Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 17:19   #1981
MCR
BHPian

Its good news that the ghat has improved. But i think it will not survive the monsoon. The road and mud below the road gets wet in monsoon and once heavy vehicles move over them, than its back to square one.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:32   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Its good news that the ghat has improved. But i think it will not survive the monsoon. The road and mud below the road gets wet in monsoon and once heavy vehicles move over them, than its back to square one.
It is the same story repeated every year and this year it wouldn't be any different, unless they do cement concrete roads for the entire shiradi stretch.
Old 15th April 2010, 00:44   #1983

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Kukke this weekend,16-4-2010. Please suggest the best drivable route to Kukke. By reading the above threads, Shiradi ghat (Sakleshpur - Gundya-kukke)road is in good shape now. Or should I take Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Dharmasthala-Kukke ?
Old 15th April 2010, 09:16   #1984
BHPian

I came back this Monday via Shiradi ghat, the route is in good condition. But take the Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal route to reach Hassan.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:33   #1985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I came back this Monday via Shiradi ghat, the route is in good condition. But take the Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal route to reach Hassan.
How is this stretch in the night?
Also it was mentioned that there were many places where re-laying was on-going and hence one needs to be careful.
Is it the same now as well? (I think this was somewhere close to the NICE road intersection to Magadi road)
Old 15th April 2010, 12:58   #1986
BHPian

Does anybody know the present status of the Madikeri~Sulliya~Mangalore road ?
Old 15th April 2010, 19:30   #1987
BHPian

Some good news ! ?

NHAI to improve highways in Mangalore

The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has decided to transfer the 130-km stretch between B.C. Road (near Mangalore) and Hassan on national highway 48 to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for improvement.
The Ministry has also decided to transfer nine other stretches on other national highways in the State, including the188-km stretch between Shimoga and Mangalore on NH 13, to the NHAI for improvement.
All these stretches are presently maintained by the State Government through the State's National Highway Division under the Public Works Department.
The other stretches “being transferred” for improvement and which will come under Phase 4 B are: Chitradurga and Hospet (119 km); Hospet and Bellary (73 km); Bellary and Gooty (77 km); Hospet-Hubli-Ankola (271 km); Gundlupet-Coimbatore (Kerala border - 26 km); Hoskote-Dabaspet (89 km); Tamil Nadu border-Bangalore (204 km) and Gulbarga-Bijapur-Humnabad (200 km).
The major beneficiaries of this decision will be the people of Mangalore. This is because all the three national highways, NH 48, NH 17 and NH 13 connecting Mangalore will come under the NHAI. On completion of improvement, these highways will improve connectivity between the port city and hinterlands of the State.

Source : CII institute of logistics newsletter dated 14.04.2010
Old 15th April 2010, 20:25   #1988
Team-BHP Support

Yes I also saw this recently published in the Hindu.

The Hindu : Karnataka News : NHAI to take care of 10 stretches of highways
Old 16th April 2010, 13:16   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Some good news finally.

hope NHAI will 4 lane the Hassan - BC road stretch. Then it will be an awesome drive between BLR and MLR like they did the BC road MLR stretch. if not 4 lane i am hoping to see a pothole less decent 2 lane roads
Old 16th April 2010, 13:18   #1990
Senior - BHPian

recshenoy, and good road will be more then sufficient our NHAI is really not good at 4lane work they surely will take 10+ years for that and we dont want more trees to go:(
Old 17th April 2010, 18:53   #1991
BHPian

PIL says rail link to coastal region poor

Seeks Extension Of Mangalore Trains To Karwar

TIMES NEWS NETWORK - 17 April 2010

Bangalore: The high court on Friday ordered notice to the ministry of railways, South Western Railway and Konkan Railway Corporation on a PIL seeking extension of Bangalore-Mangalore trains to Karwar through Konkan Railway route. S Shankar Bhat and four other advocates who hail from Uttara and Dakshina Kannada districts but practise in Bangalore, have filed the PIL claiming neglect of the coastal region as far as rail connectivity is concerned.
“There are no direct train services from Bangalore to Udupi, Kundapur, Bhatkal, Kumta, Gokarna and Karwar. The state and Union governments are not giving enough priority to extension of rail services. Though a representation was given on Sept. 2, 2009 seeking extension of both day and night trains to Karwar, there is no response. While the demand is for extending the train services to Karwar, they have extended the Bangalore-Mangalore train to Kannur in Kerala. Because of plying of ore-laden lorries, the road between Bangalore-Mangalore and Hubli-Karwar is damaged. It takes 10-12 hours to reach Mangalore from Bangalore and 6-7 hours from Hubli to Karwar. The national highways 48, 17 and 206 are unsafe and travelling on these routes is a nightmare due to traffic jams. There are no landslides on this route. The denial is purely for other considerations,” M Ram Bhat, senior counsel appearing for the petitioner, told the court.

Last edited by JMaruru : 17th April 2010 at 18:54.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:03   #1992
BHPian

That's a real good news. Currently hardly some 60 passengers travel in the Bangalore - Mangalore - Kannur train between Mangalore & Kannur. The train is just running because of politics and not in the interest of common people. Hope at last railway wakes up after Court Verdict.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:02   #1993
Team-BHP Support

Yawn, Yawn.... All these news about roads becoming better, trains coming north of Mangalore are all dreams until they happen. What can you expect from people who couldn't complete Mangalore-Suratkal 4-laning in 4 years?

When I was studying primary school in late 70s in Udupi, they were talking about road widening between Manipal and Udupi. Guess what, it is happening now.

Regarding 4-laned ghats roads between Bangalore and coast, I hope it will be ready for my post-retirement long drives to Bangalore and back.

Now that I have partially shifted to Bangalore, I will be travelling between Bangalore and Manipal 2-3 times a month. I'll be able to keep a hawk's eye on the various ghats I will be taking.

This time I took Kudremukh ghat while going to Bangalore. The road is bad between Belur and Kottigehara, that is the only bad stretch. However, this route is very slow. I took 6 hours to reach Hassan. But Magadi road was a breeze, can't believe there is such clean and traffic free road near Bangalore.

Coming back I took KSRTC Airavath (Volvo) until Madikeri and Indica Taxi after that. Hard to judge the road from the Volvo, so I won't comment on that. I was more aware of people throwing up all around me, thankfully into plastic bags they had brought. But on the Sampaje ghat, only the first two KMs from the Sampaje gate are bad, rest is fully patched up.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:37   #1994
BHPian

Samurai San, You have written about the Belur to Kottigehara stretch being bad. I drove on this stretch a month ago on a Wagon-R and found it very good. Has it gone bad in such a short notice ??

I went from Hassan to Dharmasthala thro' Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - DSL & returned back via the same route.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:00   #1995
Senior - BHPian

The route via Madikeri is a breeze now .Except for a few minor sretches on the ghat.

Most Viewed