Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 15:11   #1861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Two questions.
How do I get into Magadi Road from Majestic?
Are there any good restaurants with clean rest rooms on the way to Shimoga-Kollur?
From majestic you need to take the railway station road which goes towards Rajaji Nagar.

From railway station first signal near station left then you will get the railway under bridge (Back entrance of railway station)from again left , again you will get a railway under bridge, afetr Indian oil petrol pump you will get a junction one more left, the other road goes to rajaji nagar.

At the dead end you will reach leprosy hospital from there a right thats Magadi road.

Max 4/5 KMs from Railway station to Leprosy hospital.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:47   #1862
BHPian

I will be driving to Udupi/Manipal next week end. Experts in this route please suggest a good road to take.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:27   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I will be driving to Udupi/Manipal next week end. Experts in this route please suggest a good road to take.
An acquaintance of mine drives to Bangalore almost every week to get supplies for his business. He says, after trying out all possible roads, the best route is Tumkur - Shimoga - Agumbe. According to him, it is the most reliable and the least stressful. I plan to take this the next time I drive. Last time I had driven via CKH - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe. Apparently the condition has deteriorated since.

However, other TBHPians seem to prefer Belur - Moodigere - Charmadi - Karkala. See the reports in the last few pages.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:44   #1864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
An acquaintance of mine drives to Bangalore almost every week to get supplies for his business. He says, after trying out all possible roads, the best route is Tumkur - Shimoga - Agumbe. According to him, it is the most reliable and the least stressful. I plan to take this the next time I drive. Last time I had driven via CKH - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe. Apparently the condition has deteriorated since.

However, other TBHPians seem to prefer Belur - Moodigere - Charmadi - Karkala. See the reports in the last few pages.
Good that you asked this question.
Even I wanted an info dump on this for a long time . When to use the Birur/Shimoga route, when to use CKH and when to use Charmadi.
Old 21st March 2010, 18:05   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a trip to Kollur. Took about 9 hr 45 mins for onward and 9 hrs 15 mins return with about half hour breaks in between. Drove a bit fast on the way back. Got an average FE of about 12.8 kmpl overall. Traffic was very sparse on most roads.

The biggest hurdle was the stretch from Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala. It is in terrible shape with mountain high humps. Scraped the bottom very hard in many places. Hope it is fine. Avoided some of that stretch by joining Nice road till Bannerghatta road on the way back.

Went through Shimoga, Ayanur, Hosanagara and back the same route. Had initially planned to come back through Belur, Halebidu, but dropped the plan since I had to reach home before 6pm today. Road condition is pretty good in most stretches, some rough segments in between Shimoga and Kollur, but overall pretty much driveable.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:01   #1866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just back from a trip to Kollur. Took about 9 hr 45 mins for onward and 9 hrs 15 mins return with about half hour breaks in between. Drove a bit fast on the way back. Got an average FE of about 12.8 kmpl overall. Traffic was very sparse on most roads.

The biggest hurdle was the stretch from Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala. It is in terrible shape with mountain high humps. Scraped the bottom very hard in many places. Hope it is fine. Avoided some of that stretch by joining Nice road till Bannerghatta road on the way back.

Went through Shimoga, Ayanur, Hosanagara and back the same route. Had initially planned to come back through Belur, Halebidu, but dropped the plan since I had to reach home before 6pm today. Road condition is pretty good in most stretches, some rough segments in between Shimoga and Kollur, but overall pretty much driveable.

Was NICE road not of any help for your destination? The other way I have realized is to use NH207 through Dobaspet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1685822 (Post # 32)
Old 21st March 2010, 19:28   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was NICE road not of any help for your destination? The other way I have realized is to use NH207 through Dobaspet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1685822 (Post # 32)
We started from here at 6am, so went through city to Yeshwantpur and onwards to Tumkur road. Took NICE road while coming back. Did not try 207 as I felt it was too long a route.
Old 21st March 2010, 20:15   #1868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We started from here at 6am, so went through city to Yeshwantpur and onwards to Tumkur road. Took NICE road while coming back. Did not try 207 as I felt it was too long a route.
I do agree its a long route. But if one is returning in the evening during peak hours, and if he/she stays a near Whitefield area, it may a good time saving option in spite of the distance.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:21   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post

There was road laying activity between Shimoga and Agumbe during De'09. If this work has been completed then the above mentioned route would be the best in my opinion.

In the South I have noticed this happening only in KA ie to break our heads to find alternate routes like the above so as to avoid the NHs that are in horrendous shape ! But personally I like KA SHs as they are more scenic. So ultimately its a compromise worth the act !
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:58   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Updates on the Mysore-Mangalore stretch .

I did Mangalore -Mysore in 3 hours 45 minutes.The bad stretches on the ghat is being repaired now and its just a small stretch.
The diversion that one needed to take near Kushal nagar is still there ,but this time ,I tool advice from the locals and the drove all the way till Suntikoppa .The Kushal nagar -Suntikoppa stretch is freshly laid .There are clear signboards which direct you to madikeri.Even this diversion was a good road which goes on to meet the narrow road that you would otherwise take from Kushalnagar.

Sampaje to Mani is superbb!!

While coming back ,by mistake we missed this diversion and ended up taking the road after East End hotel in madikeri ..

And this was one of the best mistakes that I have done .There are signs directing one to Mysore and this road till Suntikoppa is just awesome ...winding roads,excellent condition ...i can go on and on .

Bangalore(BTM)-Mangalore via Mysore =423 kms
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:00   #1871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Updates on the Mysore-Mangalore stretch .
Bangalore(BTM)-Mangalore via Mysore =423 kms
Can you please explain the route from Madekeri to Mangalore? I have no idea about this stretch. Its now difficult to search in this thread as its very heavy .
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:28   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can you please explain the route from Madekeri to Mangalore? I have no idea about this stretch. Its now difficult to search in this thread as its very heavy .

Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullya-Puttur-Mani (SH88)

SH 88 meets the NH48 at Mani ...from there its Mani-BC Road-Pumpwell -Mangalore

Is this what you were looking at ?
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:31   #1873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is this what you were looking at ?
Thanks that's what I was looking for. This was just for my info. Not planning to drive.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:39   #1874
BHPian

Quote:

What is the condition of Mani-BC Road-Pumpwell road.?
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:10   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
What is the condition of Mani-BC Road-Pumpwell road.?
I take a left from Melkar .But ,the last time (about 4 weeks ago) that I had driven via BC road,there was a big jam at BC road due to the incomplete bridge .
4 laning work is going on ,but Mani-Mangalore manageable in a hour

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks