Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 20:24   #1711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I got a bit confused about "taking the right turn after kottigehara to Belur'.
This "right turn" is Mudigere hand post circle (as Addy mentioned). This is 8 kms from Kottigehara. Just avoid it and enter Mudigere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
you can see a place called Gendehally approximately north-east to Mudigere. There is a route from Mudigere to Gendehally and to Belur from Gendehally.
I missed this. Its better to take this route.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:49   #1712

Guys, I did the Mangalore route last weekend.

The Mudigere-Belur direct route is really bad - very bad surface and some places the road is horrible. For the onward journey, it took me 1.5 hrs to travel these 33km I need to add that my car is brand new, so I was very cautious. But still I would not recommend this route to anyone who is going by own car.

I returned by the other route - Mudigere - Chikmagalur-Belur. Though it was longer by around 20-25km, the road was really smooth and at least my car did not suffer! Total (door-to-door) was 420km and it took 10.5 hours excluding any breaks.

Secondly, the NH into Mangalore via BC Road was killing. It was the worst I could imagine!!!

If you are looking for good smooth roads, then I would recommend the following:
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Mudabidri - Vanjoor - Mangalore. This way, you avoid the bad roads to enter Mangalore city. But do keep in mind that this is not the shortest route.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:00   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_blr View Post
If you are looking for good smooth roads, then I would recommend the following:
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Mudabidri - Vanjoor - Mangalore. This way, you avoid the bad roads to enter Mangalore city. But do keep in mind that this is not the shortest route.
I think you meant, Mudabidri - Vamanjoor - Mangalore.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:17   #1714
MCR
BHPian

Thanks for the update Guys. I will take the road via Chickmagalur.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:41   #1715
MCR
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post. The time available for editing expired while I was taking the map screen shot.

Guys the distance calculated is 365 Kms. This is considering the starting place as Mysore. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-udupi_route1.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 11:50   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Mudabidri - Vamanjoor - Mangalore.
This is not a short route to Mangalore from Belthangady. Though from Mudabidri its a National Highway, but the roads are Narrow and watch out for express buses which can make you nervous at times. They just come with a flash in these Narrow roads. The road is curvey and you cant zoom in this road.

BC road - Mangalore around 5/8 Kms is really bad rest are very well managable. The patch work was done recently.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:55   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Guys the distance calculated is 365 Kms. This is considering the starting place as Mysore. Is this correct?
If you are starting from Mysore then take the Madikeri - Mangalore route to udupi.

If you are going from Bangalore the route mentioned from Hassan to Udupi is correct.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:19   #1718
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
If you are starting from Mysore then take the Madikeri - Mangalore route to udupi.

If you are going from Bangalore the route mentioned from Hassan to Udupi is correct.
Madikeri road is bad from Kushalnagar till Sampaje. This is approximately around 65 kms. This will take more than 3 hours to cover. Also the road is narrow. But the road till Chickmagalur is wide and good. Also want to enjoy the nature and take some pictures on the Charmadi ghat. The difference in distance between the two routes is around 36kms.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:37   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_blr View Post
Guys, I did the Mangalore route last weekend.

Thanks Nikhil for update. Our plans of road trip to Mangalore remains to be a distant dream

OT:

last week I had emailed Nikhil this thread when he asked for best route to Mangalore. in his replay saw the word "possiblity of rattle after taking bad roads". This rattle word made me think this guy must be BHP-ian and later came to know he is a BHP-ian!

Today morning I wanted to ask Nikhil by e-mailing him asking how was journey to mangalore. As usual, before i start work at office, i open team bhp and open this thread and read an update from Nikhil
Old 12th February 2010, 21:38   #1720
BHPian

There is a likely Mangalore Bandh called tomorrow, today also there was trouble in some parts of the city and bus services were affected.

Reason attach on Pramod Mutalik, the Sri Ram Sena leader.

Anyone traveling get the updates before going in and around Mangalore.
Old 12th February 2010, 22:58   #1721
BHPian

Was planning to take this route while going to Udupi on the 4th
Bangalore - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi

But since we got delayed leaving from Bangalore and the fact that no one else in our party had gone through this route, we decided to stick with

Bangalore - Nelmangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi

There were some bad stretches just before Chickmagalur
Agumbe ghat was also pretty bad in stretches
And then around 25 Km of bad road till Hebri.

While coming back we took the following route:

Udupi - Barkur - Hebri - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Tarikere - Arsikere - Tiptur - Tumkur

This was way better than the one we took while going to udupi. I notice this route hasn't been mentioned by others so maybe a regular on the Bangalore - Udupi route can comment on this route compared to the Kudremukh one.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:07   #1722
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
There is a likely Mangalore Bandh called tomorrow, today also there was trouble in some parts of the city and bus services were affected.

Reason attach on Pramod Mutalik, the Sri Ram Sena leader.

Anyone traveling get the updates before going in and around Mangalore.
OT : Had to cancel my trip because of the prevailing tension in these areas.
Lets see if its possible next week.
Old 13th February 2010, 13:35   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
OT : Had to cancel my trip because of the prevailing tension in these areas.
Lets see if its possible next week.
Good you canceled the trip, currently the situation in Mangalore is not good. Got a update from Mangalore some time back, buses are not plying and most of the shops have been closed in some areas.

I was also planning for a trip to my hometown and around but due to this political mess all got canceled, but at last ended up a surprise early morning visit to Nandi Hills.

Nandi Hills snaps

Old 14th February 2010, 00:04   #1724
Senior - BHPian

i am in Mangalore. Tension still prevails in here. Less number of buses were running yesterday! Only express and service buses were plying to Udupi. Today almost complete Bundh! no buses were plying. People who were in temple due to Shiva ratri pooja were struggling to go home.

I had traveled in car yesterday and day before without any problem. Public vehicles were allowed. But poor common man suffered :(

But i say, you guys canceling trip to mangalore was nice decision! The tension still exists!
Old 14th February 2010, 19:18   #1725
BHPian

I will be driving down to Mangalore on 17th Feb. Most likely to start at 4pm. Need inputs from people who have driven down lately. Which route is better to reach Kunigal; via Magadi or via Nelamangala?

I have decided to drive via Shiradi ghats for the simple reason that this is the shortest route and apart from the 36 kms of ghat section the roads are reasonably ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks