Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 15:40   #1996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Samurai San, You have written about the Belur to Kottigehara stretch being bad. I drove on this stretch a month ago on a Wagon-R and found it very good. Has it gone bad in such a short notice ??

I went from Hassan to Dharmasthala thro' Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - DSL & returned back via the same route.
Good because you took the Gendehalli route to Mudigere whereas Samurai might be talking abouit Cheekanahalli - Gonibeedu route to Mudigere from Belur which is of course in a bad shape as of today.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:46   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Good because you took the Gendehalli route to Mudigere whereas Samurai might be talking abouit Cheekanahalli - Gonibeedu route to Mudigere from Belur which is of course in a bad shape as of today.
Yes, we were also about to take the Gonibeedu route, and at Belur, we checked with a cop on the road condition, who directed us to take the Gendehalli route to Mudigere which in the end proved to be a blessing as we had a comfortable drive.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:50   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
recshenoy, and good road will be more then sufficient our NHAI is really not good at 4lane work they surely will take 10+ years for that and we dont want more trees to go:(

I agree. Also read in vijaya karnataka that CM BSY talking about "shatpatha" (6 lane) between Mangalore and Hassan. I read it again and again to confirm if its true. Hope some progress will happen soon.
Atleast after 10 - 15 years we will have 4 lane road between MLR and BLR.

OT: Heard that Volvo b/n Kasargod -MLR -Udupi running housefull. My brother was telling. "there will be big group of people standing in bus stand ignoring all express buses, once a volvo arrives all of them disappaer inside already full volvo"

Hope KSRTC will get more volvos to this route soon!
Old 19th April 2010, 22:25   #1999
BHPian

Yesterday my cousin went to Mangalore by Durgamba Motors AC Sleeper. The bus left Bangalore at 9PM and it reached Managlore at 5AM.

At last buses are reaching Mangalore early like olden days.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:51   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
OT: Heard that Volvo b/n Kasargod -MLR -Udupi running housefull. My brother was telling. "there will be big group of people standing in bus stand ignoring all express buses, once a volvo arrives all of them disappaer inside already full volvo"
Perhaps this toon published in Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World! says it all
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-31520100419.jpg  

Old 20th April 2010, 10:50   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Perhaps this toon published in Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World! says it all
At last something to smile! Hope it will continue and would love to see no private buses between Udupi - Mangalore. Volvo buses were running full capacity even on Sunday last week. One last thing, we need to get a day/night train from Bangalore to Udupi at least.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:58   #2002
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
At last something to smile! Hope it will continue and would love to see no private buses between Udupi - Mangalore. Volvo buses were running full capacity even on Sunday last week. One last thing, we need to get a day/night train from Bangalore to Udupi at least.

No private buses from Mangalore - Udupi.

I think the train service from Bangalore to Mangalore was delayed because of the Private bus operators lobby.
How are the Volvo buses driven? Hope not similar to the private buses. Hope the Volvo's donot set-off a competition among the private operators to drive fast.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:24   #2003
Senior - BHPian

ha ha nice one dkamath

Quote:
No private buses from Mangalore - Udupi.
i too agree. even those crap city buses who are always in hurry. They are such a non sense on road. every time its "bega bega, rites poyi" and race with other buses.

When the road is empty they drive very slowly. reach bus stand late or Go and wait in bus stand!And they start racing when there is lot of traffic with unnecessary honking.

OT:
So we have crossed 2000 posts on this thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:01   #2004
BHPian

I am driving tonight to Udupi. Is the Shiradi route good?

I plan to take - Blore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya-Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:37   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post

I plan to take - Blore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Shiradi-Gundya-Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi
Actually Shiradi (village) comes after Gundya.

But the ghat between Sakleshpur & Gundya is called Shiradi ghat. Why isn't it called Gundya ghat?
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:59   #2006
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post

adi99, Pls take this route.
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Gendehalli- Kottigehara- Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.

Total distance is 412 Kms. The entire stretch is very good.
Route map attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route.jpg  

Old 25th April 2010, 01:16   #2007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
adi99, Pls take this route.
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Gendehalli- Kottigehara- Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.

Route map attached.
This route is very slow between Belur to Moodubidri. Too many twists in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Samurai San, You have written about the Belur to Kottigehara stretch being bad. I drove on this stretch a month ago on a Wagon-R and found it very good. Has it gone bad in such a short notice ??
It was pretty bad 20 days back.

Three days back drove though Sampaje ghat, it fine now. I did Manipal-Madikeri in just 3.5 hours. The route through Kushalnagar is under construction, the route goes through many diversions. Anyway, I needed to go through Ammati since my Jeep is getting rebuilt around there. My route was Manipal-Karkala-Moodubidri-Bantwala-Mani-Puttur-Sullia-Madikeri-Murnad-Ammati-Polibetta-Tittimati-Hunsur-Mysore-Bangalore. The stretch between Madikeri to Polibetta is feast to your eyes. But the stretch between Polibetta to Hunsur is just magnificent, you'll be driving through nagarhole national park in this stretch. The road between Polibetta to Tittimati is pretty rough, but GV has such roads for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I ripped through it, even Jeeps couldn't keep up. Better to go through Polibetta-Gonikoppal-Tittimati if you are in a sedan.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:41   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

Route map attached.
I plan to travel to Kundapur this weekend and wanted to try the route suggested by MCR. How are the roads between Bangalore and Hassan? I am assuming that if I leave Bangalore by 4 AM on Saturday, I should be able to make it to Kundapur by 3 PM comfortably. Right?
Old 26th April 2010, 14:26   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post
I plan to travel to Kundapur this weekend and wanted to try the route suggested by MCR. How are the roads between Bangalore and Hassan? I am assuming that if I leave Bangalore by 4 AM on Saturday, I should be able to make it to Kundapur by 3 PM comfortably. Right?
The route you are planning is very slow. Though it passes through some beautiful landscape, it would add anywhere between 2-3 hours to your trip.

I would rather suggest one of the two alternatives below

First choice: Bangalore - Tumkur - Arasikere - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Koteshwara - Kundapura. The roads are very good and fast.

Second choice: Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Moodigere - Charmadi - Karkala - Udupi - Kundapura. Again, roads have been reported to be good.

Both the routes above are about the same distance. Total driving time would be about 7.5 - 8 hours.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:27   #2010
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post
Hello Girish,

The roads between Bangalore and Hassan via Magadi road is good. Also you will not encounter much traffic since you plan to start very early in the morning.
As suggested by Samurai San, the road is slow between Belur and Moodabidri, but you can enjoy the fantastic scenery around and it will defenitely be a sight after recent rains. I think you can reach kundapur by 3.00 Pm comfortably.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks