Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:41   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Breaking news : Situation in Shimoga, Hassan is not fine. And in Mangalore they have burnt the Prajavani Newspaper office. Please get an update and travel safely.
Spoke to a friend in Hassan. Hassan is normal today. No incidents reported

Kadri, it was the Kannadaprabha newspaper office which was attacked

Last edited by addyhemmige : 3rd March 2010 at 17:42.
Old 4th March 2010, 01:31   #1787
BHPian

hello friends, any latest update on shiradi ghats and hasan bypass ? will be travelling till Puttur this saturday..
Old 4th March 2010, 04:06   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
hello friends, any latest update on shiradi ghats and hasan bypass ? will be travelling till Puttur this saturday..
Well, these roads does not change in a week's time. One can go through the above posts and get a feel of the state of roads.

Shirady, might need a huge effort and push from the authorities to get back in shape. Until then, it will be a roller coaster ride.
Old 4th March 2010, 08:52   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, these roads does not change in a week's time. One can go through the above posts and get a feel of the state of roads.
Metaphorically, these roads have not changed in last decade
so any page canbe referred to know the condition of Shiradi Ghats
the chances of the random page status matching the today's status is near 100%.

Old 4th March 2010, 09:04   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi chikku,
Why don't you try going via Charmadi ghat? Check out the tbhp thread titled "scenic charmadi", as per which the ghat road is in good condition now, since heavy vehicles are not being allowed to ply.

You could try out Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi Ghat- Ujire-Belthangady-Uppinangadi-Puttur.

I am not sure of the condition of the 20km stretch from Belthangady (Guruvayanakere) to Uppinangadi. If this stretch is bad, you could do Ujire-Nelliyadi-Uppinangadi-Puttur, though this may add another 15 - 20 kms to the distance.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:21   #1791
Team-BHP Support

Last Saturday I traveled via Sampaje Ghats, twice. Once in a Jeep and then again in Indica Taxi, to get both experience. Man, the things I do just to post in this thread.

It is in bad shape, but manageable. It is not Shiradi bad. They were patching up that day, by now the road must be fully patched up and must be in decent enough shape.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:07   #1792
Senior - BHPian

I also did a Mysore-Mangalore drive in the last week in the Lancer with 5 on board.It was so bad that at times the front bumper and the exhaust tip would scrape the road

I would advise travelling through Shiradi anytime over the other routes.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:29   #1793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I also did a Mysore-Mangalore drive in the last week in the Lancer with 5 on board.It was so bad that at times the front bumper and the exhaust tip would scrape the road
5 people in a low riding Lancer can totally alter the experience. But didn't you see them patching the road? I was mostly climbing the ghats in 4th gear in the Jeep. But cars needed to keep to 1st or 2nd, if they valued their cars. On the way back, the Indica kept to 2nd gear in all the bad stretches.

The trouble spot is right between Sampaje Gate and Madikeri, that's about 25Kms I think.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:37   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I would advise travelling through Shiradi anytime over the other routes.
Charmadi ghat is in good condition and it has been updated in recent threads also.

Shiradi ghat is expected to be completely repaired by June. Currently Shiradi ghat is not advisable.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:44   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
5 people in a low riding Lancer can totally alter the experience. But didn't you see them patching the road? I was mostly climbing the ghats in 4th gear in the Jeep. But cars needed to keep to 1st or 2nd, if they valued their cars. On the way back, the Indica kept to 2nd gear in all the bad stretches.

The trouble spot is right between Sampaje Gate and Madikeri, that's about 25Kms I think.

Nopes ...there wasnt any work going on ..
yeah ...the low slung lancer was always going to have problems on such roads..at some stretches where i had to stop to a zero and then slowly crawl..we were passed by Jeep's which were going as if it was an expressway.

The road after the ghats were narrow but awesome.

About Shiradi ...we didnt have any problems when returning ..yeah the surface was bad at places ..but the problem hairpin bends have been concreted ...but we did cover Mangalore-Bangalore in the usual 5.5 hours..as there wasnt much traffic during the afternoon ,we were able to negotiate shiradi without any problem.

If driving during the day ,I would still say NH48 is the one to take
Old 4th March 2010, 15:04   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic

Welcome back Speesathya
Old 4th March 2010, 22:48   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
The entire Hassan bypass has been asphalted. I travelled on 18th of last month and as far as my memory goes, i am seing the bypass in this good condition for the first time in the last 10 years.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:58   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
The entire Hassan bypass has been asphalted. I travelled on 18th of last month and as far as my memory goes, i am seing the bypass in this good condition for the first time in the last 10 years.
The bypass is in a good condition for the first time ever since it's existence
Old 5th March 2010, 11:49   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The bypass is in a good condition for the first time ever since it's existence
Drove by that road just yesterday... What used to take 25 minutes earlier, now takes only 6-7 minutes...
Old 5th March 2010, 12:21   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I had just been on the route you mentioned last weekend. The road conditions are very good for most part of the route.

Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri is rough in some patches but easily manageable. Sringeri-Agumbe road is very rough for the initial 2 kms, but is good for the rest of the way. Agumbe ghat is manageable. They have patched up the hair-pin bends.

The worst part of the route comes after Someshwara after you take the right turn to Haladi. It is very rough. My car started rattling after this stretch. After Haladi, it is a very good road till Koteshwara-Kundapura
Thanks Addy. Can you provide detailed directions from Chikmagalur - Agumbe? As I understand it, I have to take a right for Aldur on the C'magalur - Mudigere road and then a right after crossing the bridge at Balehonnur. Is the Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri road pretty conspicuous/with signages or would I have to ask around for directions?

Most Viewed