Did they simply roll over to a place far away where no mining truck can drive over them? Fun aside, this stretch is not suggested for hatcbacks/sedans until a miracle happens. One can be lucky enough to avoid a few pot holes/craters, but not all.

As can be seen from prabhusati's snaps, the Shiradi Ghat stretch is less painful to drive when it rains, and there will be dust flying around, when otherwise.

Sad to hear about bad roads.. But i wonder what other alternatives we have ? Charmadi had land slides 2-3 weeks back..any updates on this ?

So looking at the alternatives(or lack of it) i guess shiradi is the only option left isnt it.. even if you get stuck..you wont be alone 24x7

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkamath (Post 971028)
Made a trip during the weekend. Wondering where did the roads go, between Hassan and Mangalore? Did they simply roll over to a place far away where no mining truck can drive over them? Fun aside, this stretch is not suggested for hatcbacks/sedans until a miracle happens. One can be lucky enough to avoid a few pot holes/craters, but not all.

As can be seen from prabhusati's snaps, the Shiradi Ghat stretch is less painful to drive when it rains, and there will be dust flying around, when otherwise.

Kamath how did the Safari behave on the painful stretch, am sure it wont have complained:)

Keeping the raods state i decided to seel my OHC and go for Adventure:)
guess i made the right choice hehe