Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:46   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Traffic on NH 17 is normal after Mining trucks have stopped. After Kundapur the traffic is pretty low.

For people who have driven in Bangalore roads, the traffic is nothing. Its easily managable.

Just watch out for private buses on Udupi- Bhatkal route. They almost fly in this route.

There are many tourist places and the route is beautiful. Dont miss to stop at Maravanthe beach on the way.
Mining trucks have stopped??? That's some good news. Good to know that traffic is low after Kundapur since we will be driving through the night.

I know all about the flying buses, I had a couple of encounters with them last year. Came out as the winner though

Sadly, I cannot enjoy Maravanthe during daylight. I will be leaving Hassan at around 3 pm and by the time I reach there, it will be dark.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:43   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8NATIVE View Post
thanks a lot @kadri007 appreciate your help very much. I have just mapped the route on google maps here is the link
mangalore to bangalore

can you have a look and let me know if its right.thanks once again and any suggestions for things to do enroute and eating places enroute.. thanks
The map is fine. Just check the Kottighehara - Muidgere route, if locals tell if the condition is not good. Then go to Chickmaglur from Kottighehara and then take the main road to Hassan. It will add few more KMS.

If you start early morning at around 6AM, you can stop for breakfast in Belthangady town. It may take around 1.30Mins. There are good hotels till Ujrie after that the Charmadi ghat section starts so you can have some food before it.

Kottighehara has some small hotels after you climb the ghat, A good stop to have some tea after the climb.

For lunch you can stop at Kamath Hotel in Udayapura after Hassan, else there are good hotels inside Hassan city.

You can recah Bangalore by 3PM with 3 breaks and if you stop for taking some snaps of Charmadi hills.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:53   #1743
BHPian

thanks a lot @kadri those r great tips very valuable info will follow that route
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:05   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Good to know that traffic is low after Kundapur since we will be driving through the night.
Try leaving Udupi after 10PM there will be very less traffic. You can reach by 5/6AM to Goa.
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:37   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
If you are familar with Bangalore you can take the Magadi road from Kunigal to hit NICE Road. If you are not familar keep driving in NH48 only. But the road after Kunigal till Nelmangala is in bad condition due to road work.
You needn't be familiar.

Just as you exit Kunigal (about 12 km) you will see the Indo Spanish Foods factory to your left. The next right is the Magadi road. Keep going straight to come closer to Bangalore (cross Magadi town too)

Eventually you will see the huge road with toll gates coming to your left. That is the NICE road.

Asking when in doubt helps!
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:07   #1746
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Any idea on the road conditions in Shiradi Ghat now?Have they repaired it?
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mangalore,starting from Bangalore at sometime around 6.30 PM.

Thanks,
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:52   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Hi Guys,
Any idea on the road conditions in Shiradi Ghat now?Have they repaired it?
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mangalore,starting from Bangalore at sometime around 6.30 PM.

Thanks,
Please see post # 1677. I travelled last week. Road is bad with huge craters and also sections with no road. Depends on the vehicle you are travelling. Drive slow and you can cover the ghat section in 1.5 to 2 hours. Roads from Bangalore to Sakaleshpur and beyond Gundya to Mangalore is manageable.

You are planning to leave Bangalore at 6.30pm which is peak hour. I suggest you take the Magadi road to reach Kunigal rather than take the Nelamangala route.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:38   #1748
BHPian

i just travelled from mangalore to chennai_ thanks to @kadri.... left @10 am from mangalore -good roads till mudigehara made it by 1 pm -bad roads between mudigehara and belur took 2hours to cover 30-40 k . All up reached Nelmangala at 6.30 pm ran into a stinker of a traffic-virtually standstill for one hour finally reached malleswaram at 2030 .
Old 25th February 2010, 09:00   #1749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i just travelled from mangalore to chennai_ thanks to @kadri.... left @10 am from mangalore -good roads till mudigehara made it by 1 pm -bad roads between mudigehara and belur took 2hours to cover 30-40 k . All up reached Nelmangala at 6.30 pm ran into a stinker of a traffic-virtually standstill for one hour finally reached malleswaram at 2030 .
If you have to go towards ITPL side, try the NH207 route through Dodbellapur and Yelahaka.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1685822

That means if you are coming from NH48 turn left at Neelamangala (towards Tumkur). If you are coming from Shimoga side, need not go till Neelamangala.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2010 at 09:02.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:35   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you trying to say Mudigere or Kottigehara?? Looks like you have mixed up the names
Old 25th February 2010, 14:24   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Are you trying to say Mudigere or Kottigehara?? Looks like you have mixed up the names
mudigere to belur roads r bad -sorry they just sound similar to me i gave it a common ending my fault.

Last edited by GR8NATIVE : 25th February 2010 at 14:26.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:26   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Little OT query, need to know which private bus reaches Bangalore early? say around 6 or 6:30? or should i stick to KSRTC?

Also hows the road condition from BC road to Dharmasthala via guruvayanakere - Ujre??
Old 26th February 2010, 17:08   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mudigere to belur roads r bad -sorry they just sound similar to me i gave it a common ending my fault.
Actually Belur to Cheekanalli(20kms) patch up work is done, so no big potholes there, And patching work is going on for remaining till mudigere(another 20kms), so should be better road to drive than Shiradi.
Old 26th February 2010, 23:11   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Little OT query, need to know which private bus reaches Bangalore early? say around 6 or 6:30? or should i stick to KSRTC?

Also hows the road condition from BC road to Dharmasthala via guruvayanakere - Ujre??
Hi Lohit,

Most of the private buses reach Blore by 6.30/7.00 to Anand Rao circle or Majestic.

If you want to come in Sleeper try out VRL, Durgamba , Sugama, Ideal travels. Pragathi, Manjunath, Vishal are a bit slow.

Again it depends on your luck, traffic and driver.

Try out Durgamba Route 10, I usually come by it. The drivers are fast. But dont expect a good sleep since they cant see any potholes.

If you are coming by Volvo try out KSRTC volov's which leave before 9.45PM. These will reach by 6.30AM. VRL Volvo is also fast.

There is also a new SEA BIRD ISUZU bus launched, you can give a try for it.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:51   #1755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Lohit,

Most of the private buses reach Blore by 6.30/7.00 to Anand Rao circle or Majestic.

If you want to come in Sleeper try out VRL, Durgamba , Sugama, Ideal travels. Pragathi, Manjunath, Vishal are a bit slow.

Again it depends on your luck, traffic and driver.

Try out Durgamba Route 10, I usually come by it. The drivers are fast. But dont expect a good sleep since they cant see any potholes.

If you are coming by Volvo try out KSRTC volov's which leave before 9.45PM. These will reach by 6.30AM. VRL Volvo is also fast.

There is also a new SEA BIRD ISUZU bus launched, you can give a try for it.
Ny best bet is the KSRTC Volvo. Very good service. PLUS you get back-up as well.

Most Viewed