Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 19:28   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Oh ya. i saw these volvos other day. Any news how is the public resposne for volvo in Mangalore/Udupi. I surely will try to catch a volvo this weekend!
Old 31st March 2010, 21:31   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Oh ya. i saw these volvos other day. Any news how is the public resposne for volvo in Mangalore/Udupi.
The Volvo's have got a overwhelming response ...

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
Old 31st March 2010, 23:48   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I will be driving to Udupi/Manipal next week end. Experts in this route please suggest a good road to take.
Folks, I am starting tomorrow afternoon around 1 PM, will be taking Magadi-Kunigal road to Hasan. I am bit confused after Hasan on which route to take. Here are the options,

1) Hasan - Belur - Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujre-Karkala- Udupi (Is it correct)

2) Hasan - Shiradi Ghat - BC Road - Udupi (Need driving directions)

3) Hasan - Shiradi Ghat - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi (Well versed in this route)

Since i will be driving ghat section after sunset, which will be the better option?
Old 1st April 2010, 00:19   #1939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
The Volvo's have got a overwhelming response ...
Yes, it is a huge hit. My dad already traveled in it, calls it heavenly. Doesn't want to travel in normal bus anymore.

However, be wary of private bus owner's association of this area. This kind of success of KSRTC buses will force them to bribe the politicians to the hilt and stop the service. They successfully managed it with Bangalore-Mangalore train, they ensured it continued towards Kannur instead of Kundapur.

Quote:

3) Hasan - Shiradi Ghat - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi (Well versed in this route)

Since i will be driving ghat section after sunset, which will be the better option?
First route is correct. Regarding the other routes, you can skip Mangalore and save 20kms if you turn right just before B.C road towards Bantawal-Moodubidri-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi.

I think first option will be better.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:52   #1940

Quote:
Folks, I am starting tomorrow afternoon around 1 PM, will be taking Magadi-Kunigal road to Hasan. I am bit confused after Hasan on which route to take. Here are the options,

I have just come from manipal to Bangalore yesterday via the first route I can confirm the roads are excellent with hardly any traffic on them. Only single lane patch with some rough areas was Mudigere to Belur.

But most of this section is quite winding with sudden sharp turns so may be a bit risky at night.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:54   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docanurag View Post
I have just come from manipal to Bangalore yesterday via the first route I can confirm the roads are excellent with hardly any traffic on them. Only single lane patch with some rough areas was Mudigere to Belur.

But most of this section is quite winding with sudden sharp turns so may be a bit risky at night.
I think you have taken the Gonibeedu route from Mudigere to Belur. There is one more route from Mudigere to Belur thro' Gendehalli and this road is in good condition ( as on 13th March) without any potholes although a bit narrow. you can try this road on your return journey.
Old 4th April 2010, 18:38   #1942
Senior - BHPian

4th April Update

The best way to travel to Kundapura or Maravanthe is following:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Shimoga - Ayanur - Riponpet - Nagara - Nittur - Kollur - Maravanthe

Came back just today. The roads are pretty decent throughout with some really good sections. The road is slightly patchy from Riponpet - Nagara but its drivable at good speeds.

While coming back we had to visit Murudeshwar hence, took the following route.

Maravanthe - Murudeshwar - Honavar - Sagar - Shimoga - Tiptur - Tumkur - Bangalore.

The Honavar - Sagar ghat roads have been done up really well. It was bad last year but yesterday it was in really good condition.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:30   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore to Kundapura the roads are fine just that you will get some rough surface now occasionally. the traffic is bit high at times making overtaking a pain!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:18   #1944
Senior - BHPian

BTW, i saw many fully loaded MAN trucks making frequent trips while travelling between Mangalore - Suratkal? Any idea whats up with these trucks? Hope these tucks dont damage our roads

Also saw a Volvo, a fully loaded one like the one comes to E-city in Bangalore during peak hour

Nice to see D.K/Udupi people enjoying comfort of Volvo!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:35   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Yes even i happened to notice many MAN trucks.....

Spotted 3 volvos which heading in the same direction in the span of an hour....

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
BTW, i saw many fully loaded MAN trucks making frequent trips while travelling between Mangalore - Suratkal? Any idea whats up with these trucks? Hope these tucks dont damage our roads

Also saw a Volvo, a fully loaded one like the one comes to E-city in Bangalore during peak hour

Nice to see D.K/Udupi people enjoying comfort of Volvo!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:48   #1946
BHPian

I think these would have come with some cargo to the port. Else its being used by the timber yards.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:46   #1947
BHPian

A quick dump about the roads

Drove from Bangalore to Udupi and back via Tumkur - Shimoga - Agumbe over the weekend. Distance is exactly 420km which is same as Charmadi or Sringeri. Total driving time about 7:15 hours either way which again is in line with other options.

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur: Nothing much to say except that Tumkur BP is in very good condition.
Tumkur - Shimoga: A bit rough between Kadur and Tarikere. Watch out for the nasty rumbler strips at the start of Bhadravati BP. I missed and it literally shook every nut in the car.
Shimoga - Tirthahalli - Agumbe: No potholes. Most of the road has been recently relaid and it even has reflectors in curves! A pleasure to drive on.
Agumbe - Udupi: Rough stretches between Someshwara and Hebri but manageable. Agumbe ghat as such has been relaid and is in decent condition.

Took the Koteshwara - Haladi - Someshwara route on my way back as I had to drop somebody off en-route. Road is excelled upto Haladi. Widening work is in progress from then on but the road is quite narrow in patches.

Overall a good route if you have to travel somebody with motion sickness or hate twists. Whole route is pretty much straight and you finish all the climbing down in the 10 odd km's of Agumbe.

On a side note the traffic has increased by orders of magnitude between Mangalore and Kundapura. I remember the days when we used to be able to reach Mangalore in an hour on a Bajaj Chetak! Took me a solid hour and half to reach Kadri from Manipal that too on Good Friday at 4pm.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:48   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Yes even i happened to notice many MAN trucks.....

Spotted 3 volvos which heading in the same direction in the span of an hour....
Same here. Saw quite a few MAN trucks but they were quite well behaved unlike the express buses and minivans.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:56   #1949
BHPian

OT: At last I am on a car hunt expedition and one of the important aspect for finalizing my car is the Bangalore - Mangalore road, since its a integral part on my travel every month from past 7 plus years. And I can get better inputs since I have a lot of friends in this thread and also feel homely in this thread.

I will be driving with my better half and occasionally with my parents. So was on a look out for a safe and reliable car knowing how the road has been over the years.

My budget is around 4.5 to 5 L. From the past two weeks have been visiting the showrooms and still not made my mind on a particular car. But have finalized a few models at last.

1. Chevrolet Beat - its in mind

2. Ford Figo - its also in mind

3. VW Polo - its in my heart and the base model is a bit close to pocket

4. Skoda Fabia - its only in my heart, a perfect safe car.

5. Tata Indica Vista Aura - its in my mind

6. Fiat Punto - needs to be reviewed this weekend.

Hyundai and Maruti has not been able to impress me much so not in mind. Hyundai because of service and Maruti because of safety.

So which one would be a best buy and should i go for a petrol or a diesel version.

The Indian cars like Indica gives a assurance of service help incase I get stuck somewhere, but cant dream that with the European cars like Fabia or Polo. And will these cars be able to manage the monsoon conditions where roads become hell.

Last edited by kadri007 : 5th April 2010 at 23:02.
Old 6th April 2010, 05:54   #1950
Team-BHP Support

Kadri,

There are other threads on this. Travelogue section is not the right place to discuss this. Use the "What car" section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks