Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 16:16   #1921
BHPian

I think mining has come to a stand still in Karnataka. How come the ore trucks again?
Old 29th March 2010, 21:43   #1922
BHPian

OT: Two landmark events in Mangalore

1: Launch of Volvo Services between Mangalore and Manipal

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

2: Launch of Air India Service between Mangalore and Delhi

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
Old 30th March 2010, 04:18   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
No particular reason for taking that route, just thght this was a more easier route. Trying to check hows the condition if the condition of riponpet is better then we can take that route.
I travelled that route last week. The Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara - Riponpet - Ayanur road isn't in too great shape. Lot of pothole ridden sections on the way, and the 100 kms or so took me about 3 hours+ this time, at least half an hour or more longer than what it had taken me the last time (which was about 4-5 months ago)
Old 30th March 2010, 09:03   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I travelled that route last week. The Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara - Riponpet - Ayanur road isn't in too great shape. Lot of pothole ridden sections on the way, and the 100 kms or so took me about 3 hours+ this time, at least half an hour or more longer than what it had taken me the last time (which was about 4-5 months ago)
Is it really bad? Coz we would be travelling there at night. Theres an alternate route via Tirthahalli from Shimoga....how abt that?
Old 30th March 2010, 10:21   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it really bad? Coz we would be travelling there at night. Theres an alternate route via Tirthahalli from Shimoga....how abt that?
Possible routes to Kollur from Shimoga
1. Shimoga - Ayanur-Hosnagara-Kollur
2. Shimoga - Theerthally - Nagara-Kollur
3. Shimoga - Theerthally - Agumbe-Someshwara-Vandse-Kollur
When I last travelled to Kundapura (Dec-Jan 2010) Most of the roads between Kundapura- Someshwara were getting patched up
Old 30th March 2010, 10:34   #1926
Senior - BHPian

This stretch is in bad shape fr a while, Hosnagar till nagara is really pathetic but there after it was decent, however this info is a year old

Quote:
Old 30th March 2010, 11:11   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Possible routes to Kollur from Shimoga
1. Shimoga - Ayanur-Hosnagara-Kollur
2. Shimoga - Theerthally - Nagara-Kollur
3. Shimoga - Theerthally - Agumbe-Someshwara-Vandse-Kollur
When I last travelled to Kundapura (Dec-Jan 2010) Most of the roads between Kundapura- Someshwara were getting patched up
The 2nd Route was under consideration first but it seems its longer than the first one. But if road conditions in R2 are drivable then the longer way does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
This stretch is in bad shape fr a while, Hosnagar till nagara is really pathetic but there after it was decent, however this info is a year old
Any latest updates on the routes?
Old 30th March 2010, 12:04   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2nd Route was under consideration first but it seems its longer than the first one. But if road conditions in R2 are drivable then the longer way does not matter.

Any latest updates on the routes?
Going via Agumbe-Someshwara will be longer. Maybe you can take the Thirthally route, but any idea of road conditions between Thirthally & Nagara. Should be a scenic drive though.

The last time I went to Kollur, I took the Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagar-Nagara-Kollur. Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara section was rough , but other than that the roads were good.

While coming back, I took Kollur-Vandse-Shankarnarayana-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur-Hassan-Bangalore route. This route was very good.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:09   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
While coming back, I took Kollur-Vandse-Shankarnarayana-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur-Hassan-Bangalore route. This route was very good.
I took this route (opposite direction) while driving from Bangalore to Kundapura couple of weeks back. Road condiitions are good for most part except for some rough patches just before Agumbe (from Sringeri side) and narrow roads b/w Someshwara and Haladi. However, it is an awesome drive from Someshwara to Kollur (I diverted towards NH17 some 20 kms before Kollur) on the internal roads as you would drive through thick vegetation and nice scenary.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th March 2010 at 13:12.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:27   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going via Agumbe-Someshwara will be longer. Maybe you can take the Thirthally route, but any idea of road conditions between Thirthally & Nagara. Should be a scenic drive though.

The last time I went to Kollur, I took the Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagar-Nagara-Kollur. Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara section was rough , but other than that the roads were good.

We are also going to take the chickmagalur route while coming back but since we are travelling at night towards kollur, we may not be able to take this route, hence, wanted to attempted the faster shimoga route. Atleast till shimoga its going to be fine. I think the one from Tirthahalli towards Nagara is the one we most probably take even though it is longer seeing that lot of reports have come in stating the riponpet roads are not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I took this route (opposite direction) while driving from Bangalore to Kundapura couple of weeks back. Road condiitions are good for most part except for some rough patches just before Agumbe (from Sringeri side) and narrow roads b/w Someshwara and Haladi. However, it is an awesome drive from Someshwara to Kollur (I diverted towards NH17 some 20 kms before Kollur) on the internal roads as you would drive through thick vegetation and nice scenary.
While coming we are planning to take Kundapura agumbe chickmagalur hassan bangalore.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:13   #1931
BHPian

I will be travelling to kollur this weekend. I am planning to take Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagar-Nagara-Kollur. While coming back I would like to visit Chikmagalur too. So am planning to take Kollur-Vandse-Shankarnarayana-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur as per the other members suggested. But in the map I could find another way also, ie Kollur-Nagara-Tirthahalli-Chikmagalur. Again from Chikmagalur, I can find two routs, One is via Hassan and the other via Aresikare-Thumkur. So can someone suggest the best route.

Last edited by Speed-Gladiator : 31st March 2010 at 10:28.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:34   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I will be travelling to kollur this weekend. I am planning to take Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagar-Nagara-Kollur. While coming back I would like to visit Chikmagalur too. So am planning to take Kollur-Vandse-Shankarnarayana-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur as per the other members suggested. But in the map I could find another way also, ie Kollur-Nagara-Tirthahalli-Chikmagalur. Again from Chikmagalur, I can find two routs, One is via Hassan and the other via Aresikare-Thumkur. So can someone suggest the best route.
To Chikmagalur, the route via Vandse-Haladi-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur has good roads all the way to Chikmagalur.

Kollur-Nagara-Thirthahalli-Koppa-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur is a more shorter route. I don't know about road conditions between Nagara-Thirthalli-Koppa. Koppa-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur has good roads. If you feel you can manage rough roads, I would suggest taking this route.

From Chikmagalur, better take the Hassan route since it has good roads all the way to Bangalore and you can avoid Nelamangala traffic as well by deviating via Magadi.

The route is Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Magadi-Bangalore
Old 31st March 2010, 11:41   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did a Kollur trip a couple of weeks back on the Kollur - Ayanur - Nagara - Route and it was pretty much good except for some rough patches and couple of small diversions. Wanted to come back in a different route but stuck to the same route as I had to reach back in a bit hurry. See some pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0190.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0195.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0192.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0235.jpg  

Last edited by vasoo : 31st March 2010 at 11:47.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:31   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I did a Kollur trip a couple of weeks back on the Kollur - Ayanur - Nagara - Route and it was pretty much good except for some rough patches and couple of small diversions. Wanted to come back in a different route but stuck to the same route as I had to reach back in a bit hurry. See some pics below.
Cool. Which is the exact route you took...did you take kollur - nagara - hosanagara - riponpet - ayanur?
Old 31st March 2010, 13:27   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Which is the exact route you took...did you take kollur - nagara - hosanagara - riponpet - ayanur?
Yes. I took that route in both directions. The road can get as bad as what you see in the last picture and that too for a couple of kms. Not further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks